• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 12, 2018
Our main man Dusk Golem is hinting at an announcement of some kind very soon

If it's Shenmue 4, then that would be amazing. The community has worked so hard to bring the franchise back

I'm sure there will be snarky remarks in here as always, but try to be respectful and pleased for other gaming communities. We thrive when we support each other.

For the record, i enjoyed Shenmue 3. First 2 games are really magical though.

Damn i just realized gamescom is round the corner literally. Hype

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yu Suzuki realizes it's absolutely insane to keep his fans waiting for the next 30 years for him to finish Shenmue, and announces a novel cleaning out the rest of the story.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes please, Shenmue 3 may have not been all that (I liked it for what it was), but I definitely want more.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
...they just released shenmue 3.

It will be another corwdfunding that will take 5 years to be release, won't it?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Yu Suzuki realizes it's absolutely insane to keep his fans waiting for the next 30 years for him to finish Shenmue, and announces a novel cleaning out the rest of the story.

Honestly, I see something like this as more likely. "A fun, kinda unexpected announcement" doesn't sound like OMG SHENMUE IV to me.

Maybe a graphic novel or something.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
"Fun kinda unexpected" If it wasn't for the word fun, I would say S4, but maybe it is something VR related or a visual novel/manga/anime.

OP
OP
Jun 12, 2018
They got everything in place. No need for crowdfunding. They should just tease Shenmue 4 and go silent for the next few years. Show it off when its ready.

I think i saw Sega and Deep silver wil be at the event. Ill have to double check. Would be awesome if Sega picks it back up.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I loved Shenmue 1+2, flaws and all

I appreciated Shenmue 3 in some respects but it outright wasted my time and pretty much killed my love for the franchise

I'm glad 4 may be coming though, I may check it out on a sale or get if reviews are stellar but I have absolutely no faith in it

Considering Yu has made some of my favourite games of all time, that's a shame

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Doesn't read as Shenmue 4 to me. More like a small spinoff game or a manga like others have said.

Oct 25, 2017
I LOVED Shenmue 3, warts and all. There's something to it's earnest clumsy execution that is absolutely endearing and produces an atmosphere like no other. I'd love a 4th.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Would love it to be Shenmue 4. Although I will even take a book/manga at this point.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Very optimistic. I think a Switch port or dlc is more likely. Hopefully they could revamp the combat or fix some of the more egregious time wasting aspects. Also drop the food stamina crap.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The games aren't my cup of tea but that's actually cool especially with like you mentioned how hard people worked to get the franchise back. Hopefully it's something fans enjoy.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this happens. It would be a shame to leave the story unfinished.

If it does happen hopefully he takes some of the complaints to heart and modernizes it. I would rather a new breed of Shenmue than no Shenmue at all.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately the way he goes out of his way to emphasize Shenmue story, would make me think dlc or manga

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Would be surprised if that tweet is hinting at Shenmue 4. Maybe more DLC, or non-game material.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the atmosphere of 3 and find the mini games and characters cute and charming. I would appreciate a 4th one to improve the combat and pacing.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if it has proper backing to be on par with 1 & 2 it'll pique my interest. But number 3, which I backed via Kickstarter, was absolute trash.

Shenmue 3's problem wasn't that it was stuck in the past, it was that its past installments were much better, and didn't feel like unfinished, shallow student projects.

OP
OP
Jun 12, 2018
I wonder if its an xbox port? I also recall the switch being teased at one point for the first two games.

Only time will tell

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Interesting he specifically says the story. Not sure if it sounds like a new game. Maybe they'll continue the story in another format? At this point, I would be happy with the entirety of the VF Legend of Akira novel that Suzuki wrote being translated and released in digital platforms.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't really be a fun announcement. Shenmue 3 for its flaws still felt like journeying a beautiful world, to me.

A manga/novel to conclude it, would feel like cancellation.

Best case scenario is he gets the funding, and comes up with an ending for 4. I understand not ending it with 3, but 4's story should be close to treasure location.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't really be a fun announcement. Shenmue 3 for its flaws still felt like journeying a beautiful world, to me.

A manga to conclude it, would feel like cancellation.

Best case scenario is he gets the funding, and comes up with an ending for 4. I understand not ending it with 3, but 4's story should be close to treasure location.

He said he wanted to do the story in like 7 or 9 parts. If 4 was the end he would've actually progressed the story a bit instead of spinning his wheels for an entire game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
He said he wanted to do the story in like 7 or 9 parts. If 4 was the end he would've actually progressed the story a bit instead of spinning his wheels for an entire game.
He said ideally it would be 4-5 games. I think he wrote Shenmue 3's story for 3 towns, and then compressed the third town's story in the final level, because they ran out of money. I don't think he was spinning the wheels on purpose.

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
What about a Shenmue 4 would be unexpected? Wouldn't that be the most expected thing possible from that franchise?

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I can bear the repetition, the weird graphics, the horrible voice acting and writing in general.
But please, please just bring back the combat from 1+2, I mean seriously what is this shit in 3? This has to be one of the worst combat systems I ever experienced.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
They should be able to make Shenmue 4 for a reasonable cost and they still have money left to make with Shenmue 3 with the Steam & Xbox releases.

Shenmue 3 was flawed but I still enjoyed it. Building on the foundation they have should make Shenmue 4 a better game that costs less to make.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
A "fun kinda unexpected announcement" doesn't exactly sound like a sequel.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see Shenmue 4. Hope it happens within the next 5 years :)

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
What about a Shenmue 4 would be unexpected? Wouldn't that be the most expected thing possible from that franchise?
I had positive to mixed feelings about 3, but it got a trashing on the internet and no one but the fans bought it. Shenmue 4 being announced, despite that negativity, would be a nice suprise for those that want it.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be thankful if he did make a novel wrapping everything up. I dislike 3 and don't think they can fix the problems i had in 4. Luckely i still have the first 2 games to enjoy. Two is such a fantastic game that if you told me that 3 wasn't made by Yu Suzuki that i would believe you right away. That's how big the quality difference is.