HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zphOtD5JvkE

A thing they mention here is that Abscesses no longer cloud the map, and instead you reveal the map by exploring it. In that case...what's the point of Abscesses now? Is it that all the chests and Amalgam icons are hidden still and killing the Abscess reveals those?

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
I am just glad I will get to finally play this on my PS4.....to bad the one system I have is the only one not getting a physical release.

Anyone remember some weeks ago when they were taking questions for a interview with the people working on the game? Have they done anything with that yet?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I am just glad I will get to finally play this on my PS4.....to bad the one system I have is the only one not getting a physical release.

Anyone remember some weeks ago when they were taking questions for a interview with the people working on the game? Have they done anything with that yet?
I haven't heard of anything being done with that. I was wondering where that was too.

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
Well at least I didn't somehow miss it. Though it has been a month, how many questions could they have gotten to sort through.

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
Looks like we are getting a live stream for the game on May 9. So that answers my question.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we are getting a live stream for the game on May 9. So that answers my question.
I saw this show up on my YouTube feed, looks like it's at 7:30pm CST, so during waking hours of most Americans at least!

I hope they do an English translated version like they did with the Metaphor stream a few weeks ago.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/I9-bmY4uIvQ&autoplay=1&rel=0

Looks like one of the official YT accounts messed up and uploaded the next batch of demons early, including a brand new one Nyami Nyami

I'll do blurbs on them when their days come, but glad we already got the answer on Nyami Nyami!

It's cool to get more African demons. Assuming that mystery demon in the promotional art is actually Ananci, then that would make two new African demons in this game. I LOVE that animation for Nyami Nyami's unique skill.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n53daMg6pLQ

Today's demon is Fairy Jack-o'-Lantern! You would harder pressed to find games he is NOT in. Prior to Persona 5, his name was localized as "Pyro Jack". My guess is the reasoning for this was simply the fact that Jack-o'-Lantern would break character limits. I know there's various opinions on the community if they prefer Pyro Jack or Jack-o'-Lantern. I fall into the latter camp. I remember playing Persona 5 (the first game he was called Jack-o'-Lantern) and my wife saw it and said "That's a Jack-o'-Lantern" and I said "no he's actually called Pyro Jack". Remember Persona 5 doesn't reveal the actual names for Shadows until you get them as a Persona, so in his case he shows up as "Crypt-dwelling Pyromaniac", and then I was surprised to see that I was quite wrong and they finally called him "Jack-o'-Lantern". Oddly enough, his shadow name in P5R was changed to "Inviting Pyromaniac".

You probably remember him as one of the follower demons that would find treasure for you in the original SMTV. It looks like he might have that role again here too, as you see him walking with you in the scene where the group of humans goes into the Fairy Village. He's had various roles in other games, so I'll bring up just two more here. In Digital Devil Saga 1, the "HipHop Brothers" are encountered in Coordinate 136, talking to you in sick rhymes. Then they turn into Jack Frost and Jack-o'-Lantern and you have to fight them:

8-DDS009.jpg

Of course I'm not going to go without mentioning one of his most notable roles: Jack Bros! He's one of the playable characters alongside his brothers Jack Frost and Jack the Ripper (really wish he would show up in a 3D game). Oddly enough, Jack-o'-Lantern here is still "Jack Lantern", even in the English localization!

Tomorrow's demon is none other than his brother, Jack Frost! Hee Ho!

Given the video Sega accidentally posted of Jack Frost, Nozuchi, and Nyami Nyami, it seems tomorrow will be Jack Frost, Thursday will be Nozuchi, and Friday will be Nyami Nyami.

Nuami Nyami......well that is a new one to me.

Yep, it's the answer to the mystery below!

Stole this from Reddit, but apparently at the demo event for the public in Japan, Atlus posted a photo from it on Twitter and a new question has come up. Who is this mystery demon (the one underlined in red)?

6te8hb1bz6yc1.png

My guess is Mizuchi, but trying to go back to the SMTII design with a different pose.

latest

He was in Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga with this design:

latest
latest

I would think they go for something a little less simplistic for Vengeance if this is who it is. I had flipped through my Kaneko Works books from the Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers era, and this was the closest answer I came up with. If it's not Mizuchi, then it's probably something new I think.

Dirigibleduck

Jul 27, 2023

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n53daMg6pLQ

Today's demon is Fairy Jack-o'-Lantern! You would harder pressed to find games he is NOT in. Prior to Persona 5, his name was localized as "Pyro Jack". My guess is the reasoning for this was simply the fact that Jack-o'-Lantern would break character limits. I know there's various opinions on the community if they prefer Pyro Jack or Jack-o'-Lantern. I fall into the latter camp. I remember playing Persona 5 (the first game he was called Jack-o'-Lantern) and my wife saw it and said "That's a Jack-o'-Lantern" and I said "no he's actually called Pyro Jack". Remember Persona 5 doesn't reveal the actual names for Shadows until you get them as a Persona, so in his case he shows up as "Crypt-dwelling Pyromaniac", and then I was surprised to see that I was quite wrong and they finally called him "Jack-o'-Lantern". Oddly enough, his shadow name in P5R was changed to "Inviting Pyromaniac".

You probably remember him as one of the follower demons that would find treasure for you in the original SMTV. It looks like he might have that role again here too, as you see him walking with you in the scene where the group of humans goes into the Fairy Village. He's had various roles in other games, so I'll bring up just two more here. In Digital Devil Saga 1, the "HipHop Brothers" are encountered in Coordinate 136, talking to you in sick rhymes. Then they turn into Jack Frost and Jack-o'-Lantern and you have to fight them:

8-DDS009.jpg

Of course I'm not going to go without mentioning one of his most notable roles: Jack Bros! He's one of the playable characters alongside his brothers Jack Frost and Jack the Ripper (really wish he would show up in a 3D game). Oddly enough, Jack-o'-Lantern here is still "Jack Lantern", even in the English localization!

Tomorrow's demon is none other than his brother, Jack Frost! Hee Ho!

I'm hoping you'll mention the limited-time, Japan-only free metroidvania game starring the Jack Bros, SMT Synchronicity Prologue. It was a promotional tie-in for Strange Journey Redux and was a free PC download (despite SJR launching on the 3DS). And it was only downloadable for a limited time. Most interestingly, it was developed by Team Ladybug (makers of Touhou Lunar Nights and Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth). It was a rather short metroidvania game set in Antarctica (same as SJR) and has the player hot-swap between playing as Jack Frost (who walks and shoots ice with Bufu) and Pyro Jack (who floats and shoots fire with Agi). It's a fun little novelty game that's worth checking out if you can track it down.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping you'll mention the limited-time, Japan-only free metroidvania game starring the Jack Bros, SMT Synchronicity Prologue. It was a promotional tie-in for Strange Journey Redux and was a free PC download (despite SJR launching on the 3DS). And it was only downloadable for a limited time. Most interestingly, it was developed by Team Ladybug (makers of Touhou Lunar Nights and Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth). It was a rather short metroidvania game set in Antarctica (same as SJR) and has the player hot-swap between playing as Jack Frost (who walks and shoots ice with Bufu) and Pyro Jack (who floats and shoots fire with Agi). It's a fun little novelty game that's worth checking out if you can track it down.
Of course! That game was such a banger! Still available pretty easily today:

This is already patched in English. It was wild that this game got it's translation patch in something like less than 24 hours.

Dirigibleduck

Jul 27, 2023

Dirigibleduck

Jul 27, 2023
I hope this game turns out to be a Real Shin Megami Tensei Game (tm). I've been told I need to play one of those.

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017
Any of the early impression videos discuss performance on the steam deck? I'll probably buy a steam deck if it can do locked 60.

Last edited:

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I originally thought I'd play for a week, then switch to Shadow of the Erdtree. But I think I might take this all the way through first. These vids are always fun

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
Once I get this game I will not be playing anything for a while. Since I never played the game before, I will start with the original version of the game. Hopefully new game plus will let you switch between the different routes.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Once I get this game I will not be playing anything for a while. Since I never played the game before, I will start with the original version of the game. Hopefully new game plus will let you switch between the different routes.
I really, really would advise against it. The new route is going to have you going through all the same locations anyway. There's no upside to it, only downside.

Vamer

May 7, 2024
I am unbelievably hyped for this game... Don't think it's gonna dethrone Nocturne, but I expect it to sit comfortably in my all-time top 10.

Jun 24, 2019
No, I want to experience the original game first and I don't care about the story issues.
Up to you, but you would get the original experience via creation route in Vengeance.

Original game had some gameplay downsides such as level gating and lack of dungeons. Vengeance is said to have rectified these areas and introduce new game machanics.

- new demons
- demon interactions
- new environmental interactions
- playable human companions
- new dungeon

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ituFemKJYA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxzMJYDhDHI

Today's d-hee-mon is the one, the ho-nly, Fairy Jack Frost! Like his brother Jack-o'-Lantern, you would have trouble naming games hee isn't in. Not only is hee a demon, but hee's the mascot of Atlus. This vending machine actually does exist and isn't just present in many games:

GE94aDfbYAAlzn8.png

This is an actual thing in their offices:

EOrIoYtUwAA4HBn.png

Hee's very cute and very marketable, and always has been since this design made it's debut 31 years ago in the first SMT. Note that Jack Frost was in Megami Tensei II, but a different design.

latest

His face is so iconic that you can just put that on something and it's very recognizable.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

The design used in SMTV (and of course Vengeance) was actually Doi's take on the original design. You can see some minor differences like the outline on his cap. I think it's a particularly good variation, with a lot of respect for the classic design.

I've mentioned it before, but there have been many games where there's a new "Jack" design based on Jack Frost, such as King Frost, Black Frost, Hee Ho-Kun, Raiho, Ai-ho, and many others. This game even has one in Nahobeeho.

He's even had multiple games centering around him, such as Jack Bros. and the free to play Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue. The latter was a free game created by Ladybug that's a mini-Metroidvania that was made to promote Strange Journey Redux. You can download it (even patched in English) at the link below. It's a great game and it's absolutely worth the few hours of length it is. Jack Frost and Black Frost are even unlockable characters in the DS version of Snowboard Kids!

Tomorrow's demon is Snake Nozuchi!

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Up to you, but you would get the original experience via creation route in Vengeance.

Original game had some gameplay downsides such as level gating and lack of dungeons. Vengeance is said to have rectified these areas and introduce new game machanics.

- new demons
- demon interactions
- new environmental interactions
- playable human companions
- new dungeon
Worth pointing out they said the QoL stuff will be in Creation, such as removing the level scaling, rework of Abscesses, and other things. I don't know if they're introducing the new common demons in Creation though.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The original isn't that bad, the story isn't good but many don't play SMT for its story, and the gameplay and music of the original were still amazing.

I'd probably still recommend playing the new route first, though we can't say for sure how the changes are until we play it, the chance of burnout will be real after one playthrough so it might be a while until you see it if you start with the original.
If someone wants to do that, then there's no problem with it.

Vamer

May 7, 2024
Anyone else plan on doing their first playthrough on godborn difficulty? I hope it's really brutal and you can't opt out of it once started:p

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
I think some people are confused about what I said. When I say I want to experience the original story I mean I am picking that route first on SMT5 Vengeance on my PS4......I am not going to play the original game on Switch. There will be no burn out unless new game plus will not transfer stuff if you choose a different route.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
BuffMaister's channel started posting Hades II spoilers today, so I am going to look into a browser extension to filter out all Hades videos from their channel. I unsubscribed for now, and if I can't find a viable solution, I won't be posting their translation videos anymore.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
Do people think this will run at a solid 60fps at maximum settings on Deck?

P3P from what I understand didn't perform very well, but perhaps this originally being a Switch game will be lighter to run?

Weighing up PS5 version vs Steam version.

Steam version gives me a TV version + Portable version.

PS5 version gives me only TV version, but smoother pick up and play on TV than via my PC.

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
Well I have a PS4 and I am sure it will play better then it did on the Switch and that is good enough for me.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a-t2wYAqlo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYIO_MkfWXg

Today's demon is Snake Nozuchi! His first apperance was in SMTII, and with very different design from what we know today.

latest

This design was actually used in SMT NINE.

latest

In Persona 1, he had a slightly different design that I figure is worth pointing out.

latest

And then we get to Soul Hackers, where he had a design that you can kind of see how it evolved into the one we know today, but was definitely weird.

latest

Nocturne was where we got the one we know today.

He doesn't have any particularly notable story roles, however in Nocturne you may know him for one role in particular. He can appear in random encounters in front of where a certain skellington that wants to challenge you to a duel is. If you bring Nozuchi, that skellington is going go try to boop Nozuchi in his long snoot with Force skills, realizing he fucked around and found out: Nozuchi drains force. I'm almost certain the literal reason Nozuchi spawns there (or Matador was placed there if Nozuchi already spawned there in the original non-Maniax Nocturne) is to provide you a demon that's perfect for whooping his ass. If you were having trouble with Matador and then try again with a Nozuchi, you're gonna be like:

S9csNah.gif

Tomorrow's demon is Dragon Nyami Nyami! He's brand new to this game!

Don't forget that tonight at 7:30pm CT/5:30pm PT/8:30pm ET there's a livestream delivering a lot of information on the game. The video below should tell you the time for your timezone if it's not one of the three I said. This WILL be streamed on Atlus West's YouTube channel as well as Atlus Japan's. I expect it will have English voiceover and subtitles like the Metaphor one. According to some people on Twitter, it's going to be about 15 minutes, but I also can't find and official source of that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGpbTXCVkwQ

Do people think this will run at a solid 60fps at maximum settings on Deck?

P3P from what I understand didn't perform very well, but perhaps this originally being a Switch game will be lighter to run?

Weighing up PS5 version vs Steam version.

Steam version gives me a TV version + Portable version.

PS5 version gives me only TV version, but smoother pick up and play on TV than via my PC.
I expect it will run at 60FPS at max settings on Deck. I could potentially be wrong, but this is a Switch game at the end of the day, and while I'm sure it does have some possible bells and whistles for platforms more powerful than Switch, I think it will largely be the same.

Last edited:

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
Speaking of Persona 1, there are many monsters from that game that I wish would get 3D versions. Ones that come to mind would be that female toilet ghost, living anatomy dummy, haunted basket ball, living painting, demon chef, murderous child/doll(I am not sure wich it was), cyborgs, and various zombies. Keep in mind i only played the butchered version and don't know or remember their proper names.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Persona 1, there are many monsters from that game that I wish would get 3D versions. Ones that come to mind would be that female toilet ghost, living anatomy dummy, haunted basket ball, living painting, demon chef, murderous child/doll(I am not sure wich it was), cyborgs, and various zombies. Keep in mind i only played the butchered version and don't know or remember their proper names.
Yeah those would be really cool. Toilet ghost would be skibidi toilet, and now I've dropped that cursed thought about skibidi toilet in an SMT game.

By "murderous child/doll" do you mean Carrie perhaps?