• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Games that should of remained in their time!!! With that being said, my cousin and I best the first game on Dreamcast in 3 days, we played that game to the ground!!!

I played about 2 hours of Shenmue 2 on the original xbox and didnt care much about the sequel. I'm glad the stories going to get wrapped up, but a lot of what made the game unique are antiqued elements nowadays that will anger a lot of gamers.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alternate (and better) what's shenmue trailer:

Straight from 1999.

This is still one of the most hype trailers ever:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Big part of me wishes Kiwami 2 and this didn't release within the same month. Definitely gonna get to it later in the year.

Jan 2, 2018
This and Yakuza 0 in the same month,always wanted to play both series,never had the chance until now and I already got Yakuza 0 on PC ready. August is such a beast.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Shenmue is dumb as shit and it's great because of that. It's an extremely corny story about a young man who sets out on a path of revenge despite nearly every person in his life telling him that his plan to fight Lan Di is a terrible idea. Because of all this, I hope Shenmue III is also stupid as fuck.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alternate (and better) what's shenmue trailer:

Straight from 1999.

This is still one of the most hype trailers ever:

A lot better than the new one. Also I love the Shenmue 2 trailer with the arm wrestling music but I can't find it.

Hate the xbox's water effect though

Cambot

Oct 27, 2017
I played these games in 2007 at the age of 29 and loved every minute of them. If the new game looked as bad as these looked, I'd be just fine with that (it won't).

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
Just preordered it on Steam. Can't wait to meet sailors again

Also the first thing came into mind reading the title

whatsshenmue-7-600x400.jpg

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
I own both Dreamcast games and preordered PC remaster. Now it's time to port Segagaga to PC, SEGA!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The story look good....20 year ago, now it's pretty laughably bad.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
played them back in the day on Dreamcast and can't wait to relieve the story, specially Shenmue 2 since I only played it once.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they have nothing in common, but will I (probably) enjoy Shenmue if I love Yakuza?

Not necessarily. They're very different. Shenmue is more like an Adventure game. You're mostly walking around talking to people and exploring the environment. There's very little action, and in the case of the first game the vast majority of that action is towards the end.

I love the games (I've got the collection pre-ordered on both xbox and PS4), but they're definitely not for everybody.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Man, now I hope "What is Shenmue?" will be part of the collection releasing soon. Nothing like seeing the head of Sega prophetically sweat about not being able to sell a wall of dreamcast while breaking the 4th wall.
I would really hope they add the in between comics for good measure that outline ryo's boat ride also.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The story look good....20 year ago, now it's pretty laughably bad.
Voice acting, I'd agree, and it wasn't considered very good back then, Shenmue's story, the opening, is low on stakes and a lot of set up, Shenmue 2's is great, the momentum really grows after meeting the Heavens gang. The beautiful yet somewhat depressing portayal China still feels unique.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I love Shenmue music so much. Now I'm totally in the mood to play both games again after watching that.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

sproglobber

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wollongong, Australia
This is worth watching (contains spoilers).

It goes into shenmue's virtual fighter rpg roots, compares the fighting styles of characters from both franchises.

Contains spoilers