• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
bfiwMSL.png

www.shadows-of-the-damned-hellaremastered.com

Shadows of the Damned: Hella Remastered

The action-adventure 'Shadows of the Damned,' a hell-bound road movie released in 2011, makes a comeback as a remastered edition! With a super unique worldview of 'Hell × Rock 'n' Roll,' this game is a wild tour of the demon hunter 'Garcia' plowing through the depths of hell. His hot passion...

This is definitely new. Announcement of the company soon?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
pLSjld6.png

I know Grasshopper are working on a new IP but a third shot at a Suda51 x Mikami collab would be sooooooooooo fire. Luv Killer7 and luv Shadows of the Damned. Simple as.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I know so little about SotD I either forgot or just never knew Q Hayashida designed the bosses

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
Ok, I know this is an extreme stretch, but what feels like years ago now Suda 51 indicated he had a studio he'd like to partner with for a Flower, Sun, and Rain remake.

Please be this one.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Ok, I know this is an extreme stretch, but what feels like years ago now Suda 51 indicated he had a studio he'd like to partner with for a Flower, Sun, and Rain remake.

Please be this one.
He mentioned that all the way back in 2020, really doubt it's Mikami's new studio

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Glad this has happened. Mikami working for ZeniMax / Bethesda (and now Microsoft) never felt right. Contract Kamiya, and make something dope
Kamiya said it sounds like a bad idea for them to work together because they're both stubborn types that have their own set ideas for how they want things done.

He mentioned that all the way back in 2020, really doubt it's Mikami's new studio
I'd also be really confused by the idea of Mikami leaving one studio to pursue remaking someone else's game and forming a new studio for that purpose!

Despite Mikami's well-publicized grievances with Shadows of the Damned's development, he and Suda remained great friends and him putting his name on this remaster feels like a way for him to close that chapter in his career, albeit in a much more low-key way than Suda did in Travis Strikes Again. Getting the scoop on the name of Mikami's new venture is an unexpected perk, but hey, we'll take it.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Selfishly want more survival horror but understand if he wants to do something else. Will check it out whatever it is, Mikami the GOAT.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
It might just be a small company to allow him to do freelance work ala Sora Ltd. and Sakurai, or Armor Project and Yuji Horii.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Happy he's out doing what he wants. Being part of the big corporate machine isn't for everyone.

Jul 24, 2018
Yeah but hi fi rush wasn't AAA ...seems especially after the success of that Microsoft would have let them do whatever you they wanted to make ... weird to see him start over like this
He wasn't directing that game, like I think it's pretty clear that working in AAA severely limits creativity, Mikami and Kamiya are the auteur type of devs who are in the business for the fun of making games and not the money.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Why though? He's wasn't happy with the way Tango was being run? Or is this something different?
Cashed out from que Zenimax acquisition by Microsoft, I also think that there may have been some influence by Xbox on the way the studio was managed trying to remedy some of the concerns raised by Ikumi Nakamura on her departure letter.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Why though? He's wasn't happy with the way Tango was being run? Or is this something different?

One of his main goals with Tango was to foster a new generation of devs and directors, the same way he did with Kamiya, Koji Oda, Shu Takumi and others at Capcom. He feels he's successfully done that.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
hyped to see whatever he does. the man is really good at making videogames.

also john johannas is still at tango (directed the best evil within and hi-fi rush), so they'll be fine too. Kenji Kimura also did a great job on Ghostwire.

One of his main goals with Tango was to foster a new generation of devs and directors, the same way he did with Kamiya, Koji Oda, Shu Takumi and others at Capcom. He feels he's successfully done that.
damn. shu takumi was under his wing?

BK0X

Oct 28, 2017
I'm absolutely happy to hear about this. Didn't Suda51 talk about his desire to release a complete version of Killer7 some years ago? I would love to see him and Mikami team up once again.
No matter what, I'm always ready for more Mikami games. A remake or a new IP, I'll be there!

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
It was obvious that he wasn't happy with things in the last year or so of his time at Tango, and it was probably down to being a cog in the giant Microsoft machine.

I'll always look forward to whatever he does next.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Thought he got out to retire tbh, but good for him. Can't wait to see what he does!

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
for those wondering about his motives:

Tango's main goal for him since the beginning was to both train and cultivate "the next generation of talent" in Japan's gaming industry.

people like John Johanas and Ikumi Nakamura getting the spotlight, giving them a chance to direct their own games.

if that goal has changed or the viability for that under Tango Gameworks itself, it is essentially the big question.

and finally, as for developing new titles himself, he has stated a few times the desire to make smaller, weird experiences (one exameple he gave was E-rated in tone).

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
hyped to see whatever he does. the man is really good at making videogames.

also john johannas is still at tango (directed the best evil within and hi-fi rush), so they'll be fine too. Kenji Kimura also did a great job on Ghostwire.

damn. shu takumi was under his wing?

Yes. He was part of the same new hire "class of 94" as Kamiya. The second title he worked on was RE2 as assistant planner. Which Mikami produced, after all His third title was Dino Crisis. Takumi was credited as main planner on Dino Crisis. In reality he was the director for much of it. Mikami took over as director midway through development, as Takumi was struggling a bit in the role, iirc. But Takumi directed all of Dino Crisis 2. And Mikami produced both DC games, in addition to taking over as director of 1.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Him under MS seemed like a perfect deal since he'd finally have carte blanche to do whatever he wanted judging by what we know about all of their studios, so when he left I assumed he was kinda done with games. A bit surprising he decided to start over again, going back looking for publishers, etc. Might have been some fuckery while they still were under Zenimax, who knows.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Yes. He was part of the same new hire "class of 94" as Kamiya and the second title he worked on was RE2, as assistant planner on RE2, which Mikami produ ed. His third title was Dino Crisis. Takumi was credited as main planner on Dino Crisis. In reality he was the director for much of it. Mikami took over as director midway through development, as Takumi was struggling a bit in the role, iirc. But Takumi directed all of Dino Crisis 2. And Mikami produced both DC games, in addition to taking over as director of 1.
goddamnnnnnn mikami is really good at fostering talent.

Oct 27, 2017
He's an excellent game director (a couple of minor flubs not withstanding), and he's an excellent producer, so I'm glad he's still in the business to rise up one last generation of talent before he hangs it up for good.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Source this please because I have seen absolutely nothing suggesting this was the case.
It came up a few times in the discussion threads on era leading up to his departure. There were several interviews that he and the team had done at the time and he seemed a lot less interested in being there than he's normally been like in interviews prior. It's from a year plus back now so I'm just recollecting my view of his demeanour at the time.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
Looking forward to whatever he works on next. Even if it's just supervising a new generation, his eye for talent over the years can't be understated.

Yeah but hi fi rush wasn't AAA ...seems especially after the success of that Microsoft would have let them do whatever you they wanted to make ... weird to see him start over like this

??? Hi-Fi Rush is absolutely a AAA title.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Lets fucking go. Always down for whatever Mikami makes.

The Evil Within is a masterpiece.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
And then Sony buys the studio and he quits again lol.
He just doesn't want to deal with the nonsense of big publishers.

tejinashi

Dec 23, 2022
Exciting news, just waiting on the official announcement now.

I personally hope he directs another survival horror, albeit on a smaller scale (like a Signalis, maybe?), but whatever he makes I will buy. It's just great to still have him in the industry.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, he was kinda pissed at Sony during the PS2 generation, I think he is partly the reason for Resident Evil Gamecube exclusivity.
I think it was the other way around - he was mad at Sony and SE (well, still Square at the time) because Kingdom Hearts sold really well while RE Remake on Gamecube didn't (they released one week apart):
Shinji Mikami, producer of Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, strongly criticized Sony and Square in a recent radio interview in Japan.

Mikami accused Sony of purposely designing their consoles to break easily so that gamers will have to buy a replacement. He also said that Sony's high sales figures are helped by the fact that many gamers, himself included, have had to buy a second PlayStation and PlayStation 2.

From there, Mikami went on to accuse Sony of doing the same thing with their line of PCs, Walkmans, and cell phones. He asked why no one has complained about this and said that it was almost like cheating and committing a crime. The radio DJ tried to interrupt Mikami and shift the conversation to another topic, but when Mikami was asked if he thought Sony's customers are foolish, he replied, "Yes."

Next, Mikami said that Kingdom Hearts' strong sales are due to "aura purchase," meaning that customers are buying the game because their friends have bought it or like it, regardless of whether they like the game themselves. He said that Kingdom Hearts does not deserve its 780,000 sales or 6800 yen price tag.

Finally, he apologized to Square, saying
he is upset that Kingdom Hearts has sold more copies than Biohazard for the Gamecube. He said that Biohazard is the better game, but Kingdom Hearts is not a bad game either.

Neither Square nor Sony has made any comments regarding Mikami's statements.