• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I expect the stream to start with a black screen and then white text starts fading in... it says "Abandoned".

Then it distorts in a very Silent Hill-esque fashion and the text turns into "Ascension".

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I was so excited for today, but now after everyone seems to hate this Bloober company, I'm less excited even though I never played The Medium. :(
There's multiple games in development and multiple announcements, so don't give up yet. There could be at least one (even a few) that grips you.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Suspiria (2018) wasn't a remake or a modernisation, but a brand new film with the same general premise. According to the director, it was an homage to how he felt when he watched the original film for the first time, which is why it worked so well (and the original is still widely available).

How would you define a remake? Suspiria (2018) was marketed as a remake, was a work that couldn't be done unless Luca Guadagnino secured the rights to the original, and was textually in dialogue with the original. Sure, it introduced things that the original didn't (e.g. the sociopolitical slant) but "Actually, it's not a remake" was a topic I don't remember that was widely discussed. People just accepted that it was a remake because that's what the marketing implied, and thinkpieces post-release inevitably compared the differences between the two.

If Bloober Team was taking the premise of Silent Hill 2, but making it their own vision (similar to what Shattered Memories and Siren: Blood Curse did) and it came from a more creative place, that would be different.

Would it though? The last time we talked you were so adamant that death of the author cannot apply to a title as "personal" and as "impenetrable" as SH2. Making your own vision off of a preexisting premise is an act that fundamentally needs you to kill the author so you yourself can do your own writing. Are you now okay with this remake purportedly having new endings? With the inevitable cleaner camera that won't express James's troubled state of mind as overtly? I'm not sure what you want outside of a dev team other than Bloober to handle the remake, but that's a non-starter given the confirmations we're now receiving.

I think one difference between film and games is the level of access. The original Susperia is still super easy to access, whereas the original Silent Hill 2 is harder to get your hands on, outside of emulation.

This is something the RE4 remake will avoid, given how omnipresent the original game still is on modern hardware. If the original Silent Hill games were still just as available, it wouldn't be as big of a deal to folks, I suspect.

I think their concerns also stem from the folks handling the remake. Susperia had Luca Guadagnino, fresh off of Call Me By Your Name. Bloober Team however has an almost constant string of releases that mangle their mental health subject matter in pretty irresponsible ways, which (given the subject matter of Silent Hill 2) has been a lot of people's primary cause for concern.

Yeah, we did talk about all this. It's a DK frustration I strongly resonated with. I agreed with him that I wish the original (and the other titles while we're at it) was easily available. I just want to be excited about this remake because it's been way too long, and maybe it's easier for me to be excited because I don't have history with Bloober, but I don't need to be right for being excited. I just don't want to feel wrong.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Silent Hill 2 Remake was always the least interesting thing about the revival projects anyway. If we get Sakura today alongside announcements of a proper SH5 and the Annapurna thing, there will be plenty to check out even for people who refuse to touch the Bloober SH2.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
How would you define a remake? Suspiria (2018) was marketed as a remake, was a work that couldn't be done unless Luca Guadagnino secured the rights to the original, and was textually in dialogue with the original. Sure, it introduced things that the original didn't (e.g. the sociopolitical slant) but "Actually, it's not a remake" was a topic I don't remember that was widely discussed. People just accepted that it was a remake because that's what the marketing implied, and thinkpieces post-release inevitably compared the differences between the two.
I was referencing this:

www.indiewire.com

Luca Guadagnino Isn’t Remaking ‘Suspiria’: ‘It’s An Homage to the Incredible Emotion I Felt When I Saw It’

Don’t expect Luca Guadagnino’s “Suspiria” to be anything like Dario Argento’s classic.

Would it though? The last time we talked you were so adamant that death of the author cannot apply to a title as "personal" and as "impenetrable" as SH2. Making your own vision off of a preexisting premise is an act that fundamentally needs you to kill the author so you yourself can do your own writing. Are you now okay with this remake purportedly having new endings? With the inevitable cleaner camera that won't express James's troubled state of mind as overtly? I'm not sure what you want outside of a dev team other than Bloober to handle the remake, but that's a non-starter given the confirmations we're now receiving.
I'm only talking about the remake in replies to my inbox, since people don't want me to talk about it until we see something, but here's one of my older comments.

Bloober remaking Silent Hill 2 is the video game equivalent of Paul W.S. Anderson remaking 2001: A Space Odyssey. If this were a faithful remake or a full reimagining that stands on its own (a la Siren: Blood Curse, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, and Suspiria), it would have a chance. However, they're going the Resident Evil 2 route and adding endings while changing the gameplay and narrative.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, we did talk about all this. It's a DK frustration I strongly resonated with. I agreed with him that I wish the original (and the other titles while we're at it) was easily available. I just want to be excited about this remake because it's been way too long, and maybe it's easier for me to be excited because I don't have history with Bloober, but I don't need to be right for being excited. I just don't want to feel wrong.
For sure. I think fatalism is a huge drag, and I know how you feel. The Bloober games I've finished don't make me hopeful for this, but I'm always rooting for a new Silent Hill release to be good. No one's wrong for feeling being excited about stuff.

Silent Hill 2 Remake was always the least interesting thing about the revival projects anyway. If we get Sakura today alongside announcements of a proper SH5 and the Annapurna thing, there will be plenty to check out even for people who refuse to touch the Bloober SH2.

This too. Here's hoping the remake is able to retain a lot of what made the original so good, for a new audience, but the new games help cushion the blow regardless of how it turns out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I expect the stream to start with a black screen and then white text starts fading in... it says "Abandoned".

Then it distorts in a very Silent Hill-esque fashion and the text turns into "Ascension".

I don't think Abandoned will be mentioned even a little bit. That scam doesn't even deserve joke references.

Oct 30, 2017
I was so excited for today, but now after everyone seems to hate this Bloober company, I'm less excited even though I never played The Medium. :(
I believe they can deliver a good remake since it's already being build on an existing basics and with the involvement of two of the most solid pillars of the original series Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I believe they can deliver a good remake since it's already being build on an existing basics and under the supervision of two of the most solid pillars of the original series Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka.

I am just so curious to see if they're able to resist the urge to put "their own spin" on an absolute gaming masterwork and, like, put a bunch of new stupid Bloober endings into it.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I believe they can deliver a good remake since it's already being build on an existing basics and with the involvement of two of the most solid pillars of the original series Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka.

Akira Yamaoka never did anything with the games outside music, which is important on one level, but his involvement means nothing about any other element. He did the music for every Silent Hill game sans Downpour. His involvement means pretty much nothing outside the music will be good. Ito is different, but one has to assume he has a lot of direct involvement and isn't just doing art design as he did for other post-Team Silent games.

Oct 30, 2017

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Wrong.

He was also involved with the production of the original series as well.

He became a Producer on SH3 and 4, but his primary job on all the titles were related to music. This is pretty well known and you can see it in the official credits

www.mobygames.com

Akira Yamaoka Video Game Credits and Biography - MobyGames

Akira Yamaoka has been credited on games developed by the following companies: Team Silent, Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo, Inc., Grasshopper Manufacture Inc., Konami Corporation, Climax LA, Climax Solent, Yuke's Co. Ltd., Konami Computer Entertainment Hawaii, Inc., Climax Studios Limited...

And as I said, he did that for every game outside Downpour. So his involvement doesn't mean much outside music

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Wrong.

He was also involved with the production of the original series as well.
Only Silent Hill 3-4. He had no involvement with the stories of the first two games and has even given bad information:

Notes from the Director - Silent Hill Memories

Silent Hill movie: information, review, cast, props, media, photos, videos

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/adsk4/status/1216647897267097600

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/adsk4/status/1417144804966690820

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/adsk4/status/1417148997848887298

He also served as a story consultant on the western games, which didn't stop them from contradicting the originals.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
As I mentioned, He was involved in the production in the original series.. so I said nothing untrue here.

Yeah, and neither have we, because it's well known his primary job was about music and sound design. His 'involvement' didn't help Origins, Homecoming, Shattered Memories, or Book of Memories. He was 'involved' with The Medium, too. So like I said, outside music, I don't think his involvement is going to matter all that much. But the sound and music should be very good at least