Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
I think Guerrilla are actually building toward a two team studio. They said that they want to be able to release games every 2-3 years going forward. And last year they announced that they were hiring an additional 150 developers.
That's nice to hear. And I assume they will keep some staffs to support KojiPro next game (also working with them to develop Decima next gen version) since Kojima said he already worked on next game.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
This was a great learning experience for many though.

Now we know exactly what keywords (or lack thereof) and actions from Sony to look out for the next time they announce a 3rd-Party exclusive.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
If Kojima is such an important star and Sony had to agree to his terms in order to work together, why didn't he kept the ip for his studio ?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
He can't, Sony wants to retain all the IPs, this is the clause that every developers has to accept to partner with Sony.
They don't let studios keeping the IP.

Yep that way if the game blows up big the person \ company has to team up with them again if they want to make more.
It smart and it's to make sure another CB don't happen.

Oct 26, 2017
It's safe to assume Nioh 2, FFVII, Lost Soul Aside, and Granblue Fantasy Relink will also end up on PC. Maybe even Dreams.

All Tecmo Koei games are on PC and they launch day one, NiOh is the only exception because Sony is publishing the game in West, Nioh was released on Steam and the sequel will follow up for sure.

CyGames is interested about publishing their games on PC -> https://www.dualshockers.com/granblue-fantasy-versus-gets-new-details-on-accessibility-pc-version/

SE is porting every game they can on PC and FF7R will follow as well, maybe after KH3, since this one is still the biggest series missing.

Lost Soul Aside has to come up first :D

Jan 20, 2019
Im sorry if this is going to sound harsh, but you peopel are not very smart when it comes to bussiness decisions.

Sony is going to get a huge part of the sales because of the 8 months on the ps4 and they are going to get a huge cut from the sales on pc.

How is that a terrible decision?

They do the same for Nioh, FF7 and another timed exclusive games. It pays out, that is why they continue to do it.

Oct 25, 2017
So, for future reference:

1. Engine ownership
  2. IP ownership
  3. Massive funding
...do not mean anything if the contract was prior to it all. Lawyers for big companies will always envision and factor into the contract all of these things.

So, unless Sony gets up on stage and yells, "EXCLUSIVE!" for a game, it's not. Hell, even then, it might not be an exclusive.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
You might want to proofread your own post. It doesn't really make sense. I actually find it hard to understand.

And I'm not upset, lol. I'm laughing at you and other posters hot takes based on a simple pc release. It's comical!
I haven't once brought up the PC release in our conversation, there was plenty of evidence pointing to Kojima getting a really good deal from this before today, that's just the exclamation mark. So far (<that's important) he's got a fully funded game, funding to help set up a brand new studio, free access to WWS's resources, a pretty star studded cast and Sony have got a short timed exclusive game that will probably sell well, but I wouldn't say it's a safe bet, given how weird it is.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

1. Engine ownership
  2. IP ownership
  3. Massive funding
...do not mean anything if the contract was prior to it all. Lawyers for big companies will always envision and factor into the contract all of these things.

So, unless Sony gets up on stage and yells, "EXCLUSIVE!" for a game, it's not. Hell, even then, it might not be an exclusive.
+1

Exclusivity has to be stated directly by the developer.

Basically what Insomniac did; they made it clear on Twitter that Spider-Man is a permanent exclusive.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
All the signs were there before, so it was amusing watching the mental gymnastics/downplaying many users here were doing before. The meltdowns are real lol.

Happy that more people get to play this, though! I have to say, this isn't a great look for Sony exclusivity. Unable to secure Nioh, NieR as exclusives and having Detroit and Death Stranding coming to PC. I always saw Sony as having this iron chain on exclusives like Nintendo, not anymore.

You're reading far too much into this. Original press release had this title as console exclusive, the contract between KojiPro and Sony is not something they can breakaway with. There are plenty of exclusives developed by 3rd parties such as BloodBorne, Spider-Man, Until Dawn, Order 1886 etc. and they never arrived on PC. Going forward, only those exclusive titles (developed by 3rd parties) will hit PC later down the line if Sony thinks the full exclusivity isn't worth their money, FP titles are never heading to PC anyway.

1. Engine ownership
  2. IP ownership
  3. Massive funding

Exactly, these negotiations take a lot of time. I'm sure Sony must've bargained for few things at their end, same with KojiPro at the other and arrived at a mutually beneficial conclusion in the contract which was eventually entered.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is a lot of hate out there for Hideo Kojima. People who were adamant that the game would flop but are now celebrating the games 2020 PC release, is a bit of a head scratcher.

And now according to that thread Sony is going to put TLOU2 on PC too!?!?

That DS on PC thread is one of the craziest I've seen on era.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
This excites me. Any chance it's an Order sequel or have Sony given up on the franchise?

The way Ru Weerasuriya talked about The Order recently they seems to still want to work on it.

1. Engine ownership
  2. IP ownership
  3. Massive funding

If it's from a first party studio is likely to be exclusive (Dreams is a different case and this make sense to release it on others platform) but yeah i agree if it's from a third party and if Sony doesn't shout it's exclusive for Playstation it will be coming on PC.

Last edited:

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
There is a lot of hate out there for Hideo Kojima. People who were adamant that the game would flop but are now celebrating the games 2020 PC release, is a bit of a head scratcher.

And now according to that thread Sony is going to put TLOU2 on PC too!?!?

That DS on PC thread is one of the craziest I've seen on era.
Trolls

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yep that way if the game blows up big the person \ company has to team up with them again if they want to make more.
It smart and it's to make sure another CB don't happen.
Crash is Sony's biggest mistake...(second only to not buying Minecraft)That stupid bandicoot could've been the next Mario or Sonic.

Also guys, wtf do y'all care so much about what's completely exclusive, what's timed, etc...I know some of y'all ain't even PC players lol. Not trying to swing the discussion to my preference or anything but really, who the fook cares? Sony is making bank and is agreeing to put their IP elsewhere and it's having no negative impacts whatsoever. Everything is good??

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
The most baffling thing is that people on an enthusiast gaming site still can't wrap their head around what a first party game means.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Not anymore? Sony can refer however they want, Bloodborne was a 2nd Party title and production where they retain control of the IP. If the game wasn't actually locked down akin to the first party production than they were irresponsible in referring to it as a first party title (marketing reasons to be sure).

2nd Party is not a made up term, it exists internally and externally to denote third parties being or not being commissioned by a platform holder.
2nd party refers to the type of contract they have with the devs, not the status of the game that will be published by them. If a game is FULLY published by SIE, the game is a First-party title whether or not the game is developed internally or externally.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Sony needs to make sure that they have more 3rd party full exclusives next gen. If the only games that are fully exclusive to the PS5 are the 10 or so games that their own studios put out during the generation, I'll consider it a failure on their part. They have the money, they've closed down enough studios that they can afford several full exclusives next gen.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I'm still curious to see how Crash 4 will be.
The remaster was a huge successbut it was still the ND games.
I think many will give it a try but the magic might be loss without ND. Unless there's a team (current developer for crash)that legitimately wants to give the Mario devs a run for its money, my prediction is good not great sales for Crash 4 and then it dies out again like PS2 era Multi-plat Crash.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Just so I get this right here...

Kojima Productions signed the initial contract. So the marketing backing, first party engine and Sony's IP ownership had nothing to do with Death Stranding being published by 505 Games for PC. Sony was pretty vague about this for a long time anyway. Unlike Spider-Man, they didn't really say anything about Death Stranding being "exclusive". Additionally, they quietly removed "Only On PlayStation" branding from the game as well.

What I don't understand is why announce this 2 weeks before release and almost a week before the reviews drop?

Does this also mean the sequel will follow the same template? Assuming it becomes a big hit for Sony that is. Basically all in all, Sony publishing a game means nothing, (Nioh on PS4), owning an IP (Detroit, Helldivers, Death Stranding) or first party engine. Until they legitimately say "exclusive" from the top of their lungs, don't believe shit.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I think many will give it a try but the magic might be loss without ND. Unless there's a team that legitimately wants to give the Mario team a run for its money, my prediction is good sales for Crash 4 and then it dies out again like PS2 era Multi-plat Crash.
That is what I feel will happen too.
They tried to make several Crash games without ND, but it never worked. Even the Kart games did not feel right.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Sony needs to make sure that they have more 3rd party full exclusives next gen. If the only games that are fully exclusive to the PS5 are the 10 or so games that their own studios put out during the generation, I'll consider it a failure on their part. They have the money, they've closed down enough studios that they can afford several full exclusives next gen.
Err. I dont like the idea to block other console owners from playing 3rd party games. Those budgets can hire external developers to work on exclusive games

Status
Not open for further replies.