xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Excited to see if there are any story implications in the next 4 movies or if the whole connection is Avatar 1. Just give me 6 years and I'll figure it out!

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It's James Cameron in the year 2022. If there's a way to synthesize her existing audio recordings from when she is younger into some sort of filter they can just apply to her lines, this mf is going to figure it out

I'm rooting for him. I just want to know what exactly they are doing to make this work. The Bob's Burgers or The Simpsons approach works when you're dealing with characters speaking in "funny voices" the entire time so I don't think that's an apt comparison. I mean the Luke Skywalker AI voice thingie didn't sound terrible, there was just something clearly missing that I can't put my finger on that gave away that they tempered with it.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
If they are going fully cyclical - and it looks like they are - some kind of technical solution to deliver convincing aged up or aged down dialogue is going to pay dividends down the line when the main cast is going to play old/young versions of themselves.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
From all the behind the scenes stuff I've watched over the years, she seems like a delight to work with. Also an excuse to post this:

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
From the makers of "highschool kids played by 30 year olds", we present you....

an adopted alien teenager played by an old woman

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There may be some twist to it but it could really just be as simple as Cameron wanting to work with Weaver again (and vice versa, especially since for Weaver it can't be a bad idea having another role in what's going to be one of the biggest movies ever).
They're definitely playing up the idea that she could be a reincarnation of Grace, since she died while being connected to Eywa. They may not even bring it up in the movie at all, but the suggestion is there.

But why not create an older character for her? A woman in her 70s playing a teenager is just weird.

She also played a much younger version of herself in the first movie, although in Navi form.

latest

edit: looks like they have similar skin patterns on their foreheads

orMB6lM.png

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's so ridiculous movies drop these bombs casually. It's a major plot thing in the movie. Wish they were way better at just keeping stuff under wraps.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't really on board with this, but I just found out she actually used to be a teenager in real life, so she definitely has the experience for it.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I bet it will kinda be her same character from the first movie. IIRC they tried to plug her consciousness into a Navi body permanently using the glowy tree thingy and it failed, but what if her soul lived on in the tree and was reincarnated?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Huh?

Wondering how they will pull off the voice. Lucasfilm had done a decent job at it with AI for Hamil and JEJ using old voice recordings to base it off, but I'm not sure the range is really there for a more expressive performance, especially with a bigger age gap they are attempting for a more energetic teenager.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I don't doubt that Sigourney will give us great performance.

Were half a year until the premiere!

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
They're definitely playing up the idea that she could be a reincarnation of Grace, since she died while being connected to Eywa. They may not even bring it up in the movie at all, but the suggestion is there.

Yeah, the first movie is mostly a blur to me since I only watched it once but I came to this thread thinking she was uploaded to the tree or something similar.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017

She also played a much younger version of herself in the first movie, although in Navi form.

latest

edit: looks like they have similar skin patterns on their foreheads

orMB6lM.png

Maybe it's a spare Avatar body at the lab with her DNA in it that somehow gained awareness?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Adoptive daughter? That's surprising considering she doesn't look like a typical Navi.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's that mystery solved
I don't know if we've solved all of it, but perhaps. We know Jake and Neytiri have also adopted Chet Hanks - I mean Spider after the RDA took off and left him behind as he was too young to make the Interstellar voyage back. Perhaps this is something similar?

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
on a tangential note I've been wondering when Sigourney Weaver will get her inevitable leading role in a well produced crime / detective tv drama

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I'm rooting for him. I just want to know what exactly they are doing to make this work. The Bob's Burgers or The Simpsons approach works when you're dealing with characters speaking in "funny voices" the entire time so I don't think that's an apt comparison. I mean the Luke Skywalker AI voice thingie didn't sound terrible, there was just something clearly missing that I can't put my finger on that gave away that they tempered with it.

The only thing I thought of was that the overwhelming majority of Mark Hamill's acting in the OT mostly just sounds like he's talking casual. In fact that was probably part of his appeal in OG Star Wars, it wasn't some high-brow sci-fi it was an adventure flick; Luke was just like a contemporary and relatable person. There's not a lot of scenes in the OT of him talking in some placid holier-than-thou instructor-like tone (there are some, particularly in ROTJ), but his AI voice scenes are all mostly like that because he's ostensibly a Jedi Master now.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I'll honestly ask here, why is everyone loosing their mind about this movies (franchise) CGI? Everything, literally, related to the Avatar characters looks so incredibly fake to me and uncanny valley, there is nothing that gets me sucked in because they all look so bad. I mean look at the OT screenshots. 😅
I'm with you. I found the first movie to be a bad version of Pocahontas with bland characters and terrible CGI. I love James Cameron but I don't get the love for Avatar.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
They brought her back in Resurrection, so why the fuck not here too.

You never need an excuse to cast Sigourney.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Avatar body connected to the secret tree cloud backup downloads Sigourney's spirit. Barely needs an explanation because no one will care because Signourney's back

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Can't be worse then Deniro playing young in The Irishman while hobbling around like an old prospector.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Avatar body connected to the secret tree cloud backup downloads Sigourney's spirit. Barely needs an explanation because no one will care because Signourney's back
Yup.

And since Stephen Lang was also great, nobody will mind him returning also. Even though he was speared twice [those arrows were as large as spears] and left without a mask.