• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_oyheqy7MuO1sr3k70o2_r1_1280.jpg

What is Shenmue?

Shenmue is a series that had its origins on the ill-fated Sega Dreamcast. It is beloved by fans for its innovative mechanics, complex storytelling, and highly unique sense of atmosphere. Shenmue follows the journey of a grief-stricken martial artist named Ryo Hazuki, a young man desperate to avenge his father's murder. His own life begins to unravel as he journeys into the seedy underbelly of the small Japanese port city that is his hometown. His adventure will ultimately lead him far from home as he pursues the murderous Lan Di and the mysterious artifacts that his adversary is willing to kill to acquire.
tumblr_oyheqy7MuO1sr3k70o5_r1_1280.jpg

Who made Shenmue?
The Shenmue series is the brainchild of the legendary Yu Suzuki, the mastermind behind many of SEGA's great games. Suzuki is widely regarded as one of the greatest of all Japanese game designers. He created classics like Outrun, Afterburner, Hang On, Space Harrier, and Virtua Fighter. Shenmue grew out of his fascination with Chinese martial arts and his desire to tell a deep story in a fully explicated world.
tumblr_oyheqy7MuO1sr3k70o1_1280.jpg

What became of Shenmue?
Shenmue was the showcase title for the Dreamcast, pushing the system to its limits and bringing with it numerous innovations. Unfortunately, the Dreamcast quickly fell on hard times, unable to compete with the Sony's Playstation 2. The Shenmue series was the greatest victim of that misfortune. Shenmue 2 was released on the Dreamcast in Japan and Europe, but didn't make it to US consumers. It eventually limped its way to a US release on the Xbox, but by that time it was clear that the franchise was all but dead. Fans spent the the next 14 years hoping against hope that someday the story might continue.
tumblr_oyheqy7MuO1sr3k70o4_r1_1280.jpg

Shenmue Reborn!
The 2015 E3 brought the shocking return of Shenmue. Series creator Yu Suzuki took to the Sony stage to announce the Shenmue III was at long last in development and was funding on Kickstarter. Kickstarter crashed. NeoGAF crashed. The hearts of fans soared. It brought in over 6 million dollars in donations, becoming the most successful video game Kickstarter of all time.
tumblr_oyheqy7MuO1sr3k70o3_r1_1280.jpg

SUPPORT AND PRE-ORDER SHENMUE III HERE
Additional Links & Resources
Shenmue Dojo:
Website | Youtube Channel | Facebook | Twitter | Forums
#SaveShenmue Campaign: Team Yu | Shenmue 500k | Shenmue Fans
Shenmue Master: Website | Facebook

Last edited:

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, let's continue our road towards Shenmue 3 together:

"Keep friends, those you love, close to you"

Umgawa

Oct 25, 2017
Slowly making my way through another play-through of Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast. It gets better every time.. except those god damn boxes.

OP
OP
Erevador

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
If we don't get any HD announcement this year I'll do a Christmas time replay of 1 (and maybe 2). Sick of waiting now.
I know what you mean. Had an amazing playthrough of 1 awhile back, but I've been holding back on my playthrough of 2 in hopes of a remaster release. It keeps feeling like it could be just around the corner.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It would be a typical thing if I started and got to Disc 3 and then they announce the HD remaster randomly. Yeah it keeps feeling like it could be announced whenever put of the blue or just...never happen at all.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely recommend just playing them. I played 2 recently and had such a good time. If your PC is decent enough there's some great things with emulation now (as I'm sure you're already aware). I'd love to see a remaster but much like Shenmue 3, I won't believe anything until I see it.

OP
OP
Erevador

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted to find a real world Hang On machine with the bike. Has anyone here played that version in an arcade?
tumblr_oxy2b6ZRkW1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Oct 25, 2017
When I went to pick up a Sega Rally machine a few years ago, the seller had the original Hang-On machine, and it looked in amazing condition considering it's age.
What shocked me though was that he paid £30 for it.

30-bloody-quid for this beast. Utter madness!
17e8a7b6fd0099b146910921c94843c9--plastic-cabinets.jpg

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
So... do we think Shenmue HD might be announced at Paris Games Week or PSX? Could be a natural fit for Gio Corsi's stage time, right next to the Yakuza Kiwami 2 localization announcement I'm sure will come.

OP
OP
Erevador

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
When I went to pick up a Sega Rally machine a few years ago, the seller had the original Hang-On machine, and it looked in amazing condition considering it's age.
What shocked me though was that he paid £30 for it.

30-bloody-quid for this beast. Utter madness!
17e8a7b6fd0099b146910921c94843c9--plastic-cabinets.jpg
Damn, that thing is a beauty.
I did! Love the unmistakable music coming from that thing. Used to have one at a theme park near me long before I played Shenmue. Good times.
Awesome. It's gotta be one the most attractive arcade machines of all time.
So... do we think Shenmue HD might be announced at Paris Games Week or PSX? Could be a natural fit for Gio Corsi's stage time, right next to the Yakuza Kiwami 2 localization announcement I'm sure will come.
It would definitely make sense as a Gio Corsi PSX announcement since that's where he's announced several Yakuza games from SEGA. It would make sense in that slot.

OP
OP
Erevador

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
It's great seeing so much activity in this thread already! Seems like the new forum has really re-awakened passions and brought Shenmue fans back together. Loving all the enthusiasm.

tumblr_oesair6X3O1rm3vqno1_400.gif

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Goro.png

Looking forward to sharing Shenmue sentiments and future hype with all of you.

If we don't get any HD announcement this year I'll do a Christmas time replay of 1 (and maybe 2). Sick of waiting now.

I've been waiting too. Not played either game for years, but I'm itching to re-play with all that's happened over the past couple of years, and with III supposed to be coming out next year.

I'm hoping it's PSX with Gio, just on the off-chance he takes a Vita out of his pocket and it has Shenmue running on it!

C6UpGiO.png

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
It's good to be home.

Except now I think I have to fix my av, cause it looks really terrible on here for some reason.

OP
OP
Erevador

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
I want HD remakes of 1 & 2 so bad. I don't have any way to play them anymore.
It's rough, especially for people in the US who need BOTH a Dreamcast and an Xbox to play both games.

One of the best parts (for me) about having a proper remaster would be having BOTH games on the same console for the first time. Shenmue has never had a fair shot in part because it was launched on doomed hardware (Dreamcast) and continued on another machine (Xbox). Having it on PS4 would be amazing, finally the whole franchise would be on the leading console of a generation, available to everyone who'd always heard about it but been unable to check it out. A PC release would also be great, since the PC is an "evergreen" platform and lends itself to moddability and proper preservation.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I would love a 1 & 2 HD remaster to play through them again, now we have 3 coming and it would give more people a chance to play these classic games.

I backed 3 on Kickstarter, so for obvious reasons I'm really looking forward to it finally coming out.

OP
OP
Erevador

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
Artist Joe Klander has been doing a fun "Inktober" project centering around the Shenmue series. The results are pretty delightful, memorializing various memorable moments from the series, including the conversation that inspired the title for this OT.

tumblr_oyhblemVUX1sr3k70o1_400.jpg

You can see the rest of his pieceshere.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Just posting to make sure this Shenmue III Bro Edition I made during the Kickstarter gets on the first page of ShenmueERA.

Cy00EOk.png

The Shenmue III Kickstarter was some fun times. Followed that thread all day every day.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I don't really have anything to say, just that Shenmue 1+2 are easily among the greatest games ever made and if there's a community thread then I'm duty-bound to poke my head in and mutter something.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Artist Joe Klander has been doing a fun "Inktober" project centering around the Shenmue series. The results are pretty delightful, memorializing various memorable moments from the series, including the conversation that inspired the title for this OT.

tumblr_oyhblemVUX1sr3k70o1_400.jpg

You can see the rest of his pieceshere.
It's impossible to see these without hearing the voices and music.
Great stuff!

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd definitely recommend just playing them. I played 2 recently and had such a good time. If your PC is decent enough there's some great things with emulation now (as I'm sure you're already aware). I'd love to see a remaster but much like Shenmue 3, I won't believe anything until I see it.

Would replaying the game really be such a tragedy?

Yeah, no you are both right, I'll probably just submit and play them again anyway. My favourite games of all time and all. Can't resist much longer.

I've been waiting too. Not played either game for years, but I'm itching to re-play with all that's happened over the past couple of years, and with III supposed to be coming out next year.

I'm hoping it's PSX with Gio, just on the off-chance he takes a Vita out of his pocket and it has Shenmue running on it!

C6UpGiO.png

Man, a Vita port would be amazing. Shame that will never happen. At least if the HD remasters do happen I will just play it off Remote Play in the house. The games would look great on the Vita, I reckon.

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
Confession time - do you recall that crappy hotel you stayed at in Shenmue 2? Well, I owed him money but then the story progressed and Ryo got a new place to stay (the temple, I think)

I always found it fun that I engaged in skipping out on a rent in a game. Blew my mind at the time. Poor schmuck must be still waiting for his money.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Confession time - do you recall that crappy hotel you stayed at in Shenmue 2? Well, I owed him money but then the story progressed and Ryo got a new place to stay (the temple, I think)

I always found it fun that I engaged in skipping out on a rent in a game. Blew my mind at the time. Poor schmuck must be still waiting for his money.

Haha, same. Would love it if in Shenmue 3, Ryo hears that Lan Di has ran off to this hotel to hide out and after Ryo pursues him all of the way back there then the hotel owner comes out angrily "Oyyyy! You owe me 1 billion HKD, you prick! Where's my damn money?" and Lan Di is watching from his hotel room in the back laughing. Yu Suzuki was thinking about all of this so far in advance.

OP
OP
Erevador

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
Confession time - I gave Nozomi the photo of us standing apart in my first ever play through. Still feel bad.
That's one of those special, archetypally Shenmue moments. It's very subtle, and very sad, like the whole Nozomi/Ryo arc is. Their relationship is one of the best parts of Shenmue I.
tumblr_ne29eytZaJ1qesidao1_500.jpg

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
My girlfriend watched all of the Giant Bomb Endurance Run and just said to me "Jesus, what a stupid game" it simultaneously broke my heart and made me laugh.