• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 9.....FML

My heart right now.
giphy-downsized.gif

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this gets a 4k release, it's a beautiful looking show. Hulu's audio doesnt sound as good to me as some other services like Apple TV, so Id rewatch just for improved sound alone.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus....do you guys think maybe toranaga gave the command to have that done in order to push everyone against ishido or am I thinking too deeply on this? Seems like that doing that would PISS everyone off and turn every lord against ishido and Ochiba so it would be more destructive than just letting them go

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus....do you guys think maybe toranaga gave the command to have that done in order to push everyone against ishido or am I thinking too deeply on this? Seems like that doing that would PISS everyone off and turn every lord against ishido and Ochiba so it would be more destructive than just letting them go
Mariko clearly is there to rile up the upper class by pushing Ishido to a lose lose situation where he either openly states no one's leaving than the others can drop the pretense of playing dumb that they are hostage or let them go then everyone goes and he loses all leverage
He also can't kill or let Mariko get kill since she's a noble from a prestigious family and she's a guest as well it looks bad on him
Also shes Christian
And since Toranaga made a point about Yabu being predictable he probably counted on him betraying them and Mariko took the opportunity to sacrifice herself

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it doesn't land the ending, the series has been something I consider close to perfect.

There's a few shows that I'd put up there, like HACF, and Reservation Dogs being some of them.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Also can someone clear up why Mariko
dying would matter to everyone in Osaka? Why does Ishido care if she killed herself?

Ishido , trying to extricate himself from Toranaga's high stakes trap, has kinda shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture in the 1600s but honor and shame were huge parts of it. If Ishido fails in his sacred oath to the Taiko as lord of Osaka castle and custodian of the heir, he brings shame to himself.

In the context of this episode, what will likely happen is the Japanese nobility, after hearing about Mariko's death while a guest of Ishido, is not going to be sympathetic to him anymore against his power-hungry rival. This is HUGE for Toranaga. Ishido may try to brush it off all he wants, but his actions have alienated the honor-obsessed samurai class and made Toranaga more palatable to them in comparison..to this peasant who clearly knows nothing of honor, while Mariko is a goddess and a bushido legend who reflects very well on Toranaga. If that's who he surrounds himself with, then he must be honorable as well, right?

Ishido better eliminate Toranaga immediately or he can kiss his ass goodbye.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DinkyDev

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
Hopefully they wrap things up in the first 10 minutes and then spend 50 minutes following Fuji's journey to happiness.

(If she's not in the finale, I riot)

TheCheese

Dec 26, 2017
Ishido , trying to extricate himself from Toranaga's high stakes trap, has kinda shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture in the 1600s but honor and shame were huge parts of it. If Ishido fails in his sacred oath to the Taiko as lord of Osaka castle and custodian of the heir, he brings shame to himself.

In the context of this episode, what will likely happen is the Japanese nobility, after hearing about Mariko's death while a guest of Ishido, is not going to be sympathetic to him anymore against his power-hungry rival. This is HUGE for Toranaga. Ishido may try to brush it off all he wants, but his actions have alienated the honor-obsessed samurai class and made Toranaga more palatable to them in comparison..to this peasant who clearly knows nothing of honor, while Mariko is a goddess and a bushido legend who reflects very well on Toranaga. If that's who he surrounds himself with, then he must be honorable as well, right?

Ishido better eliminate Toranaga immediately or he can kiss his ass goodbye.

You're an expert!

Well done.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My interpretation of the line was "different but familiar" or "different but still beautiful". A single blemish in a perfect garden, but still elegant. The line was himself, sticking out from the crowd, against the grain but still can be part of the whole and add something unique to it.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Apologies if this was explained earlier but what is the significance of Blackthorne being the "second" for Mariko during her seppuku in place of Kiyama?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this was explained earlier but what is the significance of Blackthorne being the "second" for Mariko during her seppuku in place of Kiyama?

He isn't Catholic or Japanese, and thought the entire thing was stupid, but wanted her to have somebody to do it so she didn't suffer.

harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
Wow. This show has to sweep the awards. It's just so good.

Can someone explain / theorize the symbolism of Blackthorne staring at the dry garden? The sand garden. He draws a vertical line it (a line in the sand? heh) and just stares at it for a while. Does it symbolize him wondering if he needs to intervene in the fate of others? Being different than everyone else around him? I found it a neat thing that was left up to interpretation.

I think it's a visual representation of their constant arguments about life and death. Mariko's opinions on life, and particularly death, are flexible, while John's are rigid towards the concept of death, fighting it at every turn in this show and episode, thus the unyielding straight line, clashing among these rippling patterns that rise and fall.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
For Marilo she doesn't want to doom herself to Hell so she needs a second the kill her. It also shows a level of trust and support that Marino didn't have in that moment. She had asked him to not interfere and offering to be there as her second shows he supports her despite not agreeing with her. Showing he respects her enough to support her Japanese and Catholic beliefs which he has struggled with throughout the show at basically every turn.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
He isn't Catholic or Japanese, and thought the entire thing was stupid, but wanted her to have somebody to do it so she didn't suffer.

For Marilo she doesn't want to doom herself to Hell so she needs a second the kill her. It also shows a level of trust and support that Marino didn't have in that moment. She had asked him to not interfere and offering to be there as her second shows he supports her despite not agreeing with her. Showing he respects her enough to support her Japanese and Catholic beliefs which he has struggled with throughout the show at basically every turn.
Thank you.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I would kill for a comedic scene in which Blackthorne is trying in vain to explain what Yabushige did but is without a translator.

Oct 30, 2017
What a fantastic episode, a true emotional roller coaster, multiple outstanding moments. Best episode of the season for me and it has good competition. I can't believe the finale is here. Really was not expecting much of this show going in, never have read the books. I am HOOKED. I have been trying to get my friends to watch it.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017

To add to what the others have written.

He's a Christian, so he knows how conflicted the act of suicide would make her.
He did not want her to be alone in her final moments.
Comitting seppukku with a second is also a safety net. When stabbing yourself you do NOT go for the heart so it will take some time before you die with all your intestines spilling out. Also, you might not have the strength to do the slice, so you end up being in great pain with an abdominal wound and NOT die which would be a great dishonor.

So the second makes sure it happens and that you don't suffer. They are there for you to keep your honor.

I would kill for a comedic scene in which Blackthorne is trying in vain to explain what Yabushige did but is without a translator.

Well, Blackthorne doesn't know though :-D

After one whole episode with zero Toranaga, I think we are going to get a lot of big T for the final episode.

snackshack

Oct 30, 2017
I'm at a loss for words...

Except to say that I don't wanna ever hear any of y'all say Anna Sawai is the weakest actor on the show ever again

People were saying that? Woof!

Not knowing anything about these historical events I would have thought Mariko would make it to S2. Now y'all telling me there isn't going to be a S2? Fuck.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017

To add to this, seppuku is either murder or suicide, depending on how you interpret it. John is also a Christian (despite being Protestant) and murder is also a mortal sin. Mercy killings are still considered murder by the Church of England (like, even today).
So by his faith, he is condemning himself to hell as a murderer to prevent a Catholic from condemning themselves to hell by suicide.
This is why he says, "Hell is no place I haven't already known".

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
To add to this, seppuku is either murder or suicide, depending on how you interpret it. John is also a Christian (despite being Protestant) and murder is also a mortal sin. Mercy killings are still considered murder by the Church of England (like, even today).
So by his faith, he is condemning himself to hell as a murderer to prevent a Catholic from condemning themselves to hell by suicide.
This is why he says, "Hell is no place I haven't already known".
Well he is a pirate sorry privateer
He's no stranger to murder

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Those last 15 minutes holy fuck, after saying all season he is not a warrior blackthorn seriously threw down when it mattered. And Mariko with her hodor holding the door moment… ugh. I'm tearing up. This show is magic, like I think it's serious going to be considered one of those underrated gems of peak tv like the leftovers was.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Those last 15 minutes holy fuck, after saying all season he is not a warrior blackthorn seriously threw down when it mattered. And Mariko with her hodor holding the door moment… ugh. I'm tearing up. This show is magic, like I think it's serious going to be considered one of those underrated gems of peak tv like the leftovers was.
I don't think is underrated? It's doing quite well.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
can someone explain the last few moments of ep 9 for me?
why would ishido sent assassins to grab mariko while she's still in the castle?
isn't it a simpler and better choice to send yabushige to assassinate them while on the road outside of osaka?
everyone's gonna point at ishido now since this all happens while mariko and co are still in the castle

this move of sending ninjas really dont make any sense

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
can someone explain the last few moments of ep 9 for me?
why would ishido sent assassins to grab mariko while she's still in the castle?
isn't it a simpler and better choice to send yabushige to assassinate them while on the road outside of osaka?
everyone's gonna point at ishido now since this all happens while mariko and co are still in the castle

this move of sending ninjas really dont make any sense

Doing it on the road would not work.

Mariko being sent to get Toranaga's ladies is pretty much a cover story. She is being sent to get ALL the hostages out because their presence is what prevents Toranaga from making alliances against Ishido. If she is seen to leave officially, then everyone will want to leave AND feel that they obviously should be allowed to when a putative opponent of Ishido gets the permission.

Abducting Mariko before she leaves on the other hand makes Ishido able to take advantage of the uncertainty. Shinobi breached Ishido's castle - who sent them? Who was their target? Were they sent by Toranaga? Was it an attempt on the heirs life? Did Mariko let them in? Were some of Ishido's guards killed in the attack (diverts the blame)?

Doing the abduction in the castle was incredibly risky but also the only place to do it. He had to make the other hostages afraid of leaving. They will of course still be afraid of leaving but now none of them can keep up the pretence of them enjoying the hospitality of the heir/being protected by Ishido.

Let's not forget, Ishido and Toranaga are NOT officially at war. But now Ishido has (inadvertently, but that does not matter) killed a guest in his own home. Someone who was under his protection, as are all the other hostages.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Doing it on the road would not work.

Mariko being sent to get Toranaga's ladies is pretty much a cover story. She is being sent to get ALL the hostages out because their presence is what prevents Toranaga from making alliances against Ishido. If she is seen to leave officially, then everyone will want to leave AND feel that they obviously should be allowed to when a putative opponent of Ishido gets the permission.

Abducting Mariko before she leaves on the other hand makes Ishido able to take advantage of the uncertainty. Shinobi breached Ishido's castle - who sent them? Who was their target? Were they sent by Toranaga? Was it an attempt on the heirs life? Did Mariko let them in? Were some of Ishido's guards killed in the attack (diverts the blame)?

Doing the abduction in the castle was incredibly risky but also the only place to do it. He had to make the other hostages afraid of leaving. They will of course still be afraid of leaving but now none of them can keep up the pretence of them enjoying the hospitality of the heir/being protected by Ishido.

Let's not forget, Ishido and Toranaga are NOT officially at war. But now Ishido has (inadvertently, but that does not matter) killed a guest in his own home. Someone who was under his protection, as are all the other hostages.
I also figured he can also make the excuse of locking down the place until they find out where a precious went or who kidnapped her

the guests will still know its bullshit but they can't prove or do anything about it

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is this show actually getting a large viewership? It would be criminal if this fell through the cracks. Easily some of the best TV in years.