• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
main_splash_sh2qokqt.jpg

Developer & Publisher: Vblank Entertainment
Release: May 7, 2019 (EU PSN finally made it available on May 13!) | 3DS: September 19 (NA) & September 26 (PAL)
Platform: Nintendo Switch | Nintendo 3DS | PlayStation 4 | PlayStation Vita | Win PC (EGS) | Wii U (NA) | Wii (PAL)
Price (Switch/PS4/PC): US$19.99 | CA$24.99 | €19.99 | £17.99 | AU$30.00 | NZ$33.00
Price (3DS): US$14.99 | CA$19.99 | €14.99 | £12.99 | AU$??.00 | NZ$??.00
Official Site: https://www.vblank.com/ShakedownHawaii/
Dev's YouTube with lots of OST samples and more gameplay trailers: Here
Genre: Top-Down Shady Business Simulator featuring Pixel Art Violence from Open World Video Games
How many bits?: 16bits, you know what it is.
PS4/PSV Crossbuy: Yes
PlayStation TV Support: Yes
Digital or Retail?: Primarily Digital-only but a limited physical release is available for some platforms
Physical Release: Yes
Store Pages: Switch (EU | US | AU | NZ) | 3DS (EU | US) | PS4/Vita (EU | US) | PC (EGS)
Nintendo Switch eShop Download Size: 145.75 MB
Nintendo Switch Home Menu Icon:
2229.png

sh_abcxj1t.jpg

Shakedown Hawaii combines top-down open-world action (including a newly destructible world) with management elements of simulating a sketchy business in the titular tropical paradise.

Everything but buildings can be destroyed (stuff respawns along with you if you bite it)​
Over 200 buildings can be entered​
Outfits are fully customizable​
Custom ability upgrades are a thing​
Lots of vehicles​

There is a Story Mode, a Free-Roam Mode, and an Arcade Mode.

The story follows three different characters.

Acquired businesses can be used to generate cash, access more weapons, or gain landlord perks such a free haircuts. Feeling extra greedy? Upgrade your businesses by adding multipliers such as "convenience" fees, unnecessary best before dates, store credit cards, or lobbyists!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
############################################
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First update:
  • More Shakedown Scenarios
  • Car Repossession
  • Weapon Pawning
  • Shop Icons added to the map
  • Expands some building interiors
  • Character upgrades can now be unequipped
  • Faster property and multipliers purchasing
  • Salary can now be increased quicker
  • Police chases improved
  • Horns/sirens added to vehicles
  • Misc. bug fixes

Details:
SHAKEDOWNS
The game is designed to be a smooth ride. By the time you complete the main story missions, you'll have the resources to easily acquire the entire island. However, if you attempt to take over the island too early, it will be more of an uphill battle.

You can earn extra cash and territory by completing shakedowns, but the big payouts occur on main story missions. This wasn't conveyed clearly enough initially, and some players focused entirely on the shakedowns, ignoring the main missions, and thus, struggled to earn the capital they needed for island domination. This update adds more dialogue and guidance to better steer players towards the end goal.

More variety has also been added to the shakedowns with additional protection scenarios.

MULTIPLIERS & PROPERTY ACQUISITION
By popular request! It appears that many of you want to max out the entire island, so your wish is my command.

Note: The game is designed such that multipliers don't need to be added to every business. With a few strategic placements, you can achieve 100% without any tedium. However, those of you who want to load everything up can now do so in a streamlined way.

Purchase confirmations can now be turned off, enabling one-click property and multiplier purchasing. A new "Buy All Multipliers" button has been added, and your salary can also be increased much quicker.

CAR REPOSSESSION
Garages have been added to Subprime Auto locations. Subprime-leased vehicles can now be jacked from the roads and returned to Subprime Auto locations under your ownership. Each repossessed vehicle delivered will increase your daily revenue.

SELLING WEAPONS
Weapons can now be sold to pawn shops to earn extra cash and free up your inventory.

EQUIP/UNEQUIP CHARACTER UPGRADES
Character upgrades (double jump, speed boost, etc.) can now be unequipped at any time by visiting the veterinary clinic.

SHOP LOCATION ICONS
By popular demand, shop location icons have been added to the map! They can be turned on/off via the Map Icons menu, and For Sale and Shakedown locations can also now be turned off to declutter things.

POLICE CHASES
It's now easier to keep your threat level and duke it out to the maximum heat. It's also now easier to obtain the "Get Inconspicuous" trophy.

HORNS & SIRENS
Car horns and sirens have been added to vehicles. Select them via the weapon menu (they're the first slot) and activate them with the shoot button.

BUG FIXES
If you've reported a bug, it's probably fixed :) All of your emails, tweets and messages have been received and most reported bugs are covered by this update. If you encounter any more, please keep the messages coming!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
############################################
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now have some pictures!

sh_city8wklm.png

sh_jungle9ijzy.png

sh_marketfirecckob.png

sh_streamingfaddwj62.png

sh_subscribeforink4vk3k.png

sh_subscriptionwareuyjmm.png

sh_suburbstvji7.png

sh_subway6rjbg.png

And now, opinions!

Some Shakedown: Hawaii gameplay. Quick first impressions: this game is fun. Controls are great, looks good, and runs well. I hope it doesn't fall under the radar for folks this month, because it has a great "pick up and play" feel to it. I'm going to lose sleep tonight because I need to keep playing.

The first review of Shakedown Hawaii makes the game sound pretty promising!

https://www.destructoid.com/review-shakedown-hawaii-552312.phtml
There are some more Reviews if the OP wants to add them:

Push Square: 7/10
Playstation Universe: 8.5/10
Nintendo World Report: 6.5/10

The Nintendo World Report review sadly reads like my fears based on the gameplay I have seen. :(
Worth nothing the same reviewer (NWR) gave Retro City Rampage a 10/10 and a lot of his complaints about this game are due to it not being like that one. In both gameplay and overall tone, Shakedown Hawaii is a massive improvement. I'm actually baffled anyone would find RCR to be a 10 out of 10, but hey, opinions.

Two other YT outlets (both Switch-focused channels) gave Shakedown Hawaii an 8.5 and 8.75.

Last edited:

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Great OT, the more Jay-Z quotes on titles the better!

Not sure I'll pick this up at launch since I have so much to play right now, but its been on my radar and it will remain on my radar for a Switch purchase

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I'm in whenever it comes to Steam, though I'd be interested to hear how the Vita version compares.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely getting this for Switch. Is it safe to say it's similar to the OG GTA?

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That Vita version sold out with the quickness. I wasn't able to get to it right at it's availability, and it was gone. Wanted it to go with the OG, but I may have to get the switch version physical to make up for it. Likely still buy it digitally for vita though too. I can't wait for this game.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
It says it launches on the 7th in Australia but it's the 7th in Australia and it's still only up for preorder :(

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Retro City Rampage was fantastic.

This looks like a worthy follow up. Can't wait.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Interested to see how this one shakes out, was at the top of my most wanted switch Launch window games before the huge delay

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
I've been waiting for this for a while now. I loved Retro City, this looks so good. Tomorrow can't come soon enough, I may have to wait until payday on Friday though.

Nice job on the OT!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Anything on parity between Switch and 3DS? Been waiting on 3DS for a looooooooong time.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
This has been one of my most anticipated indie games since the reveal trailer. I'll be getting it on Switch. I'm digging all of it.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is more in-depth and has more meat to it than retro city rampage

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I missed the physical on this, so I'll hold off on it for now. Looks fun though.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Thread music:

I wish I could have pre-purchased/pre-loaded, but dat svelte file size...

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It says it launches on the 7th in Australia but it's the 7th in Australia and it's still only up for preorder :(
One of the first things in the OP is the expected release time.
That's one hell hov an OT title. Well done.
heh
See, this whole time I was thinking "damn, I forgot to put something in there but what was it ..." :D

I wish I could have pre-purchased/pre-loaded, but dat svelte file size...
hm?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The graphics in this are so great I might just buy it for that alone, and then find within a great game to boot.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Nintendo World Report review sadly reads like my fears based on the gameplay I have seen. :(

Worth nothing the same reviewer gave Retro City Rampage a 10/10 and a lot of his complaints about this game are due to it not being like that one. In both gameplay and overall tone, Shakedown Hawaii is a massive improvement. I'm actually baffled anyone would find RCR to be a 10 out of 10, but hey, opinions.

Two other YT outlets (both Switch-focused channels) gave Shakedown Hawaii an 8.5 and 8.75.

Last edited: