J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I loved how Shang-Chi's fighting style with the rings is completely different from Wenwu's style. Wenwu is extremely aggressive with the rings choosing to use them mostly as a whip, but Shang-Chi is graceful with his approach, having them float around him, letting them come to him when he needs them. So dope.

Legit one of the best origin films in the MCU.

Also, what's Shang-Chi's power level with the rings? How far below Thor & how close to Steve Rogers?

And the Kamehameha Wave is now canon in the MCU.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
just an absolute blast. the best marvel origin film easy and one of the best comic book movies ever.

one of the few movies i left wanting to immediately rewatch

marvel is doing a great job allowing the supporting cast to shine. this & black panther really nailed introductory movies in that way

i like to think that was fat cobra too

ef23a4f167c69eec9eb26905a2983313.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
For me it could have been a lot better without the Final Fantasy big bad at the end. His father was such a perfect villain. Wish Marvel would move away from the CGI stuffed third acts.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from Wenwu, Xialing was my favorite character in the film and I was really surprised to find out that this was apparently the actress's first role ever.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Shang-Chi was fantastic, from the choreography to the overall performances to (surprisingly) the feels. Easily the best origin film in the MCU & among the greats of the MCU overall. And a pleasant surprise, the entire movie was filmed in IMAX. So if you're willing to spend the money, I'd go see it that way.

If MvC4 happens, Shang-Chi better get in the base roster.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
He's not named directly in the movie (he does have an Elder God-like title iirc, "The one who..." and I don't remember the end) but given his role, he could very well be. I'm waiting for more knowledgeable people like Slayven to confirm. Samu Liu said a few months ago that it he wasn't in the movie but I don't think the trailers fully revealed him so it could have been to mislead people to keep the surprise
They're avoiding using the name Fin Fang Foom as it's a relic of the Orientalist/racist past.

Plus, linguistically there is no way Fin Fang Foom could work in Mandarin. It's definitely one of those names that a western guy tried to make to sound Chinese.

My theatre was doing only 3D showings on the first night, so I had to dig out my previous pair of glasses for the first time in over a year, because my most recent frame is too large for the 3D glasses to fit over.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good movie. This is the first MCU movie where I have basically no pre-existing attachments to the characters, as Shang-Chi was not featured in any animated series I watched as a kid nor did he have any comics being published at the time I was most into reading them.

This might be the first movie in cinematic history where two characters insist they are just friends at the beginning and they are, in fact, still just friends at the movie's end -- though that probably shouldn't be a surprise with Marvel Studios, I'm sure there were champagne bottles popped when they realized Shang-Chi didn't have a mainstay love interest.

Wenwu is up there among the MCU's best antagonists. Great work by Leung, and pretty solid character writing for both him and his relationship to his son.

Shang-Chi himself has a somewhat understated character arc, but it's well-executed. The movie makes an interesting choice in that it downplays the mechanics of the Ten Rings, etc., which does maybe make the climactic showdown with the big monster a bit rote from a character perspective, but whatever, it looked cool.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shang-Chi was fantastic, from the choreography to the overall performances to (surprisingly) the feels. Easily the best origin film in the MCU & among the greats of the MCU overall. And a pleasant surprise, the entire movie was filmed in IMAX. So if you're willing to spend the money, I'd go see it that way.

If MvC4 happens, Shang-Chi better get in the base roster.
Oh cool, I catched a normal screening because the IMAX was full, but I think I'll go see it again in a few days. I only have 3D IMAX though but I don't mind 3D.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
It was a let down for me personally

+ Action was pretty good!
+ Shang-Chi was fun
+ Mandarin was pretty good
+ Music was good

/ Awkwafina was alright she's in it to act a guide for the viewer
/ World building is decent but very rushed
/ More time to build with these characters in present would be good
/ trevor was alright but got he overstayed his welcome a bit too long
/ middle drags a bit

- The generic ass henchmen who I don't know at all (one has a blade and one has a mask)
- sister really didn't do anything for me
- the way the mother dies was not as sad as I was expecting. reminds me of yakuza, literally a bunch of people show up and beat her up with no security
- the story didn't do anything for me (dad hears voices clearly after seeing his wife dead but still thinks she's alive and must destroy this certain area to unleash her) (also it never really explained why him wearing the rings the whole time made him start to hear those voices)
- the fight between wong and abomination was a huge let down
- fuck the henchmen's car with all those stickers driving through the maze (nitpick I know lol)
- CGI generic flying monsters things sadly

It's like a solid 6.5/7 for me.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
My girlfriend has not seen a single Marvel film other than Black Panther, which she loved. Reckon she could still enjoy this without feeling lost?

Debating between seeing this or Free Guy tonight.

Nov 13, 2017
It was a let down for me personally

+ Action was pretty good!
+ Shang-Chi was fun
+ Mandarin was pretty good
+ Music was good

/ Awkwafina was alright she's in it to act a guide for the viewer
/ World building is decent but very rushed
/ More time to build with these characters in present would be good
/ trevor was alright but got he overstayed his welcome a bit too long
/ middle drags a bit

- The generic ass henchmen who I don't know at all (one has a blade and one has a mask)
- sister really didn't do anything for me
- the way the mother dies was not as sad as I was expecting. reminds me of yakuza, literally a bunch of people show up and beat her up with no security
- the story didn't do anything for me (dad hears voices clearly after seeing his wife dead but still thinks she's alive and must destroy this certain area to unleash her) (also it never really explained why him wearing the rings the whole time made him start to hear those voices)
- the fight between wong and abomination was a huge let down
- fuck the henchmen's car with all those stickers driving through the maze (nitpick I know lol)
- CGI generic flying monsters things sadly

It's like a solid 6.5/7 for me.
Exactly how I felt. I'm very surprised that people are saying this is a better origin than Black Panther...

The sister was so irrelevant to both the story and to her own family. Poor thing. The actress was good.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Absolutely loved this movie. Really liked everyone in the Shang-Chi family, even the mom who was mostly a plot device.

And Katy honestly sounded more into Shang's sister. Which… I totally understand, she's awesome.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Xialing keeping the Ten Rings around makes sense if they're gonna keep it an ongoing threat for Ironheart.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
45 day window for streaming, right? There is no way I'm going to a theater in the next few months.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
One of you cowards come up with a theory rn about why the rings is sending a signal dammit

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solid, not amazing movie. Fight scenes were TOUGH, and I actually really liked the CG fight at the end. Using the rings to kill the dragon in particular was sick af.

It didn't blow me away, but it also wasn't Black Widow.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it quite a bit! Tony Leung was great in it, and the action was good!

can't wait for the album to come out. I really like listening to 88rising artists.

Mmmkay

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the rings tie into the Eternals. Like, that were made/stolen from their ship, and only when enough energy was put into them (via the Kamehameha), was the beacon able to activate.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up. It was great. Lieu and Awkwafina played off each other great. Shang-chi is such a likeable character.

Yeoh and Kingsley were fantastic supporting characters.

Feels like there's a missing scene though...

during the fight with his father at the end, when he chose not to kill him, it seems like that's where we should have found out why he didn't go through with killing his mother's killer. He was all set to do it. What changed during the mission?

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
The showing I went to was at 6pm and I was surprised at the low attendance. Most of the people that came showed up during the trailers but even so I'd say the theater was 1/3rd full which is unusual but understandable; I really hope the movie does well. I liked the movie but didn't love it, I felt the pacing was off and it ran a bit longer than it needed to. Marvel needs to
stop killing off it's bad guys so quickly
, I loved the action and the way the story was told. I'm excited for what the future brings and it's always fun to see the pieces come together.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed it, but I'm gonna have to watch it again. We went to a new theater this time and it was weirdly long, compared to the stadium seating place we usually go.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Just finished up. It was great. Lieu and Awkwafina played off each other great. Shang-chi is such a likeable character.

during the fight with his father at the end, when he chose not to kill him, it seems like that's where we should have found out why he didn't go through with killing his mother's killer. He was all set to do it. What changed during the mission?
He did kill his mother's killer though. Afterward he feel ashamed and run away

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

But he did do it. That's the whole thing, he's ashamed of himself for doing it. It's part of his running away from his past.

Though I agree, they probably should have had a scene about what disgusted him so direly about the part of him that was a killer, something he was trained for 7 years to do.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA

towards the end he talked to Awkwafina's character that he did kill that person.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the rings tie into the Eternals. Like, that were made/stolen from their ship, and only when enough energy was put into them (via the Kamehameha), was the beacon able to activate.

I hope they do something different than what they've done in the comics because more faceless bug aliens is kind of boring. But maybe we get fing fang foom and we can truly wonder if the MCU would make him wear pants.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I think they finally move on to be a couple during mid credit. They didn't say it. But I feel they grow even closer at the end.

There was definitely nothing to indicate to me that they were anything more than close friends.

In fact, Marvel seems to be making a conscious effort to move away from having traditional love interest roles in there projects ever since the start of phase 3 and that's been even more apparent in phase 4. The only romantic plots so far have been the already established relationship between Wanda and Vision and Loki literally falling in love with himself.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There was definitely nothing to indicate to me that they were anything more than close friends.

In fact, Marvel seems to be making a conscious effort to move away from having traditional love interest roles in there projects ever since the start of phase 3 and that's been even more apparent in phase 4. The only romantic plots so far have been the already established relationship between Wanda and Vision and Loki literally falling in love with himself.

I don't know, they were getting PRETTY CHUMMY towards the end. I know they've been trying to avoid traditional romance roles but...I felt some sparks there.