• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nhlducks35

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw the movie and it was fucking lit

Was really tense and the acting was great, beautiful cinematography

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Thought it was a solid follow up but the ending lost me, souring me a good bit.

It's not as bad as it could have been, but I feel it missed on its potential too.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like Solo, its a obvious part 1 of 2 and i dont feel like Sicario 2 told much if a story.

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen the movie, but the trailer made the story seem really stupid and pointless. A few of the reviewers I follow have made it sound almost poignant in the moment we're in, so I'll try to see it in the next week or so.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is it as much of a thriller as the first? I just watched the first last night on TV and I thought it was phenomenal. Saw the trailers for this one and it looks more action-packed and the plot sounds kind of silly. Looks like something I wouldn't look for in a sequel.

OP
OP
nhlducks35

nhlducks35

Oct 28, 2017
Is it as much of a thriller as the first? I just watched the first last night on TV and I thought it was phenomenal. Saw the trailers for this one and it looks more action-packed and the plot sounds kind of silly. Looks like something I wouldn't look for in a sequel.
Nah, I would say it's very similar to the 1st in terms of action (not too much, a lot of quiet and tense scenes)

SolidNivram

Apr 30, 2018
Hawthorne CA

It's tense and the action is a bit more than the first but overall great acting, cinematography and story. Silly yes but it expands the world. Still lots of mystery regarding both characters.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This fucking movie lost the plot.

The first movie went from a scathing insight into drug cartels to a sequel reveling in masturbatory violence by and to brown people.

This fucking released on the day of a domestic shooting of a news agency by a white male, while the nation is dealing with thousands of children housed in concentration camps after being traumatically ripped from their families, and the movie chooses to frame the entire narrative around radical Islamic terrorists crossing the border?

Utterly beyond disappointing. Fucking disgusting.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Not as good as the original. But I thought it was a solid follow up. Del Toro and Brolin are fantastic as always. I can only wonder how much better it would have been if Villenueve had directed it. I'm looking forward to the 3rd installment.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017

The first movie went from a scathing insight into drug cartels to a sequel reveling in masturbatory violence by and to brown people.

This fucking released on the day of a domestic shooting of a news agency by a white male, while the nation is dealing with thousands of children housed in concentration camps after being traumatically ripped from their families, and the movie chooses to frame the entire narrative around radical Islamic terrorists crossing the border?

It's a bit of a disappointing coincidence. But do you really think they planned for this to happen? There are movies about terrorists and radical Islamic bombers all the time. The movie was written years in advance. What do you want them to do? Not release it? Wait till Trump is out of office?

Ridiculous.

SolidNivram

Apr 30, 2018
Hawthorne CA

Lol what?

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

You can't be serious.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's a bit of a disappointing coincidence. But do you really think they planned for this to happen? There are movies about terrorists and radical Islamic bombers all the time. The movie was written years in advance. What do you want them to do? Not release it? Wait till Trump is out of office?

Ridiculous.
How about not make a movie that spends the first twenty minutes as a right wing propaganda video portraying brown people overwhelmingly as harbingers of evil specifically toward white people.

Obviously, the release date landing on that of a(nother) domestic shooting is irrelevant and unpredictable, but the framing of the narrative of this entire film is fucking insulting.

SolidNivram

Apr 30, 2018
Hawthorne CA
How about not make a movie that spends the first twenty minutes as a right wing propaganda video portraying brown people overwhelmingly as harbingers of evil specifically toward white people.

Obviously, the release date landing on that of a(nother) domestic shooting is irrelevant and unpredictable, but the framing of the narrative of this entire film is fucking insulting.

Why are you so angry?

SolidNivram

Apr 30, 2018
Hawthorne CA
Because I just paid to watch a prejudiced depiction of minorities as boogeymen that panders straight into the twisted fantasies of the right. It's as though it was created solely to embolden those who want increased ICE presence and a nation-wide wall.

I am a minority and I took no offense lol you're reading to in between the lines. It's just a movie bro.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brolin's character is an OTT parody of American overreach and reckless stupid shortsighted decisions.

Just like in the prior film, he's not a good guy and you're not supposed to be cheering him on.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I am a minority and I took no offense lol you're reading to in between the lines. It's just a movie bro.
The first movie showed an equally unflattering view at hypothetical extreme violence being met with equally unethical response. I was expecting the same level of critical depictions regarding the border in this sequel. In the last year and a half, the border and immigration control within the states has become increasingly hostile toward Hispanics. The last six weeks has culminated in over 2500 children being ripped from their families and held in facilities like Casa Padre that literally depict murals of Trump as the first thing you see upon entering.

Instead of getting any relevant commentary, we get the right wing boogeymen, starting off with a scenario that has never happened but plays into every fear of the xenophobic. What a disappointment.

Last edited:

SolidNivram

Apr 30, 2018
Hawthorne CA
The first movie showed an equally unflattering view at hypothecary extreme violence being met with equally unethical response. I was expecting the same level of critical depictions regarding the border in this sequel. In the last year and a half, the border and immigration control within the states has become increasingly hostile toward Hispanics. The last six weeks has culminated in over 2500 children being ripped from their families and held in facilities like Casa Padre that literally depict murals of Trump as the first thing you see upon entering.

Instead of getting any relevant commentary, we get the right wing boogeymen, starting off with a scenario that has never happened but plays into every fear of the xenophobic. What a disappointment.

Woah lol. Troll of the year award goes to you.
But anyways, this movie was awesome and you guys should check it out especially if you enjoyed the first.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Woah lol. Troll of the year award goes to you.
But anyways, this movie was awesome and you guys should check it out especially if you enjoyed the first.
Hmm.

Look, I'm all for escapism, and I love a great action movie... but some things are shameless. I don't consider it extreme or trolling to criticize a film that is portrays the border in a biased depiction when ICE and the US government is pushing the boundaries of what's allowed against a class of people.

Furthermore, the disparity in depiction between every side in the first movie versus the second are unmistakeable. This is a missed opportunity and the wrong message for a movie set squarely in the area dominating the news cycle for the worst reasons.

I mean, seriously, the movie literally begins by trying to elicit pathos over Muslims attacking white women and children after crossing the border. This feels like watching a movie about 'The Dangers of Gypsies' in Germany in the mid-1930s.

I feel like you have to be nearsided or tone-deaf to miss the unfortunate propaganda in this movie versus what was presented in the first one.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I said in a previous thread "
Just saw it. I read some reviews saying "the girl is a weaker part of the story" I actually felt as if she was a strong part of it. I loved the movie. Just as fucked up as the first if not more. We need more movies like this lol so good."

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sicario => Sicarios.

I enjoyed it. Not the visual spectacle of the first, and doesn't meet the same tense highs, but it's worthy of a watch. Silliness of plot aside, it worked because of the leads. The plot was to create propaganda to start wars. It was intentional.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Hmm.

Look, I'm all for escapism, and I love a great action movie... but some things are shameless. I don't consider it extreme or trolling to criticize a film that is portrays the border in a biased depiction when ICE and the US government is pushing the boundaries of what's allowed against a class of people.

Furthermore, the disparity in depiction between every side in the first movie versus the second are unmistakeable. This is a missed opportunity and the wrong message for a movie set squarely in the area dominating the news cycle for the worst reasons.

I mean, seriously, the movie literally begins by trying to elicit pathos over Muslims attacking white women and children after crossing the border. This feels like watching a movie about 'The Dangers of Gypsies' in Germany in the mid-1930s.

I feel like you have to be nearsided or tone-deaf to miss the unfortunate propaganda in this movie versus what was presented in the first one.

Ah, so this is one of those MUSLIMS ARE TEH EVILZ movies, huh. Thanks for the info, skipping it like a disease then.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so this is one of those MUSLIMS ARE TEH EVILZ movies, huh. Thanks for the info, skipping it like a disease then.

And somali pirates and Russians and...mothers that don't care about their kids.

If you're serious, the bombers were americans and they made it look like they were jihadists, but "that would change the narrative".

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The message is more along the lines of painting the border as an opened Pandora's box, with dangerous Muslims starting things off with a bang and then becoming footnotes as the movie continues. Yeesh.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
So we're finally in the conspiracy theory part that Sicario: Day of the Solaros is just a right-wing propaganda movie for right-wing nuts.

Okay, man. It's just a damn movie.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I just got back, I thought it was OK but the script was pretty disappointing. It felt very contrived and muddled in places, relying on a lot of convenience.

Nowhere near as good as the first but enjoyable enough if you like the first.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was a great film in many ways and my theory is that were it not a sequel to Sicario, the critical response would be much better. (It's not that bad as it stands)

It's an incredibly well made film with great action, nuanced characters, and a bleak tone matching the original while still managing to do it's own thing.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think you missed a really big line late in the movie.

The terrorist (all but 1 I think) were US citizens and didn't cross the border. The US gov just over reacted like a bunch of idiots and fell square on their faces and made a giant mess.

Last edited:

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

That sounds like how I described London has fallen

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Sheridan is well known for his xenophobia and love for white people and the US government. Look at Hell or High Water, Sicario, and Wind River as proof of this.

As a Latinx and having lived in the South West I feel that claim about Sicario 1 is the only sort of valid example of this. I don't feel that way about the other films. I've read the essays by Latino critics airing their grievances with the film and there were more points I disagreed with them with than agreed. The Chicanos in Sicario aren't overly complex (shy of caricatures) but in context their depiction isn't overly untrue. I will say the picture painted of Juarez was definitely slanted toward serving the narrative/tone rather than the reality of the city.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i always wondered how realistic the depiciton of juarez was in the first sicario. i'm from europe so i really have no idea, i only know the city from sicario and it's hard to believe life in juarez is really like that. bodies hanging from bridges, constant gun fire in the distance. the city felt like a 24/7 war zone in the first movie.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Brolin's character is an OTT parody of American overreach and reckless stupid shortsighted decisions.

Just like in the prior film, he's not a good guy and you're not supposed to be cheering him on.

Like Zero Dark Thirty, it's trying to have its cake and eat it too. This is clumsily apparent with how the film juxtaposes Brolin with his lost superiors, and relatively more ruthless enemies. It's wet work that's not supposed to be glamorous, but it must be done and someone has to do it.

The current political climate makes these sort of stories a bit more uncomfortable for folks.

I would be remiss to say that the first Sicario isn't much better in this regard, either.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like Zero Dark Thirty, it's trying to have its cake and eat it too. This is clumsily apparent with how the film juxtaposes Brolin with his lost superiors, and relatively more ruthless enemies. It's wet work that's not supposed to be glamorous, but it must be done and someone has to do it.

The current political climate makes these sort of stories a bit more uncomfortable for folks.

I would be remiss to say that the first Sicario isn't much better in this regard, either.
They're absolutely correct to cut him off and his tantrum following it kinda drives that point home. He's having fun at the expense of pretty much the entire world and his playtime gets cut off.

The only part where he shows any sort of normal humanity is when he tries to save at least one of Sicario and the girl to try and unfuck part of the situation they've created.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

Sicario is a beautiful film because of how ugly and unflattering it is to this country. It mean, it was directed by a French-Canadian; you can quite literally say it's coming from a place of at least relative objectivity.

I dunno, watch it again. ZDT is a mess, but Sicario is definitely not about trying to have it both ways.