• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I'd like them to do something new or to rejuvenate something old. A lot of the Souls formula is getting played out for me and I felt the Souls aspects of Sekiro were a weaker part of that game. I wish it leaned harder into Tenchu.

Bring back Kuon, Otogi, Chromehounds, Ninja Blade or Armoured Core.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Nah they should make what they want, if that means only Souls games i'd be fine with it tho.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
If you look at most of the criticism towards Sekiro it basically boils down to 'it's not soulsy enough'.

Would From becoming a kind of Souls factory which only makes souls games spare people from the disappointment of the next From game not being Soulsy enough?

I like their visual flair and creature design, maybe they should do some kind of party RPG?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not.
If anything, they should move even further away from the Souls formula than they did with Sekiro, as that was some of the worst aspects of it.

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't the first game bomb?
Kindasortamaybeabsolutely. But it seems like the friends I've known online the longest all played that game, so there's still a market. Plus I feel like name recognition aline would improve a sequel's sales, and I'm sure their improvements in game design would make a better title overall.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Obviously not. Why would anyone want to limit a developer to just making the same tired sequels until the end of time especially when they've just released a game that both honours the sensibilities of the Souls games while also delivering something fresh, innovative and engaging.

As far as I understand it the biggest gripe people have with the game isn't its differences to Souls, but its overwhelming difficulty, something it very much shares in common with its predecessors.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Kindasortamaybeabsolutely. But it seems like the friends I've known online the longest all played that game, so there's still a market. Plus I feel like name recognition aline would improve a sequel's sales, and I'm sure their improvements in game design would make a better title overall.
I do remember reviewers getting that game wrong. They looked it as a single player game mostly. This is in the infancy of console online gaming too.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
As a fan of their pre-Demon Souls works, I'm a bit sad they're currently stuck in making the same genre over and over again.
I hope their next project will be different.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
No, they should move one IMO, and Sekiro is the right step. It shares the strong points of the Souls games (world design, art direction, demanding gameplay) but changes the focus to stealth/action. I would like to see something even more different in the near future.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Should the Armored Core people throw away their creativity and sink to focusing exclusively on one of the jankiest, most overrated franchises in gaming? No, no they shouldn't.

Aggressively bad idea there, OP.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
While I still think Bloodborne is Froms best game, Sekiro is is just as good as anything else they've released. I'm all for them experimenting with different games.

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
I do remember reviewers getting that game wrong. They looked it as a single player game mostly. This is in the infancy of console online gaming too.
It didn't help that the whole "capture comm towers to communicate with teammates" mechanic most of the MP was built around was rendered completely useless with the introduction of the party and private chat systems. Plus most of the maps were pretty bland too.

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
It's radically different. Only things in common are that there's "bonfires" and that progression mainly happens by defeating bosses.
And that you have an estus and the way you interact with NPCs and general story telling.
For me it counts as a souls game. Te only major thing is the replacement of most stats by skills

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
If you look at most of the criticism towards Sekiro it basically boils down to 'it's not soulsy enough'.

My only criticism of Sekiro would be that the setting and the mood aren't as good and a bit more vanilla than what they did in their previous games. The combat is utterly brilliant however.

I think From should do what From feels like doing. If all they want to make is more Souls games for the rest of their days, cool. If they wanna do something else, that's great as well. I just hope they keep making games that are as good as they've been making them for the last ten years. What an incredible run for a studio.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
No, in fact it's kind of amazing how they managed to make 5 games of the same style one after the other without running it into the ground and with people still asking for more.

Anyway, where's a new Cookie & Cream at?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Im confused. Isnt Sekiro a souls game?

It has roots very far in Souls games as From likes to reuse assets, animations, code etc. Their games are very iterative as they learn what works and what doesn't. Sekiro plays differently and doesn't have the RPG elements but its Souls heritage is still underneath it all. I think it's a fantastic new direction and I can't wait for a DLC or sequel.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
I much prefer Dark Souls 3 over Bloodborne or Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice but From Software should do whatever they would like to do. I'll simply buy the ones I like and not buy the ones I don't.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for them to do a new mech game - my preference being Chromehounds 2 - but I'm not sure how they'd capitalize on the strength of layered, intricate worlds while still also having it feel like the player is in a very large walking tank and not just a robotic person.

Also, can we take a second and appreciate just how long they've been around? Apparently they started in *1986*. That's some late blooming right there.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I hugely prefer souls/bb over sekiro but I'm not the centre of the universe. They should make whatever they want.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not, Sekiro is a great game and was never meant to be a Souls style RPG; From should continue making what they want to make. As much as I love the Souls games I fell in love with From Software because of their diverse catalog of games before Souls blew up. Tenchu Z, Ninja Blade, Armored Core, Enchanted Arms, Lost Kingdoms, Otogi, Kuon, King's Field, 3D Dot Game Heroes and so on. They're sitting on a treasure trove of IP and other genres I'd love for them to return to.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Give us Bloodborne 2 and then they can do whatever they want.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I would love to see them continue exploring new possibilities / IP. Dark Souls & Bloodborne are great of course, and I'm sure they'll make their return. But Sekiro has me excited for something even more divergent in the future.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new Armored Core / Chromehounds title from the modern FromSoft either, if they were to refresh some of their other IP.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, they should branch out. I already love the different choices they made for Sekiro. I'd like to see them go even further away form this model in the future.

They can always return to a Soulsborne title later for guaranteed money to keep afloat.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No and Sekiro (Tenchu) proves that. I really want to see From diversify more again, bring back things like Chrome Hounds, Otogi, Metal Wolf Chaos, Lost Kingdoms, 3D Dot Game Heroes, etc. 5 Soulsbornes in a row were enough for awhile.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
It's radically different. Only things in common are that there's "bonfires" and that progression mainly happens by defeating bosses.

To those not as intimately engaged with the nuance of different FromSoft games, Sekiro is very much a Souls game. A different take, sure, but a Souls game nonetheless. This "drastically different" business is an exaggeration. I think the OP is splitting hairs and has based on his/her argument on false assumptions regarding Sekiro's reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.