• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Animal Crossing feature voice acting?

• Yes

Votes: 62 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,175 95.0%

• Total voters

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
No thanks. The gibberish is charming.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
No. The "animalese" is now a part of the artistic direction and adds to the "feel" of the franchise as much as the art style itself does. There was a reason why they kept Nook's portions of the direct in animalese.

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I would never ever play it ever again.
Voice acting in games should be cutscene only anyways. I read waaaaay faster than people can talk.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
No as I feel the funds needed for getting voice actors in multiple languages would be spent on just about any other feature.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
...is it even possible to make it fully voice accted?

Like aren't some of the dialogue generated on the spot?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd have Link voice acted by literally anyone before I have to listen to voice acting for Tom Nook and K.K Slider.

And I absolutely do not want Link to be voiced either.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Why the heck do so many people complain about Pokémon not getting VA and then freak out when someone mentions it for AC??

I swear y'all don't know what you want.

(for the record VA would ruin both series equally)

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people think voice acting improves dialogue in games somehow? I feel AC gibberish talk is very AC, it's an element that keeps it special and unique from other games. The fact that they've also created different tones between villagers and NPC's is also pretty cool. It's definitely something that I don't EVER want changed in the game, there's absolutely no need for it to be changed.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
70f44abff40a55aff0bb37a200bea73f.png

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I have the same view on this as I do with Pokemon.

As in: No. Hearing Pikachu and Eevee say their name is still sad to me.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Animalese is so darn charming but also part of the core identity of the series. It would be like swapping out the Animals for all humans or something.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make it optional and everyone is happy
Not sure that would work. As AC has a *massive* amount of dialogue. If they recorded all of it it would result In a much larger file to contain diaouloge for every language and not to mention they'd almost certainly cut down on the amount of dialogue.

So it'd just make those who don't want this far less happy lol.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
since the last direct i was wondering how voice acting would sound with this game.

then i watched the op video.

turns out i hate it.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Noooope.

Its weird voice acting is probably the entirety of its charm.

Edit:
Yeahhhh... Just watched the video in the OP and I couldn't even get 2 seconds in.

Oct 27, 2017
Why the heck do so many people complain about Pokémon not getting VA and then freak out when someone mentions it for AC??

I honestly don't get why people are so adamant about VA in the first place. And I agree w you, it would ruin both series (and many more, imo).

banter

Jan 12, 2018
1) No
2) No
3) No
4) it'd be really expensive going from zero voice acting to voicing ~384 unique characters for all of the possible strings of dialogue.
5) No

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

It's completely different. Pokémon is a JRPG with cutscenes and a long standing anime that made people used to it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Probably because they're entirely different games?

Most of Animal Crossing's dialog relies heavily on player inputted words and random items from the game that are generated on the fly

Pokemon is 99% hard coded text with only minimal references to the player's name every so often

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
The practically unintelligible synthesized voices are part of the charm, I think. So no.