• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Beam ammo or no beam ammo?

• Team beam ammo

Votes: 230 59.7%
  • Team no ammo

Votes: 155 40.3%

• Total voters

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, ERA. Remember us?

Light Beam ammo and Dark Beam ammo. Two splotches of imperfection on what is otherwise the best Metroid Prime game.

Don't fight me on this. It's the truth.

For the uninitiated: In Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, the Light Beam, Dark Beam, and Annihilator Beam use ammo. These appear as drops from enemies and crates, like missile and health pickups. Killing an enemy with one beam increases the chance of it dropping ammo for the opposite beam. The Annihilator Beam uses one unit of Light and Dark ammo. If you run out of ammo, you have to charge the beams to fire the beam.

This adds an element of ammo management to the game, but in reality you end up using the Power Beam for much of the game and only using the other beams when you really need to.

A remaster of Echoes would probably just be a graphical overhaul, but if you could choose, would you get rid of beam ammo?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think the best option would probably be to just make it an option. Maybe keep ammo on by default since that's how the game was originally designed, but include a setting in the menu for making it so you have unlimited ammo if you want it to work like the rest of the series.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked that killing enemies with one ammo type gave you ammo for the other type.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The Annihilator beam is too powerful to not have ammo

Just leave it the way it is

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
they would probably leave it intact, but they should ditch it. it does little for combat because every boss ends up having something for you to kill just to get more ammo. just be done with it and streamline that aspect.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything retro added to the series after prime 1 makes the games worse (see:this ammo), just reinforces for me that the reason prime 1 is goated is because it's essentially 3D Super Metroid.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Dark World draining your health/recovering in light was the more annoying mechanic imo

Well that and the key system for the bosses

Leave it; Prime 2 is Prime 2 no matter which way you slice it

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's more interesting to keep those design wrinkles that Prime 2 had. Rather than sanding down the edges and not really replacing it with anything.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It'll stay. I don't see them making any change that major to a remaster.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not, it's extremely easy to refill on ammo and if you didn't have it, you'd be way too OP

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hell na. It's a big part of the game's identity.

I don't even think that a remaster should neglect to include Metroid Prime 2's weird little multiplayer suite. So I sure as hell don't want them messing with the ammo system.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Just make it so that the power beam can drop ammo for both beams. That's honestly the main issue with the system since you essentially have to waste ammo to get back the other ammo type.

It'll make it so that there's a limit to using your other beams while also encouraging you to use them and making it so you never feel like you're wasting ammo.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Dark World draining your health/recovering in light was the more annoying mechanic imo

Well that and the key system for the bosses

Leave it; Prime 2 is Prime 2 no matter which way you slice it
Yeah, I don't remember every really having an issue with ammo management in 2, but the "poison" mechanic in the dark world between those safe domes sucked. It's too important a mechanic to change, but it was just more irritating to me than anything.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Once you get the first ammo expansions ammo basically becomes a non-issue.

Speaking of which, what do you suggest would replace the ammo expansions in the game should ammo no longer be a thing, OP? Just more missile expansions? That sounds boring.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
No, just leave the gameplay alone. Remasters/graphical remakes should not be trying to "fix" the underlying game, even if it wasn't necessarily good to begin with.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they already make some changes to the Trilogy release of the game? I imagine those would carry over

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily want another Metroid with that mechanic but Prime 2 is its own thing so wouldn't want to lose part of its identity. Keep it faithful.

Leave it in. For better or worse the entire experience was tuned around ammo drop rates. Removing them entirely would either throw the whole thing off, or require a lot of rebalancing. Which would in turn throw the experience off.

Oct 27, 2017
Beam ammo is not the reason this game isn't that fun compared to others in the series.

Hint: This is a series about exploration. What are the mechanics in Metroid Prime 2 that actively encourage/discourage exploration?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a trivial thing I don't know why you would remove it. Just adds another risk vs reward layer to the exploration.

kohlmannj

Oct 28, 2021
Manhattan, NY
Didn't they already make some changes to the Trilogy release of the game? I imagine those would carry over

Metroid Prime Trilogy made some much needed balancing tweaks to some bosses in Prime 2 (*cough* Boost Guardian). Metroid Prime Remastered is based on the Trilogy release, so it's safe to assume we'd get those same tweaks. Doubt we'd get any changes to ammo system. Power Beam ammo drops might help, as moustascheman suggested above, but if I were on the team at Retro, I wouldn't want to touch this.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm playing Prime for the first time now and this wounds really good. Will add a slight layer of difficulty that the game could use.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Ammo management in a Metroid game?

no thanks
it's always existed in some form thanks to missiles, power bombs and occasionally super missiles, and that rarely rubs up against people the way that prime 2's beam ammo did

i think part of it is how important attacking enemies with the correct beams are that makes it feel terrible, your power beam is just a pea shooter by comparison if you're trying to kill a dark enemy without the light beam

senj

Nov 6, 2017
should they break the balance of the game by removing a fundamental mechanic that wasn't really ever a problem anyway?

nah

Spliced-Up

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a weirdo that actually likes Prime 2 the most. I honestly wouldn't change a thing about it. Things like the ammo and health draining add friction to the game that add strategy in how you approach combat and plan your routes through the world. I understand why some people are turned off by them though. Ideally there would be an accessibility option for both.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I'd personally prefer them to just remove the light world/dark world entirely along with the ammo. I effectively would just prefer MP2 to be a very different game, instead of one I almost really like but find very frustrating.

I would settle for a menu toggle though, might make it a bit less frustrating.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
They made it so trivial to get ammo that might as well go all the way and make it unlimited. We already know what going the other way, making ammo more scarce would do by the perception that it's better to use the power beam to tickle enemies instead of cycling between Light and Dark beams.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
They should keep the have exactly the same whether people like it or not. Just like Prime 1.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
This adds an element of ammo management to the game, but in reality you end up using the Power Beam for much of the game and only using the other beams when you really need to.
Beam ammo isn't the problem. This mindset is.

You get lots of dark ammo by using the light beam, and you get lots of light ammo by using the dark beam. So it should be obvious that you're supposed to fire both of them a lot, rather than picking one favorite. You can use both beams with impunity, as long as you use both.

But, as always, there are a lot of players who see any kind of limit on a resource and always immediately decide that they're supposed to never use it.

Oct 25, 2017
It could be tweaked, but I don't think getting rid of it would be a great idea.

Easy change, ammo could be dropped by power beam.

Or you could have ammo recharge automatically over time. When you use power beam it charges both, but slower. Use dark or light, and it charges the other beam faster.