• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
benzy

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Adam's video is great. Strongly agree with his impressions and it's a pretty awesome story the way he ended up playing the game at E3 (and also how he ran into Yu Suzuki about 20 times).

I also made a Shenmue 3 video. Happy to answer any questions and will have a much longer preview this weekend.

Nice impressions man, thanks for sharing.

Holy shit the After Burner music playing when you chop wood. xD

Several people say the combat feels off. Could you go into detail on that? Is it just the input doesn't feel responsive? And do you know if people have brought up the combat concerns to Suzuki?

Last edited:

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Several people say the combat feels off. Could you go into detail on that? Is it just the input doesn't feel responsive? And do you know if people have brought up the combat concerns to Suzuki?

So during my play session I only fought a single battle. I was told that this was a very difficult battle and that it was far from unexpected that I lost. The basics of moving about and punching & kicking actually felt much more similar to Shenmue II than I was expecting. As you've seen in videos, you are shown the button inputs for combos on the screen. I tried repeatedly to pull off the combo on display and was not having a lot of luck. However, I was participating in a 90 second battle, which isn't a lot of time to figure out the proper timing. In addition, because the opponent was so difficult he usually hit me before I could input the entire combo. I didn't spend enough time battling to judge whether the fighting is unresponsive.

I did ask Suzuki-san to talk a bit about the new fighting system. His response (which I still need to transcribe) will be in my preview later this week, but he did stress that he thought the new combat system was more enjoyable than the Virtua Figther derived system of the prior Shenmue titles. I did not directly ask him if he'd been hearing concerns about the combat.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
So during my play session I only fought a single battle. I was told that this was a very difficult battle and that it was far from unexpected that I lost. The basics of moving about and punching & kicking actually felt much more similar to Shenmue II than I was expecting. As you've seen in videos, you are shown the button inputs for combos on the screen. I tried repeatedly to pull off the combo on display and was not having a lot of luck. However, I was participating in a 90 second battle, which isn't a lot of time to figure out the proper timing. In addition, because the opponent was so difficult he usually hit me before I could input the entire combo. I didn't spend enough time battling to judge whether the fighting is unresponsive.

I did ask Suzuki-san to talk a bit about the new fighting system. His response (which I still need to transcribe) will be in my preview later this week, but he did stress that he thought the new combat system was more enjoyable than the Virtua Figther derived system of the prior Shenmue titles. I did not directly ask him if he'd been hearing concerns about the combat.

Thanks for the impressions! These are great.

OP
OP
benzy

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks! Feeling similar to Shenmue 2 sounds good to me.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Im all in for shenmue 3 and i couldnt care less for the graphics or gameplay, the story keeps me.going, i just have one doubt?

If this is a low budget game, why does it cost like a high budget game? Should this game cost the same as God of war for example?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Im all in for shenmue 3 and i couldnt care less for the graphics or gameplay, the story keeps me.going, i just have one doubt?

If this is a low budget game, why does it cost like a high budget game? Should this game cost the same as God of war for example?
We don't really know the production budget of the game other than the outline from the Kickstarter + guessing unknown funds from external investors. It's a AA game - I would take a guess that the total including Shibuya and Deep Silver investments is somewhere around $15m total possibly more, but that's a complete guess. The core team started small and is around 50 people, excluding outsourcing. Either way it's nowhere close to what a AAA production like God of War would be. For various reasons the costs for a project like that are several multiples higher.

To be honest, I think everything's important. The story, characters, music, UI, mini-games, part-time jobs, combat, art style, NPCs, picking up items to inspect. It seems like they're pretty on point with all of these things to make a super authentic Shenmue game.

Fool

Banned
May 2, 2018
I thought it looked good, close to what I expected. Sure, the NPC faces need some work to make them look more... well, human. Other than that, I'm confident it will deliver.

Of course this is coming from a Shenmue I and II veteran who has been waiting for 17-18 years and backed the game on Kickstarter in a heartbeat.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I love about some of the recent impressions is that like Shenmue 2, you have to buy a map if you want a map of the area. Kiske over at Shenmue Dojo made an image of what parts of Bailu Village we have seen from the mini map on gameplay footage and compiled this:

vuF2oYl.jpg

It actually looks pretty big when looked at like this and it's only one area of the game.

OP
OP
benzy

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of Chinese previews + an interview. They've spent a lot of time marketing to China so I am interested in these impressions.

There's a Chinese collectors edition!

Thanks. This explains why people were having issues with combat and couldn't pull off the on-screen combo. I'm not really all that concerned anymore.

"The battles shown in the demo are all 1-on-1 fights. Ryo's basic attacks include punches and kicks, and he can unleash special moves and combos if you press certain punch/kick button combinations, which is very much like the system of a dedicated fighting game. Each move can also be leveled up. When a particular move is at a low level, your button input timing needs to be very exact to execute this move, perhaps even stricter than for some dedicated fighters. But once you use the move often enough to level up, the move becomes easier to execute."​

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. This explains why people were having issues with combat and couldn't pull off the on-screen combo. I'm not really all that concerned anymore.

"The battles shown in the demo are all 1-on-1 fights. Ryo's basic attacks include punches and kicks, and he can unleash special moves and combos if you press certain punch/kick button combinations, which is very much like the system of a dedicated fighting game. Each move can also be leveled up. When a particular move is at a low level, your button input timing needs to be very exact to execute this move, perhaps even stricter than for some dedicated fighters. But once you use the move often enough to level up, the move becomes easier to execute."​

I really like that, basically earning the right to use it out of practice, like real training. Awesome.