• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway

View: https://youtu.be/8TnTZl8bZ44
Finally a release date for this game.
It continues to look great! These devs are doing such an excellent job with all these remakes/sequels. You can really tell they are actual veterans of the era. The games just feel like what those games would've evolved to if tech had stayed 2d.
It also seems quite different from the originals more grounded and realistic style. But that is sorta the point of a remake too.
Very excited to finally try this out.
Comes out on all platforms.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Day one. Still have to decide if I'll buy it on Steam (Deck) or Switch.

I would've preferred if they stuck to a darker art-style that more closely matched the original's artwork (this is a pretty big departure, to be honest) but the music's definitely there and so is the gameplay. And it's not like it looks ugly, by any means...

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
All of these Tengo Project games so far have been incredible, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

I've not played the original games that any of these have been based on, but I've been impressed with all of these Tengo Project reimaginings.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Looks really nice, reminds me of the Ninja Saviors remake, which I really enjoyed:

5.gif

[logically, as it is part of the same project lol]

Last edited:

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Game'd be good if they can tighten up the controls. In the build I played (and beat the first stage of), weapon switching is horrendously slow and awkward to pull off on the fly.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I got the original game on the NES as a gift when I was a kid. It was a pretty good game that I never really saw anyone talk about over the years, and here we are getting a remake of it. Very cool.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, cool! I remember playing the original on the NES, plus I managed to find it on the 3DS eShop without even knowing it was on there. Can't wait for this one.

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
Have had it on my watchlist for a while.

I kinda wish the characters looked the generic ninja you see in the thumbnail; not feeling the Reborn designs.

llama-5-0

Mar 31, 2020
Idk why, but these games always stand above the rest for me in terms of indie style 2d throwbacks. Everything these guys have put out has been amazing in terms of graphics, sound and gameplay.

Volken

Sep 18, 2022
Can't wait for this, love this team's output.

Looks really nice, reminds me of the Ninja Saviors remake, which I really enjoyed:

5.gif

[logically, as it is part of the same project lol]

The remake is one of the best games in the genre.

Beautiful sprite work and feels wonderful to play.

OP
OP
Santar

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Idk why, but these games always stand above the rest for me in terms of indie style 2d throwbacks. Everything these guys have put out has been amazing in terms of graphics, sound and gameplay.
I think it's because the devs are actually veterans from back in the day. They are not trying to copy something they loved in their youth like so many modern pixel based games. They were actually there and inherently know what made those games good from the inside.

llama-5-0

Mar 31, 2020
I think it's because the devs are actually veterans from back in the day. They are not trying to copy something they loved in their youth like so many modern pixel based games. They were actually there and inherently know what made those games good from the inside.
Okay, this is pretty much exactly what it is. You can just sense it when playing these games.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I got the original game on the NES as a gift when I was a kid. It was a pretty good game that I never really saw anyone talk about over the years, and here we are getting a remake of it. Very cool.

Oh, cool! I remember playing the original on the NES, plus I managed to find it on the 3DS eShop without even knowing it was on there. Can't wait for this one.

Don't think I have ever played the original. To be honest, I thought this was a 2D follow up to Ninja: Shadow of Darkness on the PS1.
It's on Nintendo Switch Online if you feel like playing it

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Cool! I was just watching Russ from Retro Game Corps talk about this one a little bit while game shopping in Japan. I've only messed with it a little on NSO but not beyond just a few minutes. Might have to invest more into it. :)

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Love that all of Tengo Project's games are a love letter to the bygone 16-bit era.

They absolutely deserve more love (and money).

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It looks very different from the original. More beatm up than ninja gaiden like. Visuals are great but looks much slower. Why the emphasis on coop?

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Finally, can't wait!

Also where is the steam/PC logo at the end?

Also i hope that after this, they'll try to do a completely new game! not a remake or reboot, just something completely new!

A full on sequel to one of these games would be fine too, as long as everything in it is new