• now the dog ending better be in i swear

Votes: 62 7.8%
  • turns out its origin story was a misunderstanding from a store, huh

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
There will be totally a new ending where James puts on the helmet and just straight up becomes Pyramid Head.

squidward-deflating.gif

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I don't think a dumb DLC bullet point is enough to say this game will be bad. We haven't seen it yet. I'm excited for this.

First time when it comes to Silent Hill+Bloober discussion? šŸ„“

It's always like this.
No one cares that the listed director/writer isn't the person that wrote/directed Layers of Fear or The Medium. No one cares that their studio will be absolutely scrutinized over THIS project- and an embarrassing failure could be catastrophic for them.
The doubts are understandable and justified, but it certainly doesn't make any of these threads any easier to navigate through if you have ANY kind of hope.

With all of the shit Bloober has eaten since the moment this game was confirmed, I hope they hit a home run. I'm sure there are good, hard working people in that studio that have had to read about how much 'they are total garbage' for over a year now from people on the internet.
Wishing them the best. This is a tough fuckin business.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
It's one thing to add ambiguity and cool vibes. It's another when players say "James is totally looking at the player!" and Ito going "NO he isn't I literally rigged the the model for the cutscene" and fans in a very normal and not at all insane way replying "no you're wrong"

Yeah I totally get it. My point is that it would've been better to avoid replying to deny fan theories, especially when they're good ones. It won't hurt to let these theories swim.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
With all of the shit Bloober has eaten since the moment this game was confirmed, I hope they hit a home run. I'm sure there are good, hard working people in that studio that have had to read about how much 'they are total garbage' for over a year now from people on the internet.
It's interesting to think that even if Bloober surprises everyone and delivers a good remake, it will then be a matter of people combing through the differences and debating what was a "Bloober idea", a "Konami idea", and an "Ito idea (that was backed by Konami)".

Given my past experiences with Bloober games, my natural optimism is losing out, but I would love for this game to be worth every dollar.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
1338836210153_2034061.png

Look, I'll be right there to criticise the game if it comes out and is bad, but that one line in the OP is like nothing to go off.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

It's always like this.
No one cares that the listed director/writer isn't the person that wrote/directed Layers of Fear or The Medium. No one cares that their studio will be absolutely scrutinized over THIS project- and an embarrassing failure could be catastrophic for them.
The doubts are understandable and justified, but it certainly doesn't make any of these threads any easier to navigate through if you have ANY kind of hope.

I agree. I think they'll surprise people. SH fans won't like it but SH fans already don't like SH so at some point it evens out.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
First time when it comes to Silent Hill/Bloober discussion? šŸ„“

It's always like this.

Serious question. Have you played Bloober games? Because there is not exactly a lot of reasons to give them benefit of the doubt.
I have played pretty much everything since first Layers and they are pretty whatever studio.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
4cf.png

I look forward to finding out about Pyramid Head's Sk8er Boi origins.

silent-hill-skate.gif

It's why Konami gave us the skateboard merch.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
nobody will understand where pyramid head comes from, we need to show with a sledgehammer that IT'S TRAUMA AND GUILT

pyramid head dialogue : "i was inside you all along james, you have to face the truth of your sins, COME AT ME JAMES"

He's going to literally burst out of James's head.

Wonder if Pyramid Head will cry and begin the story "I was once at a party and couldn't get a seat and was told to leave".

Can you imagine sitting behind him at a movie?

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
It will be absolutely incredible to me if they miss the point of Silent Hill 2, perhaps THE most studied and analyzed horror game ever made, this hard.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I am not even a Silent Hill fan, but isn't this kind of sacrilege?

His fairly well loved by fans, right? Akin to Nemesis or Lisa Trevor from RE?
The issue is he's inside James head, he's a representation of James hell/ the act he did that the whole game about. There's no origin story unless the origin story is focused on James outside of SIlent Hills.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The only way I could see this 'working' is if it's a side-story set in the past, of the town executioners depicted in the paintings at the museum. So not technically Pyramid Head, but what James likely subconsciously took on board during his tourist visit.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

It's always like this.

I'd like it to be great but Bloober have a lot to prove, they've yet to make a great game imo (though Observer had its moments), and most of their stuff is pretty one note. Also, the listed creative director of SH2R (going off the remake wiki page) was also the creative director of The Medium:

www.mobygames.com

Mateusz Lenart - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Mateusz Lenart - MobyGames

I'm not sure how involved they were if any in the writing for The Medium, but considering they don't have writing credits in their mobygames profile I'm skeptical Bloober isn't using their usual team of writers for the remake in some capacity.

Sam Barlow said it best that the entire project is a 'poison chalice', there's no reality where it isn't going to get scrutinized to hell and back by the fanbase. I'll at least give Bloober credit for the undertaking alone given that added pressure, not an enviable position to be in!

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Serious question. Have you played Bloober games? Because there is not exactly a lot of reasons to give them benefit of the doubt.
I have played pretty much everything since first Layers and they are pretty whatever studio.

Yes. Haunted house-level 'horror' experiences from a small studio with Layers of Fear and Blair Witch. Competent and creative DESIGN with The Medium with unfortunate narrative ham-fistery (not a word, I know.) Observer is supposedly their best work, but I haven't played it.
For an independent studio that specializes in horror they seem at least technically capable. My thought is with the right material (i.e. remake of an established classic) they can elevate themselves.

Yet to be seen with THIS project, but IMO this isn't Double Helix or Vatra circa late '00s and early '10s. More experience and, core content aside, better development delivery.

Any more info on this? I just assumed it was The Medium team top to bottom.

Prepared for ridicule, but per IMDB- Mateusz Lenart. Not sure why anyone outside of Bloober would insert this information if it's not true.
The Medium technical team- sure. It's the A-teamā€¦ and this is as much of an A-team project as Bloober could ever hope to get now. But with almost no public info available, I'm not seeing Bloober 'auteur' Andrzej Madrzak anywhere near this. YET.

*edited Observation to Observer šŸ« 

Last edited:

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I think that's mostly his style rather than a factor of the medium. There are plenty visual novels that are more concisely written and focus less on self-explanation. He seems to like weaving these elaborate stories and fractured narrative structure. I haven't read Iwaihime though, so perhaps it's different. I read up a little about its themes, and his earlier work didn't fill me with confidence that he'd pull it off.

About Umineko, I read the question arc but didn't want to engage with the answer arc, because the pacing of the story and its delivery weren't working for me. I really enjoyed the majority of Higurashi though! If he re-imagines aspects of Hinamizawa as a Silent Hill style town, I think that could be very interesting.
Umineko is his magnum opus. If you only got halfway through then I can see why you wouldn't understand yet but once you figure out how that story operates there's no way you could question his ability to work with metaphor and subtext. It's fine if his style isn't for you and it's fine if Umineko didn't grab you but he is definitely capable of having the layers needed to tell a good Silent Hill story.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
1338836210153_2034061.png

Look, I'll be right there to criticise the game if it comes out and is bad, but that one line in the OP is like nothing to go off.
It doesn't take amazing powers of foresight to know this will be bad. A tiny bit of pattern recognition makes it clear there's virtually no chance this will be the one to break the trend of both awful Silent Hill projects and bad Bloober games.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
What.

What?

Welp there goes the 'as long as they leave the story alone' copium. Fuck.

Hecht

Pushinā€™ me down, pushinā€™ me down, pushinā€™ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
That line is worded reallyā€¦weirdly. Like it could also be "Pyramid Head is back" AND "there's also an origin story (of some sort)"

the other reading makes sense too, and if true, what the fuck, but could it not just be Born From A Wish?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
To be fair, the way the sentence is worded kind of makes it sound like Pyramid Head and the "origin story" are two separate/unrelated things, which were just awkwardly combined into one bullet point.

...Kind of.

I do not have much faith either way here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
What.

What?

Welp there goes the 'as long as they leave the story alone' copium. Fuck.

It's unlikely to be integrated into the main story and will likely just be an optional story that can be played through. So like I mentioned earlier, people can just ignore it like they already do with Born From a Wish.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't take amazing powers of foresight to know this will be bad. A tiny bit of pattern recognition makes it clear there's virtually no chance this will be the one to break the trend of both awful Silent Hill projects and bad Bloober games.

I mean, that's basically going off nothing but assumptions, given how little we've seen of the game.