OP
OP
haziq

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
I do not think Star Wars was deliberately tanked either. I think that the people involved had an incredible misunderstanding of what their audience wanted. In this case, I'm not even sure the audience knew what they wanted for Star Wars beyond "not that", "this guy doesn't act that way", "it didn't go that way in my head", "didn't we already cover this", and "where did that come from".
I think Star Wars fans wanted a fun romp without a story that takes them too far out of the fun. This is the reason why I like TFA. I think, even as someone that didn't grow up with the franchise like a lot of other people have, most people have accepted that most SW media is mediocre & they just need to enjoy it for the fun that it is. And SW has been able to thrive within that scope, for the most part, which means SW should be pretty hard to fuck up at this point. TFA had a lot of flaws, and it isn't much of a hero's origin story, but it's fun, and its flaws don't take you too far out of the film.

The other two films have plot developments & concepts that take you out because they either weren't set up beforehand, or they're actively retconning something. But TLJ was just one guy taking an abandoned project and figuring out how he can twist it to his vision. TROS seems like it's actively dumping on what TLJ did because JJ Abrams didn't like the direction TLJ took with what he initially established with TFA.

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The creator of Boardwalk Empire ended the show multiple seasons early, making the last season jump like 8 years into the future and skipping all kinds of historical events, then went on to make the show Vinyl, in which the original creator then got removed from the staff before the show was unceremoniously cancelled after 1 season. Quite a waste of the talent all on Boardwalk Empire

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rogue with Thandiwe Newton - She had issues with the show's nudity and a sexist producer. I remember online comments a year or two after it ended and fans still had no idea why they would do the below spoiler.

They strangled and fridged her in a dumpster as a last fuck you on the fourth episode of the season (titled "Dirty Laundry"). She was the main character, mind you. And Cole Hauser and a new actress became the leads, which was a definite downgrade.

www.vulture.com

Thandie Newton Is Finally Ready to Speak Her Mind

After decades onscreen, nothing surprises the Westworld actress, though what she’s ready to share will surprise you.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Subset of this: One of the reasons Tomino gave bizarre names to characters and mechs in the original Mobile Suit Gundam see if the toy company sponsors were reading his scripts or not. Any reasonable person holding the purse strings would ask him what the hell he's doing if they saw some of those names, but they didn't, which meant he could write whatever he wanted.

Dec 16, 2017
Gilmore Girls, Season 6. Once The WB wouldn't play ball with the Palladinos anymore ASP wrote Season 6 into hell so whatever came after would be a clusterfuck. She even said in a panel that she asked for basic things and WB refused but ended up having to get them anyway to replace her, lol.

There's a reason she ignored most of the seventh season for the Gilmore Girls mini series a few years back.
Can you give some examples? Sounds interesting.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Subset of this: One of the reasons Tomino gave bizarre names to characters and mechs in the original Mobile Suit Gundam see if the toy company sponsors were reading his scripts or not. Any reasonable person holding the purse strings would ask him what the hell he's doing if they saw some of those names, but they didn't, which meant he could write whatever he wanted.

I think I remember reading that one. Stuff like that is generally pretty amusing to read about when it comes to things like this.

I might be wrong but Victory Gundam a more direct version of this to a degree for Tomino? He was pretty much burned out at that point with the franchise if I remember reading right. Though I can't remember if he outright wanted it to be terrible.

Dec 30, 2020
batman-brave-and-bold-mitefall-ambush-bug.jpg

Batman the Brave and the Bold actually invoked this in-universe to kill off their own show, with Bat Mite making it bad so that he could get a gritty reboot, while Ambush Bug watched the viewers at home turning off the tvs one by one.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
Magical Princess Minky Momo

this was a magical girl anime from 1982 aimed at young girls.
the series was doing well in the ratings but one of the show's sponsors, a toy company called Popy, withdrew their funding due to poor sales of Minky Momo branded toys.
so the animation studio decided to get their own back by having the main character lose her magical powers and then get run over and killed by a truck. a truck carrying toys.

more details here

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember reading that one. Stuff like that is generally pretty amusing to read about when it comes to things like this.

I might be wrong but Victory Gundam a more direct version of this to a degree for Tomino? He was pretty much burned out at that point with the franchise if I remember reading right. Though I can't remember if he outright wanted it to be terrible.
Maybe not "terrible on purpose" but he was definitely trying to make shocking feel-bad TV in hopes that Gundam might end.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The creator of Boardwalk Empire ended the show multiple seasons early, making the last season jump like 8 years into the future and skipping all kinds of historical events, then went on to make the show Vinyl, in which the original creator then got removed from the staff before the show was unceremoniously cancelled after 1 season. Quite a waste of the talent all on Boardwalk Empire

I thought that was HBO getting cold feet after average ratings in Boardwalk Empire and giving them a single season to wrap it up? That's a premature cancellation, not intentionally driving the show into the ground.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Cowboy Bebop comes to mind. Regardless of your opinion on the show, publically cancelling it after 3 weeks was a weird and dumb idea.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I swear I could've searched "American Vanda" on Netflix and American Vandal still wouldn't be the first result

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Not that I'm doubting your information, but does anyone have a source on this? I'd love to read about it, sounds hilarious. Quattro Bajeena is forever ingrained in my skull as the best/worst fictional name ever.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to it?

I only read the manga and dropped it around the time the kids escape, not because I lost interest but because other stuff got my attention

Well normally the issue with a lot of anime adaptations is that they come out, but can't adapt the whole thing because the source material isn't finished. So sometimes they either take a very long break, or they'll come up with an anime original ending. But with Promised Neverland, before S2 came out the manga was already finished, and it was still fairly popular. So literally no reason for a S2 to not adapt the story properly, and yet...

For whatever reason, it just absolutely speed rushes through the entire story, which includes outright skipping a major arc that people were actually fond of. Said arc also introduced a rather important character. Then it has a random ass timeskip. S2 also didn't bother at all with introducing the leader of the demons, and so much other hugely relevant stuff. All the emotional impact that might've landed (the future arcs were divisive) had absolutely no chance of doing so due to nothing getting a chance to breathe. The culmination of the confoundingly fast pacing was them doing one big montage for all these important moments that only a manga reader would have any hope of recognizing, thereby leaving anime only fans to be utterly confused at what they were looking at. Like they showed enough stuff that you could've made a S3 out of it.

We have no explanation for why they deliberately sabotaged the season. Some of the people that worked on the season even literally took their names out of the credits in the last few episodes, so it's clear that behind the scenes they're aware of what a trainwreck S2 was.

If they just didn't feel like adapting the whole thing properly, then they should have either not bothered with S2 at all, or adapt it normally, and then leave S3 to someone else to tackle in the future.