HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Major spoilers if this is what it seems

(Taken from Reddit)

It seems a new demon was accidentally left in the background of the Vritra video. If this is what many people think it is, it is a major spoiler.

My first thought was Purple Mirror, which would have been really cool, but looking closer and watching the Vritra video slowed down zoomed in on that part, it's very much not Purple Mirror.

It looks like some kind of goddess form for Yoko. She is a saint just like Tao is after all. You can see what looks like Yoko on front of a semi-tramsparent hoop with spikes on either side of it and a red jewel/crown on the top. In the video, Yoko and the hoop are floating in sync.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Does anyone know what Soul Hackers 2 specific demons are left(not in SMT5V)?

Ardha, Doppelganger, Nemissa

Nemissa and Doppelganger are specific to SH2 so those won't be in. Sucks they don't use Doppelganger more though, I always think it's cool and it's pretty economic to make since it's just a model/portrait edit of the game's protagonist

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
Nemissa would be cool, not a demon but Ringo would be cool as well.

Ardha could be a new optional boss....

Doppelganger based on the main character would be cool.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Ardha, Doppelganger, Nemissa

Nemissa and Doppelganger are specific to SH2 so those won't be in. Sucks they don't use Doppelganger more though, I always think it's cool and it's pretty economic to make since it's just a model/portrait edit of the game's protagonist
I think Doppelganger is not off the table. Technically SH2 Doppelganger was partly a Kaneko demon. Kaneko's version of Doppelganger always had the lighting effect with the shadowed face with the white smile, and Ringo Doppelganger fit that. I would love to see Nahobino Doppelganger.

I agree Nemissa is 1000% off the table. Satan is possible though, and he was DLC in SH2

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Speaking of which, has Atlus mentioned if there will be any DLC for this release?

There is. Typical grinding junk and two DLC quests that get you exclusive demons

• DLC - Mitama Dance of Wealth - Increases the spawn rate of "Saki Mitama," demons that drop items that can be sold for Macca.
  • DLC - Mitama Dance of EXP - Increases the spawn rate of "Kushi Mitama," demons that drop items that give the protagonist EXP, and "Ara Mitama," demons that drop items that give ally demons EXP.
  • DLC - Mitama Dance of Miracles - Increases the spawn rate of "Nigi Mitama," demons that drop items that give the protagonist Glory, points needed to learn new Miracles.
  • Demon Subquest - Sakura Cinders of the East - Additional content that will grant access to the subquest "Sakura Cinders of the East".
    In this quest, players will be able to take on "Konohana Sakuya", and even recruit her should they prove victorious.
  • Demon Subquest - Holy Will and Profane Dissent - Additional content that will grant access to the subquest "Holy Will and Profane Dissent".
    In this quest, players will be able to take on "Dagda", and even recruit him should they prove victorious.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I already spent $70 on the original release like a fucking rube. Not gonna make that mistake again for Dagda's edgelord ass

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/vnyR8zlRLps?si=qDt5_Q_-Xowp7LQS

Today's demon is Femme Cleopatra! She only appeared in two games made by Atlus making Vengeance her third. She was DLC in both SMTIV: Apocalypse and the original SMTV. Her and her quest are in Vengeance out of the box, no additional purchase necessary.

In IV: Apocalypse, she (and the hordes you fought before her) could inflict a condition that can't be cured by any skill: it prevents healing. I don't know if SMTV had this or not as I didn't buy the Cleo DLC. However I feel like they're was a missed opportunity here: they should have made a special skill that cures it and called it...CleoPATRA! Ehhhhhh?

Her unique skill, Frolic certainly has an uh... Interesting animation alright. Honestly it makes me think of Bayonetta (even though sexy dancing is nothing new or exclusive to Bayonetta). They should have committed to making it a Bayo reference and have her dance and then her snakes flow into the ground and rise up under the enemies.

Tomorrow's demon is Jirae Gogmagog!

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
Yeah, but the fact you can turn it on/off is what I like. Though who knows how common Mitama are compared to regular SMT5.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
The worst part about the mitama DLC is that it felt all the more insulting when you hit area 4 and there's a 20 level jump or so to the next bosses. Hopefully with the tweaks to damage scaling you can figure out ways to kill strong demons easier and get a lot of experience to level up faster, because in the original you ended up having to progressively grind stronger and stronger demons following a roughly fixed path and/or grind out all the sidequests for rewards. There were certain level range skips you could manage in the OG but being 10 levels below a demon iirc meant you ended up dealing like 10% of what you'd deal at equal levels which felt awful.

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
How does area 4 being 20 levels higher make the Mitama DLC insulting? If anything that is a problem with the area.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get the Mitama DLC (because I'm not quite that easy a mark) but one of the biggest problems with SMTV in general is how drastically level scaling worked. So walking into a new area only to find everything is vastly higher leveled than you was kind of a slap to the face lol. To say nothing of (endgame) Shiva being the highest level thing in the base-game and mandatory for the best ending. If you wanted to tackle him on your first run you had to grind a lot.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Initially I wasn't super impressed by the decision to make tougher enemies easier to defeat - on Normal difficulty, I found that most enemies including bosses had a very clear pattern to their attacks. Once you were at the right level and had the right Resist/Null/Drain/Repel affinities, that was kind of it. Surt's boss fight was one of the more glaring examples.

After reading the feedback in the thread about the leveling DLC (which I didn't get either), I'm actually coming around to them looking to include more ways to defeat enemies while weaker. This could allow for a much needed wider range of strategies and would solve what was probably my biggest issue with a battle system I otherwise really liked.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY5vmFtxs8A

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXqyooLw_5U

Today's demon is Jirae Gogmagog! His first appearance was Devil Summoner, and surprisingly with the same color palette we know today. He had also had one 3D appearance in an Atlus-made game, and that was Nocturne, so this is his first Atlus-made 3D game in 21 years. He did appear in IMAGINE and Dx2. He appeared in a handful of 2D games since Devil Summoner though.

You might notice in the trailer that he's absolutely massive as a punishing foe, seemingly with a unique effect of forming a gravity well around himself to try to pull Nahobino in. When talking to him at a demon haunt, he looks only twice as tall as Nahobnio. This was the effect I discussed earlier in this thread, where they often make the bosses larger than just having the demon normally to make them look more imposing.

I don't always highlight Devil Children stuff, but his design in Devil Children is interesting because it's pretty similar to the Kaneko version.

latest

Other than that, there have been no other designs for Gogmagog.

Tomorrow's demon is Fiend White Rider!

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Demi-Fiend + Fiends DLC really stood out to me in the original, so I do not regret picking that one up at all. I think it fit very well into the rest of the game and fighting Demi-Fiend was satisfying. I'm glad to see it in the base game in Vengeance.

I didn't pick up Cleo, Artemis, or Mephisto though, so it will be my first time experiencing those.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the vanilla version is going to be delisted.

www.gematsu.com

Shin Megami Tensei V and all DLC to be delisted on June 13

ATLUS will delist Shin Megami Tensei V and all of its downloadable content from Nintendo eShop on June 13, just ahead of the release of Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance, the company announced.
Yep, there was an other thread about it here on Era. It's for the best. Vengeance contains everything it has, and delisting the original V will prevent customers from getting confused when Vengeance comes out. I know it will be a common question of what the difference is, and I think not having the original available when Vengeance is a straight upgrade will help with that.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
So it seems Nintendo is publishing the game again, I was surprised when I saw earlier that Vengeance is included in the voucher program.

Ann Rule

Dec 7, 2022
There is. Typical grinding junk and two DLC quests that get you exclusive demons

• DLC - Mitama Dance of Wealth - Increases the spawn rate of "Saki Mitama," demons that drop items that can be sold for Macca.
  • DLC - Mitama Dance of EXP - Increases the spawn rate of "Kushi Mitama," demons that drop items that give the protagonist EXP, and "Ara Mitama," demons that drop items that give ally demons EXP.
  • DLC - Mitama Dance of Miracles - Increases the spawn rate of "Nigi Mitama," demons that drop items that give the protagonist Glory, points needed to learn new Miracles.
  • Demon Subquest - Sakura Cinders of the East - Additional content that will grant access to the subquest "Sakura Cinders of the East".
    In this quest, players will be able to take on "Konohana Sakuya", and even recruit her should they prove victorious.
  • Demon Subquest - Holy Will and Profane Dissent - Additional content that will grant access to the subquest "Holy Will and Profane Dissent".
    In this quest, players will be able to take on "Dagda", and even recruit him should they prove victorious.
Dagda and Sakura dlc comes with the game iirc

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020

certainly not in North America

Not in Europe too. I think you had a fever dream lol
I have just checked it and it is not available with vouchers anymore. But I can swear to god I saw it on the voucher list. In fact I was very surprised to see it there, and was planning to buy vouchers just for this and Paper Mario since I saw it. I don't know, maybe was some kind of overlapping due to the first game being also available with vouchers, but I'm 100% sure it was there.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I know I probably won't be awake during the entire 6-hour stream, but I'll probably watch some and see a highlight reel later. I don't want to watch the entire 6 hours, but I do want to see what the experience like: How much talking there is vs how much running around in Da'at.

Dagda and Sakura dlc comes with the game iirc
They don't. The DLC from the original comes with the game. Mitama, Dagda, and Konohaha Sakuya are all paid.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlP-w8vUGkM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugrRKmZHnaM

Today's demon is Fiend White Rider! His first appearance in the entire franchise was actually Nocturne. I was a little surprised by this too. I thought maybe he was in one of the PlayStation versions of SMT I, II, or if...

He appeared in many games since then, both 2D and 3D. What's sticks out to me on his list of appearances is he's been in only ONE Devil Summoner game: Raidou 2. I was surprised he wasn't even in Soul Hackers 2. I expected surely they would reuse him there.

Of course like the other Fiends, his most well know role is being one of the Fiends in Nocturne. You fight for his Menorah that you need to complete the Labyrinth of Amala. He was part of the Fiend DLC in the original SMTV, but in Vengeance that's baked into the game.

I haven't discussed this much for the other Fiends so far, but he and other Fiends have had a similar mechanic in other games. SMTIV for instance, you can encounter Fiends at certain locations, but it's only a 1/256 chance, which can make the Fiends a pain to hunt down. Speaking of SMTIV Fiends, I really wish we could get Chemtrail back some day, but it's probably never happening.

Tomorrow's demon is Snake Vouivre!

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
I don't want them to reveal more story stuff though do want to know more quality of life changes, game mechanics, etc.

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
Yeah I know about that video. They told us 50 quality of life changes and they also said there more they haven't told us about.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we're gonna get much more wrt QoL changes/system updates between now and the release, except for incidental stuff you might see in gameplay footage. We'll have to discover the new changes.... together, when Shin Megami Tensei W launches on June 14.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
Something I'm curious about is if the Goddess Tao will be labelled as a guest party member. I loved her design in the original so I gave her a bunch of balms to increase her stats and gave her really good abilities... only for her to fuck off before the final boss lmao

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Something I'm curious about is if the Goddess Tao will be labelled as a guest party member. I loved her design in the original so I gave her a bunch of balms to increase her stats and gave her really good abilities... only for her to fuck off before the final boss lmao
I assume so, she basically was that in the original without the concept applying to any other character in the game.

It has been shown that you'll be able to "unsummon" guests and they will show up in your stock.