• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
From the man himself

On RE3:

Screenshot_2020-10-18_1_Shinji_Mikami_the_birth_of_the_survival_horror_game_-_Archipel_Caravan_-_You.png

Screenshot_2020-10-18_1_Shinji_Mikami_the_birth_of_the_survival_horror_game_-_Archipel_Caravan_-_You.png

Real interesting interview, you should check it out

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The original RE3 is a great game.

If Mikami were referring to the remake, however, he'd be right.

Oct 28, 2017
sorry mikami-san ive got mad respect for you but i just don't agree with you at all. RE3 stands the test of time; CV does not

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
yeah this was always "on the record" (though i can't cite which specific interview)

i dunno why this was ever contested, really

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He should be forced to play both of them back to back before reiterating this. Back then, I'd wager production values were more or less king of the conversation. Neither are very good, but Code Veronica is almost self parody from a gameplay standpoint (RE0 *is* self-parody). I'm trying to recall but I think Code Veronica was made with a lot of SEGA staff - but that may have just been graphical stuff.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I mean even back in the day Code Veronica came off as more the next number titled with Claire and Chris after playing RE2 so much on the PS1 back in 1998.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
One of these two games has Steve Burnside in it. The other one has Nemesis.

I know which one I would rather play.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Veronica was...

I dunno, enjoyable I guess.

It was the gap from 3 to 4, at least that I could see the game evolving from 3.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Preach. Said this before, RE3 should've been RE2 DLC or some shit and CV RE3. CV basically wraps up some lingering plotlines too before going into a semi reboot RE4.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I preferred RE3 way more than CV.
Storywise, atmosphere, controls, replay value... I loved those in RE3 a lot more.
The only thing I liked more in CV was the knife being OP.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'd say it's fair to say corners were cut with RE3 but it was a small evolution of an already great formula from RE2 with a rock solid mercs concept

CV was more ambitious for sure, but went off a bit of a deep end plot wise. I appreciate it more than really like it, and would (given a toss up) prefer to play 3

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
That's nice. Code: Veronica is still trash, and failed to play even a fraction as well as the original RE3.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
RE3 much more fun than Veronica, but i do agree that Veronica more deserved to be the numbered title

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Code: Veronica is the real RE3
Peace Walker is the real MGS5

What other examples are there?

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Code Veronica has a nice first half but the story becomes too over the top (preannouncing RE4's tone), but the latter half is very bad. Resident Evil 3 is way more consistent.

Code: Veronica is the real RE3
Peace Walker is the real MGS5

What other examples are there?
New Vegas is the actual Fallout 4.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
You're trying way too hard OP, it's so weird that your love for CV made you hate RE3 that much, fans can be really bizarre sometimes.

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately they're both great. I wouldn't know which number to put on either of them.

RE3 feels like developers doing a lot with limited resources and really stretching the RE formula. More action, more options when replaying.
Code Veronica is full of cinematic ideas but ends up being a much slower game as a result. In many way it's a perfectly acceptable sequel to Resident Evil 2 but it lacks the imagination that's shown in RE3.

"Resident Evil 3: Code Veronica" sounds weird to me.

I need to find the time to sit down and watch this interview.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Nah, CV is a slog to play through and definitely the worst of the 4 traditional RE games. 3 on the other hand was a great game that could be replayed almost endlessly without getting old.