• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
My MVP, Yabu, looking at Toranaga in his moment of death was a great way to go out. Leave me out for the dogs to eat! I chose wisely, allowing myself to be captivated by this character. There was never a dull moment.

Edited to include a beautiful poem by Yabu.

My dead body

Don't burn it, don't bury it, just leave it in the field

And with it fill the belly of some hungry dog.

Last edited:

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Blackthorne

One day more, another day without my fucking ship.
Mariko's dead and now I hate this trip.

These men who commit suicide while Toranaga gets to hide.

One day more.

Yabushige

I did not betray my lord today. I'll have to betray him tomorrow.
(One day more)
Tomorrow he'll be worlds away. He doesn't care about my sorrow.

Toranaga

One more day before my plan

(What the fuck is his plan?)

will unfold and I'll be Shogun.

(No one knows about his plan).

When my ranks begin to form.

(All the men you had are dead)

And you all will bow to me!

That's brilliant. I love it :-D

Nov 2, 2017
HNL
GOAT Show 🥹

I guess there are more Clavell books? I'd just as soon they let this be a one-and-done and let it go out as one of the great miniseries.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
GOAT Show 🥹

I guess there are more Clavell books? I'd just as soon they let this be a one-and-done and let it go out as one of the great miniseries.

Don't worry. This is it. The other books take place hundreds of hears later and really have no connection to this one. There is no Shogun 2.

If they do more adaptations, it will be its own thing.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This wasn't the finale I expected when I started the show, but it was appropriate given its focus on the characters above all else. I'm so sad that it's finally over.

10/10, give it all the awards

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
The initial maritime scenario says it all. A tragic confluence of culture. The more we know about each other the more some reach for each others shores, while others maintain their harbors. Seeing how each character reached out for some sort of redemption, glory, or victory after this run contained so much. But I think it's the pragmatism of those that believe their maintaining the history is what haunts me the most.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely thought this would be more action packed, but still dug the ending. Man you really felt the ripples of what Mariko did. Excellent writing and acting all around. 10/10 show for sure

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Great finale. I'm sure some people will be disappointed that the battle was only shown in a brief flash forward, but seeing Ishido's grin wiped off his face is all we really needed and that's all we got.

The rest of it was such a satisfying conclusion to everything that came before. I didn't catch on to what Old Man Blackthorne's scenes were until he dropped the rosary in the water.

Oct 25, 2017
Blah, good ending but I wish we'd gotten Ishido buried to his head in the ground from the book ending. Literally the most remembered scene along with the final line that supplements it. The perfect version of this story is somewhere in the middle between Clavell's bullshit and the show's writing.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Blah, good ending but I wish we'd gotten Ishido buried to his head in the ground from the book ending. Literally the most remembered scene along with the final line that supplements it. The perfect version of this story is somewhere in the middle between Clavell's bullshit and the show's writing.
What was the line?

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I avoided the show until this week, when I binged the first 9 episodes.

It's been amazing. The acting and production value has been top notch.

It's been sort of a roller-coaster ride for how I feel about each character. Ultimately, I despise and respect Toranaga. I was hoping that Yabushige would survive somehow before the finale, but I really grew to respect him in the finale.

The 'dream' for Anjin feels weird in retrospect because it doesn't reveal much in his desires, but it was okay. It feels like he has mostly accepted his fate by the end, so when was he exactly 'dreaming' ?

Just great work all around and an excellent series.

harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
Because I've rewatched This Is Spinal Tap, I'd rate this show an 11/10.

Martin's love for Mariko was more compelling to me than John's. Hell of a promise.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mariko really was the perfect choice for a sacrifice. Anyone important dying under Ishido's watch would've been what Toranaga wanted, but I'm not sure you get Ochiba agreeing to an alliance (or at least not that quickly) if it wasn't her old friend that died

I'm not a comic book villain….Crimson Sky was triggered 20 minutes ago.

Ha, I love how last week's episode title pretty much spells it out that that was Crimson Sky, it was never about some crafty Trojan Horse scheme or killing people

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
"Yabushige-dono! There are no catfish in the pond..."

that's when yabu knew, the game was rigged from the start lol

2340-Shiny-Whiscash.webp

The catfish in question

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Very fitting finale, considering the previous 9 episodes that came before it. Thought this episode was one of Cosmo Jarvis' best and makes sense considering how far the character came. Some more thoughts

Even in absence, Mariko's presence loomed large this episode, for pretty much every character.

Favorite scenes were the Yabushige/Toranaga convo and the Blackthorne/Fuji boat convo. Funny how Toranaga said he was keeping Blackthorne alive because he was funny, with how stoic Toranaga appears.

Blackthorne trying to step up for the village, reminded me of the guy who did the same for the pheasant incident.

Oct 25, 2017
ZQprgH9.png

Specifically the last sentence. Ishido and Toranaga's rivalry, like everything else, was condensed a lot for the show, so the mundanity of "lingered three days and died very old" was the absolutely perfect conclusion to their arc and a great fuck you to Ishido, a despicable character whose fate you'd have been expecting for more than a 1000 pages. 🤣

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I think that was a great way to end the show on a denouement.

I'm still not sure if the whole Blackthorne thing was real or not, but it still feels weird to write this love story and also make him have a family back home. Even if the opening is a dream or a hope, it still muddies things for no reason.

But also I guess this is a question of what the hell was the plan with the shinobi last week? It makes even less sense that they'd try to blow open the door now unless dude just miscalculated how everything would fall apart so quickly.

Last edited:

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I think that was a great way to end the show on a denouement.

I'm still not sure if the hole Blackthorne thing was real or not, but it still feels weird to write this love story and also make him have a family back home. Even if the opening is a dream or a hope, it still muddies things for no reason.

But also I guess this is a question of what the hell was the plan with the shinobi last week? It makes even less sense that they'd try to blow open the door now unless dude just miscalculated how everything would fall apart so quickly.

I don't think it was subtitled but the Shinobi actually warn them to get away from the door so the blast won't kill them.

No one had told them that their target had a deathwish.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was subtitled but the Shinobi actually warn them to get away from the door so the blast won't kill them.

No one had told them that their target had a deathwish.
Which seems odd because she was literally about to kill herself earlier in the day. Maybe it is to show how much she was underestimated, because if Ishido had just let everyone go, Ochiba probably wouldn't have had the motivation to turn on him.

Oct 25, 2017
they ended this with more integrity than i was expecting. it was so good that it makes me want to go back and rewatch the whole show, because i wasn't trusting that they'd pay off the money they were depositing in the moment.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
man what a finale, I love that they spent this much time in the aftermath. I feel like 98% of other shows would have spent all of 2 minutes of Blackthorne looking sad sailing back to Izu into a big hurrah of the battle of Sekigahara and a cheesy moment of them remembering Mariko once it was all said and done. Instead they choose to live it out in this in-between setup space.

The breakdown that both Yabushige and Blackthorne go through is a such a damn neat way to start the tying up of their character arcs. Yabushige looks like he goes nearly geriatric in his search for a way out and the flash forwards/fever dreams that Blackthorne has really does build on his decisions through the rest of the episode, even if it doesn't make a ton of sense until some of those final moments.

Just kinda wish we got more of Toranaga actually being a person in this final ep, some sort crack in the armour in having lost the amount of people he had.

Got some long flights over the next weeks, going to jump into the novel for sure.

OP
OP
DinkyDev

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
A perfect finale. Loved every second of it.

The scenes with Fuji were beautiful, so happy she found new purpose and life.

One of the all time great series. 10/10.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
An impeccable, perfect, towering, staggering achievement. If this is not recognized come awards season there is no point to achievement. A show I will use to judge the taste of people forevermore.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, not the bombastic finale many would have wished, but it's restraint fits perfectly.

Fantastic show.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
An impeccable, perfect, towering, staggering achievement. If this is not recognized come awards season there is no point to achievement. A show I will use to judge the taste of people forevermore.
Yeah, I said earlier in this thread that if the quality holds up it will be alongside Band of Brothers at one of the greatest miniseries of all time and I think they have succeeded.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Good ending, but I would have enjoyed some battle action. Sue me, I'm just a simple man. Fits perfectly with the rest of the show though, and it's rare to see such restraint in a production of this scale. People will be talking this up for years to come.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Not the finale I expected, but I've got no complaints.

Spectacular series, one of the greats. Start to finish, it's riveting, beautiful, and an absolute joy to watch.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
I love how when they decide Yabushige has to die, everybody (including Yabu himself) are like «yup, makes sense.»

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed this show, but having now finished it I'm left with this unpleasant feeling in my gut. It's not cathartic sadness which scenes like him fixing Ujiros stone and Fuji on the boat provided in spades.

I'm trying to work out what this feeling is.

I think halfway through the season, with Mariko and Anjin becoming estranged and then Toranaga taking hit after hit, bummer after bummer with the son, the old vassal, and then Mariko, even though it was mostly part of his plan, still just didn't feel good. I needed a "win" and this show just wasn't interested in providing that. Even when technically by the end Toranagas plan succeeded it didn't really feel like a victory I could share in, whereas the first half of the show had me totally aligned with him. Perhaps that's the point?

I'm not stranger to miserable shows/movies/games so I really don't know why this one has bummed me out so much.