• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sight & Sound is one of the more prestigious film publications in the world. Every year they poll well over a hundred international film critics and other individuals to put together a ranking list of the best films. You might know them from their "Greatest Films of All Time" poll they do every decade that asks hundreds of critics and directors and is considered by some to be the definitive list of "greatest films" (Was Citizen Kane for 70 years until Vertigo knocked it off the pedestal).

Last year, they polled about 180 "international critics and curators". These were the results.
1: Get Out
2: Twin Peaks: The Return
3: Call Me By Your Name
4: Zama
5: Western
6: Faces Places
7: Good Time
8: Loveless
9=: Dunkirk
9=: The Florida Project

This year they've begun the countdown to the top 10 by currently releasing the results of 20-11. You will notice some repeats with the previous year. This is because they let film critics in international countries nominate films for the years in which they were released in their locations. The final results will be revealed December 11th (I think).

https://www.bfi.org.uk/best-films-2018

18=: Western
18=: The Rider
18=: Faces Places
17: Sorry to Bother You
14=: Shoplifters
14=: Shirkers
14=: The Other Side of the World
13: BlacKkKlansman
12: If Beale Street Could Talk
11: The Image Book

Some notable omissions thus far, and presumably that will make it into the top 10, are The Favourite, Roma, First Reformed, Shoplifters, Burning, and Cold War.

What are your guesses for the top 10, and for the number one spot?

Edit: They put it all up now. The top 10 is as follows:
9=: Happy As Lazzaro
9=: Zama
7=: The Favourite
7=: You Were Never Really Here
6=: Leave No Trace
5: First Reformed
4: Cold War
3: Burning
2: Phantom Thread (Oh yeah, I forgot that this would probably count for this year)
1: Roma

Roma got it by a good number of votes, too.

Last edited:

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
i put money on MI:FALLOUT being in the top 10. SUSPIRIA will be somewhere in that mix too.

OP
OP
Brian McDoogle
Oct 25, 2017
9=: Happy As Lazzaro
9=: Zama
7=: The Favourite
7=: You Were Never Really Here
6=: Leave No Trace
5: First Reformed
4: Cold War
3: Burning
2: Phantom Thread (Oh yeah, I forgot that this would probably count for this year)
1: Roma

Roma got it by a good amount of votes, too.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cool list, I think Shoplifters deserved to be in the top 10. But I like the inclusion of Burning, You Were Never Really Here and Roma, although I maybe wouldn't put Roma at the top. Will check out The Favourite and Cold War later this month!

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Roma should win best picture. Utterly amazing for a movie with no plot, just scrapbook memories of a director following a set of character and their lives

The student scene
The hospital scene
The beach scene

No movie this year comes close to the emotion conveyed by the cinematography alone in those scenes

Iconic , every lasting. One of these scenes will break you down and you will say yes, this is it, the movie of the year

One of the scenes will make you clench your fist, one will make you cry and one will make you stop breathing.

Skippy

Alt-Account
Oct 8, 2018
Roma should win best picture. Utterly amazing for a movie with no plot, just scrapbook memories of a director following a set of character and their lives

The student scene
The hospital scene
The beach scene

No movie this year comes close to the emotion conveyed by the cinematography alone in those scenes

Iconic , every lasting. One of these scenes will break you down and you will say yes, this is it, the movie of the year

One of the scenes will make you clench your fist, one will make you cry and one will make you stop breathing.

Wow. I guess I should catch in the cinema.

I would include Eighth Grade in my top 10. An incredible movie.