• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

www.9news.com

Teen creates bag that doubles as body armor

Trent Bush, 18, had the idea after feeling uncomfortable walking into the grocery store and other public spaces after the shooting at a King Soopers in 2021.

A teenager from Boulder has created an invention that he wishes he didn't have to – a grocery bag that doubles as a bulletproof vest.

Eighteen-year-old Trent Bush was in his senior year of high school when 10 people were shot and killed inside the Boulder Table Mesa King Soopers. A month after that tragedy, Bush came up with the idea for a tote bag that could turn into body armor.

In order to execute the idea, he taught himself to sew during the midst of the pandemic. He created a prototype that would later turn into "LifeTote."

"I never thought I would design something like this, and it is super unfortunate that tragedy had to happen for me to think of this idea," said Bush.

The tote was created with a breakaway zipper, so in the case of an emergency, you can easily dismantle it. Once it's no longer in bag form, it slips over your head and is secured into place around the chest and back.

"It does make me feel more comfortable in the grocery store. That's kind of why I designed it in the first place. After the King Soopers shooting, it felt off going anywhere public or with a lot of people, especially the grocery store," said Bush.

LifeTote is one-size-fits-all and allows you to adjust it when worn. The inside of the tote has flaps with layers of Kevlar, a type of fabric that catches and stops a deployed bullet.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
So thankful to live in a country where this shit isn't thought of, let alone needed.

Horrifying.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
"I never thought I would design something like this, and it is super unfortunate that tragedy had to happen for me to think of this idea," said Bush.

I read this as him really wanting to say what the real issue is, but coats it like this instead so as to not be branded as a crisis actor.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Reminds me of when I read about schoolbags with plate and kevlar not long ago.

Wait...

qUsbmaD.png

One check and yeah, they're still around, and oh boy there's an EMOJI bag, because that's what you want when you're being shot at. Fucking EMOJIS

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
It's really sad that the US as a country does so little to protect its citizens from violent death that a kid has to design a bulletproof bag to feel safe while buying food.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
"Necessity is the mother of invention". And with that in mind, it's a perfect reflection on how fucked & lost this country is.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the days after the mass shooting at the King Soopers on Table Mesa Drive, everything about Boulder felt off.

But the general anxiety and sadness that permeated the city got Trent Bush Jr. thinking.

"I was just thinking about what could be done to save people and help in that situation," he said. "There's not a whole lot of options."
Within a week or two of the shooting, Bush, an 18-year-old who graduated from Boulder High School last year, came up with the idea for a tote bag that can be used for groceries or other items but also unzips and transforms into a Kevlar vest that can be slipped over a person's head. That idea has now become LifeTote, a company he recently launched with his friends.

Once Bush worked with his dad to help figure out the system, he taught himself to sew so he could design prototypes. After developing prototypes, he is now working with Axxes Industries, a Lafayette-based company, to help create the initial launch.
He doesn't have any outside investors for LifeTote and said he used several thousand of his own dollars to help fund the idea. Bush also teamed up with his friends, Nick Johnson and Nathan Steinmann, who helped with marketing, building the website and other business-related work.

For Steinmann, an 18-year-old Boulder High graduate, the fact that his friend came up with the idea — in response to the King Soopers shooting, in which 10 people died — at least partially influenced his decision to get involved.

More at:
www.dailycamera.com

In wake of King Soopers shooting, Boulder High graduate creates tote bag that can transform into Kevlar vest

Within a week or two of the King Soopers shooting, Trent Bush Jr., an 18-year-old who graduated from Boulder High School last year, came up with the idea for a tote bag that can be used for groceri…

Lock if old

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
It's unfathomable how sad it is we need this. This country isn't going to make it if we can't see what a huge problem this is and solve it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
no one else is doing shit for these kids so of course it's just left up to them to protect themselves from America's sickness with guns

we live in a fucking twisted cruel world

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
We won't do anything about guns, so we have to figure out how to make everyone bulletproof all the time. fuck this place.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Modern problems require modern solutions (because we can't actually solve those deeper problems)

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if I was in high school now I really would get one of these for myself. Cause this fucking country just sucks that much.

Oct 25, 2017
Anything, literally anything instead of the most minor gun control. Let's just skip the padding and start outfitting students with body armor and camo uniforms.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I am considering reserving one. Need more info about the stopping power. The top-of-the-line backpacks have exceptional stopping power and are effective against virtually any caliber. They are very lightweight too and legal everywhere.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
gun thing we can all have unlimited guns and even bring them everywhere in some states COOL

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Wait...

qUsbmaD.png

One check and yeah, they're still around, and oh boy there's an EMOJI bag, because that's what you want when you're being shot at. Fucking EMOJIS

My dad actually gave me a bulletproof insert for my backpack before I went to college. Tried using it for a while but stopped one because it quickly proved unnecessary at my campus and two because it fucking sucks lugging it around. Like it does nothing but make it a few pounds heavier and more uncomfortable to wear all for the very slim chance that I cross paths with an active shooter and I can quickly turn it or myself around to shield myself and said shooter hits no other exposed part of me.

Just fucking awful that it keeps coming to this, living in such a crapsack world that we applaud ourselves for inventing new ways to make up for the failures of the governing bodies.

Dec 30, 2020

Wait...

qUsbmaD.png

Yes we live in a dystopian hellscape where children are required to wear body armor if they want to survive the increasingly likely chances of a shooting where they are, but on the plus side, now you can have branded gear with Minions on it!

Oct 27, 2017
fl

www.9news.com

Teen creates bag that doubles as body armor

Trent Bush, 18, had the idea after feeling uncomfortable walking into the grocery store and other public spaces after the shooting at a King Soopers in 2021.

Look shit hole or not there are things that can be done to make it better.. this person is looking at a band aid and thats better than nothing. Obviously gun control rules can be stricter but it aint happening, so figure out how it goes from there local county state is the only way THEN it goes national

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
The fact that half of you are agreeing that you need this is the entire point of exploitative products like this. Fear is a commodity.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Yes we live in a dystopian hellscape where children are required to wear body armor if they want to survive the increasingly likely chances of a shooting where they are, but on the plus side, now you can have branded gear with Minions on it!

Why fix the problem when the solution can be sold? Then again, the problem is so rooted into the culture it's not something that can be resolved over night.

My dad actually gave me a bulletproof insert for my backpack before I went to college. Tried using it for a while but stopped one because it quickly proved unnecessary at my campus and two because it fucking sucks lugging it around. Like it does nothing but make it a few pounds heavier and more uncomfortable to wear all for the very slim chance that I cross paths with an active shooter and I can quickly turn it or myself around to shield myself and said shooter hits no other exposed part of me.

Just fucking awful that it keeps coming to this, living in such a crapsack world that we applaud ourselves for inventing new ways to make up for the failures of the governing bodies.

Yeah I was annoyed enough in the Army lugging around basic kevlar, but it should never come to this. Just the thought of ever having to wear it, or any kind of plate armour outside of a conflict/police work is parodical. I often consider myself lucky that I live in a place where I can go get an education without having my head on a swivel or the thought of an active shooter is not something that ever comes to mind. I feel nothing but sorrow for the people that grow up in such a place where it is a constant occurrence.