• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
After the Direct, it just shows how huge of a game Super Smash Bros Ultimate will be, where do they go from here? Do you think instead of making new Smash games, they just keep updating this Smash with new characters, stages, music, etc and then once Switch 2 releases, port it to that and continue updating.

Sakurai said he won't be able to make a game like Ultimate again after this, so is this the best solution?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I mean, I'm all for it. Keeping the game under Ultimate and allowing it to continuously be expanded with DLC characters would be great.
Cause quite honestly, my mind isn't even on "what's next?" for Smash after this since we haven't even gotten this but even that thought alone is just too much to handle when this game is THIS big

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Thats probably what will happen, although if Ultimate putters out and doesnt make the waves that Nintendo wanted it to they will probably go back to the drawing board for a 6th release.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
I say no... let everything be done at launch and give Sakurai his Sabbath. Then he can work on something new if he feels like it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have no reason to believe they're not giving it at least a year of post-launch support.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was unsure before but when I look at the quality of the official renders vs. the in-game models, it'd be awesome if Nintendo's next system manages to achieve that level of fidelity.

I don't really see why they should go back either, it's not like Smash Bros. really needs to fundamentally change its mechanics from game-to-game since each new character feels totally fresh anyways

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah! Update Ultimate with new content until it's no longer reasonable to do so. It'll be the "definitive" Smash game until the end of time. From there, Nintendo can and should honestly just do some kind of new direction for the series. Nothing can top Ultimate in terms of content.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the true GaaS. Make it the platform for future Smash Bros. Update it for the entire Switch lifetime. Then port it to the next console. Never stop. Just keep adding, never removing.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I was saying this before.

What could they possibly do after this game? I guess keep adding brand new characters and stages but they can just do that with Ultimate add-ons.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's hit critical mass. I can't see how you meaningfully iterate on this game.

103 godamned stages

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Let Sakurai move on and pour his heart and soul into something else for a change.

Kid Icarus Uprising was still one of my top 3 favorite Nintendo games ever.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they'll make a new one on their next console, probably 5 or so years from now.

Why? Because they like making money.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's fairly obvious they will continue to update Ultimate for the remainder of the Switch's lifespan which is comfortably about 5-6 more years. After that, I also think it's quite obvious that the franchise will be rebooted, with a much smaller cast and conventions changed.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. People are going to be disappointed if the next game has less content, so might as well just add content more content to Ultimate and polish it up and treat it as a new entry for the future titles.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
the only way to top this would be a heavy remake of the formula. even the Final Smash meter was made an optional rather than a new mechanic.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
This I'm content with

Not necessarily characters, music, balance patches, can be added by a small team following the game and its online.
Sure, but balance patches and music wouldn't be significant support. People would be expecting DLC characters, stages, etc, and I don't think it would make sense without Sakurai.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Give us a year or two of DLC support. Then, for the next console, release a new version with all that DLC packed in, another character or two, and some touched up graphical. Them another year or two of DLC.

And just rinse and repeat in perpetuity.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I don't think so because people would eventually get bored of the foundation of Smash Ultimate. Every game needs an upheaval every once in a while and Smash is no different. Ultimate might seem hard to top but I guarantee it's possible and will happen within however many years.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
the best way would be then keep releasing updates, then compile em for the next gen, upgrade em and re-release it, rinse and repeat till the game gets too big to be ported :p and Nintendo makes an Smash only console

when we get to 100 Characters and 150 Stages, make the game into a Service :p

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Well ... they should, or rather have to, build upon Ultimate. There ... so ... much ... content, it's insane. After the Direct i had me asking how they will ever top this, i think the Easy Allies or another video about the Direct on Youtube had the perfect quote:

"Videogames - The Game"

Realistically, you can only fine tune the content and add fitting content, the biggest improvements should be on the technical side, i'd say.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
I just want Kid Icarus Uprising 2

Leave Smash Bros alone for a while and just update Ultimate.

silby

Oct 27, 2017
I think Smash Ultimate will be the supported Smash Bros game indefinitely. The forward+backward compatible future, as mentioned above, seems very likely to be Nintendo's strategy going forward. (It was already part of their 3DS strategy, and while the marketing was mysterious it more or less worked out.) I'd expect whatever follows Ultimate to be a significantly rethought game, with a smaller roster of completely redesigned characters. (e: That is, if there there ever is a "new game" successor, it won't be Ultimate + even more stuff, it'll be a brand new experience.)

SartrG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash as a service tied to the Nintendo online subscription thing would be an interesting offering.
But yeah, I'd love them to continue updating the game with new content during all of the Switch's lifespan, even if said content is tied to the subscription or is paid.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
iirc Sakurai said in some interview that instead of building on Smash 4's foundation and going for the "everyone is here" angle, he could've started from scratch and made some major changes, but there would only be about a third as many fighters. He also said "everyone is here" can only happen once. So I assume next time they're gonna go with the start from scratch thing.

Re-releasing updated versions of the same game over and over would be boring. It's cool that they were able to pull off getting every fighter in the series history together, but I'd also be interested in seeing what a series reboot would look like, and it's not like anything is stopping people from going back to Ultimate if they don't like it.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think the next Smash - which won't be for YEARS - will be a complete reboot, back to like 12 people, and completely different somehow.

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
iirc Sakurai said in some interview that instead of building on Smash 4's foundation and going for the "everyone is here" angle, he could've started from scratch and made some major changes, but there would only be about a third as many fighters. He also said "everyone is here" can only happen once. So I assume next time they're gonna go with the start from scratch thing.

Re-releasing updated versions of the same game over and over would be boring. It's cool that they were able to pull off getting every fighter in the series history together, but I'd also be interested in seeing what a series reboot would look like, and it's not like anything is stopping people from going back to Ultimate if they don't like it.

Hmm, then maybe they should have 2 Smash games for Switch 2. Ultimate and a Reboot.

Oct 27, 2017
Given that short time between Smash Wii U/3DS (even shorter if you consider the last DLC update to be the end release date for this game), and also that I imagine Nintendo won't be moving onto a new console in two years (like they did with the Wii U after Smash Wii U/3DS released), it definitely seems like they will support this game for a very long time. Heck, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still getting DLC updates and what looks to be more to come. I'd say for as long as the Switch's lifetime goes, more Smash Ultimate updates are plausible.

Knowing Sakurai though, it does bring up the questions "who?" will continue doing the updates. I bet he'll probably want to work on a non-Smash Bros game with his team at Sora Ltd. not long after Ultimate comes out. If that's the case, I think it'll fall on Namco Bandai's hands as to whether to continue coming up with new content for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.