Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I still sort of expect a portable PS4 sold as an accessory rather than a dedicated handheld with its own market. Digital games can be cross buy and can be played via remote play/streaming and maybe indie games can be downloaded and played natively. I know this sounds like vita but maybe more powerful hardware and all the controls of a DualShock may work. I feel like r2/d2 missing killed vita remote play.

Jun 4, 2018
They didn't have plans for the Vita, either. At least it introduced people to P4. PlayStation TV is not a bad device to have around, in all honesty.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think they are going to announce such a thing as an answer to a random interview question.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Launches aligned, 3DS was outselling Vita at $250. It's crazy but the market really, really didn't want a Vita.
Yes, but the Vita had a $300 version, and that's what people look at... the premium model. That in tandem with needing a memory card, the console started at around $350.

If it came with a 4GB and there was no 3G version, the system would have done considerably better. The larger memory cards needed to be cheaper, but the system also needed to come with one.

Last edited:

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Competition is good for consumers, don't you think?
Is good for consumer but Sony is likely not gonna engage when they cant get the upper hand. Bot PSP vs DS and PSV vs 3DS sony bet was on better power. Currently you cant make something that would differentiate itself enough on power from Switch, so what they will do ia basically expand a marker where Nintendo has the upper hand due to exclusive 1st party titles

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony was never committed to their Handhelds in the way that is required. Their own studios openly stated on numerous occasions they had no desire and would never do handheld games. You can force development of course as they did with a few B and C tier studios but when your A Tiers say lol no. there is no serious support.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Compare the support to the 3DS, which was also met with a lukewarm reception on release.
Sony pulled the plug way too early, Vita should've gotten aggressive price cuts on the console (and especially those memory cards), as indies were very willing to give it a chance.
LOL, the 3DS support was garbage until 2013.

The Vita launched with several major titles like Uncharted and Wipeout and had Killzone, Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice and others a year after launch. It's just that nobody gave a damn.

Esfolia

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
They are basically affirming what they have said before, so no surprise there.
However as a huge fan of the vita it still hurts.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony was never committed to their Handhelds in the way that is required. Their own studios openly stated on numerous occasions they had no desire and would never do handheld games. You can force development of course as they did with a few B and C tier studios but when your A Tiers say lol no. there is no serious support.
I still cant believe sony let their studios say that stuff

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
I think the fact that sony just Burned 7Billions on saving PS3 public image (was still a financial disaster) + Sony being mid re-arranging all their branches and core bussiness is what kept em out of trying a hard push save on Vita, maybe was less impactful for their bottom line to just let it die rather than trying to save it.
They threw at that money on the burning cash pile known as "Xperia"

They could just make a dedicated PSNow device?

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
It's too bad Sony killed their new Killzone developers with Guerrilla Cambridge. I still to this day feel it was the best, or at least, second best Killzone game in the franchise. It was also the only one I managed to platinum. Tearaway was a lot of fun on Vita, no idea how the PS4 version plays; then you have all the PS1 games and indies to play, Vita was quite the machine. I bought mine originally to play DJMax: Technica Tune, I wish there was an in-game playtime because I'm sure I put 50 hours into it.
I do agree with everyone else, Sony's studios are and were not going to develop for a handheld, Sony doesn't utilize enough of their franchises that would suit a handheld like Ape Escape, so what we have is a lesser version of games we already play on their main console. A shame, because if Sony put the resources Nintendo does, I'm sure the Vita or a successor would see a number of great franchise revivals and new IPs.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still cant believe sony let their studios say that stuff
it's not like the fans were disagreeing. at the time, a year, year and a half after launch, i was seeing ps fans be happy about such statements and have the same reaction nintendo fans now (6 and a half years after launch) have about 3ds game announcement. just being annoyed and saying they'd rather the game was be on a console.
sony themselves didn't care one bit about vita, their studios weren't enthusiastic about it, the majority of their fans didn't care for it, i wonder why it failed

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's no way Sony is ignoring the success of the Switch. If there's one thing they're known for it's taking Nintendo's great ideas.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Competition is good for consumers, don't you think?

While I would love more handhelds, I do have to say something in response to your comment. Competition is already there because Switch is a hybrid console. It's competing against PlayStation 4 -- which is why Sony is more than happy to make sure third-parties skip the platform. Right now, Sony is the one in dire need of competition. They're so high at the top that they can make any exclusive deals they want to weed out competition. That's why you see a lot of exclusives for PS4 and so little for the competitors. That's anti-competitive. If you're talking about how Nintendo dominates the Japanese market, then there is nothing to change that. Mobile is killing home consoles -- not Nintendo. Sony making a new handheld wouldn't do much against Nintendo in Japan. If they make a hybrid console like Nintendo, then that's a different scenario.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
It's a crowded market at the low end - dominated by mobile games that cost nothing to play.

Nintendo made a play at getting 'console' quality games portable which worked.

While Sony tried that with the Vita but was hindered by it being too close to a mobile device.

Fine margins.

Also people are willing to pay for a mario/zelda machine.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way Sony is ignoring the success of the Switch. If there's one thing they're known for it's taking Nintendo's great ideas.
but what can they do? a hybrid ps4 isn't possible now or in the new future, so of course a hybrid ps5 wouldn't be possible. a hybrid ps3 probably isn't possible because of ps3's architecture, and even if it was, ps3 is a dead platform with no upcoming games, can't have a successful platform just on the back of already existing game without the excitement of upcoming games. vita can't be it either, it's done and it's library isn't that exciting.
their only option is to create a whole new platform, with it's own games, and if sony has proven anything it's that they can only focus on one successful platform at a time and support one platform.
i know they want to have a hybrid on the market, but i think they realize it's not doable for them at this time

Last edited:

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Yes, but the Vita had a $300 version, and that's what people look at... the premium model. That in tandem with needing a memory card, the console started at around $350.

If it came with a 4GB and there was no WiFi version, the system would have done considerably better. The larger memory cards needed to be cheaper, but the system also needed to come with one.

They raised the price for memory cards because the system was expensive to produce and they wanted to make up for that. it had an OLED screen in 2011 so maybe it was over engineered.
however, I believe it still wouldn't have sold very well even if it was cheaper. stealing Monster Hunter destroyed Sony's handheld business entirely (with other factors).

They are not ignoring it as much as they are forced to ignore it. a lot of things will stand in their way if they wanted to produce another handheld device: their developers won't make games for it and will ignore it like the Vita, and they won't be able to convince third parties to be fully behind the device after Vita's failure.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
don't have any plans for a Vita successor at this time.

have any plans for a Vita successor at this time???

any plans for a Vita successor at this time??

plans for a Vita successor at this time.

plans for a Vita successor!

n0gny.jpg

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they'll go the hybrid route, probably just create another handheld.
Sony's main priority is to solidify the upcoming PS5 by giving it the best first party games it can get. Making handhelds is easy, but making games for it is hard. They are not going to waste valuable studio time on a handheld right now.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they create a Vita successor, they not only have to compete with Switch, they have to compete against their own ps4.

You will get tons of port beggers asking to port handheld games to ps4 just like how ps2 owners port begged for PSP games.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Like I wrote in the Vita end of production hread, Sony copies Nintendo, religiously. Also they don't like to give Nintendo the entire portable marketshare no matter how big or small it is. Sony are greedy. I expect them to come out with a Switch clone gimmick to compliment there VR line in some form down the road.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont even want to imagine an stream service tru Wifi

Well it would be akin to a 'portable/console' a la Switch with some on board hardware to help with limiting the information that has to actually be sent. Think the rumoured Microsoft Asure setup that just uses cloud gaming, granted you might be able told some older games like PS1/PS2/Mobile as direct downloads are coming to PSNOW this year.

But Sony better improve their traditionally shaky Wifi!

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Maybe they do not plan any proper Vita successor at the moment, but I would be surprised if they do not make a PS5 Portable Cloud Edition or something similar if the gaming streaming gets more popular in the next-generation. Nintendo is already doing that in Japan with some titles.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

The Vita launched with several major titles like Uncharted and Wipeout and had Killzone, Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice and others a year after launch. It's just that nobody gave a damn.
But that's factually wrong?
tumblr_m0gvhoSHGK1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg

The Vita had better launch games, clearly, but the 3DS got bigger games really quickly.
Including a new 3D Mario, a new Mario Kart and other big first party games in the first year. Resident Evil Revelations, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Street Fighter 4 and more from Capcom alone in the first year as well. Even more 3rd party support in the first year.
It didn't have to wait until 2013 to have good support, what are you talking about lol.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

Which should tell you that what you called "major titles" weren't so "major".

Nintendo support for 3DS wasn't good at launch (believing a casual franchise like Nintendogs could have carried a $250 handheld was stupid).
But already in 2011 Nintendo released games that would have sold > 5M (Zelda OoT 3D, SM3DL, MK7)

pYXtsVt.jpg

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
there won't be a successor to the Vita because they're planning a hybrid

Believe

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Shame this isn't happening anytime soon but if they ever go back to creating a portable system I will be there Day one as I'm invested in Sony's ecosystem far more than Nintendo's. In the meantime thou the Switch and PS Vita will cover my portable needs.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
We know that. Their focus is PS4/PS5 and PlayStation VR now.
Well they aren't ignoring the success of the PS4, which is more successful. So it's gonna be another powerful home console, like the PS4 and not a hybrid. Let Nintendo do the hybrid stuff now. Sony's focus is PS4/PS5, PlayStation VR and some mobile games from ForwardWorks.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
A Vita like with L2/R2 and SD card, that could run PS3 games (PS4 at 720p) would be a insta buy,
I fell a great need of a Vita 2 than a PS5.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
A hybrid PS4 portable device could be a ps vita successor? Would be interesting to see how they go about fitting all that base PS4 specs into a ps vita like handheld gaming device