The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish automated driving wasn't a fantasy, I think it'd be a huge help to the elderly, even better assists. Auto braking, lane keep, rear view cameras, auto parking, I think those things will all help.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Nope, but our society isn't setup for folks to get around without a car, so they need to drive. It's getting worse as I see old people driving massive SUVs now. They can barely see as it is and now they have an even smaller sightline to see in front of them.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
They should be tested with increasing frequency as they get older. Both a medical and a driver's ed test.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Cant wait til every car is auto drive. Transit times will nosedive, safety will be top-notch, and i can do whatever the shit i want in relative privacy.

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018
rosebud13.png

Cant wait til every car is auto drive. Transit times will nosedive, safety will be top-notch, and i can do whatever the shit i want in relative privacy.
hush-puppies.jpg

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
yeah, and old people tend to pay the lowest in car insurance because they're usually the least dangerous, least risky drivers on the road.

The things that people freak out about old drivers tends usually to be the things that aren't even dangerous. Going 29 in a 30mph zone, and there's a line of people behind the pissed and mad that they're driving *better* than the person going 44 in a 30mph. I do this too, I'm not immune to it. I see an old dude pulling out of a parking lot taking ... 15 seconds... and I'm thinking like "Jesus christ gramps get off the road" assuming that's bad driving, when in reality, my kid is simultaneously taking my attention away freaking out about spilling her juice and *THAT'S* the risky driving behavior, my situation, not the old dude.

I don't think the answer is easy. I used to think it was. "Old people should have to retake a drivers test at 65!" or whatever. In reality, if one of them fails that test, we may as well tell them to go die.

It might get better. I think app-based car services help this. Automated driving, if it ever exists, might be a real lifeline here. I'd like to say public transportation but for a tremendous amount of elderly people in the US, it's just not a realistic option and won't be for quite a while.
This isn't entirely true, insurance rates tend to go up once a driver turns 60.

Statistically though, there really isn't much to support that old drivers pose significant risk to others. As they get older, they tend to steer clear of highways / interstates and drive much, much less. The system around reporting at risk drivers when faced with medical conditions like decreased cognitive or motor ability needs to improved and perhaps a consistent criteria for more rigorous tests other than eye sight for license renewal. With that said, losing your license is a crippling loss of freedom and many elderly do not cope well in test scenarios regardless of whether they're competent drivers or not.

There ultimately is no easy solution to this problem, if you want to call it that when speed and drug impairment are by far the largest contributors to mortality rates, neither of which are a common problem in that age group.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Not being able to drive anymore is a devastating loss of freedom for the elderly so I don't think making decisions about that is something people should do callously or lightly.

That said, I'm fine with more comprehensive testing at a point.

And I'm guessing the statistics about who causes more accidents - people under 20 and people over 80 - would be enlightening for people saying that it's super clear that old people shouldn't drive. Could just as easily make the argument about young people.
Yup, agreed with all of this

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
A lot of people shouldn't drive. I work at a car wash and the dumb shit I see on a daily basis still shocks me. And ERA if you just take one thing I say to heart it's this; if you see a Porsche on the road for the love of fuck get away from it cause none of the fuckers can drive

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Yes, but there should at least be a refresher course, even just a day with an instructor once past the age of 70 or so. I feel like something as small as that would make a big difference.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
No, I have seen so many close calls and accidents from old people including members of my family. I have had an old lady reverse into me despite her car having a backup camera and parking sensors. like she literally had to be so out of it to not notice it. And another old lady who rear ended me at a stop light not because she forgot to stop. She just decided she not waiting anymore and just start moving for unknown reason.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a larger group of old people that shouldn't be driving. Was coming up to a light the other day, an old lady w/ what should be a red kept going and abruptly stopped w/ 1/2 of her car sticking into the road. Like WTF dude.

That said plenty of younger people that shouldn't be driving either.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Depends doesn't it? The new, young drivers are the most dangerous people on the roads, but you see horrific driving across all age ranges. Health and eyesight should require revaluation, as should any incident where the age of the driver was a suspected cause.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Probably not, but it's not like public transit is any good in the U.S. due to our car centric developments, so what are they supposed to do?

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Our cities are built around cars, and public transportation can be non-existent or terrible, at least here in the US. Taking away the ability to drive severly restricts someone's life. With that said I personally wouldn't be opposed to the elderly having to retake a driving test every so often. But I don't see that happening

So I can't wait until self driving cars are everywhere.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like here especially if the driving skills assesments were required periodically for older people you would have to at least double the amount of workers at the DMV. As-is they seem barely capable of doing it just for every teenager one or two times.

Not against it of course, but things would need to change a lot to accommodate something like that.

ImBatman

May 23, 2022
After a certain age? No, but they should have some sort of accessibility benefits like free uber transport or no instacart fees.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how many people, regardless of age and already a license holder, would pass a current driving test if they had to?

My son has friends who are now on test number five. Maybe next time they'll get through, but does that mean they are good, competent drivers? probably not.

When I get old I hope I'll know when to stop. However, living where we do, in the sticks, with one bus a day, life would be hard

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Once you hit a certain age you should be required to pass a test every year afterward to keep your license.
This.

Maybe not every year, just due to logistics. But at minimum every other year.

Either way, the usual way things go now is either the family takes away their keys, or waiting for something horrible to happen to justify the state doing it. Which is not a great system.

Or I supposed they can voluntarily turn them over, but I'm guessing that's way less common.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I think so. While some are slow to react and/or near blind, the old people driving today had different standards of "good" driving in their time which (imo) shaped their habits into old age. They should be tested every 2-3 years after a certain age, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking this. Stop blaming people for the circumstances the rest of us accept as normal.
Cities as designed are also very ageist and ableist though. I can't imagine getting through some of the train stations around the world with a wheelchair.

I really wish automated driving wasn't a fantasy, I think it'd be a huge help to the elderly, even better assists. Auto braking, lane keep, rear view cameras, auto parking, I think those things will all help.
in that world i'd definitely ban teens from driving too.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Once you reach a certain age you should probably need to be tested more often, but believe it or not I deal with people and their cars at work and old people aren't objectively the worst drivers. A ton of young people are horrible drivers.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Old people should drive but it should be an incrementally more frequent expiration after a certain age. We shouldn't blanket take away rights, it needs to be performance based to meet basic requirements. Reaction time, for example.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The riskiest drivers on the road are teenage and young adult men. Test them every six months, so I don't have to do what I did last night and see about some young cat who flipped his car off the highway.

grandmastashi

Nov 6, 2017
My dad's reactions behind the wheel from 65 to 70 have been dramatic, to the point where i'm not happy about him having our kids in his car any more.

He thinks he's as good as he always has been, but the sheer amount of mistakes he makes and unnecessary risks he takes is scary.

Cars are lethal weapons in the wrong hands regardless of age so I'm totally in favour of people being made to take a competency-based test or refresher every five years.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
yeah, but they should have to retest every so often. Some people will be better than others as they get older.

The riskiest drivers on the road are teenage and young adult men. Test them every six months, so I don't have to do what I did last night and see about some young cat who flipped his car off the highway.

Problem is young people can probably pass the test, they just make the choice to drive like idiots.

Randog

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be the first to say "you want to drive, you re-certify every X months or you lose it". You know? How licensure typically works? But this country is a trash heap of shitty roads and no public transportation outside of major cities. What are you gonna do? Fund public mass transit in rural areas? Shit. We can't get that in most urban areas.

No healthcare, no communities, no transit, no nothing. As usual, they really just want you/us to disappear and die as soon as our human capital is expended.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Can pretty much guarantee old folks are not driving with one hand on wheel other hand scrolling on phone.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Also, just make them take tests more often is the kind of common sense type of solution that often fails in the real world because it disproportionately disenfranchises certain groups of people.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
As long as public transit is crap, yes they should. Just make them pass some tests more often.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
They should probably take tests, yes. My dad is 80 years old and probably drives better than half of the population on the road.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Should the idiot who nearly hit me earlier today, speeding at an estimated 120 kmh on a street with a 50 limit?

Should the criminal in his Audi SUV (the worst kind) who was trying to overtake the car in front of me on a turn with 0 visibility, and who didn't take out a whole family by pure luck?

Statistically I don't think old people are the ones causing major accidents. Some might be clumsy, slow, but they will rarely take risks. And some can drive just fine.

Heck, you know what? ONLY old people should drive. Worst that can happen, they'll hit your car while parking :P

(Retest every year, sure.)

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
People pretty consistently repeat the axiom of: "Make them take the test every <x> amount of months".

What happens when they inevitably fail? The vast majority of the US is antagonistic--at best--to the idea of public transit in any way, shape or form. So how do they get groceries? God forbid they live in an area that doesn't have grocery delivery services; Or they need something that isn't covered under those services for one reason or another.

Before we start forcing people off of the road, we need to address the fact that without their cars there is physically no way for some of these people to fulfill even their most basic of needs. Even then, I'm not too sure how safe a lot of elderly people would feel on public transit with the reputation it has in the States.

Oct 30, 2017
Not being able to drive anymore is a devastating loss of freedom for the elderly so I don't think making decisions about that is something people should do callously or lightly.

That said, I'm fine with more comprehensive testing at a point.

And I'm guessing the statistics about who causes more accidents - people under 20 and people over 80 - would be enlightening for people saying that it's super clear that old people shouldn't drive. Could just as easily make the argument about young people.
Under twenty is a very dangerous time, yeah, exceeded in rates of fatal crashes by... People over eighty.

cereza

May 3, 2023
This thread is actually about "should we redesign our cities and shift our funding priorities so that the elderly can navigate it without being required to operate a motor vehicle?"

I'm glad some others have pointed that out, but it's also disappointing to see the majority not have any second thoughts when just casually saying we should take away freedom entirely from others.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Over ~80 you should be required to do a driving test every year.

I've seen enough older folk on the roads that have no business still driving, it's a matter of time before they hurt themselves or someone else.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but only conditionally. And that condition being they need to keep passing some sort of mental cognitive and aptitude tests every few years after you hit a specific age limit.