BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
I've seen this pass on Twitter earlier today and it shows yet again that Valve needs to get it together when it comes to "games" released on Steam.

I put games in quote there because this one doesn't actually come with a game at all when you buy it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/787300/Shadow_Treachery_cannot_be_tolerated/

And every piece of footage and screenshots the Steam page has are off-screen, for some reason.
And like I said earlier, when you buy the game, the game's folder is completely empty. You don't actually get a game by buying this.

Obviously most people won't be stupid enough to buy this but holy crap Valve, do something about this stuff.

Mod edit:
This is just a configuration error: the game data is tied to an unreleased DLC app instead of a standard data depot. The issue wouldn't have come up during the pre-release approval process as developer and beta testing packages have a release state override.

Last edited by a moderator:

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
Jim Sterling called it. It's a real shame that valve is letting so much crap pollute their limited storefront.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
8apDAoR.png

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it's just that the developer screwed up their build submit to the steam servers. From looking at the screenshots of the game it doesn't seem like the developer is the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I see Jim Sterling making a 15 minute long video in a constant roundabout of ways of saying that Steam needs to moderate its own store.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this pass on Twitter earlier today and it shows yet again that Valve needs to get it together when it comes to "games" released on Steam.

I put games in quote there because this one doesn't actually come with a game at all when you buy it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/787300/Shadow_Treachery_cannot_be_tolerated/

And every piece of footage and screenshots the Steam page has are off-screen, for some reason.
And like I said earlier, when you buy the game, the game's folder is completely empty. You don't actually get a game by buying this.

Obviously most people won't be stupid enough to buy this but holy crap Valve, do something about this stuff.

The game was submitted with an .exe, that's literally a requirement to get on the store.
The only thing this shows is you have no idea how Steam actually works and really wanted to get a really quick shitpost about curation.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This happens. Heck, it happened to me with the Mac/Linux versions of my game when I released it. It's very easy to overlook a few things when you're deploying the game to Steam.

Not to mention the fact that you have to go through a review process before releasing the game on Steam, so there's literally no way of releasing a game that doesn't exist.

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
OMG, from the store description haahaha.

"ABOUT THIS GAME
This is an episodic game. In this episode you will be the main character Shadow (Alex Summer) who runs an international criminal empire. You will be attacked by few goons and you have to kill them all before they kill you. This is also a first person shooter game. You can use the mouse pointer to aim and click the mouse button to shoot. The most interesting feature of this game is that if you shoot the goons and they don't die, you have to shoot at the places surrounding the attackers to kill them."

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017

"ABOUT THIS GAME
This is an episodic game. In this episode you will be the main character Shadow (Alex Summer) who runs an international criminal empire. You will be attacked by few goons and you have to kill them all before they kill you. This is also a first person shooter game. You can use the mouse pointer to aim and click the mouse button to shoot. The most interesting feature of this game is that if you shoot the goons and they don't die, you have to shoot at the places surrounding the attackers to kill them."
Sounds like another winner.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Are you actually defending Valve putting this out on their store? Whatever the reason, scam or incompetence, it's unacceptably lax. Nobody would be giving Xbox or PSN any sympathy in a similar situation.
Feel free to whine about the quality of the game or whether it should be on steam.

That isn't this thread, which seems to be a mistake.

OP
OP
BY2K

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Feel free to whine about the quality of the game.

That isn't this thread, which seems to be a mistake.

Well I wanted the thread to be about how the game is missing (though apparently that can be a thing)
About why the marketing material is all off screen
And how much of a mess this game appears to be just by looking at the Steam page
Overall how Valve still doesn't care about the game it allows on Steam

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly can't tell if this game is someone trying to be ironically bad, a Chinese scammer, or a kid whoconvinced his parents to put up the money to get his middleschool project on steam.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Well I wanted the thread to be about how the game is missing (though apparently that can be a thing)
About why the marketing material is all off screen
And how much of a mess this game appears to be just by looking at the Steam page
Overall how Valve still doesn't care about the game it allows on Steam

Yup, because they leave the choice to consumers to buy it or not. When I look at this game, it looks like a terrible game. It also looks like someone's first game too.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy that. There needs to be a basic standard of quality.
And who'd be the gatekeeper for that "standard"? The same ones at Sony, that not only let Life of Tiger to be on their platform, also featured it on their channel?

The existence of shit games on a platform has 0 effect on me or actual developers. Featuring it on a official channel is way more damaging, if you'd ask me.

Oct 25, 2017

"ABOUT THIS GAME

Is that a joke?

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Yes this shit needs to go, but at this point I question who even buys these? I'm generally curious who of all the people who are at the very least knowledgeable enough about gaming to set up a steam account, sees anything resembling this and thinks "yep, this is my next game"

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
This is just a configuration error: the game data is tied to an unreleased DLC app instead of a standard data depot. The issue wouldn't have come up during the pre-release approval process as developer and beta testing packages have a release state override.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Last week Sega made the mistake of giving people full Yakuza 6 games via their demo so yeah, devs and publishers make mistakes. As for whether the game deserves to be on steam by its perceived bad quality based on the screen shots, that's another debate. I don't personally mind too much, I do my research, rarely see them, and no gatekeepers means that the odd jewel gets in that would have been rejected by other store fronts.

Deleted member 11926

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And that's why refunds exist. Magical, isn't it? Other platforms that are more "closed" don't even support digital refunding, so I guess Steam is doing it wrong?

Ironically, Valve/Steam weren't really in a hurry to implement a refund policy until the Origin store showed how it can be done (Unbelievable that I'm actually praising EA here...).

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ironically, Valve/Steam weren't really in a hurry to implement a refund policy until the Origin store showed how it can be done (Unbelievable that I'm actually praising EA here...).
I mean, sure, Valve really dropped the ball on implementing it way too late. I even remember that they did it because of being sued or something? Anyway, it is one of things EA surprisingly did better than its competition. But that was 3 years ago, there's no reason the other digital platforms don't have an actual refund system in place.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Steam is a store.

A store is responsible for the quality of the products it's selling. Simple as that.
I mean, not really, but that's sort of beside the point.

I've yet to conceive of a curation path that doesn't also risk losing good games in the process.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I mean, sure, Valve really dropped the ball on implementing it way too late. I even remember that they did it because of being sued or something? Anyway, it is one of things EA surprisingly did better than its competition. But that was 3 years ago, there's no reason the other digital platforms don't have an actual refund system in place.
It was done to get in line with foreign digital service laws before it became a thing.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

EA was first, but that was almost two years before Valve (August 2013 versus June 2015) and even today the policy covers less than a dozen third-party titles. What actually lit a fire under Valve's arse was the Australian government taking it to court.

Deleted member 11926

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, I also remember Valve getting sued. And I agree that all digital stores should offer a refund policy. I have mixed feelings about Valve being hands off with regards to checking the quality of the titles available on Steam. On one hand, how to "sort out the trash" without getting into arbitrary territory; Everyone who wants to sell should have a chance, right? On the other hand, there's just so much bullshit on Steam that it's not very fun (clumsy, in fact) to browse. I have to admit that I don't know a good answer to that dilemma.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Can't post a steam review for a game unless you play it.

This way the game never gets a negative review score.

Ugh.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Steam in general is not good for PC gaming, I hope some day other companies can break Valve's hegemony. They used to make great games, now they're just crap (imo of course).

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Steam is a store.

A store is responsible for the quality of the products it's selling. Simple as that.

Uhh no? Are you serious? A storefront is in no way responsible for an item's quality.

Feel free to make a separate thread if you want to actually try and argue that stuff like this is the equivalent of e.coli. That would be a fun thread.

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you think Steam doesn't bear RESPONSIBILITY for what it puts in the store, at the very least they should take the effort to keep really shoddy stuff like this to a minimum.

It's already started to solidify in people's minds that Steam is a place where literally anything can get put up, and that's an image that's hard to shake and scares people off eventually.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware "store" meant something else than "store".
Stores are places that sells things. Steam is selling things. Similarly, Amazon is also a store that sells things, including books. They don't give any particular shit about the quality of books they sell on there, neither should they.

OP
OP
BY2K

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada

That makes sense, considering the description says the game is episodic.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
On the other hand, there's just so much bullshit on Steam that it's not very fun (clumsy, in fact) to browse. I have to admit that I don't know a good answer to that dilemma.

I think what they need to do is look at why people put trash on the store in the first place. itch.io is also incredibly hands off with this, but they seem to avoid much of the cynical garbage games. A lot of that is because on Steam these games can potentially get even a tiny audience which nets a bit of money. The other part is Steam has incentives to buy games beyond the quality of the game itself such as achievements and trading cards which link to a unified account leveling system. That's a couple ways even complete garbage manages to eek a profit on Steam. There has to be some way to keep the store open, but make it just not worth while to put complete junk on the store. The solution ought to involve making the platform unprofitable for bad games but I guess that's a difficult task.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I wasn't aware "store" meant something else than "store".
I can go on Bandcamp right now and purchase the worst, most amateur music you've ever heard.

Should Bandcamp be screening every artist's release and ensuring that it meets some invisible standard of quality, or does word-of-mouth take care of that?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Steam is a store.

That's a ridiculous idea. With the same logic half of the stuff sold at gamestop should be sent to a dumpster because it's crappy shovelware. I mean do you believe a grocery store actually taste and run chemical analysis of everything they sell because they are responsible for the quality of everything they sell? Do a book store stop carrying terrible harlequins novels and thrashy teens books because they are bad litterature?

Steam has problems but your point has nothing to do with it.