• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Seriously eating all the pears in my inventory didn't even restore my full health/stamina? Seriously now what is this garbage? Games gonna be borderline unplayable in no time flat.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
In the beginning when both walk to the village it felt quite awkward when they changed from walking to standing still a few times to talk to each other. The devs probably wanted the talking to feel more dynamic this way but to me it didn't. No big deal though.

Going back to Shenhua's house by night the scenery looked quite beautiful. Being able to inspect Shenhua's house so thoroughly brings back memories and makes me feel quite at home.

From the little i played i think i will love it. I like the slow pace just like in Shenmue 1, which is my favorite of the past two games. I also think the game is looking nice. Yeah, i like the game so far.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Aww man, can you share me Wallpaper E, I wanna rock it so bad on my laptop. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

KiObtE1.jpg

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
All my codes unlocked.

DLC ID05:

Kickstarter & Slacker Backer Rewards:

- International phone card to unlock phone conversations and flashback scenes available only to Backers.

- Backer exclusive Skin & Arcane Technique Scroll 'Two-Wheeled Fist'

- Capsule Toy Tickets & Advanced Technique Scroll 'Chained Fist'

- Receive a 'Ryo', 'Shenhua', 'Chai', or 'Forklift' capsule toy randomly, as well as the full set of four.

---

Still waiting on my in-game black jacket.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Can you guys indulge me for a second while I just remark on how happy I am. Actually, more relieved than anything else. I was anxious all day to make sure I was home when the package arrived. I really felt like I was a stupid kid all over again. I didn't expect the box to be so nice, yet another thing that I'll be saving.

Pics just because I'm giddy with excitement. After this I'm going back to media blackout.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
That can't be right, it's clearly 60fps for me.

I played the demo using Phantom service at 4K at 60FPS, playing on Pro definitely felt slower. Unfortunately I don't subscribe to service anymore so I can't compare. Watching the Digital Foundry preview and switching back to my Bailu on Pro and it's not nearly as smooth when panning camera around Ryo. Perhaps an uncapped frame-rate, other Pro owners on Shenmuedojo also reported to it being at 30FPS.

I guess we will have to wait until DF analysis for definitive answer as the publisher supposedly didn't confirm 60FPS to staff at Dojo a month ago and it doesn't feel like it to my eyes.

Edit: For some reason time stamp isn't working but look at 12min and 10 second mark of the video I linked.

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Seriously eating all the pears in my inventory didn't even restore my full health/stamina? Seriously now what is this garbage? Games gonna be borderline unplayable in no time flat.

Are you looking at the refill numbers in the menu on the right? Took me ages to realise that some fruit/veg restore up to like 300HP so I picked a bunch of flowers, chopped a bunch of wood, and went ham on the garlic and something else I'm forgetting, so topping up isn't much of a problem for me. I'm also not sprinting everywhere either, but in spots here and there.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I played the demo using Phantom service at 4K at 60FPS, playing on Pro definitely felt slower. Unfortunately I don't subscribe to service anymore so I can't compare. Watching the Digital Foundry preview and switching back to my Bailu on Pro and it's not nearly as smooth when panning camera around Ryo. Other Pro owners on Shenmuedojo also reported to it being st 30FPS.

I guess we will have to wait until DF analysis for definitive answer as the publisher supposedly didn't confirm 60FPS to staff at Dojo a month ago and it doesn't feel like it to my eyes.
Yeah, I see. That's bizarre then, because it's defo not capped at 30fps for me unless I've hacked into something by accident.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I played the demo using Phantom service at 4K at 60FPS, playing on Pro definitely felt slower. Unfortunately I don't subscribe to service anymore so I can't compare. Watching the Digital Foundry preview and switching back to my Bailu on Pro and it's not nearly as smooth when panning camera around Ryo. Perhaps an uncapped framerate? Other Pro owners on Shenmuedojo also reported to it being st 30FPS.

It's definitely uncapped. I put 7 hours into it today on my Pro and it fluctuates up and down.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Are you looking at the refill numbers in the menu on the right? Took me ages to realise that some fruit/veg restore up to like 300HP so I picked a bunch of flowers, chopped a bunch of wood, and went ham on the garlic and something else I'm forgetting, so topping up isn't much of a problem for me. I'm also not sprinting everywhere either, but in spots here and there.
I tried the wood chopping thing once an would be thrilled to never have to do it again. Didn't look at the food values because being at the very start of the game I'd had thought the things ya start with would be decent sufficient for some time. Whoops! I intend to never not be running around cause walking is not fun and a waste of time! Also basically spent all my money on tokens which I can't seem to redeem for prizes anywhere (so far?) so buying foods out. Guess I kinda softlocked myself unless I wanna suffer wood chopping/harvesting. Yuck.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Yeah, I see. That's bizarre then, because it's defo not capped at 30fps for me unless I've hacked into something by accident.

It's definitely uncapped. I put 7 hours into it today on my Pro and it fluctuates up and down.

Thanks for feedback. I've been playing a lot of Gran Tursimo Sport and Uncharted 4 multiplayer prior to this, both titles confirmed to be 60FPS and Shenmue 3 didn't feel nearly as fluid. Looking at PC footage and running around Bailu comparing the two I think it must run at an uncapped framerate. Love more confirmation from other Pro owners.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I tried the wood chopping thing once an would be thrilled to never have to do it again. Didn't look at the food values because being at the very start of the game I'd had thought the things ya start with would be decent sufficient for some time. Whoops! I intend to never not be running around cause walking is not fun and a waste of time! Also basically spent all my money on tokens which I can't seem to redeem for prizes anywhere (so far?) so buying foods out. Guess I kinda softlocked myself unless I wanna suffer wood chopping/harvesting. Yuck.

Menial tasks are honestly part of Shenmue's bread and butter, and it looks like III is stepping it all up even more. I dread to think of how much time I spent levelling up my Kung-Fu today just by doing the two hit poles outside the martial arts dojo.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Once you have enough move scrolls I immediately went to Skill Book editor and started creating my own custom list under Manual Assign (M1-4) I usually reserved this for powerful attacks, typically that required 3-4 button combinations so I could pull those off every time with bumpers.

Don't forget to switch back to Automatic mode or have a manual list with new move scrolls purchased when sparing because once a move has been mastered even when sparing you will not improve XP for attack and overall kungfu level without new move scrolls.

Finally don't forget to look at Skill Books section and you will see move list for a lot of Ryo's combinations he learnt in the first two games. These can't be assigned to bumpers unfortunately but some of them are legitimately great offensive options such as Mud Spider, Twin Blades or Oblique Slam. Also remember double tapping left analogue stick left or right is to dodge and double tapping down gives you space. I would often close in and either dodge or pull back letting them start combo and counter attack. Lots of options available.

Thanks my man.

Can't wait to get home and play more.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
When you start the backer credits you're prompted for your backer code. I can't test it because the codes aren't out yet but presumably that highlights you or lets you skip to yourself.
Just to confirm this is how it works. If you enter your backer code you'll be able to skip to your name, which will be flashing and wiggling.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Menial tasks are honestly part of Shenmue's bread and butter, and it looks like III is stepping it all up even more. I dread to think of how much time I spent levelling up my Kung-Fu today just by doing the two hit poles outside the martial arts dojo.
The menial tasks are good when they're fun (forklift) and ass when not (crate carrying). Woodchopping falls into the latter category for me. Also that stuff was previously either part of the story or optional. Here you're expect to spend how much time chopping wood? Making how much money each time? Turning around and spending how much on food to fill your bar for what, minutes of running around? Over the course of an entire game? I'm pretty sure Shenmues bread & butter wasn't wasting enormous amounts of the players time! If nothing else "stamina" should just be not a thing on the Easy difficulty level. Not because it makes the game harder, just less painful and a waste of time.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Shoot not sure if my backer copy arrived or not, just hanging at work. Last I checked saturday it was expected monday. But checked tracking out ofo some curiosity to see "arrived", and now its expected tuesday. Despite being at my town's local post office 3am this morning.

Real roll of the dice, guess we'll see. Almost has me wanting to storm down to the post office after work and intersect it ha.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
The menial tasks are good when they're fun (forklift) and ass when not (crate carrying). Woodchopping falls into the latter category for me. Also that stuff was previously either part of the story or optional. Here you're expect to spend how much time chopping wood? Making how much money each time? Turning around and spending how much on food to fill your bar for what, minutes of running around? Over the course of an entire game? I'm pretty sure Shenmues bread & butter wasn't wasting enormous amounts of the players time! If nothing else "stamina" should just be not a thing on the Easy difficulty level. Not because it makes the game harder, just less painful and a waste of time.

I'm usually clearing around 40-60 cash-wise on the wood chopping, and it lasts only a minute so YMMV of course. I simply don't mind it at all and find it far less offensive than the forklift driving in Shenmue.

I also genuinely haven't felt that I HAVE to do the wood chopping. Between selling the herb sets for tons of cash, then buying a load of relevant veg, my gameplay loop for a while became: Wake up, do four or five in-game hours of martial arts/Kung Fu training, top up when necessary, then get on with whatever task I'm meant to before returning to Shenhua's house.

I'm playing in Recommended so can't speak to the other modes, but it's simply not an issue for me right now. If anything, it's currently just fitting into Yu's desire to make Shenmue be a game as much about the menial day-to-day minutiae as it is a grand, sweeping epic.

We already have to adhere to a daily timeframe, and be in bed at a respectable hour. Eating food during the day certainly doesn't feel at odds with that to me. And to be fair, I have already added four more endurance nodes to the ring through the aforementioned Kung Fu training so, again, it's just not an issue for me right now.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why that Switch icon thread exists now.

The PS4 home screen icon is ugly as all hell. They have the key art with Ryo & Shenhua in a cave which they have plastered everywhere else online - it would have been perfect. matches the others pretty well. But they go with this plain awful one? Baffling choice.

images

Looks so out of place next to the other 2, and it's really throwing me off. The game is here and I'm excited… but damn shame I have to look at that every time I boot up the game.

SheepheadCG

Feb 27, 2018
I've been playing around 13 hours now and have chopped wood twice. You don't need to do that if you don't like it, as there are plenty more things to do to earn money. I started off finding some herbs and sold a bunch for 450. From there, I haven't really needed to worry too much about money. You can trade in other goods, to get food, scrolls etc. So it's not all about the money. I'm playing on Challenge (second to hardest mode) and the stamina hasn't been much of an issue either. Just get a bit further into the game and I'm sure you will find something that you like.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing around 13 hours now and have chopped wood twice. You don't need to do that if you don't like it, as there are plenty more things to do to earn money. I started off finding some herbs and sold a bunch for 450. From there, I haven't really needed to worry too much about money. You can trade in other goods, to get food, scrolls etc. So it's not all about the money. I'm playing on Challenge (second to hardest mode) and the stamina hasn't been much of an issue either. Just get a bit further into the game and I'm sure you will find something that you like.

Regarding the herbs, I searched around the back of Shenhua's house (towards the cave) for a bunch and ended up selling everything I had at that point for over 1,200. It even popped a Trophy for me.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I just skimmed the art book PDF, and those NPCs are so good! Maybe some light spoilers in there, so if you want to go in completely fresh don't view it until you're done with the game.