• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

origin story huh

• Pyramid Head had a family which was murdered by James

Votes: 98 12.4%
  • you mean Red Pyramid Thing?

Votes: 49 6.2%
  • oh god no

Votes: 451 56.9%
  • i have faith (somehow)

Votes: 15 1.9%
  • hope we get the "date him" ending

Votes: 115 14.5%
  • now the dog ending better be in i swear

Votes: 62 7.8%
  • turns out its origin story was a misunderstanding from a store, huh

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Screenshot-20231104-120329-2.png

Best Buy listing for SH2R hints at new "origin story" to play through.

thanks dpanim for finding out.

It seems the "origin story" in the Best Buy listing might have been taken from an out-of-context quote from Masahiro Ito on the Canadian Gamestop website.

9bqt77qxcqyb1.png

In your restless dreams, do you see that town? SILENT HILL 2 is coming exclusively to PlayStation®5. Produced by KONAMI and developed by Bloober Team in collaboration with Akira Yamaoka and Masahiro Ito, the unsettling town shrouded in the brooding fog will be remade with enhanced visuals, sounds and gameplay.

The SILENT HILL 2 remake revisits main protagonist James Sunderland and his search for clues in the namesake town, after receiving a mysterious letter from his wife Mary… who has long been dead. Experience the eerie monsters and other manifestations of James' consciousness reworked after 20 years using state-of-the-art technology to play on modern entertainment systems in 4K.

Comment from Producer Motoi Okamoto (Production Manager):

SILENT HILL returns as a high-end game. We are proud to announce the release of SILENT HILL 2 for PlayStation®, the best of the SILENT HILL series. Look forward to this high-quality remake brought back to life by a group of horror game experts."

Comment from Composer Akira Yamaoka:

SILENT HILL is an inspiration to me. I am deeply grateful to be involved in a work that has been loved for such a long time. A new history is about to unfold again. Please look forward to the time when you can immerse yourself in that world again."

Comment from Concept artist Masahiro Ito:

Pyramid Head is coming back. A new journey for those who know the original, and his origin story for those who know that character. And... the most memorable journey of the man most closely associated with that monster.

Comment from Bloober Team CEO Piotr Babieno:

SILENT HILL 2 was the game that shaped our collective vision at Bloober Team. It's the game that started us on our adventure in game development. Now, we face an ultimate challenge. A challenge to translate our youthful memories of the ultimate game into a language that modern players can engage with, whilst at the same time crafting an experience true to the original. More than 20 years ago, a team of brilliant minds at KONAMI developed one of the most remarkable games in the history of electronic entertainment. In partnering together, KONAMI and Bloober Team will ensure that SILENT HILL 2 shines once again to set new standards for the genre and deliver an unforgettable experience for the next generation of fans. With our work, we are determined to showcase that Bloober Team is climbing the heights of what's possible and aiming for the peak in game development. We can't wait for the moment when Players will be able to see our work.

Last edited:

NTMBK

May 22, 2023
He started out as the CEO of a game streaming startup, then tried to launch a Silent Hill experience

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah this'll probably be bad if Bloober contribute even a single letter of dialogue to it. Reminder - one of their latest games wanted you to sympathise with the peodophile... yeah. Great fucking choice of a dev to work on SH2 there Konami...

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the origin story is a pure Bloober original or OG devs had some input. I can already see the 100 page thread about this when it releases lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the origin story is a pure Bloober original or OG devs had some input. I can already see the 100 page thread about this when it releases lol

I mean Masahiro Ito has been abundantly clear about what Pyramid Head is. Over and over again. For years. The last thing he would EVER sign on for is a new origin story for him.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The more I hear about this game, the more of a train wreck it sounds like.
Looking forward to it. Silent Hill is already dead and Konami already mutilated its corpse many times over. I find Blooper games to be pretty good at (unintentional?) comedy, so will probably have a look at some point.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Masahiro Ito has been abundantly clear about what Pyramid Head is. Over and over again. For years. The last thing he would EVER sign on for is a new origin story for him.

You're probably right lol I remember him being upset at Homecoming's Pyramid Head. Which makes this the likely case that it's 100% Bloober lol Oh gosh….I don't get how Pyramid Head can have an origin story when he's a manifestation born from James. Unless they're adding more to James 😬

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
All media is just Surf Dracula Remakes now. Once a character is recognizable, you have to give them a fully fleshed out backstory and prequel no matter how pointless or against the spirit of the original that might be. Gotta generate more content to go in the fan wikis, don't spare a single detail.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're probably right lol I remember him being upset at Homecoming's Pyramid Head. Which makes this the likely case that it's 100% Bloober lol Oh gosh….I don't get how Pyramid Head can have an origin story when he's a manifestation born from James. Unless they're adding more to James 😬

I remember one time he said the only time he would ever come back to make another SH game is if they let him kill off PH forever in the first scene, lol. He's so sick of that character.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game makes his origin abundantly clear. But hey, a new origin means they can keep bringing him back even where he doesn't fit because he is just so "iconic" or some shit. This remake is going to be so fucking awful, and it will be the only reasonable legal way to play SH2 for the forseeable future. Between this and Ascension they should have let the series rest.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay sure, please completely fuck up one of my favorite games of all time. I want this to be a disaster now.

At least my other favorite franchises continue to get great remakes.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe but then again, there's generations of people who have only experienced Pyramid Head in games like Dead By Daylight. That could potentially be a selling point lol.
I just kind of lament that the series got to the point where like of course they were going to make a big deal about Pyramid Head here, I can't blame them. It was the most obvious thing to do when remaking a game like this. It just feels like cheap pandering "Hey, scary guy with the big knife everyone knows is in this one!!", when there's obviously so much more you can say about about the character and the entire game.

"Fan favourite character Pyramid Head" it sounds like they're about to add him to Smash Bros, lmao.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Ito has been vocal about many things that obsessed fans and video essayist have been incorrectly extrapolating from the game, like that its snow and not ash etc and people have still argued that he's wrong. It's a lost cause.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't those two separate things? The return of Pyramid Head *and* an origin story, most likely being Born From A Wish?

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I remember one time he said the only time he would ever come back to make another SH game is if they let him kill off PH forever in the first scene, lol. He's so sick of that character.

I absolutely love this tweet while he has a an profile pic of PH lol Pyramid Head's gonna haunt him forever. Konami turned him into the series' mascot

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Synopsis: Pyramid Head was an american 30 year old male called Jack that came to Silent Hill looking for his… sister… and after fighting off sexy nurses (which represented his lust for his… sister?), rabid dogs (which represent his wrath for his… sister?) and Polygon Head, it is revealed to him that he killed his sister right before entering Silent Hill and that the whole town is a representation of his guilt. Just as Alessa Gillespie finishes name dropping every Silent Hill 1 character and disappears into thin air, Jack removes the polygon helmet out of Polygon Head, and wears it, transforming it into a Pyramid helmet. This is a metaphor for guilt too. The entire story is a metaphor for guilt.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping this is just a case of poor wording and it actually means "Pyramid Head is here, as is Born From a Wish".

A Pyramid Head origin story is the kind of idea that stands to add nothing to the narrative or the character. If that is indeed what we're getting, I'm preparing for the shlockiest of shlock.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Synopsis: Pyramid Head was an american 30 year old male called Jack that came to Silent Hill looking for his… sister… and after fighting off sexy nurses (which represented his lust for his… sister?), rabid dogs (which represent his wrath for his… sister?) and Polygon Head, it is revealed to him that he killed his sister right before entering Silent Hill and that the whole town is a representation of his guilt. Just as Alessa Gillespie finishes name dropping every Silent Hill 1 character and disappears into thin air, Jack removes the polygon helmet out of Polygon Head, and wears it, transforming it into a Pyramid helmet. This is a metaphor for guilt too. The entire story is a metaphor for guilt.

Also you should feel very bad for him for wanting to have sex with his sister. You see, it's the bad people who are the ones who you should be sympathetic for, not their victims. We are very deep and very controversial. Please make video essays and reaction videos about our games.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah....I'm just going to ignore all the new Silent Hill games.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Crazy that Pyramid Head was James' brother, Tommy Sunderland, the whole time. He has a nondescript mental illness or something, I don't know.

Trick_GSF

Nov 2, 2017
Damn, I am not even a Silent Hill fan, but isn't this kind of sacrilege?

His fairly well loved by fans, right? Akin to Nemesis or Lisa Trevor from RE?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I am not even a Silent Hill fan, but isn't this kind of sacrilege?

His fairly well loved by fans, right? Akin to Nemesis or Lisa Trevor from RE?

Part of the problem with Pyramid Head is that he's literally a manifestation of James' own particular psyche. He's a reflection of James Sunderland specifically. And so every time they try to trot him out in another game or use him in a movie or recontextualize him, it weakens the original character more and more.

We know what his deal is, it isn't a mystery. It doesn't need "deepening". But Bloober has absolutely no ideas and Konami has never understood Silent Hill as a publisher, but they know PH is marketable. So here we are.