• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
How important would PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 backwards compatibility on PlayStation 5 be for you?

And is it something Sony should do? (As in would it benefit them enough if they were to implement it?)

I think it would be a big deal to be able to play all those games especially if they could be boosted resolution + frame rate wise. But there's a fair amount of evidence that it's more work than it's worth for console makers.

I think it's fairly realistic to think we might see classic downloadable titles, similar to PS2 on PS4 titles. But physical support seems unlikely. Is that something Sony should support?

I tried searching for similar recent threads, but came up empty.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it would be nice, but ultimately not worth the investment.

But I'd love to have every PS1-2-3 game available on PSN to buy.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
There is literally no reason any consumer should say no.

Is it something Sony should do though is a completely different question. I don't think BC is all that beneficial and I do think theres an argument it actually hurts sales. PS4 and Switch didn't have it and it didn't hurt sales at all, because when you buy a new system you're forced to buy new games.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
It is for me. I find it unacceptable they can't get even PS1 and PS2 games working. PS3 I understand if they can't get it, but the other two are a clear missing feature for people like me. I already don't plant to get a PS5 at launch, and if they don't have a good solution for BC I might postpone my purchase even further.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
No, they shouldn't. Please make me buy all these games again because I'm such a sucker for spending money.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Absolutely.

I'd love to see comprehensive backward compatibility, with support for the physical discs as well as previously purchased digital downloads.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Absolutely. The first thing they should do is remove the ps2 trophy requirement, and make all digital ps1, and ps2 tittles compatible on day 1.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I don't want to keep buying games over and over.

I have PS1 classics that were purchased on PS3 that are stuck there. Would be lovely if they worked on PS5.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but don't go expecting everything works for PS2 and PS3 games.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Yes, but they wont

they'd rather the individual companies invest in remakes, or do the remakes themselves

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they do, I want backwards compatibility to work on as many systems as possible

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
If they can do it, then yes, but if they can't then I'm not going to pretend to care. I mean it's a nice feature but I'm buying a ps5 to play ps5 games

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People seem to think that Sony should be able include some magical, low-cost disc laser that'll read 4 generations worth of discs while not ballooning the price of the PS5.

That's nice.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Should they? Yes.
Will then? No

And I don't blame them, the return on investment wouldn't be there. It would be a nice gesture to the fan base but not likely to be a core feature that makes or breaks the platform.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
People seem to think that Sony should be able include some magical, low-cost disc laser that'll read 4 generations worth of discs while not ballooning the price of the PS5.

That's nice.

They can just not support discs then? I think it'd be reasonable if it supported PS1/PS2 downloads and didn't support discs.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They should but they wont.
They can just not support discs then? I think it'd be reasonable if it supported PS1/PS2 downloads and didn't support discs.
This is better than nothing but not really much of an improvement. Supporting discs to get around licensing issues is important.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me? No. The resources required to make this happen could potentially be better spent elsewhere. Also, I have no desire to play or replay games from those eras ever again.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Should? Yes, since multiple generations of backwards compatibility is one of the biggest selling points for both the Xbox One and the Series X.

Will they? Probably not, it's a non-trivial technical challenge (especially PS3) and I suspect Sony will be satisfied with just PS4 support.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
It's certainly make me want more, if the games were fairly priced. Never had PS1 and not many games on 2 so it's be nice to be able to consider them.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, yes and yes.

At least disc-based. Come on, Sony, you got the tools, you got the emulators you just NEED TO DO IIIIIIIIIIT

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if they announced PS1/PS2 back compat at the reveal, I will be hyped as shit for it. As it stands, il get a PS5 when there are some exclusives worth having, as really I just see it as more of the same games just looking better. Unless having the SSD as a baseline allows for some new ideas for games.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most UHD Blu-ray players have all the lasers already.

My point was that I have to give hardware engineers credit for being the ones who are paid to figure this shit out. If it was as simple as cramming a PS1-4 into a PS5 while keeping costs down, I'm sure they would have done that by now. We would have seen it in PS4.

There's a seriously difficult logistical and economical reason why they haven't been consistent about it with each and every generation.

Software emulation seems to be a fickle beast, from what I've seen.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
How is this a yes/no question for consumers? Of course we all are going to say that yes, they should. It would be really nice if they did.