Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
That's really bizarre. Definitely still pick up the original first though. Maybe you can get a BF deal on the physical version from Amazon or something.

I'm really glad they changed the title of Apocalypse from FINAL since "FINAL" sounds like an enhanced or special edition, which ironically Apocalypse started as an SMTIV DLC. Hopefully people know they are two completely different games though, I remember there was still confusion when Apocalypse's localization was announced.
I still see people confused about it till this very day. I remember someone asking fairly recently whether or not Apocalypse was just a definitive version of SMT IV. As tacky as it looks and sounds they should've just gone with something like IV-2 .

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Or they could just drop the IV and go with "SMT Apocalypse" (of course, that wouldn't work well with "Final").

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Final Chapter would have been a good choice. Apocalypse works with the tone of the game and the need to keep the anarchism symbolism, but it confuses everyone who doesn't follow SMT related news.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had no luck finding a copy of SMT IV during my Black Friday shopping trip :( Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for another sale. I'm content enough with getting the rest of the Ace Attorney series on the eShop.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
There's a BF Deal on the PSTV for $60 on Amazon. I'm thinking about jumping on it. I'm wanting to play P4G and do not have a Vita. Playing P2 Dualogy would be a plus too.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now that there's a new PS3 exploit and most people on latest firmware can install CFW, I jumped ahead and was excited about PS2 emulation, so I finally ripped my copy of Nocturne Maniax Chronicle, patched it and... It doesn't boot. Would love to know if anyone else is in the same situation, but there's no PS2 Hombrew OT and even if there were I'm not sure Chronicle would be a popular title among its members lol.

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
oh thats cool. is there a way to transfer saves? i imagine i would probably need homebrew on my ps2 too.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's possible! I've used saves I've found on the internet for my PS2 Classic games before, and I'm pretty sure it works the same with ones emulated. And yeah you need to start by getting homebrew on your PS2 or with Gameshark and Action Replay discs, I think? I remember using one of those years to extract stuff from my memory card to a USB stick.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
One thing that's struck me about IV is how many non-demon enemies there are (kind of like the original Persona games had zombies, etc that afaik could not become your companions).

Edit: Regarding SMT I, I didn't have too much trouble with it. I did play the PS1 version, which might not have as high of an encounter rate.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
There really isn't going to be a game like SMT: Nocturne ever again is there?
There's a chance V might be. It looks to have a Nocturne-y vibe from the trailer. But again that isn't much to go on.

It looked like there was Magatsuhi coming from the dead demons in the highway tunnel. The humans, while we didn't see their faces, reminded me of Nocturne characters with the colors of their clothing. It is more colorful in the train station scene, but then the post apocalyptic parts seem to have something closer to a Nocturne color palette.

I'm really excited for this game though. Even if it turns out more akin to SMTIV, it's still gonna be good.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There really isn't going to be a game like SMT: Nocturne ever again is there?
Not in a million years. Seriously, it's better to make peace with that fact.

I think there's potential in V to be good, but there's no way in hell anything in the series will ever be close to Nocturne. The people who made it great are simply not involved anymore.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
That's a bummer. The latest brand of SMT and related games are certainly providing the market with something interesting and unique... Nocturne was in a league of it's own though. I remember having debates with some dude in the official Atlus forums about the changing direction of the series after Persona 3. He claimed after Okada left the direction of the series would be very different and there would never be something like Nocturne again... I feel very stupid for arguing that now.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That's a bummer. The latest brand of SMT and related games are certainly providing the market with something interesting and unique... Nocturne was in a league of it's own though. I remember having debates with some dude in the official Atlus forums about the changing direction of the series after Persona 3. He claimed after Okada left the direction of the series would be very different and there would never be something like Nocturne again... I feel very stupid for arguing that now.

With Okada leaving Atlus, Hashino (Nocturne's original director) now making a new IP, Kazuma Kaneko (art director) handing over the reigns to Masayuki Doi as an artist, Isogai (Nocturne's writer) only seemingly working on Hashino games and Meguro handing the reigns over to Kodaka on the music side I really doubt it. If anything I predict SMTV will have elements from IV (since this was Yamai's SMT game) and elements from classic SMT and hopefully majorly be something fresh and new but not really be anything like Nocturne. In a way it's a good thing since I prefer the SMT series be more varied than just chase after SMT3. Makes SMT3 more unique that way. Strange Journey is another SMT game that's really unique that we'll never get again, imo.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Sounds like something I would say, heh.

You only have to watch the interview with Okada from Persona 2 to realize that he had a very distinct and intellectual outlook on stories and game design. The guy was also really into the occult, which I'm sure helped.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Sounds like something I would say, heh.

You only have to watch the interview with Okada from Persona 2 to realize that he had a very distinct and intellectual outlook on stories and game design. The guy was also really into the occult, which I'm sure helped.

The lack of these intense visionaries is half of it, plus we've both been in a market that doesn't really understand such "punk" mentalities or just expects lowbrow samey fanservice by default.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Lowbrow expectation for samey fanservice is pretty much where nerdy fiction is at across the board. It has stopped being about intense interest and started being about casually rolling around in enjoyable tropes and other forms of "meta." I don't think Japan is alone in this trend although the particular form there is well particular.

This is why it is so bad that the nerd popular culture has more or less ceased to be a way to explore and express interest and become an interest in itself.

Tbc, things can rise above general trends, of course.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
So I made it to the final Tartarus block in Persona 3. I am playing the PS3 PS2 Classics version...and man. I can't play this for very long sittings. The PS2 Classics versions of a lot of the Atlus games have an emulation issue where some colors/lighting cause things to flicker rapidly. In the 6th block of Tartarus, this affects ALL OF THE FUCKING WALLS.

I have made it to the second guardian, but I might have to play this in shorter sittings unfortunately. I'm glad I am not epileptic, as if I was that might ruin my playthrough of the game completely.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I made it to the final Tartarus block in Persona 3. I am playing the PS3 PS2 Classics version...and man. I can't play this for very long sittings. The PS2 Classics versions of a lot of the Atlus games have an emulation issue where some colors/lighting cause things to flicker rapidly. In the 6th block of Tartarus, this affects ALL OF THE FUCKING WALLS.

I have made it to the second guardian, but I might have to play this in shorter sittings unfortunately. I'm glad I am not epileptic, as if I was that might ruin my playthrough of the game completely.
I am epileptic and had to play the P3 FES endgame wearing sunglasses. I wish I was kidding.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The PS2 Classics versions of a lot of the Atlus games have an emulation issue where some colors/lighting cause things to flicker rapidly. In the 6th block of Tartarus, this affects ALL OF THE FUCKING WALLS.

wow and I was about to play it on PS3. Guess I'll have to boot up my PS2 instead then, only played P3P, it'll feel weird playing with male MC

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
So PSA regarding the PS2 Classic version of Persona 3 FES:

If you have the problem with the flickering walls and objects, delete and re-download the game. They patched the issue since you downloaded it. I downloaded it back in 2012, I deleted and re-downloaded it and it fixed the issue! No more flickering walls!

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, when my brother played P3FES earlier this year on the PS3 I didn't see any flickering walls at all. Game seemed to run perfectly fine, which I thought was weird since so many people have complained about that.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I really need V to be good to help me get over Apocalypse.
I feel like they wouldn't repeat Apocalypse's mistakes with V but now that I'm saying it I'm not sure I believe it. Obviously I'd still be there day one and I enjoy (most) of Apocalypse's gameplay, but if the cast is a sign of things to come for mainline, I dunno. I forgave it somewhat because if I put my Persona hat on I can quite enjoy some of those characters and they filled a hole while I waited for P5. But no more super friends and no more "master ^____^" stuff please.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Apocalypse is weird because it does that 'friendship is awesome!' thing yet at the same time it doesn't pull punches either. Although even those moments somehow miss nuance. When playing SMTIV, I appreciated the more subdued acts of horror and how you were allowed to form your own opinion on things without the game spelling out that 'killing people is bad, mkay' over and over.

That said, I have tons of fun playing it.

Just went to the Fairy Forest and met Nozomi yesterday. Gotta take care of some demon hogging the spring. Homeslice just went bananacakes, apparently.

I wonder what her VA thought when she read that line and knew she had to say it out loud at some point.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Apocalypse is weird because it does that 'friendship is awesome!' thing yet at the same time it doesn't pull punches either. Although even those moments somehow miss nuance. When playing SMTIV, I appreciated the more subdued acts of horror and how you were allowed to form your own opinion on things without the game spelling out that 'killing people is bad, mkay' over and over.

That said, I have tons of fun playing it.

Just went to the Fairy Forest and met Nozomi yesterday. Gotta take care of some demon hogging the spring. Homeslice just went bananacakes, apparently.

I wonder what her VA thought when she read that line and knew she had to say it out loud at some point.
Every time I heard her talk I kept expecting her to say things like "It's just a possibility." or "Sigma, you idiot."

She also voices Aigis.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Oh, if you've not seen some of the later interactions then you better steel yourself for them. I think Nozomi's voice actress does a pretty good job with some of the ridiculous dialogue she's given for the ridiculous character she's playing and I kind of stan. Hallelujah is fine enough too and Gaston is pretty fun. Cassandra Morris gets some extremely naff stuff to contend with though.

The gameplay is pretty great though. My only issue was some pretty dull boss rushes and some untranslated mid-battle dialogue that affected party/enemy buffs and debuffs.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Apocalypse was a great gameplay improvement from SMT, but the story was kinda meh with all the friends and anime stuff.

I prefer a dark story with characters like in SMT IV. I loved their personalities. Looked like they were taking the story more seriously.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, if you've not seen some of the later interactions then you better steel yourself for them. I think Nozomi's voice actress does a pretty good job with some of the ridiculous dialogue she's given for the ridiculous character she's playing and I kind of stan. Hallelujah is fine enough too and Gaston is pretty fun. Cassandra Morris gets some extremely naff stuff to contend with though.

The gameplay is pretty great though. My only issue was some pretty dull boss rushes and some untranslated mid-battle dialogue that affected party/enemy buffs and debuffs.
No I've seen the later game stuff, she definitely had some Phi moments.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Every time I heard her talk I kept expecting her to say things like "It's just a possibility." or "Sigma, you idiot."

She also voices Aigis.
Yeah, Karen Strassman, right? She's in a ton of Atlus games. It's odd because sometimes you can hear nothing but Aigis but other times you discover she voiced Nanako and you could not tell at all (at least I couldn't).

Kanji's mom and
Izanami
were obvious, though.

I wonder if Nozomi's dialogue was deliberate as a way to convey Tokyo's stagnant cultural development. Like the hip people reverted to 90's slang because that's the only way they could set themselves apart from the normal crowd.

But maybe I'm giving the localization too much credit here.

Cassandra Morris is Toki, right? I've already completed the game, so I know what awaits me. Honestly, I don't think that story bit would be so bad were it not for Toki's age (at least the protagonist is only one year older, even though it's still squickey on a meta-level) and the anime tropes it goes hand in hand with.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't know what a Phi moment is (but I am very intrigued), I was replying to ClearMetal.
I wonder if Nozomi's dialogue was deliberate as a way to convey Tokyo's stagnant cultural development. Like the hip people reverted to 90's slang because that's the only way they could set themselves apart from the normal crowd.

But maybe I'm giving the localization too much credit here.

Cassandra Morris is Toki, right? I've already completed the game, so I know what awaits me. Honestly, I don't think that story bit would be so bad were it not for Toki's age (at least the protagonist is only one year older, even though it's still squickey on a meta-level) and the anime tropes it goes hand in hand with.
I always read Nozomi as super dorky so it sort of works, but yes, we may be giving them too much credit with that.

Yeah, Morris voices Toki. I just don't like what they do with her at all. I think she has the esteemed distinction of now doing a really great job while voicing three characters I can't stand, none of it her fault. Poor Cassandra.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean you don't have to go the 'friendship is magic' route with Apocalypse. You can be an arsehole throughout, which is fun.

Edit: Phi is a character in two of the Zero Escape games, Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I've been meaning to try these, didn't they just get a collected re-release? I'll listen out.

And yeah, I'm tempted to replay Apocalypse to select the arsehole route.
999 and VLR are in Zero Escape: The Nonary Games. I know that's on Steam and PS4, and I think Vita as well.

Zero Time Dilemma is on Steam, Vita, 3DS, and PS4.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
999 and VLR got bundled up - they're the best ones! It was the Persona Community thread back at the old site that put me onto Zero Escape and Danganronpa, both are solid recommendations (although I haven't played V3 yet).

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
999 is one of the best games I've ever played. The ending is fenomenal and that's all I'll say about it. Do note that it's basically a visual novel with puzzles and that it requires a lot of text skipping, as you'll need to replay the game multiple times to really finish it. It's worth it, though.

I've been thinking about going for the Massacre route this time around in Apocalypse. I don't think I will, though. I still find it impossible to be a complete asshole to anyone in a video game, unless they somehow deserve it. I couldn't play full renegade in Mass Effect either, for example.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I still find it impossible to be a complete asshole to anyone in a video game, unless they somehow deserve it.
iDEQV4G.jpg
If I remember correctly, none of these options give any points anyway so it's safe (and correct) to choose.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Toki is weird, my reactions to the character through the game were pretty much "oh great, a clearly young looking girl in an anime game, what could possibly go wrong" - > "hold on, she's actually kind of cool? I can dig th- what? 'Master'?" - >" Oh god why, fuck off Atlus"

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Is the arsehole route of Apocalypse worth it? Kinda curious. Might play it just to see. I've heard that it actually ties in better with the final dungeon (which felt more like a post-game/DLC dungeon to me).

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to put a PSTV on my christmas list, as well as P4G. As soon as I heard that it lets you actually choose inherited fusion skills I was sold on that version. Playing P2 Duology will be nice too.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Toki is weird, my reactions to the character through the game were pretty much "oh great, a clearly young looking girl in an anime game, what could possibly go wrong" - > "hold on, she's actually kind of cool? I can dig th- what? 'Master'?" - >" Oh god why, fuck off Atlus"
It just went downhill from "Master" too tbh.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

To be fair she
wasn't herself.