• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you read OPs?

• Yes!

Votes: 293 36.4%
  • No, I only read titles and vote on polls.

Votes: 298 37.0%
  • I'm lost. Is this the Nintendo rumor OT?

Votes: 214 26.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
The notable thing here is not that Nintendo is working on new hardware, it's that he wasn't even asked about new hardware. Please read the whole quote.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3069...akahashi-says-nintendo-is-researching-new-con

Nintendo's Shinya Takahashi was at the BAFTA Games Awards 2018 to represent Nintendo and their nominated games. At the event, Mr. Takahashi had a brief interview with the BBC. Surprisingly, Takahashi let loose with this tidbit about future Nintendo hardware.

Nintendo constantly works on hardware, so we have been doing research and development. So you may see the new system sometime in the future.

I honestly don't know what to make of the statement. It comes out of nowhere, especially when you consider that Takahashi gave this statement as an answer to the question, "Do you think the success of the Switch has come as a surprise?" I mean, his response doesn't make any sense!

Switch Mini at E3. Get hype, son.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...he says it in the interview. Nintendo is always doing R&D on hardware. So are Sony and Microsoft. It's how being a console maker works.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This IS actually surprising because I thought we'd be in a Switch only future.

God, taking away the hybrid would be a massive downgrade.

Nov 1, 2017
The trees were real all along!!!

nintendo_nx_fake.0.0.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope, it isn't like a Switch XL or something which would make me upset. However, R&D is normal so I guess this is a good sign that something like that will eventually come.....I just hope its after at least 3 to 4 years on the market.

Oct 26, 2017
Will there be any point in time where any console manufacturer isn't actively researching the next step in their hardware family?

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
3DS replacement :(

I just wish they would just stay with Switch alone but I can't help but think they are going to keep pushing 2 platforms

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
If it's an alternative switch SKU we need a poll going here, will it be...?

A) A console mode only SKU
B) A Portable mode only SKU
C) Both

Which is more likely? Which id the one you'd buy if you don't have a switch already?

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I for one am shocked. I thought after Switch Nintendo was done with making hardware.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
The bigger question is when aren't they researching new hardware. Seriously like I wanna know if any of the big 3 be like "okay that's enough for now let's party"

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
R&D can take years so the fact that they are doing so isn't surprising at all. Also I believe it's a translated interview so maybe something wasn't translated right?

Feb 22, 2018
Just par for the course, really. I do, however think there is a chance they will reveal a different colored Switch at E3, however. (talking about the main body of the Switch here) Still a bit surprised that they didn't announce a different color at last year's E3.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
I'm sure even as we speak the successor of the Switch is being planned. They're never not working on new hardware.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
If it's an alternative switch SKU we need a poll going here, will it be...?

A) A console mode only SKU
B) A Portable mode only SKU
C) Both

Which is more likely? Which id the one you'd buy if you don't have a switch already?

We'd need a 'D) Neither', too. I don't see Nintendo ever releasing a Switch that can't switch.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
He's clearly talking about switch revisions. If you look at their handhelds they clearly are constantly doing research into this

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably a gamecube successor meaning a console with more power closer to what ps4 pro (but wont be as powerful as ps5-xbox4)

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Probably a hanheld that fits in your pocket(figuratively and literaly).

This would explain why they never called the other hardware a portable.

And in the context of the question, i believe that this other thing would be the plan b, if switch had failed.

Not surprised, to be honest, the idea of only one hardware always sounded wishful think of some, in my opinion.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
Will there be any point in time where any console manufacturer isn't actively researching the next step in their hardware family?

When they stop making hardware.

I've parsed or observed loads of industry interviews, and the same questions get asked constantly. Likely working through a interpreter, it's entirely possible the question was either worded to him in a way he assumed there was an ask about "what's next" or he just short-circuited the inevitable "so what's next" follow-up.

You can dig through interviews and find the same quotes one year into Wii as well. His answer tells the full tale: they always are researching. They're never shy about saying it. They have to let investors know about the R&D budget anyway, so there's no point in secrecy about it.

When they were moving on from Wii U they were much more direct. They spoke explicitly about what they were looking to do. This is just a casual "well we're always researching..."

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh...duh? Of course they are. It's a console manufacturer, how long do people think making those take?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
We'd need a 'D) Neither', too. I don't see Nintendo ever releasing a Switch that can't switch.

well i was more than anything aiming at what the userbase would like if that was what they're working on (hint: we have no reason to actually believe that's what they are working on), i actually don't think a non switching SKU will ever exist.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they have an hardware division..it's not like they are on holiday until it's time for a new console

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think the "merge development teams and make software for only one device" future isn't guaranteed.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breaking news: Sony is researching for new console hardware.

Breaking news 2: Microsoft is researching for new console hardware.

Ultra breaking news: All console makers are always researching for the next new console hardware. It's not like they're resting on their laurels when brand new hardware releases, the get back to the drawing board for the next one.