Oct 28, 2017
The article isnt that long and I didn't think summarizing the reasoning of these scientists was going to be sufficient so you can read for yourself. But I think there are plenty of figures that we could name the next space telescope after that is a positive symbol for all people.

Webb's compliance helped the government purge many LGBTQ employees from government service. As I was reading the article the line from Clue where Mr Greene reveals he's a gay government employee now makes more sense considering the era. It's not as though Webb was the driving force behind these policies but there seems to be evidence he was involved in discussions that led to them.

Take a read and post your thoughts.

www.scientificamerican.com

The James Webb Space Telescope Needs to Be Renamed

The successor to the Hubble currently honors a man who acquiesced to homophobic government policies during the 1950s and 1960s

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I never liked the name to begin with. These types of things shouldn't be named after politicians (that's all NASA administrators are). I am sure there are plenty of actual scientists or cool ass exploration words like how they name ships and probes that could be used.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
As I understand it, it's mostly guilt by association, that no one involved in government in that time period should get recognition. I dunno that's an awfully wide net to cast. Would that include the astronauts themselves in that time period? Government scientists? Anyway I do agree with Ubik that it should be named after a scientist or scientific principle in the first place and not a politician.

OP
OP
Officer Big Mac
Oct 28, 2017
As I understand it, it's mostly guilt by association, that no one involved in government in that time period should get recognition. I dunno that's an awfully wide net to cast. Would that include the astronauts themselves in that time period? Government scientists? Anyway I do agree with Ubik that it should be named after a scientist or scientific principle in the first place and not a politician.

Unless the astronauts were responsible for setting and enforcement then I'd guess not. Going along to get along doesn't seem to be an acceptable excuse when there are perfectly fine alternatives.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know about any of this stuff. Ugh, this is gross. Yes, take every namesake away from him.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I always thought such a ginormous project deserved the name of a much bigger scientist. The Paul Dirac telescope , to make an unknown titan of science known to a wider public.

Or I don't know, I think even astronauts deserve it more. The Armstrong telescope or something.