• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you happy that Supergiant Games broke their no-sequels rule for Hades II?

• Yes - More Hades is always a good thing

Votes: 746 64.2%
  • No - I'd prefer that they work on a new original game instead

Votes: 416 35.8%

• Total voters

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Eh I don't really care, I said "Yes" because Hades is their best game, but They've never missed. Whatever they make I'm sure I'd be into to it to some degree.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda don't really have any strong feelings either way. I liked Hades, but only enough to beat it once. I liked Transistor but again, it didn't stick with me for that long.

If this is what they want to make, OK. I can't really muster up much more of a reaction than that.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
Yes! Hades is a top 10 game of all time, but now we get a sequel with a female main chartacter? If they do it right it will dethrone Hades for me!

It may be silly, but a female main character makes any game better to me, we still really have not enough of them. Just feels better to me personally too.

Mar 19, 2021
I'm on the fence, I think Hades is easily their best game but always prefer new IP over sequels. That being said, Pyre got long in the tooth for me and Transistor took too long to get going before it was already over so maybe this is the best scenario for me.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
It's ducking Hades.

The world is ripe with potential for new characters, new scenarios and gameplay ideas and a lot of that was made apparent less than 10 minutes into their stream and then it just kept going from there.

Way too many series on their nth entries in over 20 years at the forefront of everything to be skulking about a Hades II.

Last edited:

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I was originally a touch disappointed but looking at the Hades II stream it's clear there are interesting new ideas that interact with what they had already built to produce something new and exciting. They're taking the world they've built and applying a darker, and arguably more distinct lens; Greek mythology, but with a heavy focus on the connections to witchcraft and the theme of time.

Supergiant has already presented their own argument on why they've chosen to make a sequel this time. They're clearly very passionate about the ideas they have to offer.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really pleased they have made a sequel from everything I've seen from the technical test. Hades could have been a perfect standalone game in its own right, but if a sequel is to be made, Supergiant is ticking all the boxes thus far. It also really genuinely feels like the team have more they can explore with the world and gameplay.

[Repost from the TT therad.] Even from just watching the technical test, it's really fascinating how Hades II can feel so wonderfully familiar yet so different. Both games feel like opposite sides of the same coin in the best way. There's such a tonal shift from Zag to Mel, along with the characters and world they're surrounded by. Zag is such a cheery character, with such a warm color palette that matches the mood of the extravagant House of Hades and many areas of the Underworld. Mel, in comparison, is a more formal soldier, and that reflects in a cooler color palette with the Crossroads and Erebus, and her casual action being a salute. Zag's goal is more hopeful with wanting to escape the Underworld to find his mother, whereas Mel has a much greater burden in wanting to kill Chronos for whatever happened with her family. Thankfully, Hades II isn't without its sense of humor, with both new and returning characters providing levity.

The plot is really intriguing as well, and it seems that there are a lot of wonderfully twisty ways the story can go. I love the shift from the first game's more classical approach to Greek mythology to the more delightfully witchy side of it in the sequel, and all that entails in terms of gameplay and aesthetics. The upgrading system is denser with more freedom -- choosing which room to go to next for a specific upgrade material is interesting, I like it. The gameplay feels familiar yet new, and I was itching to play it myself watching the test. (Trying not to boot up Hades so badly.)

New characters:
Hestia's VA and dialogue immediately stole the show for me -- I can't wait to see her portrait! -- though I adore Odysseus, Hecate, Nemesis, Selene, Hephaestus, Dora, and Arachne as well. ...basically, everyone, lol. Amazing designs, VA, and dialogue.

The attention to detail in level design and portraits is incredible, with so much more environmental idle animation -- the leaves blowing in the breeze in character portraits are breathtaking. I love the different colors reflecting on Mel's face at the boon choice screen as well.

I'm actually really shocked I watched the whole technical stream-- even with my love for Hades, I didn't think I'd have the attention span to watch the full thing, but the combat was great to watch, the game itself has a very strong opening in terms of gameplay loop and narrative, and Amir and Greg did great commentary. I can't wait for the full release.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
sensible economic decision — i'm disappointed though. they've shown good judgement up to this point so i'll give em the benefit of the doubt. :)

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I would have prefered a new IP, but i'm fine with more hades!

All i'm hoping is for more variety during the runs, like having different bosses per floors, and different floors your can reach depending on what you do

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F654d93ec-92d2-45c1-9533-50536857f296_498x249.gif

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
I don't like Hades, so I would prefer to see them do something different. Roguelikes are not for me – no matter how much makeup you put on it.

Now, to be fair, I haven't really enjoyed Supergiant's games that much. I liked Transistor the most, but that's about it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Hades was fine I guess, it just seemed more like a one and done title than anything else.

Can't say a sequel is at the top of my priority list, I'd rather see something else.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
More Hades is always a good thing, rules are sometimes meant to be broken.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy they're doing what they want to do and finding success doing so.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
In this case, yes. Hades biggest problem was lack of variety. Not enough different enemies, bosses, biomes/level layouts. An expansion might have solved that but I guess they went for a sequel instead. Also they were kind of starting to run out of genres to try no?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy they're doing what they want to do and finding success doing so.
Exactly this.

And with how many players thought the core roguelike elements weren't completely cooked in the first game (I wasn't one of them, but can understand where people are coming from), I'm looking forward to seeing how they approach it in this game.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Hades was the only Supergiant game I've ever been able to get into, so abso-fuckin'-lutely.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I think that there are so many things you could do with this setting and the mechanics of the game absolutely warrant iteration and improvement. I think games like Pyre and Bastion ended pretty definitively in comparison.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Hades was the only Supergiant game I've ever been able to get into, so abso-fuckin'-lutely.

Ditto. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated the others and thought the visuals and animations were lovely but they just didn't brutally hook me immediately in the first 10 minutes and not let me go for 80 hours or so.

It's the best Rogue lite i've ever played despite some really solid competition!

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
They can and absolutely should do whatever they are passionate about, but I am a bit sad they gained unimaginable wealth + fame and the freedom that comes with that and their immediate desire was to make a sequel.

I also think a Hades Sequel is a great thing.

All of those thoughts can be true at the same time.

00Quan[T]

Banned
May 12, 2022
It's good that they're making a sequel. A new game is a coin toss, even if it's good it doesn't mean it'll be as good as Hades. Also this will surely help them grow since it's a certain winner, we might get a new game being made in parallel.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
They can and absolutely should do whatever they are passionate about, but I am a bit sad they gained unimaginable wealth + fame and the freedom that comes with that and their immediate desire was to make a sequel.

I also think a Hades Sequel is a great thing.

All of those thoughts can be true at the same time.
How rich do you think game developers are? Like they still have stock and need investors to function and needed to pay their employees between 3-4 years it takes to release new games. In Hades II case it'll be a 5 year gap and development started 3 years ago. So where the does "immediate desire" even come from?

Like I was mad Hades II got announced so early relative to it's release, but then it was explained to me that they need a show of good faith to investors that they are working on something people are looking forward to.

I'm definitely being a defensive fanboy and don't want to quote every single post I disagree with, but some of these posts are baffling, surely y'all can recognize how much some of y'all are projecting. Especially following months where every thread here was basically "EVERY DEVELOPER THAT'S NOT NINTENDO IS DOOMED".

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
After beating the technical test, unequivocally yes. This was the right move. There's so much more meat on the bone.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I've enjoyed and/or loved every Supergiant game I've ever played (and one of these days I'll get around to playing Pyre, I swear!), but Hades was not only my GotY when it launched on Switch, it's one I still come back to and still resonates with me on a level that most games don't. I totally get why some would want Supergiant to experiment with more genres, but for me there's very little that's been announced by anyone ATM that I want more than Hades 2.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Pyre is my favorite Supergiant game. Actually, it's one of my favorite games in general. In large part because it feels like it exists so far outside of Supergiant's usual comfort zone. Really outside of the comfort zone of what a video game is supposed to be in general. Like, it's a 3v3 arcade sport game that's actually a contemplation on faith, (Christian) religion, death, and so much more.

Hades II does feel a bit disappointing. It'll likely still be great, and maybe they have a ton of really unique and inventive stuff they'll put into it. But it does feel like making it is the "safe" decision, and that's not at all what I've loved about the studio so far. Even if I totally understand why (it's a no-brainer financially, at the very least).

I also hated how seeing the full story of Hades required you to beat the game 10 times. I just don't have the time for that sort of stuff anymore, and I think the design decision really clashed with the game's roguelite nature. The game wants you to experiment with various pacts and push the heat level as far as you can, but if you want to see the story you're better off just grinding on the default settings so you don't risk losing a run. If there's one thing I really hope they change in the sequel, it's this.

Oct 25, 2017
I do find some morbid interest in this pet theory that's cropped up somehow deriding sequels as opposed to having them as some forgone conclusion.

Looking forward to the game, as it ultimately improve on a great foundation.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Ditto. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated the others and thought the visuals and animations were lovely but they just didn't brutally hook me immediately in the first 10 minutes and not let me go for 80 hours or so.

It's the best Rogue lite i've ever played despite some really solid competition!
Yeah, their other games are beautiful, don't get me wrong, but the gameplay never really hit for me like Hades did—and it hit.

Closest game that I enjoyed next to that would be Pyre, but unfortunately there was a memory leak glitch that made the game pretty much unplayable for me.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. Hades is one of my favorite games of all time. Bought and played it on three different platforms. I'm already loving the new protagonist as well. I can't wait for the full release.

Chippewa Barr