• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you just going to sit there eating pizza?

• Yes

Votes: 551 92.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 7.2%

• Total voters

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

(big thanks to Angie22 for the custom graphic)

Welcome to Silent Hill ERA! The official (RESURRECTED!) Silent Hill community of ResetERA! Unload some psychological baggage, relax, have a slice of pizza or a Queen Burger, and share your thoughts, dreams, or fears regarding the series. Although the series began 21 years ago, many are still finding their way to the old foggy town for the first time, so please be considerate with spoilers should a newcomer join the community. With that said- enjoy your time here!

-INTRO TO THE TOWN-

Q6bBssr.jpg

(credit to artist Amy Balot)

What is Silent Hill?
Silent Hill is a survival-horror video game series by Konami set in the titular fictitious American resort town of Silent Hill (and, in a few instances, its neighboring towns). The series is heavily influenced by the genre of psychological horror, specifically pulling from writers such as Ray Bradbury, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, H.P. Lovecraft, as well as filmmakers including David Lynch, Adrian Lyne, David Cronenberg, and John Carpenter. At the heart of each story is generally an average person that finds themselves trapped in the town, falling into the nightmarish horrors manifested by the town itself... and even occasionally manifested from within the protagonist's own mind.
Although the town's supernatural origins & machinations remain open to interpretation, it's clear from the stories from within the foggy hamlet that the manifestations can be at both times punishing and, depending on the sins acknowledged or the darkness embraced, rewarding for those that find themselves lost among the lonely streets and dark interiors.
One way or another, a trip to Silent Hill is sure to be a life-changing experience for all who visit! But hey- at least there is a beautiful lake to admire. And an amusement park!

-THE GAMES-
(game descriptions from The Silent Hill Wikipedia page )

Silent Hill
(1999)

"The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
u5MIV13.png

The game that started it all- The first installment in the series follows Harry Mason as he searches for his missing adopted daughter in the mysterious town of Silent Hill. Stumbling upon a cult conducting a ritual to revive a deity it worships, Harry discovers his daughter's true origin. Multiple game endings are possible, depending on in-game actions taken by the player. It was released in 1999 for the PlayStation. In 2009, the game became available for download from the European PlayStation Network store for the PlayStation 3 and the PlayStation Portable and later, in the same year, from the North American PlayStation Network store.

Dir. Keiichiro Toyama
Opening

Silent Hill 2
(2001)

"In my restless dreams, I see that town- Silent Hill. You promised you'd take me there again someday... but you never did..."
uvXmONw.png

The second installment in the series follows James Sunderland searching for his deceased wife in Silent Hill after having received a letter from her informing him that she is waiting for him there. After searching in and exploring the mysterious town, he ultimately realizes her death's true nature. It was released in September 2001 for the PlayStation 2. An extended version of the game was released for the Xbox in December of the same year as Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams in North America and Silent Hill 2: Inner Fears in Europe, and for the PlayStation 2 in 2002 as Silent Hill 2: Director's Cut, with a port of the Director's Cut to Microsoft Windows released in December 2002.

Dir. Masashi Tsuboyama
Opening

Silent Hill 3
(2003)

"Remember me, and your true self as well, also that which you must become. The one who will lead us to paradise with blood stained hands."
kdycEhz.jpg

The third installment in the series follows a teenage girl named Heather as she becomes caught in a conflict within Silent Hill's cult and discovers her true origin. It was released in May 2003 for the PlayStation 2, with a port to Microsoft Windows released in October of the same year. Silent Hill 3 is a direct sequel to the first installment in the series.

Dir. Kazuhide Nakazawa
Opening

Silent Hill 4: The Room
(2004)
"Five days ago... that's when I first had the nightmare. I haven't been able to get out of my room since then."
xj1pTp6.jpg

The fourth installment in the series follows Henry Townshend, who finds himself locked in his apartment as strange phenomena begin to unfold around him and other residents of the building. It was released in 2004 for the PlayStation 2, Xbox and Microsoft Windows and it also marked the end of Team Silent's contributions to the series.

Dir. Suguru Murakoshi
Opening

Silent Hill Origins
(2007)
"The lonely moon... You've always been there for me, haven't you?"
WOmV72r.jpg

The fifth installment in the series is a prequel that follows trucker Travis Grady, who becomes trapped in Silent Hill after rescuing a girl from a burning house. During his quest to find the fate of the burned girl, he encounters characters from previous installments and is forced to face his past. It was developed by Climax Studios and released in 2007 for the PlayStation Portable, with a port for the PlayStation 2 released in 2008 and was also the first Silent Hill title developed outside Japan. It is known as Silent Hill Zero in Japan.

Dir. Mark Simmons

Silent Hill: Homecoming
(2008)
"This place has a bad history. Always has."
fcKKCbX.jpg

The sixth installment in the series follows Alex Shepherd, a soldier who has returned from a war overseas. Alex discovers upon his arrival that his father has gone missing, his mother has become catatonic, and no one can provide the whereabouts of his younger brother, Joshua. The game chronicles Alex's search to find his missing brother. It was developed by Double Helix Games and released in 2008 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and in 2009 for Microsoft Windows.

Dir. ???

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
(2009)
"You were always on my mind..."
u7HoIk2.png

The seventh installment in the series is a reimagining of the first installment. Shattered Memories retains the premise of the original game—Harry Mason's quest to find his missing daughter in the American town of Silent Hill—but is set in what appears to be a different fictional universe, following a different plot, with characters from the first game appearing altered alongside new ones. Gameplay takes place in two parts: a framing, first-person psychotherapy session with an unseen patient, and an over-the-shoulder perspective of Harry's journey through Silent Hill, periodically interrupted by the occurrence of a shift to an alternate dimension where he is pursued by monsters. Developed by Climax Studios for the Wii in December 2009, with ports for the PlayStation 2 and the PlayStation Portable released in January 2010.

Dir. Mark Simmons

Silent Hill: Downpour
(2012)

" You might not guess by looking at it, but this place used to be filled with all kinds of visitors. Moms and dads and little kids and... Yeah, it was a really nice place."
V3NDRQ3.jpg

The eighth installment in the series follows Murphy Pendleton, a prisoner who is stranded in Silent Hill after his prison transport vehicle crashes. It was announced in April 2010 and developed by Vatra Games for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on March 13, 2012.

Dir. Manny Ayala

Silent Hill: Book of Memories
(2012)

"Press X to SMASH the Great Knife!"
g3J0bnG.png

The PlayStation Vita entry, Silent Hill: Book of Memories, was released in October 2012. The RPG, also serving as a spin-off, was developed by WayForward Technologies. Book of Memories utilizes an overhead isometric view, follows a new storyline and features returning creatures from the series' fictional universe, as well as cooperative gameplay; the game is the first installment in the series to feature multiplayer gameplay. According to series producer Tomm Hulett, Book of Memories' gameplay "will be largely different from the one established in previous installments in the series, focusing on cooperative multiplayer action rather than traditional psychological horror."

Dir. Adam Tierney

Silent Hill HD Colle....no....just NO!

-CREATORS/DESIGNERS TO KNOW-

Keiichiro Toyama
w1zqdom.png

-Director, Writer, & Background Design-Silent Hill 1; currently a lead director and designer at Sony's SIE Japan Studio. (2021 Edit: Toyama left SIE Japan Studio in the autumn of 2020 and has opened his new studio: Bokeh Game Studio)

Masahiro Ito
LwnqQej.jpg

-Creature Design, Art Design, & Background Design - SH1, SH2, SH3.

Akira Yamaoka
nGqFszz.jpg

-Composer, Sound Design - SH1, SH2, SH3, SH4, SH Origins, SH Homecoming, SH Shattered Memories.

Hiroyuki Owaku
jbDWvXS.jpg

-Event Programmer - SH1; Scenario Writer - SH2, SH3.

Akihiro Imamura
dy0qp7t.jpg

-Game Programmer - SH1; Producer - SH2, SH4.

Takayoshi Sato
ZTvWpHl.jpg

-Character Design/CG Design/Story/Scenario Design - SH1, SH2; currently a Visual Producer at Nintendo Co. Ltd.

-The Future of Silent Hill (?)-

Although the game series has been dormant since the release of October 2012's Silent Hill Book of Memories for the Playstation Vita, in 2014 new life was injected into the series with the release of the mysterious PS4 digital P.T. (Playable Teaser) demo. It turned out to be a playable announcement for a new game in the series, Silent Hills, as a creative collaboration between Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear series) and Guillermo del Toro (Oscar winning director of The Shape of Water). In 2015, the project had been announced as cancelled... and the rest is history.

Or is it?

The series is seemingly stirring back to life. In 2020, rumors have whirled around the fanbase involving Sony's Japan Studio rebooting Silent Hill for the PS5, some new Silent Hill merchandise has popped up in Japan, the multiplayer survival game Dead by Daylight has added a Silent Hill add-on, and a new Silent Hill Twitter account has appeared. Could we be in store for a new Silent Hill game in the near future? Nothing is absolutely confirmed, but the Magic Flauros is pointing to a hopeful, optimistic yes!

K4Y9NAB.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh wow, I didn't realize they locked the former thread. Well, I just want to say I only ever made positive posts in there and never lost hope.

Anyways, awesome OP!

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for making this TheJollyCorner!

I can now start defending Shattered Memories once more!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is your reminder that despite not being a super great game in practice, Silent Hill Downpour had a lot of cool ideas that could be used to far greater effect in a game that wasn't effectively budget-compromised from minute one.

Bring back the free town exploration and sidequests whenever a full-fledged sequel gets made. More of those little vignettes, please.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate the thread, OP! Long live our misery, and I'm looking forward to the vindication when the new game gets announced 🤤

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Nice thread. Reminds me I need to replay 1 and 2 and finally play 3 and 4.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
This is your reminder that despite not being a super great game in practice, Silent Hill Downpour had a lot of cool ideas that could be used to far greater effect in a game that wasn't effectively budget-compromised from minute one.

Bring back the free town exploration and sidequests whenever a full-fledged sequel gets made. More of those little vignettes, please.
Now that I think on it, The Evil Within 2 feels like a natural progression from Downpour.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think on it, The Evil Within 2 feels like a natural progression from Downpour.

In some ways, I can see what you mean, but Haven doesn't feel as "coherent" as Silent Hill, probably due to the whole VR nature of the thing. You're not actually exploring a real place, so the vignettes aren't quite as effective.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm planning to play through Homecoming and Downpour for the first time this year. Pretty interested to check them out as they're the last two SH games I have to play, not counting the GBA play novel or Book of Memories. I actually had an alright time with Origins, so I imagine I'll find something to like in those two as well.

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Huh, radio. What's going on with that radio?

I've been listening to a lot of ambient Silent Hill music/sounds lately. Could be a good backdrop to reading this thread:

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Anyone have SH playthroughs planned for Spooktober? I've not played SH2 in about 6 years so I'll be giving the PC Enhanced Edition a whirl this time. I just got it set up last week and it's a real treat.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Glad to see this is doing better then the last community thread.

Downpour is a great Silent Hill game don't @ me.

Ok you can, but I really love Downpour.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning to play through Homecoming and Downpour for the first time this year. Pretty interested to check them out as they're the last two SH games I have to play, not counting the GBA play novel or Book of Memories. I actually had an alright time with Origins, so I imagine I'll find something to like in those two as well.

Homecoming has an amazing soundtrack, a few good moments and some fun atmosphere even if it's too beholden to the Silent Hill film. Downpour is a messier game overall but its sidequests add a lot to the town and address an issue I've had problems with for a lot of the Team Silent games - the fact that Silent Hill doesn't feel like a real place where people actually LIVE, which is bizarre because Silent Hill has to exist as a real place for the narrative to even make sense.

Downpour actually remembering that yes, Silent Hill is an actual location in the real world, and there are things happening in town that AREN'T directly related to torturing the protagonist was nice, and I want more of that moving forward.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, been putting off playing these for a long time. Too afraid I guess.

I get you, I just completed Amnesia yesterday after having put it off exactly for the same reason... It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

4 has probably my most feared enemies in the series. Those damned ghosts, I just can't.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Silent Hill 1 and 2 are some of my favourite games of all time. I still need to beat 3 and 4 though!

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Anyone have SH playthroughs planned for Spooktober? I've not played SH2 in about 6 years so I'll be giving the PC Enhanced Edition a whirl this time. I just got it set up last week and it's a real treat.

I plan to do a Silent Hill 1 (original PS1 version) run next month. It'll be my first time playing it in maybe 10 years or so.
Looking forward to spewing my thoughts and nostalgia in this thread!

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND...

We're back!

Amazing work by the folks in the community, happy to continue what we started in the rumor thread.

Deleted member 4179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good timing. Replaying SH1 currently since it's spooky season. Still every bit as unnerving as it was when I first played the demo.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4, the only SH I've never beat. Just did not click with me.

Downpour is better than Homecoming.

2 is still the King.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Great thread OP. Subscribing. I consider SH one of the best and most interesting series in the medium, with lots of potential, sadly Konami's fuckery is never-ending so who knows wthat the future holds. I consider SH2 one of the best if not the best experience i haver had in my gaming life.

Glad to see this is doing better then the last community thread.

Downpour is a great Silent Hill game don't @ me.

Ok you can, but I really love Downpour.

Downpour I believe is the only game which plot wise doesn't make a lot of sense. You can say what you want about Origins and Homecoming, but once you analyze them you can say the themes of those games hold strong. The more you analyze downpour the less sense the game makes, no matter which ending.

Last edited:

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I actually really enjoyed Downpour back when it came out.

I would love for a new Silent Hill game with a larger budget to explore some of those same ideas.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ᖇᗩYᔕᑭᗩᑕE

No really, I'm glad this community exists. Silent Hill is awesome. I'm doing a replay of the original trilogy, planning on working through the rest as well!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Downpour I believe is the only game which plot wise doesn't make a lot of sense. You can say what you want about Origins and Homecoming, but once you analyze them you can say the themes of those games hold strong. The more you analyze downpour the less the game makes, no matter which ending.

Downpour is, in a lot of ways, a Silent Hill 2 homage developed by people who don't quite understand Silent Hill 2.

The fact that the ending you get actually retcons Murphy's past rather than determining his future only complicates things further.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Well done on the thread! Will make a fine place to discuss the new Silent Hill game. ;)

Downpour is, in a lot of ways, a Silent Hill 2 homage developed by people who don't quite understand Silent Hill 2.

The fact that the ending you get actually retcons Murphy's past rather than determining his future only complicates things further.
Not only does the ending you get retcon Murphy's past but they didn't even do that correctly. In one of the endings the game gives you the version of his past for the opposite set of choices you made. They confirmed it was a mistake but I don't believe they ever went back and fixed it.

I also maintain Downpour was decent, though. Game was a complete mess but it could have been something great. I still prefer it to at least Origins and Homecoming, though I think all of the games have at least something to offer.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I really wish we'd had more games from Climax studios. Origins was a decent enough effort, and Shattered Memories was fantastic - a third title from them could have been something special.