• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Its a nice butt. Her ass is apart of her character as much as her being a Bison clone.
o8nKNLL.gif
Seriously?

Deleted member 62078

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
No. Let her keep it, and make the Resi style pants an option for anyone particularly bothered by it. It's just an ass, that one single pose is wayyyyyyyyy less gratuitous than 99% of the stuff seen in other fighting games, or FF7 remake, or any Kojima game involving a female character.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No. Let her keep it, and make the Resi style pants an option for anyone particularly bothered by it. It's just an ass, that one single pose is wayyyyyyyyy less gratuitous than 99% of the stuff seen in other fighting games, or FF7 remake, or any Kojima game involving a female character.

Street Fighter is full of this though...

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It probably depends on how strongly they drive the esports angle in the next title. Her and R.Mika's default costumes caused some issues with esports broadcasts in the past.

My thoughts as well. I'm not a big SF player but Capcom mainly seems to only alter poses and designs because ESPN complains.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Or it's something we need. SF4 started a not-great trend of bringing back every classic character they could and now instead of having a bunch of new, unique characters and a few returning ones, like 3, we end up with an entirely old cast and 4 new ones on launch. SFV at least gave us a season of mostly new characters and even returning ones were mostly changed from their previous games.

I can understand WHY they played it safe with SFIV. New Generation/2nd Impact made the move to go with a completely new cast (they weren't even going to put Ryu and Ken in originally), but a lot of people don't like change. And especially with a fighting game where a lot of fans who found their favourite SF2 character that spent years of their lives identifying with them, and unless they were a shoto main, were suddenly gone. There are some gameplay and game system reasons that also turned off some high level players at the time, but my answer is the more general reasoning for the casual up to semi-hardcore fan that lead to the large exodus of the fanbase at that point.

I give Capcom credit for willing to shake things up and wanted to make SFIII fresh, but their timing wasn't great & they didn't really understand the current market (the arcade scene was dying in the US and a lot of consoles were finally catching up to provide an arcade-like experience at home) or what the fanbase wanted. And Alex is legitmately cool in retrospect, but it's weird they decided to make a grappler/charge character the face of SFIII.

KnightHero117

Oct 26, 2017
Also the butt pose Cammy does is way too iconic, she does it in literally all the games she is in just as Chun-li always does her "I'm sorry" taunt.

It's not going away.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
She should have two asses.

She turns around, shows her butt then a donkey comes off screen with delta red members riding it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Are they going to change her iconic win pose? No. They did change some of the camera angles in her intro in SFV to take less of a voyeuristic camera angle though.

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Mansplaining Over a Series of Posts
We're talking about pervasive and enduring sexism in an industry well known for it. I know you're trying to be funny, but if the entirety of last month, listing a bunch of pro players and industry professionals as serious sexual harassers doesn't tell you anything, then you are part of the problem. Not caring a god damn about how women are depicted in games has funny ways of making these ideas apparent in real life in people's general attitudes about the subject.
sf is based on stereotypes and almost all of its characters are problematic in some way, but people still love them, grew up with, and identify with them. if ur gonna have issues with her, who I see as actually empowering, she owns her whole self, u better have the same energy for the entire cast. inflating her design with real life sexual harassment is nonsense

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
sf is based on stereotypes and almost all of its characters are problematic in some way, but people still love them, grew up with, and identify with them. if ur gonna have issues with her, who I see as actually empowering, she owns her whole self, u better have the same energy for the entire cast. inflating her design with real life sexual harassment is nonsense

Sexual harassment is as much a culture based on how women are treated, and games constantly depicting them in scandalous and unrealistic outfits (often and especially compared to men) is indeed because it's rooted in ideas of how women are seen as hyper-sexualized. Telling me Cammy's stereotype is reduced to her costume showing ass isn't helping your argument.

But do tell ME how a green onesie is empowering for her character. >:/
How odd. People have posted great cammy pants art... and Chun Li dabbled in it too

Capcom is made of talented artists. The ball is in their court and they've done fantastic work for its ladies before. Not sure why "tradition" = CAMMY ASS IS A MUST

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
We're talking about pervasive and enduring sexism in an industry well known for it. I know you're trying to be funny, but if the entirety of last month, listing a bunch of pro players and industry professionals as serious sexual harassers doesn't tell you anything, then you are part of the problem. Not caring a god damn about how women are depicted in games has funny ways of making these ideas apparent in real life in people's general attitudes about the subject.
There has to be a line dividing people that like butts and literal rapists. We reject the idea that the people that enjoy violent games are also violent but this idea still persists.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There has to be a line dividing people that like butts and literal rapists. We reject the idea that the people that enjoy violent games are also violent but this idea still persists.

That's fair. But while we are largely and fortunately away from violence in most of our lives, sexual harassment is, in some ways, much more ubiquitous in every day life than war or violence or political espionage or alien attacks, or whatever most violent games wanna do.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Should it? Yeah, or at the very least give her those sick tactical pants first.

Will it? Of course not, if they tried Japan would fucking riot the way they did over Cammy's face until they changed it back.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
What's wrong with her showing her butt?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They gave her pants so the sky's the limit.

Will be impressed if her default outfit has pants in SF6

s y

Nov 8, 2017
her ass is integral to her backstory iirc?

because i am posting on resetera.com, i feel the need to clarify, that yes, I am not being serious.

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
Sexual harassment is as much a culture based on how women are treated, and games constantly depicting them in scandalous and unrealistic outfits (often and especially compared to men) is indeed because it's rooted in ideas of how women are seen as hyper-sexualized. Telling me Cammy's stereotype is reduced to her costume showing ass isn't helping your argument.

But do tell ME how a green onesie is empowering for her character. >:/
How odd. People have posted great cammy pants art... and Chun Li dabbled in it too

Capcom is made of talented artists. The ball is in their court and they've done fantastic work for its ladies before. Not sure why "tradition" = CAMMY ASS IS A MUST
lol idc if she has pants, I think pants cammy is actually a better design than non-pants cammy, but r u gonna categorically reject revealing clothing purely because revealing clothing is bad? u should be talking about the male gaze if u r rly gung ho on how cammy isn't being empowered in the game, but u also ignore literally every facet of her character other than her clothing in making this post, and I still think her clothing fits her

the OP makes more sense than u cuz they're talking about the specific camera angles that the game has that indicate a kind of hetero male gaze, which is significantly more problematic, especially as these games get more realistic. I would understand where u were coming from if u weren't just "clothing bad" and then going clothing bad -> sexual harassment and toxic work culture

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
her ass is integral to her backstory iirc?

because i am posting on resetera.com, i feel the need to clarify, that yes, I am not being serious.

Yes. One of Bison's top priorities for a good replacement body was a rocking ass.

Half serious, I mean look at the lineup of women he chose to be his replacements. He certainly had some specific priorities.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft has tamed down any sexualisation a lot in their games over the last five years or so and yet has one of the worst company cultures. I'm not sure there is a direct connection to be made.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ubisoft has tamed down any sexualisation a lot in their games over the last five years or so and yet has one of the worst company cultures. I'm not sure there is a direct connection to be made.

Were you expecting change overnight?
And they're not THAT good about it. They've depicted less trashy women but I dunno...they're still good at kinda giving them the short stick too sometimes. :/

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I think they will or make it an option somehow. They have been toning down the costumes aswell as adding shorts to all skirt costumes its obvious they are adding these for E-sports purposes and have it be more broadcast friendly. They also already modified her super camera from early on when it would focus too much on her ass at the start. They will probably either make an E-sports build or ban certain costumes from tournaments.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
If anything, I'd like to assume that Mika/ESPN controversy will be a wakeup for Capcom that maybe they need to make the character designs less ridiculous in the next installment.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I don't expect that they'll get rid of it, but they'll probably change her default outfit to something more presentable since she and Mika have trouble being shown during esports events.

Whatever they do I hope they don't get rid of Ed's stripper outfit, it looks fucking hilariously over the top.

fKUm7I5.png

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't expect that they'll get rid of it, but they'll probably change her default outfit to something more presentable since she and Mika have trouble being shown during esports events.

Whatever they do I hope they don't get rid of Ed's stripper outfit, it looks fucking hilariously over the top.

fKUm7I5.png

His nipple looks chaffed but thats a fun outfit xD

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
Were you expecting change overnight?
And they're not THAT good about it. They've depicted less trashy women but I dunno...they're still good at kinda giving them the short stick too sometimes. :/
"less trashy women"? lol post more about how you feel about depictions of women in video games pls

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean the games changed but the company didn't so I'm not sure how directly content and companies treatment of real women can be equated.

C'mon, like Ubisoft is the only company guilty of this?
It still doesn't defeat the point at large. Women in game and out are poorly treated in numerous regards (take your pick).

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
If they edited out her nipples then they can cover her ass, some of the reasoning in this thread to the contrary is just dumb.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Overdue for a redesign in some way (same for Ryu, Chun Li, Bison etc)

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Overdue for a redesign in some way (same for Ryu, Chun Li, Bison etc)

This.

I hate that a lot of these "grandfathered" series are so reluctant to change because "fanz maybe get mad".

Breath of the Wild finally ditched Link's dorky ass hat for the better and got rid of an annoying NPC fairy/imp/sci-fi-sword-woman and was a million times better for it.