• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

origin story huh

• Pyramid Head had a family which was murdered by James

Votes: 98 12.4%
  • you mean Red Pyramid Thing?

Votes: 49 6.2%
  • oh god no

Votes: 451 56.9%
  • i have faith (somehow)

Votes: 15 1.9%
  • hope we get the "date him" ending

Votes: 115 14.5%
  • now the dog ending better be in i swear

Votes: 62 7.8%
  • turns out its origin story was a misunderstanding from a store, huh

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
silent hill is vague and ambiguous about many things, but what pyramid head is and how it was created is one of the things its said very clearly

you want your OC donut steel content make a bonus episode about how eddie or angela see the city or playing as laura, ffs

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Can't wait for Bloober's Nobel quality writing
Angela: My dad abused me
James: Hey! I knew your dad, he was a great guy

"If I write an origin story that is reaaaalllyy dumb, maybe people will stop finding the character cool and I can be free!"

He just need to say PH was ALWAYS a black woman and suddenly gamers™ all around the world will hate it.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
People are bringing up the great point that Pyramid Head isn't even a character. Now I'm wondering if Bloober actually, truly believes he is one which makes me worried. They really don't get it.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair Konami already did a weird "origin" story scenario for Maria come to think of it. Not that this isn't less dumb
That came across as something they were forced to do cuz Konami wanted an incentive for the Xbox ver. But Maria is a single entity created by the town that has a will outside of James, so her having a prequel chapter at least does no harm. She even leaves the town with him as a real person in some endings. Pyramid Heads don't really act autonomously like she does.

Brunero

Dec 16, 2022
Everything I read about SH 2R and Ascension makes me even more eager for Silent Hill f. In Ryukishi07 we trust to deliver us a proper SH game!

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
If Final Fantasy was owned by Konami:

Edea: "I was possessed by Sephiroth this whole time."
Squall: "Seifer…oth?"

May 31, 2022
Everything I read about SH 2R and Ascension makes me even more eager for Silent Hill f. In Ryukishi07 we trust to deliver us a proper SH game!

Ascension to me has been an absolute trainwreck and SH 2 remake I'm not too optimistic for. Silent Hill f certainly sounds more interesting than the SH 2 remake for me.

Jul 24, 2018
That came across as something they were forced to do cuz Konami wanted an incentive for the Xbox ver. But Maria is a single entity created by the town that has a will outside of James, so her having a prequel chapter at least does no harm. She even leaves the town with him as a real person in some endings. Pyramid Heads don't really act autonomously like she does.
I dob't really see her as a living entity at all, especially since she litterally gets killed during the elevator section and then returns later like nothing. She's as much a non entity as the other monsters of the town whose whole existence is to punish James and the other inhabitants.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This. In Battler we trust.

ymy5iu5m4yl41.jpg

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't there a No Code game on sale right now on PSN? I forgot what it's called but I heard it's good.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I dob't really see her as a living entity at all, especially since she litterally gets killed during the elevator section and then returns later like nothing. She's as much a non entity as the other monsters of the town whose whole existence is to punish James and the other inhabitants.
She's more like an entity like Alessa/Cheryl/Heather: a partial psychic clone of a real person created by the gods.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an internal listing for now? I can't find a product page on Best Buy.

Not that I don't believe it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Are we going to play some mini game inside James head?
I hope so. Silent Hill 2 would be much improved if it had one of those "Dream Sequence Therapy Sessions," that games love to include nowadays.

You know, the ones where the MC walks through a misty - probably B&W - version of past events as the people they love shout their worst insecurities at them. Maybe they encounter a demon version of themselves or something. Then they get out and are magically fixed because of a five-minute haunted house ride.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't read too much into people's use of the word "character" to describe PH, because that's been common for a long time.

View: https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/985916127808249857

View: https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1556381491990757376?lang=en

Also this...what fucking origin story? You get explanation what/who Pyramid is in SH2, how do you give origin story to that?
It would be wild if the idea of an "origin story" for PH is giving James a bunch of new content before he hops in the car and drives to SH.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Will check it, I was actually sleeping on it. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm still reading Umineko, no spoilers please 😂

If you have PS+ Extra, No Code's Observation is available with the service. Excellent, unique game. Another of their games, Stories Untold, is usually dirt cheap (like $2 to $5 when on sale) and well worth experiencing. That team is extremely creative. I could understand pretty quickly with Observation why they are under Annapurna's umbrella now.

Dec 30, 2020
It will introduce his father Dodecahedron Head, whose weapon of choice is a bloody grand piano which he bludgeons people to death with.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo...

prologue about James killing Mary and spoiling everything lol?
Bloober seems like the kind of studio that would gladly try to pull a "You thought you were looking at XYZ, but it turns out what was actually happening was this!"

Ito would obviously say no to that lol

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Oh for fucks sake. Why?!

Pyramid Head having an origin story that's anything other than what the original SH2 set it out as will either make no sense, be several orders of magnitude worse than the original one, or most likely, both.

It's perfect the way it is. I'd go so far as to say changing it actively diminishes James as a character.

Brunero

Dec 16, 2022
If you have PS+ Extra, No Code's Observation is available with the service. Excellent, unique game. Another of their games, Stories Untold, is usually dirt cheap (like $2 to $5 when on sale) and well worth experiencing. That team is extremely creative. I could understand pretty quickly with Observation why they are under Annapurna's umbrella now.

Ooooh, Stories Untold was great, didn't know the team was making a Silent Hill game. Incredible news, so now I have 2 SH games to look forward to hahah

Yeah that's what I keep telling myself.
But then I remember that it's being developed by the studio that's main claim to fame is Resident Evil Resistance and Resident Evil ReVerse.

Well, RoboCop Rogue City is superb and was done by the team who made Rambo. So let's hope f's developer has a similar glow up as Teyon has in the past decade. At least the story should be good

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Yup game is garbage bin now for sure. I was already insanely skeptical of Bloober Team doing anything with this story and that just cemented it.

Funny thing is I can see this as a both Konami AND Bloober Teams fault. For one thing Konami has consistently used enemies from 2 in marketing ANYTHING Silent Hill related. Despite the fact that 2's enemies are all designed around it's characters psychological trauma/fear/insecurities.

Bubble-headed nurses have been in a ton of shit, but for no reason other than Konami found them marketable. Pyramid Head has been in a ton of stuff as a "mascot" of the series despite the creature really not having any ties to the town at all outside of James himself.

They've tried to replicate the Pyramid Head gimmick with creatures like "The Butcher" from origins too. (Kinda worked with Walter in 4 though in my opinion)

This is definitely an attempt at seperating a creature intrinsically tied to James. Silent Hill is dead. I will always love the first 4 games, the series just stopped having any kind of vision after that. Shattered Memories was alright though imo, and Origins is pretty decent too.

I'm just going to pretend this game doesn't exist. Maybe F will be good, it doesn't even take place in Silent Hill so I have hope that it'll just do it's own thing.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Maria is going to say some cringe shit like "Wanna FUCK ME James?" 🤦‍♂️ Bloober is as subtle as powerdrilling at 5 AM.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
In Ryukishi07 we trust to deliver us a proper SH game!

I'm interested in seeing another game by him and SH could be a cool vehicle for that, but I don't think we should expect a "proper Silent Hill". It will most likely be Rk07 through and through.

Last edited:

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
I'm assuming they want to add more context to the executioners' history in SH and the "misty day" painting?

71b1f9c6f85b3ef464854ce8976a6bf4b3eec89b_00.jpg

Otherwise, I don't know what else you could do – without missing the point of the original, that is.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I'm interested in seeing another game by him and SH could be a cool vehicle for that, but I don't think we should expect a "proper Silent Hill". It will most likely be Rk07 through and through.
I mean... what definition of "proper Silent Hill" are you using? Ryukishi hasn't really written video games like this and I seriously doubt he's gonna write it like a VN.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... what definition of "proper Silent Hill" are you using? Ryukishi hasn't really written video games like this and I seriously doubt he's gonna write it like a VN.

Pithy, metaphoric, subtextual. Ryukishi07, I feel, leans far more pulpy, melodramatic and exposition-heavy than the ideal SH in my mind.