• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
WASHINGTON —
The Trump administration warned California on Friday that it must stop requiring health insurance plans in the state to provide abortion coverage or risk losing federal money.
The move — the latest clash between the White House and the nation's largest state — opens a new front in a long-running national debate over whether abortion services must be covered by health insurance.
It threatens to further restrict Californians' access to abortion services, which must be offered in health plans that cover individuals and employees of small business in the state.
The state's rules do not apply to larger employer plans or to federally funded insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid.

"If California wants to provide abortion services, it can do so," said Roger Severino, who directs the Office for Civil Rights in the Department of Health and Human Services. "What the state is not free to do is force people to pay for other people's abortions."
California has 30 days to repeal its abortion mandate, Severino said.

Boxxy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah...whenever I hear that, I hear "I won't be bullied into considering the bigger SCOTUS picture"

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Cali would probably be quite happy to quit sending money to Alabama and Mississippi if they actually try and stop their funding. California by itself has, what, like the fifth largest economy in the world? They send way more money out than what they get from the federal government. If the federal government wants to play hardball like that, California's net profits go up, not down.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
If I were Cali I'd threaten to secede then. Maybe Oregon and Washington would join.

Fuck Trump and fuck those who would see him elected into office again one way or another.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I blame religious people for not pushing back on shit like this. Absolutely monstrous how they let people use their faith as a bludgeon to get their way.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is terrible and an erosion of a woman's right to choose. The right is systematically denying women their health care and we have got to stop that. But the thread title isn't going to get you anywhere excelsiorlef. Dems need to run good candidates. Running terrible center-left candidates and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is too stay off twitter and stop listening to the hardcore politically motivated fan bases during the primary season. Your sanity will thank you and you'll be more willing to have reasonable discussion with people that you're trying to convince.

Oct 27, 2017
Red states should think long and hard about the precedents this fascist administration are making. Trump won't be around forever 'triggering libs' and payback is a female dog, bubbas

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
We must all find a way to coalesce around getting Trump the fuck out of power. Everything else is secondary.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is terrible and an erosion of a woman's right to choose. The right is systematically denying women their health care and we have got to stop that. But the thread title isn't going to get you anywhere excelsiorlef. Dems need to run good candidates. Running terrible center-left candidates and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Nah fuck this shit.

Your post is literally the erosion of women's rights is awful but telling people to vote to stop it is mean.

Fight in the Primary, come home in the general.

If this title makes you feel attacked, reflect on why.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It must be nice to be so comfortable and secure that you feel like it doesn't matter if Trump gets re-elected or not.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Telling nonvoters to just shut the fuck up and vote is an interesting strategy.
You should shut the fuck up if you don't vote. The Trump years are the easiest it has ever been to make a decision on who to vote for.

There are reasons to vote for Trump (you like his racism, tax cuts, etc) but if you don't vote and then still want to complain about Trump or the government then don't be surprised when people call you out for being the idiot you are.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
It's not just who you vote for, it is who you are willing to campaign for, who the most passionate people are willing to campaign for. I absolutely will oppose Trump but I would be very worried if Biden or Buttigieg won because they don't have the base of people willing to stand in the cold canvassing or calling.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
We're in primary phase so I get it, but in the long run there's really no choice and cow poking to non voters is pointless. The only way to truly reach someone who is so detached they refuse to vote at this point requires a wake up call.

Trumps strategy to fuel his bases wet dreams continue, a fight with California and over abortion... lol they seem to be seeing really short sided this time around overall. Coming in too hot only helps the opposition, 2016 was done a bit more technical with feeding doubts many already felt around Hillary. The red meat his voters would eat up was kept to doses that could be trump explained later by the campaign.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
It must be nice to be so comfortable and secure that you feel like it doesn't matter if Trump gets re-elected or not.
But if he does get another four years, then we'll definitely have a better chance at a perfect candidate winning the Democratic nomination and general election in 2024! There's no way we'd end up with a centrist Democrat or a garden-variety right-wing Republican after a full eight years of The Donald Trump Show: Starring Donald Trump! /s

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
You should shut the fuck up if you don't vote. The Trump years are the easiest it has ever been to make a decision on who to vote for.

There are reasons to vote for Trump (you like his racism, tax cuts, etc) but if you don't vote and then still want to complain about Trump or the government then don't be surprised when people call you out for being the idiot you are.

"But I want to send a message!"

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah fuck this shit.

Your post is literally the erosion of women's rights is awful but telling people to vote to stop it is mean.

Fight in the Primary, come home in the general.

If this title makes you feel attacked, reflect on why.

It doesn't make me feel attacked. I've said on ERA for the past couple of years that I wasn't "blue no matter who", and my position hasn't changed. I don't think that this title (or tactic) forms a winning strategy or a good basis for discussion. It didn't work for Clinton in 2016 for sure.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Red states should think long and hard about the precedents this fascist administration are making. Trump won't be around forever 'triggering libs' and payback is a female dog, bubbas

Maybe that's the gamble. If Trump can do enough damage now, they won't have to worry about libs never being triggered again, because they're going All-In On Trump, hoping he'll create a MAGA Reich that will last for a thousand years and create Conservative Eden for generations to come.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But if he does get another four years, then we'll definitely have a better chance at a perfect candidate winning the Democratic nomination and general election in 2024! There's no way we'd end up with a centrist Democrat or a garden-variety right-wing Republican after a full eight years of The Donald Trump Show: Starring Donald Trump! /s
And besides, how long is a supreme court justice in for anyway?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
People really should have realised this before Trump let alone after the Muslim and trans military bans.

Principles don't mean shit if they get another supreme court appointee.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make me feel attacked. I've said on ERA for the past couple of years that I wasn't "blue no matter who", and my position hasn't changed. I don't think that this title (or tactic) forms a winning strategy or a good basis for discussion. It didn't work for Clinton in 2016 for sure.

You're right:

Maybe I;ll get it changed to Women's Rights are eroding everywhere but I understand if it's too much to ask for you to vote against that in 2020

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that's the gamble. If Trump can do enough damage now, they won't have to worry about libs never being triggered again, because they're going All-In On Trump, hoping he'll create a MAGA Reich that will last for a thousand years and create Conservative Eden for generations to come.

Reagan kind of achieved that, right? His policies defined not just the GOP for the 4 decades to follow, but also informed the Third Way Democrats.

We have a chance to stop Trump and the alt-right here, if we're smart and rally around good policies instead of just a safe sense of inevitability.

Deleted member 15125

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Telling nonvoters that they're bigoted and should shut the fuck up is not a good strategy to get them to vote.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Telling nonvoters that they're bigoted and should shut the fuck up is not a good strategy to get them to vote.

You're right next time i'll hold their hand and tell them I totally understand that their conscience doesn;'t allow them to take the only action that can prevent Trump from further eroding women's rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.