• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

shadow-of-the-colossus-logo.png

dJb4iQL.png

E3 2017 Trailer

TGS 2017 Trailer

What We Know
  • The game content will remain the same, but all assets are being remade.
  • A "modernized" control scheme is being implemented, with the option for the original controls being left intact.
  • Fumito Ueda is only minimally involved, though he has proposed a list of changes he'd like to see in the remake. Whether all the changes are possible or being considered is unknown.
  • The cut bosses from the original game are not being added.
Sources: [1], [2]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Please keep in mind that this is a work in progress and subject to change. Altering a classic will always engender criticism, and it is to be expected, but let's remain level-headed in our discussions, yeah?

Here are some comparison shots between the footage from the E3 trailer and what we got during TGS:

E3
TbCUjwG.png

TGS
untitled-1bhs32.png

E3
whxUmUC.png

TGS
untitled-2ihsoi.png

The following are comparison images between the PS3 remaster and the remake:

PS3 Remaster

untitled-112se8.png

PS4 Remake
untitled-23is5s.png

PS3 Remaster
untitled-5n9sbn.png

PS4 Remake
untitled-4eys1h.png

Pent

Oct 27, 2017
WOW, that looks incredible. I'm really glad they're keeping this amazing game alive. I would totally play it again if I had a PS4.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Very excited for this, but a little bummed that they couldn't add the extra colossus that were cut from the original game.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So hype for this. Suddenly I'm glad I bought the PS3 version and never played it. I've had this pre-ordered on Amazon since the E3 reveal, don't care there's no release date yet, lol.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure about those lighting/color-grading changes. The bird boss needs that haze too.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guaranteed buy from me. Team ICOs best game and one I can't wait to replay.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know based on the Sony topics, some were predicting a February 2018 release but im going with June 2018 after E3 with the date being announced at PSX. Bluepoint Games is excellent when it comes to remastered ports and im sure this will be no exception.

Skitso

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Altering color grading when remastering movies or games is dangerous. You'll end up changing the mood and tone of a scene and I'm not sure I like it here...

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
This remake should be great. The original game is a masterpiece and can't wait to see how they update it

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Very excited for this, but a little bummed that they couldn't add the extra colossus that were cut from the original game.
Personally I'm happy they're not trying.

The colossi count was cut for a reason, so I don't know if adding more will really add anything to the experience other than more busy work. Content for the sake of content isn't what makes Team Ico's games what they are. Also keep in mind the cut colossi were never completed, so it's not like Bluepoint could just copy and paste them into the world, they'd have to complete the designs themselves, which means are you sure you want new colossi not made by the original team? I mean it could work, but it could also be an obvious inconsistency.

Anyway, with the game being marketed as a remaster rather than a remake, I think not messing with the underlying game design is the right choice. Save the content changes for a proper ground-up remake/re-imagining, not this remaster.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, with the game being marketed as a remaster rather than a remake, I think not messing with the underlying game design is the right choice. Save the content changes for a proper ground-up remake/re-imagining, not this remaster.

Yup. It's basically just an asset swap so calling it a remaster is more accurate. Maybe for the PS5 when we get the next version it will have new content too :D

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely stocked to see this coming, though slightly unexpected with the "recent" release of the HD collection. Curious the reasoning behind re-releasing it on the PS4, unless perhaps this era of gaming will continue far into the future with everything being backwards compatible. Great to see it's legacy being retained though, and whether a third edition of the game brings anything more to the table in terms of fresh and new aside from prettier graphics and refined gameplay.

toph

Oct 28, 2017
Very excited.

It's the closest I'll get to playing it again for the first time.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
It's sad that we won't get new content, but that doesn't take anything away from my hype on this game. I envy the people who will experience this for the first time.

OP
OP
Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Personally I'm happy they're not trying.

The colossi count was cut for a reason, so I don't know if adding more will really add anything to the experience other than more busy work. Content for the sake of content isn't what makes Team Ico's games what they are. Also keep in mind the cut colossi were never completed, so it's not like Bluepoint could just copy and paste them into the world, they'd have to complete the designs themselves, which means are you sure you want new colossi not made by the original team? I mean it could work, but it could also be an obvious inconsistency.

It's specifically being marketed as a remake. Perhaps you're thinking of the N. Sane Trilogy?
Famitsu: The next question is about Shadow of the Colossus. Is this a remaster version, or is it a remake version?

Shuhei Yoshida: "It is a remake. The game content is the same as the original version, but all the assets are being remade. I figured we could use such tech to make if we're going to make Shadow of the Colossus in the PS4 era. Bluepoint is the development company behind the PS3 remaster versions of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. So we know them rather well."

And yeah, this is what Ueda had to say about the cut colossi:
"In this game there are 16 enemies and there's a story about 16 enemies," he told me, "so to change this history... I don't think about changing this history. It's finished with 16 enemies. It's OK."

warkki

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty fantastic. For some reason I never touched any of the Team Ico games, even the Remastered Collection for PS3 which I own since release. It's time to change that since I always loved the art style and overall tone of those games.

frankabus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope we're being misled and there's some sort of post-game new content for us.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The magic of the original is something else. I can't even figure out how to put it into words. There's a feeling of ancient grandeur and mystery surrounding The Forbidden Lands, like you've wandered into a time lost land that functions in ways completely beyond your understanding. The giants roaming the land, the empty plains, the sheer vastness of everything, all of it culminating in this eerie and ominous and beautiful sense of loneliness that truly makes it feel like you've stepped into a place where people aren't normally meant to be.

I can't wait to experience ti again.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what anyone says, I prefer the fuzzy resolution and choppy frame rate of the original. This is a game that should feel like blowing the dust off an ancient artifact, I don't need to see it clearly.

Glad the remake is being made for those who want to play it in HD or try for the first time though.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hype as hell, but I wish we'd get Ico, as well.

This is exactly where I'm at. To be able to get Ueda's loosely connected trilogy as a single entity on the PS4 would be phenomenal. And it strikes me that, while it would certainly be an undertaking to a degree, remaking Ico to match these visuals wouldn't be unreasonable.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy they are slowly getting closer to the original feel of the game with that new trailer; I'm hoping the dream world bloom look is kept. (The ending of the TGS trailer showing the alter shows promise for the bloom effect to be added). I do love the new color grading in a lot of the scenes we've seen.
I still wish they would add the other colossus in the game, Trico in the distance flying for an Easter Egg, just something. I just need more things to explore, cave carvings, rooms filled with nothing but look so strange and interesting that it could mean something. Just something to hold me off for years until another Team Ico game comes out, I miss mysteries in games. That art form died a long time ago, now it's only left with indies.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks noticeably better than when it was shown during E3. I haven't played this since it first came out, hopefully it hasn't dated too much.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly where I'm at. To be able to get Ueda's loosely connected trilogy as a single entity on the PS4 would be phenomenal. And it strikes me that, while it would certainly be an undertaking to a degree, remaking Ico to match these visuals wouldn't be unreasonable.

Yeah, I thought we'd have it all when The Last Guardian was coming out on the PS3 (lol), but I feel like they must be considering Ico. Maybe if the sales are good on SotC, they'll announce something.
Either way, SotC is going to be a day one purchase for me.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I just need something to hold me off for years until another Team Ico game comes out, I miss mysteries in games.

As an honest question, is there any reason to think another game in this vein will happen? I've resigned myself to the idea that Ueda and Team Ico mostly died with the release of The Last Guardian, probably more as a coping mechanism than anything else.

camac002

Oct 27, 2017
As far as remakes go, this one looks like it would be a lot of work. Bluepoint continues to impress. I wonder if they've ever had ambitions to create their own game with a larger budget at some point or are they happy to continue doing what they are doing.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As an honest question, is there any reason to think another game in this vein will happen? I've resigned myself to the idea that Ueda and Team Ico mostly died with the release of The Last Guardian, probably more as a coping mechanism than anything else.
They probably won't separate the team unless a company restructures begin. But without Ueda at the helms, I don't know if we will ever have another true Team Ico game. I can name a few artists who can keep the style, but in terms of story and being able to keep things to an interpretation... I just don't know. Will anyone at Ico pitch a new game is my question. Or will Ueda come back to make that first person shooter he's been wanting to do?

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
They probably won't separate the team unless a company restructures begin. But without Ueda at the helms, I don't know if we will ever have another true Team Ico game. I can name a few artists who can keep the style, but in terms of story and being able to keep things to an interpretation... I just don't know. Will anyone at Ico pitch a new game is my question. Or will Ueda come back to make that first person shooter he's been wanting to do?

Sort of comes down to where you fall on auteur theory, I suppose. Can a Ueda game exist without Ueda at the helm?

As far as remakes go, this one looks like it would be a lot of work. Bluepoint continues to impress. I wonder if they've ever had ambitions to create their own game with a larger budget at some point or are they happy to continue doing what they are doing.

I'd honestly love it if Nintendo and Sony, with Grezzo and Bluepoint respectively, bought out their usual remastering/remaking teams to keep a steady flow of future-proofing for older classics. This would, in my mind, allow for an in-house imprint devoted to a single cause while also allowing talented members of both teams to wind their way into larger production roles.