• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP-c_0RWqxo&ab_channel=SqueaksD%27corgeh

Every once in a while I come across a game that I think more people absolutely need to hear about. This time it's this small indie game made by a solo dev called Shipwrecked 64.

Shipwrecked 64 is supposedly a Nintendo 64 game that was released in 1997 but was immediately taken off shelves after a very limited soft launch. Shipwrecked 64 on Steam is supposed to be a recreation of that game done by the dev with support from some of the original devs. Inside this collection is a faithful recreation based on original design documents and the original game ran through an emulator.

store.steampowered.com

Shipwrecked 64 on Steam

A recovered copy of a lost game from the late 1990s about a Beaver named Bucky and his friends trying to escape from an island they crashed upon.

This is all obviously a lie.

What Shipwrecked 64 is one of the most unique horror games I've ever played using the concept of being a fake N64 game as it's main premise. You may be thinking "oooh so scary, a haunted retro game, so original", and you would be assuming incorrectly cause what this game does both conceptually and story wise is far more interesting. When playing the first time, you get to experience Shipwrecked 64 as it was supposed to be designed, then you get to experience why it was "taken off of store shelves." The game is about figuring out exactly why it was taken off store shelves. And boy the process to figure that out is interesting.

The game is highly inspired by online ARGs. You will be digging deep into the game, figuring out its secrets and solving various puzzles along the way. I will say I think the weakest part and the part that will completely turn some people off is this. The puzzles can be highly complex and frankly, some of them are so obtuse that I got stuck and stopped. Now you may be saying "it's so good yet you stopped?", I'm saying what I played was good enough to say I was 100% satisfied with the experience already. Absolutely loved what I played when I jumped off. I just kind of got annoyed solving it's puzzles, I want to go back and finish it but just haven't yet and I already want to talk about it.

ss_b1db7dabdd219e4e53f6fcb6c355c0c83b881589.600x338.jpg

Someone out there will see the puzzles in the game and it will 100% be there shit. I'm hoping someone here will hear about this game, play it, and it will be one of their new favs. It's incredibly unique in the video game space, and if you have ever participated in an ARG before, you will be right at home.

Now for the best part.

The build up of horror in this game is genuinely a masterclass of tension and restraint. It knows how to get you, how to build you up, how to put on the complete edge for the longest time and how to eventually push you off that cliff. The last horror game to get me like this was PT, I think partially because much like when playing PT for the first time, I had no idea what I was getting into. Please try and go into this game with as little knowledge as possible, it makes that experience so much sweeter. The unknown holds so much power in horror and this game is a huge mystery box that you pull back layer by layer. Every new wrinkle it throws at you hits so well, the sound design of this game is utterly brilliant, sound is by far one of the best ways to cause fear and the creator is a sick bastard who understands how to weaponize it. I don't feel like this game has anything even close to "cheap scares" and it does everything in it's power to earn every single one. I truly can't wait to see what the dev does next cause his mastery of horror is astounding.

If you need someone else to convince you, or you just want to watch someone go through play it (I highly discourage this, even if you don't finish cause the feeling of the unknown is so powerful here), Night Mind did an amazing video on it that doubles as a puzzle solution guide.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFHp-4IyIrU&ab_channel=NightMind

Also the game is 8$. It's cheap, support an indie dev. Is this game best game ever, GOTY forever material? Probably not? It is in my current top 5 of the year though and it is 100% worth experiencing.

And to end it, some advice for those who might actually play it. Almost every puzzle solution and hint is directly tied to the area and it is in, you are rarely bringing an answer somewhere else. (this advice would have helped me a ton and saved me time) Failure is also sometimes a success, experimenting is the name of this game. I hope some of you read this and get to enjoy Bucky and his wild little adventure to save his friends. :)

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, so like Petscop but playable huh? I wish I had a gaming PC to try it, but I'll keep an eye on this for the one day I finally get around to building one. Spooky retro is my shit, even if it's getting a little saturated.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
its very well done, almost close to being perfect outside of a few wobbly story beats here and there

and it does something i never though of before with a scare thats amazingly clever

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
Saw the ProtonDB for Steam Deck say "use desktop mode for full experience"

I'm guessing it does some "crash to desktop" meta type shit?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Shipwrecked 64 isnt just emulating all the horror game creepypasta stuff that came before it, it builds on everything before it and adds its own flair that works within the game world well

i dont think ive ever seen a game do a scare involving aspect ratios before

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I was obsessed with this game a few months back after watching a streamer play it. Really really cool execution of the concept.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Very cool game that could get annoying when it decides to squander its own momentum with obtuse puzzles or too-long stealth sections.

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York
Goddamn, I can't keep up with all these horror games lately!

But yeah, this looks awesome. Wishlisted and will hopefully play before the end of the year.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
oh this reminds me, the creator of Catastrophe Crow is making it into a playable game as well

hits in 10 days on itch

(technically the files have been out there to break down its own ARG, but this will be a playable .exe)

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I gave up on it due to the janky timed platforming section in the volcano. Pretty neat otherwise. Not sure how you solve some of this stuff without a guide though.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I gave up on it due to the janky timed platforming section in the volcano. Pretty neat otherwise. Not sure how you solve some of this stuff without a guide though.
that part isn't required for anything other than an achievement I believe

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Thanks for the rec. Spent all day playing it and feel like there's still so much more.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
feel like discovering the first few layers of this game and what it expects you to do is one of the games strongest moments

scratching the layer immediately unveils some horrific shit, but there's even better rewards tease you

just for

more digging

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bought it last night because of this thread. I played through for a couple of hours and had a really good time.

Dec 30, 2020
Shipwrecked 64 isnt just emulating all the horror game creepypasta stuff that came before it, it builds on everything before it and adds its own flair that works within the game world well

Yeah, that genuinely freaked me out badly just because it caught me completely off guard.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Ok I'm interested! Is there a spoiler free guide anywhere so I can play it without losing momentum when I get stuck?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a cool concept, though the puzzles might cause me to go running to a guide (Im not a great puzzle solver lol).
But I love the idea of "lost N64 game" etc. Ill definitely give it a shot.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm interested! Is there a spoiler free guide anywhere so I can play it without losing momentum when I get stuck?
The Nightmind video I included does a pretty decent job at it, each part labeled pretty distinctly while focusing on puzzle solutions and how they work. Of course only really necessary if you get stuck.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

you ever saw the movie Brother Bear? I thought Disney+ was busted, super scary

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Finished the game... I think this is the first playable "lost video game" ever made? Spent 16 hours over the course of two days to beat it with some hints. Feel like I missed quite a bit of secrets. Really hope this starts a trend of playable lost games with dark secrets, because that was really enjoyable.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game... I think this is the first playable "lost video game" ever made? Spent 16 hours over the course of two days to beat it with some hints. Feel like I missed quite a bit of secrets. Really hope this starts a trend of playable lost games with dark secrets, because that was really enjoyable.
One of the main reasons I love making posts like this is just introducing games to people so I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
I watched Night Mind's video on this a few weeks ago. I'd play it but it seems like it wouldn't work well on the Steam Deck due to how you're expected to interface with some of the ARG-esque puzzles, and that's typically where I'd want to play something like this otherwise. I'll probably still buy it at some point though.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna check this out, I was absolutely hooked on Petscop after finding out about it a couple years ago.