Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else, it's really impressive that Sony consistently gets really good directors to get on board for the movie. A lot of game movies struggle to find even a halfway decent director to sign on for a movie.

Oct 27, 2017
So July 2021 for the next Spider-Man movie ? It's not like Marvel's Spider-Man 2 would need it, but this could be a credible window for Insomniac to release the big PS5 sequel.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Big Jimbo had to step in once he realized that, unfortunately, Tom Rothman still works at Sony Pictures.
ibelieveinjimbo2xjf7.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A bit off topic but Spider-Man back in MCU
variety.com

Spider-Man Will Stay in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

After briefly breaking up, Sony Pictures and Marvel have found a way to get back in the Spider-Man business together.

Thank fuck for that. We are saved from Sony owned live action Spidey movies (Though ironically they smashed it out the park with the animated movie Spiderverse, which is probably my favourite Spidey movie). Also means (not that there was any issue to begin with) Spidey 2 for the PS5 should be a forgone conclusion. I know its all separate departments and what have you, but I still had the nagging thought that Disney might be petty enough to cancel any possible second videogame if this got real ugly.

Oh, and going back to that amazing TLOU2 animation, what I can appreciate the most is just how damn fluid and perfect the action is in that bit - I'm playing Evil Within at the moment and while you can kinda do similar actions (throwing a bottle to stun enemy, melee them), TLOU2 does it in a way that's a whole generation or two ahead of what other games are doing. Hype rising steadily!

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
So July 2021 for the next Spider-Man movie ? It's not like Marvel's Spider-Man 2 would need it, but this could be a credible window for Insomniac to release the big PS5 sequel.
Sony will definitely keep that September slot for the next Spider-Man PS5 after the success of the first one
A perfect date to keep momentum during Black Friday to push bundles and then Christmas

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
There are currently three different versions of PII in Amazon's best selling games, and 3/6 best selling PS4 games at Gamestop are PII.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I've watched this gif over and over and I keep seeing new details, it's incredible how many little details ND managed to squeeze into such a small moment that could play out differently based on the player...

hammere687e6efd6d700b2.gif

The curtain, the bottle causing facial injuries, the NPC reaching for her neck after being stabbed, the blood spray and spray from the neck wound covering the NPCs trousers, the facial animation, the smooth transition between knife and hammer attack. It's all insane.
Also Ellie looks down when shes about to grab the hammer to see whers the hammer. Freaking next level animations. So much atention to detail. And the way the enemy head and body leans after being hit by the hammer. Perfection.

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us sold "way more" than 17 million units, according to Neil Druckmann.

"It's way more (than 17 million) actually, but we're not going to communicate now about those numbers", he told The Figaro during this week's event.

It's no surprise of course since the 17 million figures was revealed in June 2018.

Also about the headcount :

"Right now we have 350 people internally to finish the game, and we had 250 people in average during the main development phase between 2016 and 2018", Druckmann said.

It's interesting because it was thought, partially because of LinkedIn, that ND was much bigger, but it's very possible there are more people in ND already working on the next project, those guys would not be included in the 350 headcount. And maybe Druckmann is not even counting the online team, since their work is not going to be part of TLOU Part II anyway.

Apparently the team for the TLOU Part I was 170 people.

Also, in case it was missed in this thread, Mat Piscatella said The Last of Us is the third best selling PlayStation exclusive in US history, after Spider-Man and God of War 2018. Horizon and God of War III are ranked 4 and 5.

So the PlayStation top 5 of all time in the US is (in value)

1) Marvel's Spider-Man from Insomniac Games (PS4, 2018)
2) God of War from Santa Monica Studio (PS4, 2018)
3) The Last of Us from Naughty Dog (PS3, 2013 / PS4, 2014)
4) Horizon Zero Dawn from Guerilla Games (PS4, 2017)
5) God of War III from Santa Monica Studio (PS3, 2010 / PS4, 2015)

Last edited:

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
You're telling me an open world game is different than a linear game? Who could've seen that coming.
Well, if the last two years are anything to go by, I'd say a lot of blind people didn't want to see it coming. Or don't you remember any of the hundreds, relentless comments since this forum started, saying Days Gone shouldn't exist because "we" already have TLOU, among other niceties? It's a nice change of tune from those days, with nobody saying things like that now.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Well, if the last two years are anything to go by, I'd say a lot of blind people didn't want to see it coming. Or don't you remember any of the hundreds, relentless comments since this forum started, saying Days Gone shouldn't exist because "we" already have TLOU, among other niceties? It's a nice change of tune from those days, with nobody saying things like that now.
Oh I know, I'm just saying that anyone with eyes could've seen that the games were nothing alike lol.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
The Last of Us sold "way more" than 17 million units, according to Neil Druckmann.

"It's way more (than 17 million) actually, but we're not going to communicate now about those numbers", he told The Figaro during this week's event.

It's no surprise of course since the 17 million figures was revealed in June 2018.

Also about the headcount :

"Right now we have 350 people internally to finish the game, and we had 250 people in average during the main development phase between 2016 and 2018", Druckmann said.

It's interesting because it was thought, partially because of LinkedIn, that ND was much bigger, but it's very possible there are more people in ND already working on the next project, those guys would not be included in the 350 headcount. And maybe Druckmann is not even counting the online team, since their work is not going to be part of TLOU Part II anyway.

Apparently the team for the TLOU Part I was 170 people.

Also, in case it was missed in this thread, Mat Piscatella said The Last of Us is the third best selling PlayStation exclusive in US history, after Spider-Man and God of War 2018. Horizon and God of War III are ranked 4 and 5 (I'm not sure if Mat includes God of War III Remastered).

So the PlayStation top 5 of all time in the US is (in value)

1) Marvel's Spider-Man from Insomniac Games (PS4, 2018)
2) God of War from Santa Monica Studio (PS4, 2018)
3) The Last of Us from Naughty Dog (PS3, 2013 / PS4 2014)
4) Horizon Zero Dawn from Guerilla Games (PS4, 2017)
5) God of War III from Santa Monica Studio (PS3, 2010)
Thanks for sharing

The way how he said they don't communicate about TLOU numbers means they will update about TLOU sales later

Another quote
I don't think about the future or about cloud gaming. I just want to release The Last of Us Part II. Fact is Sony is leader and they let us have a total creative freedom

Last edited:

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
As long as Disney foots the bill (25% of total budget for 25% of net gains), I guess the deal is a good one for Sony. Though they practically went back to the proposal rejected not long ago.
Oh I know, I'm just saying that anyone with eyes could've seen that the games were nothing alike lol.
There I agree with you. ;) I'm not the biggest Days Gone fan, but if there's been a recent game people wanted to see go up in flames, it has to be this one.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for sharing

The way how he said they don't communicate about TLOU numbers means they will update about TLOU sales later

Another quote
We already know that TLOU1 sold over 20 million copies. Just like Uncharted 4 sold over 16 million already. But I want an official update (for God of War and Days Gone, too).

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I thought the same thing yeah, also I've just edited my post due to receiving the answer from Mat : the ranking does include sales from the PS4 remastered version for both TLOU and GOW III.
Too bad NPD didn't include bundles, according to Zhuge, Uncharted 4 sold 4m copies through bundles (in US only)

As long as Disney foots the bill (25% of total budget for 25% of net gains), I guess the deal is a good one for Sony. Though they practically went back to the proposal rejected not long ago.
The problem is if Disney co-finance at 25% (and I'm not sure they will) to have 25% profits, they will not co-finance the marketing

And we do know that marketing spends for that kind of blockbuster usually costs between $130-200m, so even if Disney help with production cost, that's not « fair »
But I guess that's the price Sony has to pay to be in the MCU and to enjoy the MCU popularity

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
goddamn 350 people are working on this? time to update the OP
I remember back then around 150 people working on the first TLOU

Status
Not open for further replies.