• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Every Souls game and Bloodborne is in the same multiverse

Multiverse? Not even same universe? Not a particularly daring theory considering there's not a lot of space travel going on beyond the occasional eldritch abomination. If you said same world, that'd be something at least. :D

The Twili in Twilight Princess are exiled Gerudo followers of Ganondorf cast into the Twilight Realm as punishment. Over 100 years, the realm affected them and they became the Twili. This explains the Gerudo symbol being all over the Twilight Temple, the absence of the Gerudo in TP, and the one portal to the Twilight Realm being located in the Gerudo desert.

Zant was the new 100-year male born to these exiled Gerudo-turned-Twili, but for whatever reason, Midna was chosen as the ruler over him, despite Gerudo custom. This is what led to his psychotic break, betrayal, and usurping of the Twili throne. It's also why Ganondorf was drawn to him, as another 100-year male.

As mentioned by Zant himself, he's resurrected by Ganondorf so long as the latter is alive, so he revives after being "popped" by Midna. This link is a two way street, so when Ganondorf is stabbed through the chest, it's the link to Zant, the other 100-year male Gerudo, that keeps Ganondorf alive despite his mortal wound. It's only once Zant severs the link (Likely due to hearing Ganondorf openly mocking and betraying him) with his infamous neck crick that Ganondorf truly succumbs to the wound and dies, the tie to his and Zant's mutual immortality arrangement severed.

As a result, Zant survives the end of Twilight Princess, hiding somewhere in obscurity, potentially to be revisited in a future Zelda game.

This is awesome, not bullshit. Love it!

I think that's actual canon in the FFXIII universe though...

I think we just found Filip Miucin's ResetEra account...

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
When FFXIII came out I had an elaborate theory that all the gods and stuff were just advanced AIs designed to terraform and maintain civilization, but after their jobs were interrupted their original purpose was forgotten and people began to worship them.

I can't remember the actual story at all so I don't know if any of that even remotely makes sense.
The underlined is actually fairly true. The fal'Cie were created to essentially do basic-yet-important tasks to nurture humanity inside Cocoon, all so that the massive amount of deaths from Cocoon's planned fall will tear up the Gate of Souls and usher in the gods' return. (The trouble is, in order for Cocoon to do that, they need a human to destroy its power source, because the fal'Cie's "programming" prohibits them from deviating from their specific tasks. Hence their other power, to brand humans and give them a goal with the threat of undeath if they fail.)

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Terry and Andy Bogards are Geese Howard sons (noticed how they look alike ?). The whole plan with his close friend Jeff Bogard was for them to grow stronger and kill him because he felt he deserved it. Predictabo and according to keikaku.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017

The underlined is actually fairly true. The fal'Cie were created to essentially do basic-yet-important tasks to nurture humanity inside Cocoon, all so that the massive amount of deaths from Cocoon's planned fall will tear up the Gate of Souls and usher in the gods' return. (The trouble is, in order for Cocoon to do that, they need a human to destroy its power source, because the fal'Cie's "programming" prohibits them from deviating from their specific tasks. Hence their other power, to brand humans and give them a goal with the threat of undeath if they fail.)

On one hand, good to know I retained something from that game; on the other hand, I was apparently so stupid and confused that I thought the actual plot was my idea.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Link and Zelda are brother and sister.

Yes, that makes your fanfic creepy but that is on you.

while i never explicitly thought they were siblings i always thought that was the extent of their "relationship", just bound by the triforce or whatever. though in Skyward Sword they did actually hook up to my surprise

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started Bloodbourne and created a Black hunter. Bloodbourne is an allegory for racism, the plague which turned the inhabitants of Yharnham into monsters.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
The Twili in Twilight Princess are exiled Gerudo followers of Ganondorf cast into the Twilight Realm as punishment. Over 100 years, the realm affected them and they became the Twili. This explains the Gerudo symbol being all over the Twilight Temple, the absence of the Gerudo in TP, and the one portal to the Twilight Realm being located in the Gerudo desert.

Zant was the new 100-year male born to these exiled Gerudo-turned-Twili, but for whatever reason, Midna was chosen as the ruler over him, despite Gerudo custom. This is what led to his psychotic break, betrayal, and usurping of the Twili throne. It's also why Ganondorf was drawn to him, as another 100-year male.

As mentioned by Zant himself, he's resurrected by Ganondorf so long as the latter is alive, so he revives after being "popped" by Midna. This link is a two way street, so when Ganondorf is stabbed through the chest, it's the link to Zant, the other 100-year male Gerudo, that keeps Ganondorf alive despite his mortal wound. It's only once Zant severs the link (Likely due to hearing Ganondorf openly mocking and betraying him) with his infamous neck crick that Ganondorf truly succumbs to the wound and dies, the tie to his and Zant's mutual immortality arrangement severed.

As a result, Zant survives the end of Twilight Princess, hiding somewhere in obscurity, potentially to be revisited in a future Zelda game.
I subscribe to this one, with the added caveat that not all of Ganondorf's followers were Gerudo (think about how Ingo raised Epona to give as a gift to Ganondorf in order to curry favour). Besides, the Gerudo would have needed at least some men around to father the next generation.

Speaking of Gerudo, my headcanon is that after the events of OoT and MM, Link settled down with Malon and lived out his days Lon Lon Ranch.

Now the little-known thing about Malon is that her mother was likely Gerudo. Not only does she have the signature red hair, but when you speak to Talon with the Gerudo mask on, he says something along the lines of "I'm suddenly reminded of Malon's mother". This combined with the gossip stone that says "rumour has it that the Gerudo come into Hyrule Castle Town looking for boyfriends" and the way Gerudo romance works in BotW (Gerudo go out into the world, meet men, get married and/or have daughters, then return to Gerudo Town), implies that Malon was one of those daughters. Her mother is gone by the time Link meets her in OoT, but the clues as to her heritage are there.

Why is this important? Well, in TP, the Hero's Shade talks about his regret in having had nobody to pass his sword techniques on to before he died. Many believe that this is the very same Link from OoT/MM.Could this be because, married to a woman of Gerudo descent, he had no sons, only daughters? Living in patriarchal Hyrule rather than matriarchal Gerudo Town, it may have never occurred to him to teach his girls how to fight and they themselves may never have shown much interest, leading to the techniques becoming lost over time.

This isn't to say that TP Link can't be descended from OoT Link through the female line. The female-births-only thing the Gerudo display doesn't appear to be purely genetic. Otherwise we'd see families of red-haired women descended from Gerudo expatriates (like Ronson from BotW) all around Hyrule. Perhaps there's some magic at play in the desert that daughters of the Gerudo need to be in touch with to give birth only to daughters. Maybe it's cultural (thinking of the Terminan Great Bay pirates here) and it's the intervention of their goddess that causes this to be so.

Either one would put the kibosh on the Malon-only-giving-birth-to-daughters thing unless it's a coincidence or if Malon's mother happened to dedicate her at birth to the desert goddess, but Malon, being ignorant of her heritage, did not do the same for her own children.

I like to think it's true though.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a Metal Gear/Kojima thread.
366.jpg

LmUee5k.jpg

You need a head transplant m8

I think we just found Filip Miucin's ResetEra account...

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care what anyone says, creator of the game or otherwise, Jenova is the primary antagonist of Final Fantasy VII and Sephiroth is just acting out her will because he's an extension of her due to being born of her cells.

Yeah, Sephiroth was in control the whole time, and just happened to adopt Jenova's exact plan of devouring the planet and its Lifestream as an independent villain then sailing through the cosmos to find a new one to eat. It totally wasn't because he was chock full of her cells, cells which are confirmed to turn normal beings into monstrous aspects of Jenova herself. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

Yoooo
I am Setsuna takes place in the same world as Chrono Trigger, between the fall of Zeal and the rise of Guardia.

The ancient civilization that experimented with Magic was Zeal, and all the Chrono Trigger Easter eggs are actually real mentions of the Trigger cast (such as the legend of the frog swordsman).

The final boss of the game is a human experiment from a desperate group of ex-Enlightened Ones to recover magic after they lost it on the Zeal cataclysm.
YOOOOOO

I support these 100%

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Polterpups (from Luigi's Mansion) are dead Poochies (from Yoshi games).

I mean, they have the same general shape and everything.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
One of my favorite personal Mega Man theories relates to similarities between the classic and Battle Network/Star Force timelines.

Now, in the classic Mega Man games, there is a bunch of wild stuff in the canon that is buried in obscure sources, such as the profile CDs from Mega Man & Bass. Among these random tidbits is the fact that Shadow Man from MM3 was built using alien technology that Dr. Wily got from who knows where. A similar detail is that Sword Man from MM8 is built around an ancient artifact that Dr. Wily stole somewhere.

Now, in the BN/SF timeline, Mega Man Star Force 2 introduced a set of ancient artifacts made using lost super technology. Of the three items, one is a ninja throwing star and another is a giant two-handed sword. The similarities to Shadow Man and Sword Man's supertech are pretty striking, other than the sword being electric element rather than fire element.

Now, the lost technology weapons in Star Force 2 are related to the lost civilization of Mu, some sort of ancient super-civilization that possessed the technology to transform computer data into solid objects made out of an exotic form of electromagnetic wave. The core of the Mu civilization was a machine called Le Mu.

Now, classic Mega Man encounters a very similar opponent in the obscure Super Adventure Rockman! adventure game. The villain of that is an alien super computer named Ra Moon that fell to Earth a very long time ago. When Dr. Wily finds Ra Moon, it starts to create copies of old robots seemingly out of nothing and starts to generate a massive amount of global EM interference.

Now, both "Le Mu" and "Ra Moon" are pretty minor variants of the original "king Ra of Mu" from some of the historical fanciful inventions about the nonexistent lost continent. However, the other similarities do seem like the devs at Capcom were intentionally creating parallels between the two Mega Man continuities. If it is intentional, filling in information from one to the other fills in a lot of the information gaps within either canon. The Mu from Starforce having extraterrestrial origins makes a ton of sense, and it would offer an explanation as to the origins and nature of Shadow Man's alien technology.

The only big question is how ancient aliens fits into Grand Unified Capcom theory (i.e. Mega Man and Street Fighter share a continuity).

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Cuphead is about unionization of workers against a monolithic corporate entity.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Tingle is Link's illegitimate brother.
The Great Deku Tree who dies during the events of Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland is the same GDT Link meets in Wind Waker. The continents FPTRR takes place in are the result of the GDT's plan to plant korok seeds on the islands and thereby expand the land.

At no point during the game does anybody mention Hyrule, Link, Zelda or the triforce. These are unknown by the time the game takes place.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
The stone tower temple theory in Majora's Mask, even if it's bs I force myself to believe it because it adds a lot to the game.

The Stone Tower: Why Termina was Doomed - Zelda Universe

Shigeru Miyamoto once stated in a Nintendo Power interview that the Zelda team's primary goal for Majora's Mask was to "present something which is very mysterious". The game invites the player to act as a detective, to investigate the secrets and troubles of the people of Termina, and of Termina...

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I subscribe to this one, with the added caveat that not all of Ganondorf's followers were Gerudo (think about how Ingo raised Epona to give as a gift to Ganondorf in order to curry favour). Besides, the Gerudo would have needed at least some men around to father the next generation.

Speaking of Gerudo, my headcanon is that after the events of OoT and MM, Link settled down with Malon and lived out his days Lon Lon Ranch.

Now the little-known thing about Malon is that her mother was likely Gerudo. Not only does she have the signature red hair, but when you speak to Talon with the Gerudo mask on, he says something along the lines of "I'm suddenly reminded of Malon's mother". This combined with the gossip stone that says "rumour has it that the Gerudo come into Hyrule Castle Town looking for boyfriends" and the way Gerudo romance works in BotW (Gerudo go out into the world, meet men, get married and/or have daughters, then return to Gerudo Town), implies that Malon was one of those daughters. Her mother is gone by the time Link meets her in OoT, but the clues as to her heritage are there.

Why is this important? Well, in TP, the Hero's Shade talks about his regret in having had nobody to pass his sword techniques on to before he died. Many believe that this is the very same Link from OoT/MM.Could this be because, married to a woman of Gerudo descent, he had no sons, only daughters? Living in patriarchal Hyrule rather than matriarchal Gerudo Town, it may have never occurred to him to teach his girls how to fight and they themselves may never have shown much interest, leading to the techniques becoming lost over time.

This isn't to say that TP Link can't be descended from OoT Link through the female line. The female-births-only thing the Gerudo display doesn't appear to be purely genetic. Otherwise we'd see families of red-haired women descended from Gerudo expatriates (like Ronson from BotW) all around Hyrule. Perhaps there's some magic at play in the desert that daughters of the Gerudo need to be in touch with to give birth only to daughters. Maybe it's cultural (thinking of the Terminan Great Bay pirates here) and it's the intervention of their goddess that causes this to be so.

Either one would put the kibosh on the Malon-only-giving-birth-to-daughters thing unless it's a coincidence or if Malon's mother happened to dedicate her at birth to the desert goddess, but Malon, being ignorant of her heritage, did not do the same for her own children.

I like to think it's true though.
I have had similar thoughts about Malon's ancestry, although not as thorough as yours.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdoo Hearts takes place in Sora's coma-induced dream. That's why he sees cartoon and game characters, there's multiple versions of each one, and nothing makes sense. As he becomes more lucid he unlocks more powers such as flying.

Dec 25, 2018

Ooh that's a good theory.

During Mass effect 3s first year I was very into the Indoctrination Theory. But after the Final Hours documentary, which showed the lead writers napkin scribbles and after the extended cut released I started to drift away with the realisation that it wasn't intended and the incosistencies were a result of a rushed production and a lead writer deciding to ditch the standard writing process/group critique that had served the writing team well for most of the series.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Before the Zelda timeline became official, I always thought Link's Awakening worked way better as a Majora's Mask sequel/Wind Waker prequel than a LttP sequel, with the storm at the start being the cataclysm that befell Hyrule and Link wakes up after it's all over and lives out the rest of his life on Outset Island.

Also the Mario timeline in my mind is - The babies are delivered by stork into the Mushroom Kingdom (Yoshi's Island), Mario and Luigi grow up and move to New Donk City to become plumbers (Mario Bros), DK kidnaps Mario's GF Pauline one day making him realize his calling as a hero (Donkey Kong 94), after an amicable split Mario returns to the Mushroom Kingdom after he hears of Bowser's first plot (Super Mario Bros.) Luigi follows him because he can't maintain a business or something.

Also I think any theory that's basically "it was a dream the whole time" is terrible, unless it's substantially supported by the text itself (Majora and LA are this, and even then they still imply their respective realities were "real"). Nothing is made better by rendering 99% of the story moot.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The "cult religion" in Silent Hill isn't real.

The "gods and demons" that appear during the games are just random monsters conjured up from the headspace of the cultists. They have no divine properties and the various rituals only work because the cultists believe they will work. The unknown phenomenon of the town itself is the only thing in the series with power. There are no rules, logic or explanations.

My favorite was the Mass Effect 3 Shepard Indoctrination theory:

We know it's BS now but for a while after ME3 released I really wanted to believe it a lot more than what we actually got.

There's sooooo much evidence. It must have at least been a plot thread at some point in development. Shepherd's dream sequences are match the indoctrination description perfectly with the inky figures and all that.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Jenova from FFVII is a Fal'Cie from FFXIII. It gave Sephiroth a Focus to destroy the world and turned him into a L'Cie, which explains his transformation.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
new super mario bros 2 was a capitalistic deconstruction of mario, with a focus on amassing golden coins

mario galaxy was an spiritual journey for mario, where coins were almost never used

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In final fantasy 14 the warrior of lights a primal

When I was a kid I thought sora was a kid dieing of cancer and the end of the world was him falling into actual death

Kingdoo Hearts takes place in Sora's coma-induced dream. That's why he sees cartoon and game characters, there's multiple versions of each one, and nothing makes sense. As he becomes more lucid he unlocks more powers such as flying.
I'M NOT ALONE!!!!!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's part of Ueda's story or a commonly-accepted fan theory, but my headcanon is that Mono from Shadow of the Colossus grows up to be the Dark Queen from Ico. In SotC Wander says she was sacrificed because she had a cursed fate, and I think that's what it was.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Pokeballs were reverse engineered from Samus 's morph ball.
Pokemon is post apocalyptic earth, pre splatoon but long enough that people forgot names of places and roads grew over etc.
Eventually people die out and pikmin are an evolved form of grass pokemon. World floods then its Splatoon.
Kirby's shiver star is after that.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I've always loved the ditto is a failed mew clone theory
This one makes a lot of sense with:
  1. Ditto and Mew having the same dimensions.
  2. Sharing the move Transform.
  3. Dittos being located in two places: new the ruined lab where Mewtwo was created, and the cave where Mewtwo resides.
I pretty much believe it's the case. I guess since Gen 1, Dittos just multiplied and spread around the world.

Also, just realized both Ditto and Mewtwo factored into the ending of the Detective Pikachu movie. Probably just a coincidence.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Everything about Death Stranding right now is a bullshit lore theory to the point I'll be sad when it releases and gets a canon.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Fox McCloud's father from Star Fox is actually James McCloud from F-Zero, he appears in Fox's and other characters' memories as a Fox because he was using a holographic disguise (as we know they exist thanks to Dinosaur planet) to stay incognito in Corneria.

After the Venom mission where Pigma betrayed them he escaped along Peppy but faked his death in order to protect his wife and Fox, instead he went off Lylat and started a new bounty hunter group and racing in the F-Zero to make money he secretly sent to his family in Lylat.