• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we remove monuments to founding fathers?

• No, keep them up, but remove all Confederate monuments, Columbus, etc.

Votes: 458 58.6%
  • Yes, remove them all. Full stop.

Votes: 108 13.8%
  • Only remove monumens to someone with a past of racism (owning slaves, interment camps, etc.)

Votes: 164 21.0%
  • Not sure/don't care

Votes: 52 6.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Now that statues of Columbus and the Confederacy are coming down either from protestors or lawmakers, I hear a lot of people on the right saying that statues of the founding fathers will be next. But I'm thinking, should they be taken down next? You could argue that the Confederacy statues are a slam dunk because they founded a country for slavery and represent only slavery, while the founding fathers had a more complex history and did not found this country just for slavery, though either way the country was built on slave labor. Do we need monuments to slave holders? Granted, not all founding fathers owned slaves, but the Declaration of Independence makes it clear that all men were created equal, and this did not include black men or women. So where do we draw the line? Should we take down monuments to any leader that had a racist past, even FDR because of his history with internment camps?

Last edited:

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Don't get sucked into an obvious strawman. No one is going to remove a Thomas Jefferson or George Washington monument

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
That's not gonna happen. You're only going to muddy the waters going after a completely fruitless endeavour.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they DID form a country proclaiming ideals about "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" while committing genocide against one people and enslaving another (and had been doing it for 150+ years by the time we officially became a country). It seems kind of inevitable that modern society will take them to task for that at some point and decide their atrocities outweigh their contributions. Or at least that there are better figures in American history to put on money and pedestals. Whether or not that's the most logical next step this minute, I don't know.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I could see like plaques or something put up beside them to inform people of the heinous shit they did but the founding fathers are so intrinsically linked to America's identity I can't see many people supporting taking them down

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is realistic tbh. The biggest monuments to the founding fathers are the Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial and Mount Rushmore. Those won't get demolished.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a very real difference between Washington and Lee, I think, even if it's political. Even if he owned slaves, Washington had a big part in building the country; Lee attacked the US and killed American soldiers.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they DID form a country proclaiming ideals about "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" while committing genocide against one people and enslaving another (and had been doing it for 150+ years by the time we officially became a country). It seems kind of inevitable that modern society will take them to task for that at some point and decide their atrocities outweigh their contributions. Or at least that there are better figures in American history to put on money and pedestals.
I mean the question here isn't about building new monuments, but keeping old ones. Granted there is some cost for upkeep, but it's still not the same thing

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only partially conflicted

I think we need to stop Deifying historical figures as if they were somehow more amazing humans than what exists now

Why can't THIS generation or ANY generation be founders of a new way of life?

These men were not fucking gods and certainly not better than anyone else

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Confederate/Columbus? Without a shadow of a doubt.

I'd like to see some plaques/statues next to Washington and Jefferson to call out the gross hypocrisy and challenge us to do better.

Frederick Douglas needs more love.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
There is a difference between the people who founded the country, and the people who literally betrayed and declared war on the country.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, just get rid of Confederate statutes and Columbus.

For me, there's a difference between "man of their time" and someone who even in their day was fucking abhorrent. Columbus was such a shithead genocidal maniac that he was removed as Governor by the King and Queen of Spain. So, even by colonization standard he was considered out there.

Its also important to recognize what they are remembered for. Thomas Jefferson was a slave owner, but he was also a important political theorist that drafted the Declaration of Independence, became head of one of the first political parties in America, became President who purchased much of "the West," and was even an inventor. You can celebrate his accomplishments beyond his slave owning. Plus, at least his views started changing at the end of his life.

On the other hand, Columbus is literally only known for "discovering" the New World. He's celebrated for "discovering" a place where people already existed and mistaken it for the East. He can go. Confederates only claim to fame for being shithead racist, slave owning traitors. They too can go.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I mean they weren't MY founding fathers, they owned mine. I have 0 historic/emotional/appreciative connection to any of them 🤷🏾‍♂️

May 19, 2020
This will not actually happen regardless of how ERA feels about it. The kind of people you would need to support this will not get on board.

The truth is that many important historical figures were varying levels of good, bad, pieces of shit, sex maniacs, racist, stupid, egotistical and any basic level biography will tell you this. The idea is to always put that figure into context and memorialize their importance to our history while highlighting that they are not saints or gods. Jefferson can be an important figure that we remember while also remembering that he was a hypocrite that wrote about the freedom of men while owning men.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
You joke but even Lincoln wanted to send slaves to Liberia once he freed them. At the very least, we should be honest about the hypocrisy around the founding of this country instead of the utter veneration of people like Washington and Jefferson.

This will not actually happen regardless of how ERA feels about it. The kind of people you would need to support this will not get on board.

The truth is that many important historical figures were varying levels of good, bad, pieces of shit, sex maniacs, racist, stupid, egotistical and any basic level biography will tell you this. The idea is to always put that figure into context and memorialize their importance to our history while highlighting that they are not saints or gods.

I think it's cool if the US was more transparent about it. A lot of people are blind to the complexities of these figures.

Oct 25, 2017
It makes we wonder if in a couple hundred years the only people we recognize in such ways will be fictional characters whose backgrounds can be rewritten, who have no secrets aside from what the author chose them to have. It would also align with a growing reverence for pop media. But I don't think we'll always feel the same way about statues or about the people they depict.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Washington et al. were generally on the side of progress despite obvious flaws. Now, you find a statue of George Whitefield, feel free to tear that one down -- dude talked Georgia into introducing Slavery.

It would be a lot more effective to get the founding fathers off of currency, which deifies and memorializes them in ways they never should have been, and I'd wager most of them would have agreed.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect the majority to turn against the founding fathers anytime soon. It would be better to destroy and rename all the Confederate statues and street/building names first.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
There's no point on demolishing that kind of stuff imo. It won't erase what our ancestors did; instead we should learn to live with those facts that are unpleasant, and give those monuments proper context.

I think this holds true for every country with a problematic past, USA, Germany, Russia, etc. Simply removing them is hiding and turning our faces away from the truth, imo.

Because evil deeds and acts have, like it or not, a role to play in defining societies.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't the founding fathers version of equality for white men who owned land? Like they wouldn't even let women vote, let alone poc. Fuck em', they don't deserve statues

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
I'm not American so I don't have any skin in this.

I don't like turning historical figures into idols in general, so taking down all statues that represent a specific individual is fine by me.
I'm fine with more abstract stuff, like the Statue of Liberty. I'm even fine with the Washington Monument as it's less about the person and more about the institution and precedent he created (or at least that's how I interpret it, feel free to correct me).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, I think that there is a clear difference between commemorating and celebrating Jefferson Davis, a person who is only commemorated because of his support of the cause of slavery and his willingness to secede from the United States, versus someone like Thomas Jefferson... Where his historical legacy as both an advocate for basic human freedom while also owning slaves has been part of his legacy since the 1800s. The Jefferson estate does not hide or try to revise Jefferson's slave owning past, it's actually one of the primary focuses when you visit Monticello ... A huge, maybe primary, focus of the tour is on the horrors of slavery, the rape of slaves, and the Jefferson's relationship with Sally Hemming, the half-sister of his dead wife who he likely fathered six children with. The Jefferson tour is not whitewashed, and it's an excellent historical, informative tour.

I'd contrast this from Washington's estate -- Mount Vernon -- which basically romanticizes Washington's relationship with his slaves, and passes off myth-making revisionism as fact. Washington is credited with starting a trend of freeing his slaves upon his death. He's the first noteworthy American to be credited with this. Except he didn't. In his will, he declared his slaves free upon the death of Martha Washington, and she only "freed" some of them years later because she feared a very tangible slave revolt at their estate. She kept her own slaves until her own death. Mount Vernon spends almost no time of the tour on slavery, it's a stark contrast to Monticello where slavery is a primary focus of the tour.

(more to add, sorry being interrupted)

Mar 3, 2019
Maybe move them to a museum or something but outright destroying them? Nah. They are symbols of what the past used to be. Destroying them only reinforces the false idea that it never happened in the future, kind of a whitewashing of history if you will. Confederate monuments? I could care less. If someone wants to pay to put them in a museaum than let them have it, otherwise I won't cry if they go down.

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't the founding fathers version of equality for white men who owned land? Like they wouldn't even let women vote, let alone poc. Fuck em', they don't deserve statues

Many were the progressives of their time. Monarchy was still the most popular form of government where white landowners weren't even allowed to vote and equality wasn't even a target.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Just a quick and dirty compromise idea:

For slave-owning founding fathers like Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, we could destroy their existing monument plaques instead of the whole monument and replace it (and other history text) with pretty much the same content with the addition of the following:
While <insert founding father and his importance to the country>, he, as a civic leader and as a slave owning plantation owner helped condone and propagate a national culture of discrimination and disenfranchisement to a significant number of his fellow african-americans.

For assholes that persecuted native americans like Thomas *fuckin* Jefferson and Andrew Jackson, its the same only with a slightly different text . . . . he, as a civic leader helped condone and propagate a national policy of persecution and disenfranchisement to a significant number of his fellow native americans.

Jul 24, 2018
I never saw the point in statues, removing them isn't gonna change history so it's a wonder why so many people are uppity about the idea of demolishing statues of people who did terrible shit. Books, museums and such aren't going anywhere if you wanna learn about the history of terrible people and how we got where we are today.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Leave the Founding Fathers' statues up, those statues didn't go up as a direct response to the Civil Rights Movement.

Also, they have a meaning other than "fought to defend slavery." Washington was the first President, Jefferson was an excellent statesman who doubled the size of the United States and was instrumental in designing our government.

Jefferson Davis was just a rebel that lost. Spectacularly at that.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe in erasing what was done in the past. Quite the opposite, I think they should remain to show future generations what are country once was. Trying to erase a mistake is like acting like it never happened. We should be learning from them instead.

For slave-owning founding fathers like Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, we could destroy their existing monument plaques instead of the whole monument and replace it (and other history text) with pretty much the same content with the addition of the following:
While <insert founding father and his importance to the country>, he, as a civic leader and as a slave owning plantation owner helped condone and propagate a national culture of discrimination and disenfranchisement to a significant number of his fellow african-americans.

For assholes that persecuted native americans like Thomas *fuckin* Jefferson and Andrew Jackson, its the same only with a slightly different text . . . . he, as a civic leader helped condone and propagate a national policy of persecution and disenfranchisement to a significant number of his fellow native americans.

I could totally get behind this.

TheGrayFox

Banned
Jun 3, 2020
No, I think that there is a clear difference between commemorating and celebrating Jefferson Davis, a person who is only commemorated because of his support of the cause of slavery and his willingness to secede from the United States, versus someone like Thomas Jefferson... Where his historical legacy as both an advocate for basic human freedom while also owning slaves has been part of his legacy since the 1800s. The Jefferson estate does not hide or try to revise Jefferson's slave owning past, it's actually one of the primary focuses when you visit Monticello ... A huge, maybe primary, focus of the tour is on the horrors of slavery, the rape of slaves, and the Jefferson's relationship with Sally Hemming, the half-sister of his dead wife who he likely fathered six children with. The Jefferson tour is not whitewashed, and it's an excellent historical, informative tour.

I'd contrast this from Washington's estate -- Mount Vernon -- which basically romanticizes Washington's relationship with his slaves, and passes off myth-making revisionism as fact. Washington is credited with starting a trend of freeing his slaves upon his death. He's the first noteworthy American to be credited with this. Except he didn't. In his will, he declared his slaves free upon the death of Martha Washington, and she only "freed" some of them years later because she feared a very tangible slave revolt at their estate. She kept her own slaves until her own death. Mount Vernon spends almost no time of the tour on slavery, it's a stark contrast to Monticello where slavery is a primary focus of the tour.

(more to add, sorry being interrupted)

The Jefferson Estate's acknowledgement of slavery and his relationship with Sally Hemmings is a very recent phenomenon though. I absolutely agree with you that the new tour is historical and informative and lacking in whitewashing but your claim that been part of his legacy since the 1800s is wrong.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
i am patiently waiting for john adams to finally get his due. not a slave owner, not in favor of slavery, and (for the time) progressive in supporting his wife owning property. as far as founding fathers go, he is one of the better ones, albeit with flaws of his own.

(yes, he passed the alien and sedition acts which are horrible and shouldn't be forgotten, so he is absolutely not blameless. it's a massive black mark on his legacy.)

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

I would support taking Andrew Jackson off the $20 bill. Fucking genocidal maniac.

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Even back then they knew Slavery was wrong. It was a slow process to abolish it starting from banning importation in 1778 to ending Slavery after the Civil War.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even back then they knew Slavery was wrong. It was a slow process to abolish it starting from banning importation in 1778 to ending Slavery after the Civil War.
yeah, pretty sure at least a few of the founding fathers were abolitionists who called out the hypocracy of saying all men are equal and then owning slaves

Oct 25, 2017
It really starts with removing confederate monuments and renaming federal things that are still named for confederates.

That is like the bare minimum that should have been happening ages ago.

It is a testament to the strength of white supremacy in America that those things were even built at the time they were and have been allowed to stay and even had people defending them.

If you want to build a museum that illustrates the history of the confederacy and educate people that this is what it looks like to be treasonous against the united states, do that instead.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think any of these people should be romanticized in the way that they are, given that this is a nation built through slave labor on stolen land

i also don't understand why anybody is hemming and hawing about public opinion in this thread given that it's broadly asking whether something should happen. just tear 'em down.