Status
Not open for further replies.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
i would love to day 1 it, but going by the type of game it is, i decided to hold off until i'll have more time to play it, last time i tried to play a slower paced game when i didnt have time to play it for longer stretches was RDR2 and it made me hate the game (i later returned to it when i had more time and ended up loving it), so i am betraying my avatar and waiting for a few months sadly.
It certainly seems like a game where you need to be in a certain headspace to enjoy it.
I love traversing open worlds in games so one built around that should be right up my street.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
So who's picking up Death Stranding on Friday......it's getting some glowing reviews and seems like it could be something special.....some couldn't get down with the traversal gameplay it seems and found it tedious but there are lots of reviewers saying it's a very special game overall.
It will be my first Kojima game so I'm pretty excited to see how it is.
Getting it friday.
Still no idea when I'm going to play it.

Oct 25, 2017
So who's picking up Death Stranding on Friday......it's getting some glowing reviews and seems like it could be something special.....some couldn't get down with the traversal gameplay it seems and found it tedious but there are lots of reviewers saying it's a very special game overall.
I'll be passing. I am intrigued about the world and what exactly is going on, but I lost interest in the gameplay after that 50min clip came out.
I just want GoT to be the love child of Tenchu and Souls. Some may assert that was what Sekiro was, but I don't share that sentiment. I'm hoping GoT's combat resembles Onimusha, Souls, and Sekiro -incorporating the best elements of those titles rather than building off the ideas present in Splinter Cell: Conviction and the Arkham series.

Everything thus far about the game looks great, however, combat is my only reservation. Really hoping it's a case substance and skill as opposed to style and spectacle.
I think the next showing will be quite impressive. The last time we saw anything from the game was over a year ago, so it should have improved a lot. Ghost is probably my most anticipated first party game now.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018

TGA trailer in 2017 sold me on this, I have this pre-ordered and I can't remember the last time I pre-ordered a game. Just the story and world are worth the experience, even though gameplay looks slow/repetitive.

Can't wait!

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Video starts with PSX logo and games begin to pop in chronologic order from PSX to PS4, Jim Ryan and Shu shows up talk about how Sony legacy it's important announces that PS5 will have access to all PS devices library, announces that Ape Scape Remake will be released on both PS4 and PS5 and that a new title from the series is in development for PS5 and we ll hear about it soon.
Announces that Bluepoint is now part of SIE and their mission is to make more classics remakes, tease Demons Souls.
Finish it with Jimbo playing Gran Turismo 3 on DualSchock 5 - first time we see it - looking at the camera and asking : "why would anybody play that?".
Dude....this is very very good...

someone repost to Shu

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I am! Kojima can be hit and miss for me but conceptually DS is unique, looks cool and I want to support it. If I don't like it it's no biggie, my backlog is massive.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

I'm going to rent it, the reviews are describing a game that i definitely don't like but we'll see.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
And now Death Stranding has an average rating higher than either major Microsoft title this year... the things ya'll make up I promise.

I mean, I'm not Nostradamus. I was pretty clearly talking about an hypothetical scenario. Happy it's doing well, honestly looking at the reviews, it looks suuuper interesting to me, and I really can't wait for Friday now. It feels incredibly far away though...

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Day one baby !

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

It's been a day one purchase since before they even showed the first teaser.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Little reminder how beautiful the japanese MediEvil boxart is:
medi3hkp7.jpg

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I mean, I'm not Nostradamus. I was pretty clearly talking about an hypothetical scenario. Happy it's doing well, honestly looking at the reviews, it looks suuuper interesting to me, and I really can't wait for Friday now. It feels incredibly far away though...

My bad... I was reading through a bunch at once and the doom and gloom made me a bit cynical.

I was referring to PlayStation as only having an advantage of first party next generation, not the hypothesis Death Stranding may not do well.

It seemed a bit doom & gloom based off of the same tone in this thread all year despite most of this year PlayStation has answered the questions about how they plan to stay leader in the marketplace and executing on it as well.

I'm not sure why folks are so pessimistic about what thus far looks like an excellent 2020 for PlayStation fans including upgraded hardware that will only make experiences with PlayStation better.

We should be prognosticating how great it will be and most of what I see is people saying PlayStation is going to be at a disadvantage for x number of reasons or has given no reason to want a new PlayStation.

I feel like this thread should be way more fun for an industry leader. Instead, it feels like so much time is spent on snark or prognosticating failure or analyzing things in zero sum ways.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
My bad... I was reading through a bunch at once and the doom and gloom made me a bit cynical.

I was referring to PlayStation as only having an advantage of first party next generation, not the hypothesis Death Stranding may not do well.

It seemed a bit doom & gloom based off of the same tone in this thread all year despite most of this year PlayStation has answered the questions about how they plan to stay leader in the marketplace and executing on it as well.

I'm not sure why folks are so pessimistic about what thus far looks like an excellent 2020 for PlayStation fans including upgraded hardware that will only make experiences with PlayStation better.

We should be prognosticating how great it will be and most of what I see is people saying PlayStation is going to be at a disadvantage for x number of reasons or has given no reason to want a new PlayStation.

I feel like this thread should be way more fun for an industry leader. Instead, it feels like so much time is spent on snark or prognosticating failure or analyzing things in zero sum ways.
Hear me out on my theory. The tone is like this because the majority of users (say 60/40) discuss games and the industry more than they play. And I'm not knocking them, much easier to start texting on a phone than commit to a game, especially these long open world experiences of today.

I think because of that there's an over emphasis on every aspect of Playstation instead of seeing the Forest from the trees and kinda ya know, celebrating as a fan of the brand.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
The truth is, these days, a game lives and dies almost entirely before anyone outside of reviewers ever gets their hands on it. Nobody really likes to talk about games that are already out.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying Death Stranding but I'm getting it physical because I'm not certain I will like it. So I can get some of my money back in the event I don't like it.

Miggy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda 50/50 on Death Stranding. I'll probably watch the gameplay video's again and then make my final decision.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I could honestly not get through RDR2 for more than a couple chapters. So a game that double downs on traversal as gameplay just does not seem to be on the cards.

kingkenny76

Oct 31, 2017
I know right!? I mean, you can tell them there is Dreams, The Last Guardian, MLB The Show, Bloodborne, Driveclub, Fat Princess Adventures, Guns Up!, Concrete Genie, Helldivers, Matterfall, Resogun, Gravity Rush, Knack, Entwined, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Hustle Kings, Super Stardust Ultra, Bound, Kill Strain, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway Unfolded, Ratchet & Clank, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Shadow of the Beast, Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, LittleBigPlanet 3, Hohokum, CounterSpy, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, The Unfinished Swan, SingStar, Wipeout Omega Collection, Hidden Agenda, Erica, Shadow of the Colossus, MediEvil, etc. etc. etc! And these are just some of the non-VR titles.
Show me the list of Nintendo's or Microsoft's new IPs that aren't cinematic 3rd person adventures. Guess which one's longer?
Then you will hear the excuse "Yeah, but most of them didn't get made by their AAA teams / those aren't AAA games." Like... no shit? Of course they aren't. Those games won't sell 5 to 10+ million copies. But they are still getting made and they look good. They don't need an AAA budget. I'm a huge JRPG fan. I'm totally fine with Sony creating AA JRPGs. I know those JRPGs won't sell 5 million copies. Make AA JRPGs like Nintendo did with Xenoblade Chronicles. That's perfectly fine.
But certain people are only looking at those big Sony AAA games like The Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc. and come to the conclusion that Sony "only" makes cinematic 3rd person action adventures. Like.... yeah, everybody is talking about them because that's what most people want and buy from Sony. That's why TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted, Death Stranding, Spider-Man, etc. are selling over (or will sell over) 10+ million copies. That's why these games are getting a big marketing push at launch and why everybody is looking at them. But does Sony only create "cinematic 3rd person action adventures"? No. So whenever you hear that claim, you know immediately that this dude knows jack shit about Sony's 1st party output. But they keep pretending ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony should give us a Remaster MotorStorm Trilogy collection with HDR and updated/tweaked models, textures etc...

all running at 60fps

give it the WipeEout treatment

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I could honestly not get through RDR2 for more than a couple chapters. So a game that double downs on traversal as gameplay just does not seem to be on the cards.

I had a discussion about this with a friend earlier actually. I also got really bored with RDR and even if I did finish it I wouldn't say I was enjoying my time with it. Mostly because you're constantly on your horse riding from one objective to the next one. But DS still has me pretty excited because, as far as I understand it, the traversal is the actual objective in a way and not just something that'll be there as filler.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Sony should give us a Remaster MotorStorm Trilogy collection with HDR and updated/tweaked models, textures etc...

all running at 60fps

give it the WipeEout treatment
The irony of that can't be lost on everyone right? An Evolution Studios game (even if only remastered) ACTUALLY meeting the deadline for a new Playstation console launch....
I'll see myself out

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Since DS is about the new way of walking, would a potential sequel be better if he extended this engagement to other aspects of the game?

in other words, a learning curve to shooting, walking, climbing, etc...I'm wondering if Sam is a porter, what a soldier would play like in the world of DS. Hoping this is a franchise either way.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Since we're on the subject of box arts, I saw this article yesterday (and maybe it got posted here already)...

The likes of Horizon: Zero Dawn and Bloodborne are great PlayStation 4 games, but what if they'd launched on the PSone? Reddit user IanMazgelis has reimagined the aforementioned exclusives, along with Gravity Rush 2 and NieR: Automata, with some fairly authentic looking 90s cover art. The results speak for themselves:

psone-playstation-1.original.jpg

The Gravity Rush 2 one is nightmare fuel because the dude used Kat's creepy chibi model from Everybody's Golf, but the other three are on point.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
I had a discussion about this with a friend earlier actually. I also got really bored with RDR and even if I did finish it I wouldn't say I was enjoying my time with it. Mostly because you're constantly on your horse riding from one objective to the next one. But DS still has me pretty excited because, as far as I understand it, the traversal is the actual objective in a way and not just something that'll be there as filler.
The best way of putting how i felt playing is having GTA V's map be mostly forest/mountain roads/highways (or at the very least a LOT less city) and only being able to drive a pick-up truck. I can not, nor will I ever understand how people can honestly think that RDR 2's open world is anywhere near as enjoyable to roam as (just about any) GTA game.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
So my prediction/guess is

Japan Studio Game: Ape Escape
Sony Bend: Demon Souls Remake
Naughty Dog: TLOU MP --- Launch Window
HouseMarque Game: Idk about this one since if it is AAA it could be far off from launching near the launch window
Sony Bend ? They just made Days Gone and will probably continue with that franchise (and I doubt they have enough resources to do a DS Remake in such short time)

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
So my prediction/guess is

Japan Studio Game: Ape Escape
Blue Point: Demon Souls Remake
Naughty Dog: TLOU MP --- Launch Window
HouseMarque Game: Idk about this one since if it is AAA it could be far off from launching near the launch window
I would swap Ape Escape with Ratchet and Clank, I think that they are both just as likely to launch on PS5's debut (Insomniac has multiple teams + they pump out Ratchet games fast), but Sony would kill to be able to have Ratchet on launch. Placing Ape against Ratchet would likely end up in Ape Escape bombing...

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I would swap Ape Escape with Ratchet and Clank, I think that they are both just as likely to launch on PS5's debut (Insomniac has multiple teams + they pump out Ratchet games fast), but Sony would kill to be able to have Ratchet on launch. Placing Ape against Ratchet would likely end up in Ape Escape bombing...
hmmm that is true

space out the next R&C and Ape Escape then I guess

R&C being a launch game makes more sense too

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
I find it, just incredibly amusing and sad, that we are talking about PS5 launch lineup, yet no one is bringing Gran Turismo up. Frankly, with the sorry state of Polyphony right now, we are more likely to see Horizon Zero Dawn 2 or TLOU Part III before GT7.... Prologue

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought about it a lot, and given my backlog and what I've seen in reviews, I decided to cancel my pre order (did the same for Fallen Order, though this one is looking better with time).
Black Friday is right around the corner, and I know I'll grab more cheap stuff then (hoping for Odyssey and Sinking City).
I can wait a month or two.
Whatever will occupy my Hilday vacation (10ish days) will be between Outer Worlds, Death Stranding and Fallen Order.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I find it, just incredibly amusing and sad, that we are talking about PS5 launch lineup, yet no one is bringing Gran Turismo up. Frankly, with the sorry state of Polyphony right now, we are more likely to see Horizon Zero Dawn 2 or TLOU Part III before GT7.... Prologue
Yeah we can't trust Polyphony, efficiency wise...

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

GT7 gonna be part of the launch line up.
A cross gen title but still I'm expecting it to be one of the RT showcases of PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is the reason why I think Death Stranding might hit the right note with me. I get bored with "press forward" type of open world games after a while (if they are long games like RDR2), but it's more exciting to move around in games like Spider-Man where you are way more active with the character and moving from A to B can be fun. I assume flat terrain doesn't require much attention in Death Stranding, though.

It's going to be interesting to see how Guerrilla Games evolves Aloy's traversing in Horizon sequel. Generally I'm hoping the open world game design next-gen is about making the journey more interesting and making sure there's a lot of interesting stuff along the way, and not "it's three times bigger open world than in RDR2!".

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since we're on the subject of box arts, I saw this article yesterday (and maybe it got posted here already)...

psone-playstation-1.original.jpg

The Gravity Rush 2 one is nightmare fuel because the dude used Kat's creepy chibi model from Everybody's Golf, but the other three are on point.
Looking good, but the Bloodborne and Horizon ones are awesome.
It's the sorry state of the racing genre these days. Like, I simply don't care about racing games anymore. Back in the PS1 and PS2 days I bought almost all of them. Today it's just like .... "Yeah, no. Give me my story-based singleplayer games."
But I wouldn't say no to a nice arcade racer like "Rollcage". Sony funding a new Rollcage game on the PS5 would be awesome :)
Give Firesprite a nice budget and let them make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.