• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
You are talking about older titles?
Because surely, the >10 million sellers are not going to be re-released on Sony, it's not like that's guarantee money
Spider-Man, God of War and Horizon will still ONLY have a PS4 SKU in 2020 and above according to your logic, and that's a good business decision as well.

I'm not the one insufferable here, i'm just realistic and bye.

Yeah, cos what's gonna sell more? GoW2, Spidey 2 etc? They will get perfrormancee patches.
They want new titles out, not teams working on old titles..

How many remasters last gen did huge huge sales?? TLOU of course. What other 5 or 6 titles did a shit ton?

And games releasing same year as ps5 will be cross gen.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Sony wants money but they aren't stupid either.

In promoting BC with PS4, they will come out the gate with a commitment that *insert high profile PS4 first-party game* will be patched to take advantage of PS5's power at no additional cost.

However, I expect that not all games will have that. All the first-party games that matter, but stuff like Gravity Rush 2, Knack, Uncharted Collection will all play the same, or have only the base-system level improvements like super-sampling and boost mode.

Then in 2021 - or right before their sequel games get announced, they'll announce a PS5 version of Spidey/GoW/etc - which will come at a low price and might potentially have just that little bit extra oomph that isn't in the PS4-patch version.
Yeh smart money is on this. There is far less of a market for remasters when you can just buy a cheap PS4 version and I think there will be less droughts early next gen compared to this gen which really made remasters necessary. Also porting games from PS3 actually took a decent amount of resources, a team within ND was working on TLOU remastered for 6 months. For PS5 bumping resolution and frame rate will be far cheaper so it just make sense to earn some good will and release upgrades as free patches.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Why is everyone saying they will suddenly change engine?? 🤔

There's been no news about it and now it's an engine change??

Also I remember people salavating at mass effect in frostbite, and look how that turned out.

Engines are only good if your whole team knows how to use them

Sony made them stop showing the game. Wild Shep devs spotted at Guerrilla Games.

Oct 27, 2017
WiLD is probably next gen, and probably won't be seen again until BG&E2 is out. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Ugh, I hope not. BG&E2 looks absurdly ambitious and I don't expect it will be out for a few more years.

Why is everyone saying they will suddenly change engine?? 🤔

There's been no news about it and now it's an engine change??

Also I remember people salavating at mass effect in frostbite, and look how that turned out.

Engines are only good if your whole team knows how to use them

I think GG people have visited Wild Sheep Studio (or maybe vice versa) leading people to speculate that they're using Decima.

Oct 1, 2019
It was 100% alive and well in April, at the very least. And in the same time no one at Sony ever mentioned this game when talking about PS4 last releases. So yeah it's easy maths, rendez-vous at the PlayStation Meeting next year for this one.
Thank you for the link. Interesting article. Looks like Sony is trying to keep the game under wraps for now. I don't think the folks at Wild Sheep Studios would allow for this kind of interview if their project is close to getting cancelled.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Seems like part II thread won't hold up till TLoU II, delay ruined it all, we would have been playing it in 3 months.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm replaying Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and I think it might have the best visuals of any game I have played this gen (NB - I haven't played Death Stranding yet). It's just so gorgeous and colourful and ND make the most beautiful environments, with the giant statues and caverns and so on. I love the wide-open environments where you can drive the jeep and I really think it's a tight and slick game that is much better than UC4 because it has none of the tiresome padding that game had. I'm not quite finished yet (one more chapter to go) and I'm working my way towards the Platinum - got to finish this playthrough on Crushing and then got a bunch of incidental trophies to collect like killing 4 enemies with the jeep, stealth 15 enemies in a row, blow up the APC with loads of C4, etc. I should have it done within a night or two and then I think I'm going to finally start Soma.

I also finished playing Ratchet & Clank, which my son has been mostly playing but needed me to do the last level. Was pretty good. I like a lot of the sci-fi elements and honestly I'd love to see Insomniac work on a proper sci-fi game and/or turn R&C into a deeper game with some proper RPG mechanics.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I know you guys might get mad at me, but i'm glad it got delayed because March is insanely loaded and i didn't want to get flooded with games and feel like i need to rush through.
Hopefully, the 3 months delay will do the game good.

Stable framerate, minimal to non-existence bugs & glitches, little to no big ass day one patch, etc.

Or not...

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I know you guys might get mad at me, but i'm glad it got delayed because March is insanely loaded and i didn't want to get flooded with games and feel like i need to rush through.

I'm with you. TLOU was way to close to FFVII for me. 2 of my most anticipated games EVER in the span of one week? That's too much awesome at the same time.

Last edited:

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
The Japanese magazine Famitsu are hosting a 'corporate' Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on November 22nd. Participants in the tournament are as follows; Sun-Star, Sugiko and PlayStation. That's right, you are reading this correctly, PlayStation will have some employees joining in on a Nintendo IP tournament. While the specifics of who the PlayStation employees were left out of the announcement, Nintendo Life do detail that the players attending will from Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Oct 25, 2017
I completed Death Stranding. I highly recommended it. Such a fascinating and unique gameplay experience and it's definitely going to be in my top games of the generation. I was enamored by the gameplay the entire time and spent a good 60 hours in about a week, which is something I rarely do on a game.

With that said, it is hilarious to me how much the rest of the industry has utterly lapped Kojima in writing. He's good at creative concepts but his writing is awful. The writing and story of Death Stranding are so vapid and hollow, that the game often just repeats the same thing over and over just to prolong cutscene time.

Days Gone should best it at awards for story and writing, that's for sure. I'm not even a fan of Days Gone's story but it runs circles around Death Stranding.

Oct 25, 2017
I completed Death Stranding. I highly recommended it. Such a fascinating and unique gameplay experience and it's definitely going to be in my top games of the generation. I was enamored by the gameplay the entire time and spent a good 60 hours in about a week, which is something I rarely do on a game.

With that said, it is hilarious to me how much the rest of the industry has utterly lapped Kojima in writing. He's good at creative concepts but his writing is awful. The writing and story of Death Stranding are so vapid and hollow, that the game often just repeats the same thing over and over just to prolong cutscene time.

Days Gone should best it at awards for story and writing, that's for sure. I'm not even a fan of Days Gone's story but it runs circles around Death Stranding.
Whoa...I agree but whoa still cuz prime 😮

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019

Yep. I haven't properly played a Kojima game in a while, I couldn't really get into V, but it seems to me like he's got worse. Some bits of individual character writing are fine and he's always pretty good at giving each an interesting gimmick to stand out. The themes are fairly interesting.

Though the overall story, plot and dialogue are all over the place. I can see why reviewers would rate the game low if they don't like the gameplay because it's the most interesting thing in it by a mile and the story isn't good enough to sustain it.

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa...I agree but whoa still cuz prime 😮

It's absolutely a compliment to Days Gone.

But also, the Death Stranding ending was such a fucking bore. I'm impressed that I managed to sit though it. I rolled my eyes a good few times as characters started to repeat the same thing again and again.

Could you imagine Days Gone as if written by Kojima?

The final boss fight would take place in Saint John Church, where as Deacon is about to kill the final boss, that boss would interrupt with a two hour cutscene to explain to Deacon that his parents named him after John, a man who was obsessed with revenge and murder much like Deacon, but they also gave him the name Saint because they wanted him to be different (there'd be a portion of the cutscene here where the boss, bloodied and beaten, would write Saint in the dirt and explain the English meaning of the word alongside a brief history because everything is connected).

Deacon would come to the realization that his entire character arc is premised solely around his name, and having no other room for nuance in his entire arc, would spare the boss in accordance with the name his prophetic parents bestowed on him.

Then near the end, Boozer would arrive and make sure to repeat much of that again to Deacon, to really make sure he understood everything he spent the last two hours listening to. Just incase Deacon dozed off for a second or two in the middle.

Brilliant. Bravo! I regret my words and deeds regarding Deacon's name.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's absolutely a compliment to Days Gone.

But also, the Death Stranding ending was such a fucking bore. I'm impressed that I managed to sit though it. I rolled my eyes a good few times as characters started to repeat the same thing again and again.

Could you imagine Days Gone as if written by Kojima?

The final boss fight would take place in Saint John Church, where as Deacon is about to kill the final boss, that boss would interrupt with a two hour cutscene to explain to Deacon that his parents named him after John, a man who was obsessed with revenge and murder much like Deacon, but they also gave him the name Saint because they wanted him to be different (there'd be a portion of the cutscene here where the boss, bloodied and beaten, would write Saint in the dirt and explain the English meaning of the word alongside a brief history because everything is connected).

Deacon would come to the realization that his entire character arc is premised solely around his name, and having no other room for nuance in his entire arc, would spare the boss in accordance with the name his prophetic parents bestowed on him.

Then near the end, Boozer would arrive and make sure to repeat much of that again to Deacon, to really make sure he understood everything he spent the last two hours listening to. Just incase Deacon dozed off for a second or two in the middle.

Brilliant. Bravo! I regret my words and deeds regarding Deacon's name.
You're crazy, chapter 14 was the best in the game and one of the best endings, the one before it? I can see why it would be annoying but I didn't mind it.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
You're crazy, chapter 14 was the best in the game and one of the best endings, the one before it? I can see why it would be annoying but I didn't mind it.

Agreed chap 14 was superb.

No doubt kojimas exposition is rough, but it's not as bad as prime is spewing. No where near. Days gone stort was fine, but it was kinda play by the book, DS overall arch was superb

Oct 25, 2017

Crazy? The entire ending was dog shit and one of the worst endings I've experienced this year.

"Hello, allow me to explain to you why I'm named this and why my entire arc is premised around this name."

Kojima's writing is some bad, bad shit.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So DS 5 patent leaked :

it is chunkier than DS4 for sure and it has the built in mic For PS assist and possibly a tiny screen or touch pad :
DS4 vs DS5 patents drawings

i7v2SBB.png

Also no light bar and usb type C :

1645826_000007.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Can we not do ending spoilers (even vague allusions) in non-Death Stranding thread. There's OTs and Spoiler threads for a reason.

That's fair but I made sure on my end that there are no spoilers, so don't feel like I've given something away. My illustrations are basically long held issues with Kojima's over expository writing where he treats the viewer like an idiot who is incapable of remembering lines said 5 minutes ago.

None of it actually has to do with the plot substance that you'll see later on in the game.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I haven't properly played a Kojima game in a while, I couldn't really get into V, but it seems to me like he's got worse. Some bits of individual character writing are fine and he's always pretty good at giving each an interesting gimmick to stand out. The themes are fairly interesting.

Though the overall story, plot and dialogue are all over the place. I can see why reviewers would rate the game low if they don't like the gameplay because it's the most interesting thing in it by a mile and the story isn't good enough to sustain it.
Maybe his story writing should go back to being about small closed environments, seems to me the bigger the worlds, the more it distracts him in writing. MGS V was so lite on story, sad to hear the same about Death Stranding :(

Oct 27, 2017
So DS 5 patent leaked :

it is chunkier than DS4 for sure and it has the built in mic For PS assist and possibly a tiny screen or touch pad :
DS4 vs DS5 patents drawings

i7v2SBB.png

Also no light bar and usb type C :

1645826_000007.jpg

Looks good. I like the DS4 design a lot; I just want the build quality on the DS5 to be much better and the battery to last about 5x longer!

Thank God that they're keeping the touch pad.

I'd love to see more games make proper use of it. I think the game I've played that has done it the best to date has been Killzone: Shadow Fall.
Won't not having the light bar mess with backwards compatibility? Especially with PS VR?

It could be that they've got the same results without using a physical light bar? Using infrared or something similar.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Prime is exaggerating there, in fact I would say the worst writing is in the beginning, the more it goes, the more I find it good, especially Heartman's dialogue are great.

Edit :

New info, I'm guessing a magazine blowout?

This is also interesting...

Unrelated to Babylon's Fall, Saito mentions that there are also several other projects underway.
Is Saito the producer on it ? For other projects he might be speaking of Yoko taro's next project ! Hype !

Status
Not open for further replies.