BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
In the recent Digital Foundry video, they are saying they are hearing rumors of next gen console prices being $600 or even more. Awful if true. Especially with possible $70 games and a lackluster lineup. Just in time for our major recession/pandemic.

It would go against everything I've seen and read but lets see. 2020 has been a shit show all round so I guess ending the year on such a note wouldn't be that surprising....

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In the recent Digital Foundry video, they are saying they are hearing rumors of next gen console prices being $600 or even more. Awful if true. Especially with possible $70 games and a lackluster lineup. Just in time for our major recession/pandemic.

$600+ next gen consoles would be very bad for next gen sales.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember them saying $500, not $600.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is no way either of them going above 500$

Xsx500
Ps5 500
Ps5de 450
Xss 300

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If you were to look at the $$ per TFLOP (which is somewhat arbitrary but I like it as a benchmark) then a $399 @ 10.3 console is not much different than $499 @ 12. ($38.83 vs. $41.66 per TFLOP). The other two versions don't fare as well. And of course this doesn't count things like amount of storage and the value of the ODD. There is no doubt that if the Series X comes in at the same price as the PS5, you for sure get the most for your money in the Series X. I'm not console warring - you get the more TFLOPS and more storage at the same price. When you compare Series X to PS5 digital with $100 difference - it still favors Series X. $/tflop is about the same, and you get more storage and the drive.

I think $ per tflop is probably one of the most arbitrary measurements for console hardware value ive ever heard. Think holistically about these devices, also a point like "more storage" is also nearly moot for comparison since these machines can be expanded to multiple times the out-of-the-box capacity for relative pennies. And you also forgot about the I/O speed differences that could be the major differentiator this generation (because as we have seen, 18% tflop gap won't show appreciable improvements to the naked eye). I won't even touch on how people really find value in console hardware: software

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Scorn has no release date

If you think those other games are a good enough line-up to ship a brand new next gen console then great, personally it's a very weak list and easily far inferior to Xbox 360 and Xbox One. That's just me, other people's mileage may vary.

Microsoft clearly bet big on Halo and it's blown up in their face, that's what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket.

The fact Series X is poised to be even less enticing than Xbox One was at launch is not at all what MS will have wanted.

Gamepass makes this unequivocally false.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass makes this unequivocally false.

Game Pass is already available on Xbox One you aren't required to buy next gen to use it, and that unimpressive launch line-up isn't moving the needle because the only game that is not available on Xbox One Game Pass at launch will be The Medium.

Speaking of which I don't actually think that game looks as good as I hoped it would and Bloober didn't really impress me with Blair Witch.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
$ per flop? Why not $ per GBps SSD transfer rate? That is by far the biggest difference between the two consoles and would have the PS5 coming out miles ahead.

Both metics would be complete nonsense of course. You can pick any spec point and try to extrapolate a value scale, but in the real world value is not determined by these things. It's determined by the amount and quality of games available on the system along with various other intangible aspects (online ecosystem, backwards compatibility, proven track record with exclusive games etc.)

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I know it's vague but want to caveat that this doesn't mean there won't be anything Xbox related this month, but there's things that were going to be shared this month that got pushed to September.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
The games community is far too fixated on this notion of a console warz standoff for announcing price with very little consideration for the idea that neither company are confident enough in a 2020 launch to provide concrete details. It feels like that would be the obvious conclusion for any other kind of product attempting to launch during a pandemic.

This is what I have been saying. Very little acknowledgement by the console gaming community that we are in the midst of a once in a lifetime health and economic crisis. I think some of that is because games are an escapist exercise for many on this forum. Psychologically it's difficult to acknowledge that your one means of escape may get hindered dramatically. I also see this cognitive dissonance in the gaming media. They are delaying and not giving out prices and what not because they don't know. Things are changing daily. It's like trying to shoot a bullseye during an earthquake.

Neither of the big two have really shown anything. They have been reluctant to release the most basic information. MS started out like a house on fire and then there was COVID-19. Now they won't even acknowledge Lockhart and they know that we all know it exists. With regards to Sony, we know that the PS5's BOM increased unexpectedly due to COVID. These companies are dealing with a lot now. Just because online play and games sales are up doesn't mean that it's sustainable. We are looking realistically at 20 to 25 percent unemployment and a a half a million deaths in the U.S. alone. That is having a huge effect, and will continue to do so on all of these companies whether we want to acknowledge or not. Expect more bad news.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017

There's absolutely no way a console launches at $599.

The stigma that the PS3 created with this value is too big. No one would be crazy to commit the same mistake.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
I know it's vague but want to caveat that this doesn't mean there won't be anything Xbox related this month, but there's things that were going to be shared this month that got pushed to September.
Spill the beans my friend, I'm still really excited for anything Xbox and I'm glad Infinite has been delayed. 343 deserve the time to fulfill their vision.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
This is what I have been saying. Very little acknowledgement by the console gaming community that we are in the midst of a once in a lifetime health and economic crisis. I think some of that is because games are an escapist exercise for many on this forum. Psychologically it's difficult to acknowledge that your one means of escape may get hindered dramatically. I also see this cognitive dissonance in the gaming media. They are delaying and not giving out prices and what not because they don't know. Things are changing daily. It's like trying to shoot a bullseye during an earthquake.

Neither of the big two have really shown anything. They have been reluctant to release the most basic information. MS started out like a house on fire and then there was COVID-19. Now they won't even acknowledge Lockhart and they know that we all know it exists. With regards to Sony, we know that the PS5's BOM increased unexpectedly due to COVID. These companies are dealing with a lot now. Just because online play and games sales are up doesn't mean that it's sustainable. We are looking realistically at 20 to 25 percent unemployment and a a half a million deaths in the U.S. alone. That is having a huge effect, and will continue to do so on all of these companies whether we want to acknowledge or not. Expect more bad news.
Good points

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Smart delivery is about a current gen version transitioning to the next gen version for no additional price. Not picking what you want installed.

And IIRC Sony is doing their own version of Smart Delivery where you only keep the portion of the game on local storage that you are using.

www.gamespot.com

PS5 Game Installs Will Still Be Required, With One Major Change

You'll still need to install games on PlayStation 5, Sony confirms, but this time you'll have greater freedom in choosing which parts of titles to install and keep on the system.

Among other details, Sony confirmed that PS5 will require players to install games onto the system, much like PS4. This time around, however, you'll have greater freedom over choosing which parts of the games to install.

"Rather than treating games like a big block of data, we're allowing finer-grained access to the data," system architect Mark Cerny says in the interview. An example Wired brings up is only installing a game's multiplayer component, or being able to delete a game's single-player portion from your system once you've completed it.

I hope you aren't calling me out on a technicality...

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Yeah, if I had to guess what got pushed, it's Lockhart and price. Since Sony didn't give price at their August event, MS pushes back price reveal once more.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

What video? The Halo one? When do they claim it's a rumor? Don't they just speculate that these things seem expensive?

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
They suggested hearing around that the next gen consoles could be $600 or higher. I'll have to go back and watch the video again when I'm not at work to see exactly what was said.

Went back and watched and Linneman does mention "rumors" that the consoles will be expensive, though I took that to mean the Bloomberg article from February about manufacturing costs (Hard to know the veracity of that at this point since it also mentioned a new PSVR for PS5 launch). I haven't heard anything else, but maybe he really was suggesting some other rumors he's heard.

Rubik8

Dec 5, 2018
Then OTOH the bloomberg article quoted BOM of PS5 back then at near 470, which would belie 499 as being possible. But then again BOM is not nearly all the costs that go into a product.
That BOM estimate keeps coming up as people try to predict the PS5's MSRP, but I really wonder how actuate it is. Could it be a false flag of sorts to throw off the competition's plans?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I think $ per tflop is probably one of the most arbitrary measurements for console hardware value ive ever heard. Think holistically about these devices, also a point like "more storage" is also nearly moot for comparison since these machines can be expanded to multiple times the out-of-the-box capacity for relative pennies. And you also forgot about the I/O speed differences that could be the major differentiator this generation (because as we have seen, 18% tflop gap won't show appreciable improvements to the naked eye). I won't even touch on how people really find value in console hardware: software
What I find most interesting are those who suggest PS5 has more tricks up its sleeve and could be the better system yet the same people are very quick to price Series X above PS5, why? Personally I think both will hit the $499 mark.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
What I find most interesting are those who suggest PS5 has more tricks up its sleeve and could be the better system yet the same people are very quick to price Series X above PS5, why? Personally I think both will hit the $499 mark.
Yes it's obvious which is the strongest console yet somehow that keeps getting mitigating responses.

Everyone who knows anything about how these things work have said it's not even a question. The last few days have been crazy.

Meta

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017

The only way Series X is coming in above PS5 is if the BOM is roughly equivalent, and the only number I've seen floated around is $500 for the Series X. I agree with you and think both both companies will take a hit for the remaining logistical costs to reach $499 at most.

Having said that, I can entertain the possibility of a more expensive Series X. Top Microsoft leadership (i.e. the "we are services company" types) might not stomach taking a non-negligible loss on each unit sold. If the primary strategy is GamePass/Xcloud and presenting consumers with as many options to use these services, I can imagine a scenario where Microsoft de-prioritizes the perception of Series X being "the next Xbox, period" for mainstream consumers and pivots towards the more affordable Series S as the default entry point for next-gen gaming and their gaming services. The Series X becomes the choice for enthusiasts.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's absolutely no way a console launches at $599.

The stigma that the PS3 created with this value is too big. No one would be crazy to commit the same mistake.
I think Analysts have better sources on BOM than DF... ,if DF thinks it's more, they've lost their damn minds.
If analysts and even vendors, WSJ , Nikkei all say Sony increased production to aim for 10 million units by March 2021... HELL no it wont be over $500. Their confidence that demand will be high makes that impossible. Honestly, looking like it's coming in at 399-450

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
If next gen is $600 I'm out until year 2. And I'm pretty sure most casuals would be out too.

Jul 28, 2020
Ask me 6 months ago, I'd say Xbox is primed to come out swinging this generation. Ask me now, I'd say they're on fire. I'm still getting a Series X at launch but I can't help but feel like I'm buying a ticket aboard a sinking ship.
What changed? A single game got delayed.

They still have the best hardware, online, more games announced than their competitor.

Honestly, the way the internet has run with Microsoft making the right choice - delaying to make the game better, is insane.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
What changed? A single game got delayed.

They still have the best hardware, online, more games announced than their competitor.

Honestly, the way the internet has run with Microsoft making the right choice - delaying to make the game better, is insane.

Possibly that they have shown very few games that look like they could be coming soon. We are possibly around 10 weeks from launch and they havent shown a single game running on the series X. They have no first party launch line up.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
If both Sx and PS5 will target a $600 price tag it totally makes sense why MS and Sony are playing this silence game. You don't want to announce $600 price tag too early and kill the hype.
Tbh $500 is a better reasonable price tag which most adult gamers can afford. But they haven't announced that so... $600 incoming?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly that they have shown very few games that look like they could be coming soon. We are possibly around 10 weeks from launch and they havent shown a single game running on the series X. They have no first party launch line up.
To be fair neither console does.

Sony has an expansion of an existing game (which looks great but...is an expansion) and a port in launch window.

This new gen looks very dry in the new games department for now, even 3rd party shares this issue.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair neither console does.

Sony has an expansion of an existing game (which looks great but...is an expansion) and a port in launch window.

This new gen looks very dry in the new games department for now, even 3rd party shares this issue.

Sony has 2 confirmed 1st party launch games and a whole slew of games shown on PS5 that are likely all scheduled for the first year, possibly some at launch.

You kind of show your own hand when your answer is, yeah neither has games because these 2 games it has aren't real games. Ok.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has 2 confirmed 1st party launch games and a whole slew of games shown on PS5 that are likely all scheduled for the first year, possibly some at launch.

You kind of show your own hand when your answer is, yeah neither has games because these 2 games it has aren't real games. Ok.
No, an expansion and port do not count for me.

Xbox is even worse.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has an expansion of an existing game (which looks great but...is an expansion)...

You guys are trying way too hard to downplay Miles Morales, lol. This is already Niche-Man tier downplay. You claim it is an expansion, in another Xbox thread some others claimed it is glorified DLC, it's not a full game, oh, and one claimed it's maximum 5 hours long. Sure.
It is a full, standalone game. That has now been stated like a million times already. It might be considerably shorter than a Spider-Man 2 would be, but that still doesn't mean its not a full game. The Lost Legacy, which has been directly compared to Miles Morales by the the developers and Sony, was a fairly lengthy (compared to older UCs) full game that was just as high quality, if not even more, than Uncharted 4.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Wow... the downplaying of Spider-Man of all things on the PS5. I think a lot of people are in for a surprise on just how well that game does when it comes out.

I was talking about Demon Souls but yes.

Next gens launch window is much weaker than this gen. For both companies.

We don't know the full launch window lineup of either Sony of Microsoft yet.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about Demon Souls but yes.

Next gens launch window is much weaker than this gen. For both companies.

It really, really isn't though.

PS4 had Knack and Killzone Shadowfall, both were god awful. The only notable PS4 release was Resogun.

Spider-Man could be a 1 hour tech demo and it would still be a superior line-up than what PS3 & PS4 got.

That's not counting third parties like Cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed which I imagine most of us will be playing on next gen machines.