Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was only when you used LARA'S VISION or whatever the name that was. But i only truly played the 2013 reboot so maybe they really made it brainless in RotR, dang.
They were present in the reboot as well, but I do think Rise when out of its way to make it more obvious.

Btw, when this is what I meant by things being highlighted. It's not that they glow (like the survival instinct vision), but they certainly stand out like a sore thumb:

QOYGtMD.jpg

The bright white attachable rope, for example. Rise even made it look more obvious by having the wood pole also wrapped in rope.

hI8SEXR.jpg

White paint on walls suggesting the path to the left. Also notice the completely white wood on the tower in the background.

Hopefully these things will be gone with exploration difficulty set to hard.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Oh this is perfect.

I'm turning combat to easy and everything else to normal or hard, depending what the options are exactly.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
This sounds a hell of a lot better than I think it actually will be. No way the put development time into significant changes to the puzzles for a different difficulty mode. Though, if it does turn out to be as good as it sounds, I'm back in.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get combat , I get puzzles, but I never understood the contextual climbing mechanics so prevalent in tps adventure games ... they're horrible, I'd rather just pick a direction and have the game autoclimb rather than look in the 'correct' direction and press a button ad nauseam. maybe the mechanics in this game are better , I honestly forget how you climbed in the last two.
Tomb Raider was once a proper platforming game and now this is what we've come to. If that's the kind of game you want to play, there's Horizon or Assassin's Creed or God of War. The climbing in Crystal-era Tomb Raider games is already far too automated as it is, we don't need it to be dumbed down even further.

This sounds a hell of a lot better than I think it actually will be. No way the put development time into significant changes to the puzzles for a different difficulty mode. Though, if it does turn out to be as good as it sounds, I'm back in.
The puzzle difficulty basically determines how many hints Lara gives you by talking to herself.

Armored Ape

Oct 25, 2017
Cambridge Ma
Tomb Raider was once a proper platforming game and now this is what we've come to. If that's the kind of game you want to play, there's Horizon or Assassin's Creed or God of War. The climbing in Crystal-era Tomb Raider games is already far too automated as it is, we don't need it to be dumbed down even further.

The climbing in horizon and god of war is the exact type of climbing I don't want... i'd rather they be fully automated than the current context sensitive 'aim to climb' mess ... real platforming would be fun, but like you said, that's long gone from tps adventure games

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The climbing in horizon and god of war is the exact type of climbing I don't want... i'd rather they be fully automated than the current context sensitive 'aim to climb' mess ... real platforming would be fun, but like you said, that's long gone from tps adventure games
Ah, okay. To me, the platforming in Horizon basically is fully automated :p.

Nice, this could finally please everybody.

Give me REAL puzzles and explorations.
They will never be able to please everybody and the more they try to do that, the more confused and watered down the games will end up being. They should pick a direction and stick with it rather than trying to do this whole akward balancing act that they've gotten themselves into by straying so far from the classic formula. Even if they ended up going all in on the cinematic shooter route, that'd be better than what they're doing now. Sure, they'd give up all pretense of even trying to create proper Tomb Raider games but at least they might end up with good non-Tomb Raider games at the end of it which is more than can be said of their previous attempts (IMO).

Last edited:

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
This is such an awesome approach. It's one of the many reasons Silent Hill 2 is one of the greatest games ever.

Hard puzzle/exploration options with normal combat practically makes this a must have for me. Excited for this now.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
One of my biggest beefs with the previous one was that if you looked at a puzzle object with your detective vision on, Lara would immediately start giving you the solution.
I'm hoping that there's enough granularity in their options.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
It looks neat, but why are they still so bad at particle effects?

s7fnjhy.gif

No blood, not even sparks or smoke. Everything's just pretend. I don't think that's even appropriate in a game that's supposed to be super dark and violent. I don't know if it was sanitized on purpose or if it's just poor art direction.

What the hell? I have to say I do enjoy how the guy flies in death, but it feels like all the effects failed to load. And the game is only a couple months away...

Anyway, cool news about the separate options. Look foward to see how it will work.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
As a person who passionately hates puzzles in action-adventure games, I am very happy with this option. Hopefully other games will follow the lead.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So if I turn up puzzle and exploration to maximum and combat down to minimum, will I actually end up with a difficult puzzle/exploration game with some mild combat? That sound great. Since I haven't played the first two games due to a strong dislike for Uncharted / Hollywood games, I will not be there day one for this Tomb Raider, but I think chances are that we will see a trilogy release in 1-2 years and then I'll take a look.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Great news as someone who hates puzzles. I actually was going to skip this due to my patience just not being there for puzzles, I just dont have the time any more to spend it on what I hate.

OTOH I can recognize how people like figuring out where to go and how to do it, and this supports everyone.