• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
With some legit, high-quality Kobe beef, shit is unmatched

o.jpg

shabu-2140701_960_720.jpg

Sakurayaka-singapore2.jpg

2017_11_13_35762_1510548782._large.jpg

o.jpg

Besides taste, an interactive dining experience is more exciting than just ordering a plate and eating like a boring person

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Been eating lots of hotpot lately, going back and forth between Taiwanese style and Japanese style, with the occasional nabe mixed in there.

Need to start slicing my own beef. Been doing that with pork belly, and is soooo much cheaper.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely good, but I personally prefer top-tier yakiniku more than top-tier shabu shabu.
Have you had rei-shabu? It might be worth a try if you like shabu shabu.

Not sold. I'd rather die of starvation than eat any sort of raw meat.
You cook it in the oil pot in the center of the table.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
not a fan. kbbq for me. lots of the kbbq places i frequent also alternate with shabu shabu.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
tbh i dont really like interacting with food when i go to a restaurant, but its probably because i have no friends or family i go with

i just want the damn food to be done right and given to me, so i am not big on yakiniku or the idea of hotpot

that being said im sure it is real good and if i was having a get together i think it would be nice to do. otherwise i would just be like eff that just gimme a stew and i will eat it

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I go out because I don't want to cook.

Hibachi can be fun, but that's the closest I want to get to the meal preparation.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The real answer is that japanese people have the best food in the world.

iu

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I love shabu shabu. But there aren't any restaurants that serve it nearby.

How easy is it to prepare at home?

Not sold. I'd rather die of starvation than eat any sort of raw meat.

The meat is cooked to your liking. You are the one doing the cooking. The meat in those pictures is before it is cooked.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I love it too. Went out to eat shabu shabu a couple times in Japan. It was always a great experience. We do hot pots a lot at my house and we do something similar to shabu shabu.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Shabu shabu is okay but it's the ponzu and sesame sauce that put it over for me. I tend to flip flop on what's better between sukiyaki and shabu.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I love shabu shabu. But there aren't any restaurants that serve it nearby.

How easy is it to prepare at home?
Very very easy. You can get the thin sliced meat from Asian grocery stores, and you can even get most of the vegetables from normal grocery stores. The Asian stores will also have the gas cookers, but you can find those at sports/camping stores.

Shabu shabu is okay but it's the ponzu and sesame sauce that put it over for me. I tend to flip flop on what's better between sukiyaki and shabu.

Sukiyaki eventually gets too sweet for me.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can say without exaggeration that Tokyo is the greatest food city on earth. Basically everything you eat will be amazing.

Supha_Volt

Nov 3, 2017
It's pretty good but I found it to be not worth the price tbh or at least not at the one I went to.

Irate

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for someone going for the first time? My wife and I have been talking about going to a local place here but I'm worried I'll do something stupid.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for someone going for the first time? My wife and I have been talking about going to a local place here but I'm worried I'll do something stupid.

It's pretty easy to do as you can see the meat and it's typically pretty thinly sliced, so if it looks cooked on the outside it will be cooked well. The waiters will also explain and recommend how long to cook various items if needed.

Enjoy it! It'll be good.

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been to Kobe, Japan, and I can almost guarantee you've never had Kobe beef if you think you've had Kobe while at shabu shabu. It's totally different.

Just try it and have a great time!

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Which place? Is it a chain?

Biggest thing is to make sure everything is cooked fully. Some things cook really quickly, others will take a long time. And don't be an ass and put a bunch of raw meat on top of cooked vegetables just as someone is about to take them.

If it's Chinese style, they'll probably give you a little scooper. If it's Japanese style, you better up your chopsticks game.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i had takoyaki at the inari shrine in kyoto and the inside was too gooey for me to enjoy. not sure if thats normal or bad or regional, but i just cant get behind it

i thought it would be light and fluffy all the way through

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
Shabu Shabu is nice indeed. However I'm still prefer the Cantonese hotpots I had in HK which are more seafood based.

Not a fan of Sukiyaki at all. Way too sweet for my liking.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a Denys at like every corner. You still stand by that statement?
Denny's in Japan is actually decent though. It's not great, but it's much better than chain restaurants in the US.
https://www.dennys.jp/

Family restaurants in Japan are all fairly similar in price/quality, so Jonathan's, Denny's, Sizeria, Cafe Gusto, Royal Host are all fairly similar in quality/cost and each are better than the Chili's, TGIF, Applebees, etc.. in the US.

Denny's in Japan is unsurprisingly superior to the wretched US version but if you go to Denny's anywhere that's on you.
I knew Americans that would go to McDonalds Japan (even though there were several much better fast food chains) a few times per week. I went to Denny's a few times while in Japan as a friend liked it a lot, but there are always about a million better options near any train station.