Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The problem with mormonism (imo) is where authority is invested, i.e., in the men and elders of the community which reinforces power structures which overlooks abuse.

If you made it so a polygamous/polygynous union needs to submit to a broader external authority, I don't want to say police, but maybe an institution of "marriage cops" who also employ social workers, it would cut down on the amount of abuse.

Maybe.

That's my thought anyway.
I meannnnn... If we've already come to the point where we're seeing a need for "marriage cops", then maybe we should be asking ourselves if there's anything wrong with the concept inherently.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
This guy had all his lovers inject themselves to enhance their nuts. One died not too long ago.

Jus saying it's silly to imply only one sexual orientation is to blame for abusive/problematic poly relationships. The whole thing is rife with abuse potential no matter who you are.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It should be legal in the way a libertarian utopia *should* be a thing: it should be the case that normal people can be trusted to act with honor and integrity in their daily lives such that there don't need to be rules and enforcement in order to ensure society doesn't devolve into chaos. What we find time and time again, though, is it doesn't really work out that way so we need to regulate shit and have law and order.

It should be the case that adults should be able to do what they want to do, so long as it's all consensual. What you tend to find in these communities, however, is rampant abuse. And "not all polygamists!" is a thing too, but the sex cult insanity that is the FLDS church and the other various spawn of Joseph Smith's debauchery should be shot into the sun.

Polyamory, or whatever other lifestyles that adults want to have with other adults...sure...whatever...but institutional polygamy based on religious edicts and such? Fuck no. And I say that as a product of such arrangements several generations ago.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
This guy had all his lovers inject themselves to enhance their nuts. One died not too long ago.

Jus saying it's silly to imply only one sexual orientation is to blame for abusive/problematic poly relationships. The whole thing is rife with abuse potential no matter who you are.
I was not aware of this. That's messed up.

Okay, banned for gay men too. Polygamy is Lesbians only.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I meannnnn... If we've already come to the point where we're seeing a need for "marriage cops", then maybe we should be asking ourselves if there's anything wrong with the concept inherently.
We need cops just to break up domestic disputes between people in monogamous marriages.

Dismantling Fundamentalist Mormonism as a culture group is a radically different task than "should there exist a classification of 'marriage' for poly unions?"

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a relationship between consenting adults, I don't see why it matters how many people are involved.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
this applies to all marriages, not just polygamous marriages?

I don't think that male supremacy is remotely commensurate in non-polygamous communities to polygamous communities, no. For sure, there is male supremacy in non-polygamist communities (e.g., the country at large), but not to the degree that is common in most polygamous communities that are well documented.

But the rest of my post that you cut out went onto say, maybe my perception of this is skewed by the many high-profile cases of widespread sexual abuse, spousal abuse, and child abuse that takes place in the relatively tiny amount of polygamous communities that there are in North America.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
We need cops just to break up domestic disputes between people in monogamous marriages.

Dismantling Fundamentalist Mormonism as a culture group is a radically different task than "should there exist a classification of 'marriage' for poly unions?"
The problem is that this "fundamentalist mormonism" type of polygamy is a far larger part of the entire culture than you might think, to the point where it's probably the norm. That was more so my point.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, all consenting adult relationships should be legal.

I also agree with posts in here calling for the legal aspect of marriage to be removed.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I think any argument against it could be used against the type of legal marriage we have now.

I wouldn't be in one, but I don't see why others shouldn't be able to.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
No. Historically speaking, polygamy is an extremely troublesome concept to begin with, and rife with abuse. I'm glad you all like your open relationship or whatever, but that's not how this stuff plays out in (I'm willing to bet) most cases.

Yeah there is plenty of precedent to suggest this is not a good idea that one would want institutionalized. Men usually are the ones benefitting from open relationships or harem style arrangements. Almost every cult you can think of started with some eerily similar circumstances and power dynamic.

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll say this, the term "sister-wife" skeeves me out more than anything I've heard in a long while.

As others before me have pointed out, it sounds great in theory but the realities of allowing polygamy are a biiiig nope from me, dawg.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
There's an interesting dichotomy around polygamy where it seems in the poly circles it's sort of presented as being open minded, free thinking, and liberal; but then where it is legal, most of the practicing countries are very conservative and patriarchal. Note that most of the countries where it is legal it is only polygyny that is legal (one man many wives), polyandry is illegal basically everywhere.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
In most situations these aren't really consensual. It's super hard to police due to the fear the husbands keep the wives in.
Most? I would like to see stats for that, I would imagine that there is a lot of fear and pressure in "regular" marriages as well
yeah it's a free country (supposedly)

what about a sister and brother marrying each other? or two brothers? Yes i went there.
Two same sex siblings would be more acceptable than 2 straight siblings marrying eachother but thats only due to assumed genetic defects of the child. IDK the actual stats of that
Most important. Most.

:P
Yeah family members having sex and getting married is gross to me but that doesn't mean it should be illegal. I do agree that legal status should be removed from marriage though.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
y'all always on about this is a free country so sure why not i ain't into it but fuck it

you do you breh

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's an interesting dichotomy around polygamy where it seems in the poly circles it's sort of presented as being open minded, free thinking, and liberal; but then where it is legal, most of the practicing countries are very conservative and patriarchal. Note that most of the countries where it is legal it is only polygyny that is legal (one man many wives), polyandry is illegal basically everywhere.
Yeah it is ironic. The practice predates most modern legal codes so you have liberal poly relations on one hand and illiberal forced harems on the other hand protected by freedom of religion.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
You need "marriage cops" for current marriages too! Most industrialized countries have governmental organisations responsible for famliy matters.

Indeed™

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2019
Forced Prenups on joining the Marital Union.

A judge can toss those right out the window on a whim. They're worth their weight in wishful thinking.

And yah, imagine divorce proceedings. If you are all married, and there is a child involved who get custody? Who pays child support? This is a giant mess waiting to happen. Fuck that noise.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not for me, but I have no problem with three or more consenting adults doing it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Marriage as it is defined now shouldn't be a legal matter anyway, all the legal matters like custody, property ownership, households for tax purposes, etc. shouldn't be tied to such a narrow understanding of family structure, so by that measure sure I suppose. Currently the support structure needed for such polygamist unions to be common does not exist, and given the way they often devolve into abusive situations, I don't think it's wise to support a move like that at the current time. But I suppose you have to get started from somewhere and without the push for legalization/normalization of the practice those support structures may not be built, making it a bit of an chicken and egg situation

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yeah. polgamists ruined this. gonna need receipts of this utopian multi husband/wife family that doesn't become chaos.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If people want to be polygamists then there's no issue with that, but if anything we should just dissolve the governmentially approved union of marriage. It serves no purpose in the modern world. The benefits awarded to married couples should be awarded to couples also.
I can't see how that wouldn't be exploited.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
A judge can toss those right out the window on a whim. They're worth their weight in wishful thinking.

And yah, imagine divorce proceedings. If you are all married, and there is a child involved who get custody? Who pays child support? This is a giant mess waiting to happen. Fuck that noise.
Then make them legal. Write laws, templates and rules that a standard prenup agreement has to follow to be binding. Make it contain language that the written law superceeds all agreements. Point being that written law as stands doesn't support this. So something will have to change to enable this. And a more codified prenup designed more as a Union contract could do wonders to support such a construct.

Manjaster

Aug 23, 2018
No, this is bad for women as a single man could have multiple girls at a time, resulting in toxic competition between they.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be curious to know how the relationship would actually work. Are the individuals all married to one person, or are all of the people married to one another? If there's a marriage of, say, 5 people, am I married to all 4 of the others? Can I marry only some of them? Divorce only some of them? Maybe it would instead be like becoming a member of some legally recognized entity, like an LLC? And there would be an operating agreement type document that identifies what the members' duties are and what happens when someone withdraws. Seems like there would be a lot to work out.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I got it. Legalize polyandry first and make the misogynists really upset.

Last edited:

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Is there some way, any way, to stamp out abuse issues within polygamous relationships?

Based on my research, polygamy is essentially inherently abusive whether overtly, subconsciously, or otherwise. Obviously cultural relativism plays into things as well, but given that no other civilized country seems to allow any form of polygamy, it seems plain that it is not the preferred method of behaviour:

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
It's definitely not my thing but I'm not opposed to it being legal. If all sides are consensual, consenting adults, go for it!

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
given that no other civilized country seems to allow any form of polygamy, it seems plain that it is not the preferred method of behaviour
I'll just chime in to say that this is likely due to to proliferation of Christianity and Christian monogamy, not because various societies weighed the pros and cons of monogamy and decided monogamy was the way to go.

I'm not saying all poly unions in history were abuse free but the ones that existed were often stamped out by the spread of Christiandom.

Anyway it's not like monogamous unions are abuse free either. The problem of spousal abuse and the problem of union structure are two separate issues in my mind.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'll just chime in to say that this is likely due to to proliferation of Christianity and Christian monogamy, not because various societies weighed the pros and cons of monogamy and decided monogamy was the way to go.

I'm not saying all poly unions in history were abuse free but the ones that existed were often stamped out by the spread of Christiandom.

Anyway it's not like monogamous unions are abuse free either. The problem of spousal abuse and the problem of union structure are two separate issues in my mind.
In 2000, the United Nations Human Rights Committee reported that polygamy violates the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), citing concerns that the lack of "equality of treatment with regard to the right to marry" meant that polygamy, restricted to polygyny in practice, violates the dignity of women and should be outlawed.[136] Specifically, the reports to UN Committees have noted violations of the ICCPR due to these inequalities[137] and reports to the General Assembly of the UN have recommended it be outlawed.[138][139] Many Muslim states are not signatories of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), including Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Malaysia, Brunei, Oman, and South Sudan; therefore the UN treaty doesn't apply to these countries.[140]

I don't think it's a religious argument.